It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom 
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Jinnistan wrote:
I had a different reaction to both. The "campy" parts of Curry's performance were, I felt, a bit necessary in order to believe how a child would have found him inviting enough to stop in the rain and chat with him in a sewer. Curry was more dynamic, able to switch from the playful, harmless clown that could earn a child's trust, and twisting into a rancid thing of terror. Skarsgard had the blessing of a much better funded FX department for the latter, but right from the opening I never felt Curry's warmth, and as such I couldn't believe that the brother didn't just run away instinctively from this weirdo sitting in a sewer grate in a downpour. Skarsgard didn't have Curry's seductive amiability. Instead, he was just creepy, almost always. And as a creep, he was very effective and scary in primal ways. But also in a strictly "do not touch" kind of way that even a child could understand. #zeldawisdom

This is a good point, hadn't thought of it, but I think I agree with you.

Sun May 20, 2018 12:46 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

Logistically, yes, I think the notion of Skarsgard's appearance and manner would hardly lure any child in close. Most obviously in the opening scene with Georgie. There is hardly any concern on the boys face as he comes upon this miraculously weird situation of a clown being trapped down a sidewalk grate. And as hard as it is to believe any child would reach in towards him, it is the barely concealed malevolence of the scene that makes it work for me, not in a way I understand a child would act like in the real world, but in the way we all can behave in a nightmare, where there can be almost a dark gravity that seems to compel us towards something that is clearly a danger. So while, yes, it doesn't really jive with the fairly realistic portrait of childhood in a small town the movie mostly sticks to, it is what gives the scene the horror of some kind of fate that can't be resisted, even when it is an evil that can hardly be bothered to disguise itself. It is usually how I like my horror, primitive, hardly based on the observable ways we really react, but instead the ways we worry we inexplicably might.

And this is also a good point, as the film really does work like one long nightmare.

Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm

While the scares in conception where tailored to the individual characters' nightmares, I found that they played too similarly in execution to be engaging, bringing the loud noises too readily and rarely varying the beats. I think the performances go a long way in making the movie work as well as it does, but as a horror movie I don't think it's very good.

Sun May 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Rock wrote:
While the scares in conception where tailored to the individual characters' nightmares, I found that they played too similarly in execution to be engaging, bringing the loud noises too readily and rarely varying the beats. I think the performances go a long way in making the movie work as well as it does, but as a horror movie I don't think it's very good.

Pretty much how I felt. I agree that Skarsgard was great, which is why I wish the film had trusted his performance and not punched it up with all the digital shenanigans and loud noises. I mean, we've all seen way worse movies so it was fine, I just didn't connect with it. I went because a friend invited me and unless she does so for part 2 I'm not necessarily planning on seeing that one.

Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 pm

besides the special-effects stuff, maybe he would have better off if the filmmakers hadn't designed the Pennywise costume to be so Obviously Scary.

Sun May 20, 2018 11:01 pm

This movie will divide audiences into two distinct camps. Those that think watching this stupid movie can improve any day. And those that can go fuck themselves.

7/10

Fri May 25, 2018 12:47 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

This movie will divide audiences into two distinct camps. Those that think watching this stupid movie can improve any day. And those that can go fuck themselves.

7/10

Is this a remake of the Linda Blair semi-classic?

Fri May 25, 2018 8:03 pm

Wooley wrote:
Is this a remake of the Linda Blair semi-classic?

This is really more of a Halloween remake, but instead of Michael Myers, we have a corpse like Satanic priest who is inside of a mental institution waiting for the night he can 'return home' for the anniversary of the murders he committed years ago. But this Michael Myers surrogate also tells really bad one liners when he dispatches victims and instead of pursuing baby sitters, he is after douche bros at a frat house. It is a mix of scenes that are weird and stupid, and scenes that actually seem to work as horror. It's also got Darren McGavin as the Donald Pleasence role, growling warnings, at least until his day and a half or required shoots was up.

Fri May 25, 2018 8:31 pm

A movie that answers the question, who would win in a fight, Hulk Hogan or a shark? At least until you realize it's not Hulk Hogan. And then every hope you had for this film buckles beneath the weight of such a tremendous disappointment.

Not Hulk Hogan discussing the intricacies of shark anatomy

Sun May 27, 2018 10:02 am

I'm more disappointed that's not Geoffrey Lewis.

The cruelest of shark-punching mustaches.

Sun May 27, 2018 12:21 pm

If we could get films like this stamped with a crummy seal of approval, the confident and austere visage of Wilfrid Laurier guaranteeing the absolute minimal talent legally allowed in a commercial product, the thrifty quasi-ept wut-the-fuckery of this gut-slinging madhouse of a movie being only occasionally burdened with brief bouts of lucidity, thankfully dispelled by terrifying moog squiggles. I hope this film scared a lot of undiscerning children.

This is a well-known MST3K later episode, but watching it without the bots is still a pretty ridiculous venture, not least being Rick Baker's (lol) FX work. Another Laurier-approved spectacle product.

Sun May 27, 2018 12:58 pm

I've lusted after Stunt Rock since watching the trailer years ago but could never find it. Today I learned it's streaming on Amazon and it was everything I hoped it would be and more. Big grin on my face for the duration. By the halfway point I was on Ebay buying the soundtrack CD.
Everyone else has seen this one, right?

Sun May 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

I've lusted after Stunt Rock since watching the trailer years ago but could never find it. Today I learned it's streaming on Amazon and it was everything I hoped it would be and more. Big grin on my face for the duration. By the halfway point I was on Ebay buying the soundtrack CD.

No, but you have my attention.

Sun May 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

Stunt Rock is everything.

Sun May 27, 2018 3:35 pm

Wooley wrote:
No, but you have my attention.

The trailer tells you everything you need to know. It's mostly a montage of stunts from other films, held together by the tiniest thread of a plot. The stunts are occasionally interrupted by lengthy segments featuring the band Sorcery in concert. All killer/no filler, in other words. One's enjoyment will depend on his/her appreciation for Glam-Prog, of course. My only beef is that Amazon's print is severely pan-and-scanned, to the point where seemingly important bits were offscreen. But yeah, this is one that delivers what the trailer promises and more.

Sun May 27, 2018 9:24 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

The trailer tells you everything you need to know. It's mostly a montage of stunts from other films, held together by the tiniest thread of a plot. The stunts are occasionally interrupted by lengthy segments featuring the band Sorcery in concert. All killer/no filler, in other words. One's enjoyment will depend on his/her appreciation for Glam-Prog, of course. My only beef is that Amazon's print is severely pan-and-scanned, to the point where seemingly important bits were offscreen. But yeah, this is one that delivers what the trailer promises and more.

I miss the days when having a wizard on-stage was actually cool.

Mon May 28, 2018 1:09 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Another Laurier-approved spectacle product.

While a pro at drafting Canadian legislation, and ever so eloquent at explaining the need for solidarity between French and English speaking Canada, Laurier often struggled when articulating the virtues of "The Sinful Dwarf". Little man, lots of tits, hardly seemed to suffice.

Mon May 28, 2018 3:35 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Laurier often struggled when articulating the virtues of "The Sinful Dwarf". Little man, lots of tits, hardly seemed to suffice.

I think I've found the appropriate emblem, to place in a tiny corner of all Laurier-approved titles. The honesty in advertising, and the promise of wary, verboten gratifications.

Mon May 28, 2018 6:04 am

Jinnistan wrote:

This is a well-known MST3K later episode, but watching it without the bots is still a pretty ridiculous venture, not least being Rick Baker's (lol) FX work. Another Laurier-approved spectacle product.
California Laaaaady, anyone?

Mon May 28, 2018 10:12 am

1) The Exorcist
2) 2001: A Space Odyssey
3) Beware of a Holy Whore
4) Hollywood Cop
5) Passion of Joan of Arc

Sometimes top 5 lists just need to be revised. Sorry Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 am

Raping. Robbing. Kidnapping. Killing. What a tagline.

Wed May 30, 2018 11:43 am

ski petrol wrote:
Raping. Robbing. Kidnapping. Killing. What a tagline.

The Action Never Stops!

Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 am

crumbsroom wrote:
4) Hollywood Cop

If Rock has seen Hollywood Cop, he totally agrees with this.

Wed May 30, 2018 12:47 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

The Action Never Stops!

When I see a tagline like that it says to me Family Movie Night.

Wed May 30, 2018 1:50 pm

ski petrol wrote:

When I see a tagline like that it says to me Family Movie Night.

Stop typing. Watch this amazing movie. Or don't. Who cares?

Wed May 30, 2018 1:54 pm

After two days, and three viewings of Ken Russell's "The Devils", it can't be helped but to start wondering what exactly has gone wrong in my life.

I blame Trump.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:48 am

crumbsroom wrote:
After two days, and three viewings of Ken Russell's "The Devils", it can't be helped but to start wondering what exactly has gone wrong in my life.

Wrong? Sounds like a tremendous weekend to me. When I got my rip of the BFI verion last year, I don't know if I achieved three viewings in 48 hours, but I came close a couple of times. "They are the devil's tears."

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:30 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Wrong? Sounds like a tremendous weekend to me. When I got my rip of the BFI verion last year, I don't know if I achieved three viewings in 48 hours, but I came close a couple of times. "They are the devil's tears."

I obviously agree, which is why I maybe should rephrase the question as "What is wrong with us?"

And while Reed and Redgrave get to set off most of the ghastly fireworks here, let's give a shout out to how good Dudley Sutton is in this.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:27 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Sorry Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:00 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Ha! I can't ignore a review like that, so I watched it, and wow! I'd only seen Gothic before this, so I was unprepared for so much... perfection.

Isle of Dogs ▪ Eika Katappa ▪ Johnny Guitar ▪ The Devils ▪ Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told ▪ Sisters, or the Balance of Happiness ▪ The Thing ▪ Madame X: An Absolute Ruler ▪ American Ultra

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:47 pm

After watching a ton of Ken Russell a few years back I came to the conclusion that The Devils is by far my favorite of his. Worth watching are his BBC specials. Have you seen those crumbsroom?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:07 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I was unprepared for so much... perfection.

"I have a great need to be united with God." :up:

I think this is Russell's best, but I'm fond of many of his films from this era - Women in Love, The Music Teacher, Savage Messiah. Mahler - and I don't even mind his more indulgent period of the later 70s. Oddly enough, I've always found Gothic to be a misfire and a missed opportunity, as the subject matter is so appropriate to Russell, but it feels...restrained? Somehow? Maybe had he made it a decade earlier. The more campy Lair of the White Worm and the less hinged Crimes of Passion are, for me, his last great films.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 am

crumbsroom wrote:
let's give a shout out to how good Dudley Sutton is in this.

Ha, I call him "evil Mickey Dolenz". Charred femur, anyone?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:24 am

There are so many reasons this isn't a good movie, and none of them are worth talking about.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:52 am

crumbsroom wrote:
There are so many reasons this isn't a good movie, and none of them are worth talking about.

I agree with about 80% of the words in that sentence.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:17 pm

The director of Phobe gives some important shout outs in its closing credits

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:41 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

1) The Exorcist
2) 2001: A Space Odyssey
3) Beware of a Holy Whore
4) Hollywood Cop

Sometimes top 5 lists just need to be revised. Sorry Killing of a Chinese Bookie

Better than Samurai Cop (from the same auteur)????

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:47 pm

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
Better than Samurai Cop (from the same auteur)????

It's better than Passion of Joan of Arc, what do you think?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:51 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

It's better than Passion of Joan of Arc, what do you think?

That there's the possibility you somehow have not seen Samurai Cop given its absence?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:47 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Ha! I can't ignore a review like that, so I watched it, and wow! I'd only seen Gothic before this, so I was unprepared for so much... perfection.

Gothic isn't a particularly good movie, but I'm a decent enough fan. You should definitely dig deeper into Russell though. I'm a big tubthumper for outlandish, ridiculous, uncompromising directors, so I am biased, but there is a lot to love that he has to offer. Women in Love, Lair of the White Worm and Crimes of Passion are particular favourites. All of them are worth giving a shot though. Even the shitty ones. This also applies to Tommy and Listozmania, which are pretty clearly stupid and awful movies, but there is just so, so much to admire beyond what doesn't work, they become essential.

Just so you are aware though, The Devils is definitely his best work.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:30 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
That there's the possibility you somehow have not seen Samurai Cop given its absence?

While Shervan may be a junk auteur, he is only allowed one movie to be considered better than anything by Dreyer.

I know Samurai Cop is the most loved of his movies, but give the opening mafia pool party scene in Hollywood Cop a quick sniff if you get your hands on it. You will quickly realize that it is prime garbage. It should be bowed down to.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:33 am

crumbsroom wrote:

While Shervan may be a junk auteur, he is only allowed one movie to be considered better than anything by Dreyer.

I know Samurai Cop is the most loved of his movies, but give the opening mafia pool party scene in Hollywood Cop a quick sniff if you get your hands on it. You will quickly realize that it is prime garbage. It should be bowed down to.

I'm likely going to make an impulse purchase next paycheck.

Have you seen Dangerous Men? It's another attempt at 80s action from an Iranian director, though he gave himself the wonderful anglicanized name of "John Rad" because of how Rad he is. It's almost like he wanted to make Samurai Cop but wasn't competent enough to pull it off.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:08 am

crumbsroom wrote:
This also applies to Tommy and Listozmania, which are pretty clearly stupid and awful movies, but there is just so, so much to admire beyond what doesn't work, they become essential.

I like those a lot more than Valentino, which is just lazy self-parody.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:38 am

crumbsroom wrote:
You should definitely dig deeper into Russell though.
Oh, I definitely will. Amazon Instant has The Lair of the White Worm and Crimes of Passion to get me started. Has anyone seen The Boy Friend?

Isle of Dogs ▪ Eika Katappa ▪ Johnny Guitar ▪ The Devils ▪ Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told ▪ Sisters, or the Balance of Happiness ▪ The Thing ▪ Madame X: An Absolute Ruler ▪ American Ultra

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:47 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Has anyone seen The Boy Friend?

I'm not the biggest fan of the music of this particular era, but Russell's visual dazzle remains impressive.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:45 am

crumbsroom wrote:

that movie poster looks like a gag from The Simpsons

Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I like those a lot more than Valentino, which is just lazy self-parody.

I haven't seen Valentino, but I think Tommy and Lisztomania come perilously close to self parody as well. It just so happens that they are also frequently pretty inspired, regardless of how determined Russell is to go off the rails here. Both have significant sections that make me cringe, and I have a history of actively disliking almost everything about Roger Daltry (especially his awful fucking acting), but I have no qualms in returning to both of these films repeatedly for everything that works in them. When they work, they are like small miracles.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:14 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

that movie poster looks like a gag from The Simpsons

It's a great poster. Unfortunately, as for the movie, it's a stupid premise executed terribly. It does have Burt Young phoning his performance in with a bunch of cigar chewing, but that is about all it offers. The rest of the film is little more than people looking alarmed before getting sucked into some sand, culminating in possibly the least climactic climax in the history of shitty movies. Having your final battle with the enemy while your protaganists are completely out of danger, far away, waiting for the perfect moment to push the plunger on some dynamite, is hardly something to get the pulse pounding.

Stupid, awful, stupid, bad.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:22 am

Early De Niro spree.

Ivan Passer was a Czech filmmaker and early collaborator with Milos Forman who would also emigrate to America, and Born To Win marks his US debut. He's probably best known for the neo-noir Cutter's Way, but that's still a few years off. Win is a lot more crude, but this, along with the grimy unrestored print currently available, only adds to the very appropriately crude and grimy environs of circa 1970 NYC heroin hustlers.

George Segal has never been one of my favorite actors, and although he manages some admirable work here, very much off-type for him, he still displays a lot of that hammy acting! that's better suited to his comedies. Better are the performances of Karen Black, as well as early appearances from De Niro (as a no-bullshit vice cop), Hector Elizondo (as a steely-eyed dealer) and Burt Young (as bemused mafia muscle). The film has moments, and is probably on par with Panic in Needle Park, excepting a performance as memorable as Pacino's.

I found this on Prime, but it's a bit misleading. This isn't actually The Swap, but the original Sam's Song. The latter 1969 film was re-edited a decade later, after De Niro was a big star, with new scenes to introduce a murder mystery and actresses like Sybil Danning and Lisa Blount. It kinda notoriously sucks, and has been a constant in dollar bins throughout various discount stores ever since. So I was perfectly pleased to find out that what was on Prime was the original which I hadn't seen in that incarnation.

It still sucks, mind you, but not as shamelessly. It has some ambition, and some well-intentioned but poorly expressed New Wave influence. This film is much more about romantic ennui, with De Niro playing a young, struggling filmmaker who takes a weekend vacation at a home of some rich friends, which includes Jennifer Warren as the wife of his friend who has some very ill-concealed affection for ol' Bobby, whom, ambiguously as the material allows, reciprocates the quiet chemistry. Instead, De Niro manages to get along with another decadant, lovely young girl, and eventually everyone gets their feelings hurt. De Niro is much more in comic mode here, charming and magnetic but also prone to bursts of silliness. Warren (an underrated actress best known from Night Moves) is mysteriously compelling throughout. But the film, written/directed by Jordon Leondopolous who only has a couple of other editing gigs on his resume, is sloppy, too inert most of the time (he's no Rohmer), and full of unearned drama that the actors cannot possibly compensate for. But, at least it's better than The Swap, which is just ridiculous.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:49 am

You've seen Hi, Mom! I'm guessing? That's prime early Dinero.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 550 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next