It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom 
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

ThatDarnMKS wrote:

If I made a movie set in 1950s Germany and had a bunch of former Nazis hunting monsters that looked exactly like Jewish stereotypes, with huge noses, hoarding money, stealing children, poisoning Wells and manipulating society from the shadows, but I gave them throat flutes and had Adam Sandler say "these aren't really Jews" then slink off screen after one scene and didn't have a single other Jewish character, would you see how accusations of racism and anti-Semitism might be called for?

I'm not sure that's the movie I saw.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:43 pm

ski petrol wrote:
I haven't seen Bone Tomahawk but I remember it came out shortly before Kurt Russell's appearance in The Hateful Eight. A rather good chat fest.
The Hateful Eight was a weird one for me; on the one hand, I didn't really like it, but on the other, even though it's critically the least-regarded entry in Tarantino's recent "historical" trilogy of movies, I actually though it was better than either Basterds or Django. I mean, it was still quite unfocused, self-indulgent, and disappointing through most of its basic storytelling choices (too much needless chatter, too many over-the-top, overly cariactured "characters"), but the final act of the film still managed to develop some legitimately interesting dynamic among the various players involved, to the point where I liked it just slightly so better than I thought I initially did. Again, still not a great film on the whole, but it was still a slight step in the right direction for Tarantino as far as I was concerned, so it gives me some slight hope for his future projects.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:46 am

Oh, Canada. You promote this movie as if it's an early John Candy vehicle, but yet, he's only in a handful of scenes during the last third as a rookie detective with few laughs. Instead, what we have is an Anthony Newley vehicle which *cough* naw, fuck that. Nobody asked for it. Nobody wants it. This is, I presume, why nobody remembers it after 43 years. Except 25 year old John Candy, because somebody had no idea about how to utilize his tremendous talents. Oh sure. Isaac Hayes. Who does have the film's only genuinely earned horselaugh when he inadvertantly creates life. But just to keep it all honest - that's a small diamond in the relative dross. Anthony Newley is dead now, for nearly 20 years. I hope that someone kicked him square in the balls when they had the chance, the sour-faced fuck.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:45 am

Jinnistan wrote:
it's an early John Candy vehicle, but yet, he's only in a handful of scenes during the last third as a rookie detective with few laughs

This is always my go-to whenever I want to just barely see John Candy in a movie

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:25 pm

Wooley wrote:
I'm not sure that's the movie I saw.

In what way did the frogs differentiate themselves from the "Savage" stereotype that was used to dehumanize and justify genocide of Native people?

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

This is always my go-to whenever I want to just barely see John Candy in a movie

I feel confident that this is already a much better movie than Good Idea! even assuming that that's not Anthony Newley getting face-stabbed on the poster.

And incidentally, any good recommendations on choice Anthony Newley face-stabs would be much appreciated.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13