It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:23 pm



Reply to topic  [ 824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
 Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Quote:
Attempts were made, but it is not possible to find a still that makes it look like this man is in the middle of a run.
:D

_________________
Bird Box ▪ Crazy Rich Asians ▪ Support the Girls ▪ Roma ▪ Boom for Real ▪ Nancy ▪ Hearts Beat Loud ▪ Summer 1993 ▪ Spotlight on a Murderer ▪ Leave No Trace ▪ Ismael's Ghosts ▪ Museo ▪ Unsane

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf


Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:07 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:
Image

Hey Ladies. Just play a little Seger on the jukebox and he's all yours.

I bet James Brolin is more of an ELO man.


Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Rock wrote:

I've never bothered delving deeper into D'Amato's filmography as too much of it seems like complete schlock, but I'd be curious to see if he has anything else of this modest level of quality.


I can't remember if I've seen Beyond the Darkness, but if I have, my gut is telling me it was stupid. That's about as far as I've gone.

I probably prefer Absurd to Anthropophagus. But probably only slightly. Both are a bit of a slow burn, but they manage to be compelling even when not much is happening.


Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Jinnistan wrote:
I bet James Brolin is more of an ELO man.


I just want to see the both of them engaged in an air guitar duel (preferably Thin Lizzy). The loser gets hit with an axe.


Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

I intended to watch Anthropophagus during my 80s October but I ran out of time.
Can someone tell me if the film is anywhere near as distasteful as this poster?
Image

(I'm hoping the answer is yes)

_________________
Captain's Log


Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:19 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Captain Terror wrote:
I intended to watch Anthropophagus during my 80s October but I ran out of time.
Can someone tell me if the film is anywhere near as distasteful as this poster?
Image

(I'm hoping the answer is yes)


There is a very limited amount of gore in it. It really goes more for creepy suspense, kind of like a Who Could Kill a Child (but not nearly as good). When it does get violent though, it makes sure to blow its load all at once.


Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

D'Amato's Death Smiles on a Murderer might be worth a look. Klaus Kinski raises the dead. And that's about all I remember.


Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:26 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:

There is a very limited amount of gore in it. It really goes more for creepy suspense, kind of like a Who Could Kill a Child (but not nearly as good). When it does get violent though, it makes sure to blow its load all at once.

That poster is a lot to live up to. When I first saw it I thought there's no way the movie is this awesome. I've been burned too many times in the past to fall for it again.

_________________
Captain's Log


Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Captain Terror wrote:
I intended to watch Anthropophagus during my 80s October but I ran out of time.
Can someone tell me if the film is anywhere near as distasteful as this poster?
Image

(I'm hoping the answer is yes)


I've seen bits and pieces of it, and some of the gore was pretty intense.


Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

undinum wrote:
D'Amato's Death Smiles on a Murderer might be worth a look. Klaus Kinski raises the dead. And that's about all I remember.

It’s groovy but Kinski is barely in it and isn’t even villainous. His necromancy is only done in an investigative capacity.


Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
It’s groovy but Kinski is barely in it and isn’t even villainous. His necromancy is only done in an investigative capacity.


I thought you had mentioned this one recently. I knew it sounded vaguely familiar for a reason.


Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Captain Terror wrote:
I intended to watch Anthropophagus during my 80s October but I ran out of time.
Can someone tell me if the film is anywhere near as distasteful as this poster?
Image

(I'm hoping the answer is yes)


It's one of those ones with a super sicko moment that makes em famous or banned


Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:40 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Image


Motorbikes. Muscle magazines. Also bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

I was equally irritated as I was mesmerized by this movie.

Greatest movie of all time.

8/10


Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:10 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

I have still not seen any of Verhoeven's early work. As a Dutch-speaking person, I feel like a fraud.


Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Slentert wrote:
I have still not seen any of Verhoeven's early work. As a Dutch-speaking person, I feel like a fraud.


Walk towards this one with some mild caution.

Move immediately towards The Fourth Man.


Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Slentert wrote:
I have still not seen any of Verhoeven's early work. As a Dutch-speaking person, I feel like a fraud.

I watched 3-4 of his Dutch films last year and The 4th Man was my favorite of them. Alas, I couldn't find Spetters at the time.

_________________
Captain's Log


Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Captain Terror wrote:
I watched 3-4 of his Dutch films last year and The 4th Man was my favorite of them. Alas, I couldn't find Spetters at the time.


It's really good and one of his best but definitely not for all tastes. It basically takes a monkey wrench to tacky, bro-ish coming of age films, with all of its unchecked misogyny and homophobia, and smashes those conventions over the head. Whether doing this absolves it of those sins or becoming so aggressive in its images simply doubles down on these problems, I'm not entirely sure. But as it becomes darker and more surreal, it begins to pick up more and more of these amazing little visual touches and narrative detours. It's kind of amazing. And ugly. And sad. And beautiful. And horrifying. You know, basically Verhoeven when he's doing what he is meant to do.


Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:30 am
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

The only Dutch Verhoeven film I've seen is Soldier of Orange. It's great and goes well with Army of Shadows and Age of Shadows as an unofficial trilogy. If only it were called Soldiet of Shadows.


Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
The only Dutch Verhoeven film I've seen is Soldier of Orange. It's great and goes well with Army of Shadows and Age of Shadows as an unofficial trilogy. If only it were called Soldiet of Shadows.


I've been holding onto that one for awhile. Not sure why I haven't watched it yet. I guess it just hasn't been the right time.

4th Man is essential, so that should be addressed immediately. I think most people could live a fine life never experiencing Spetters, but I'm certainly glad I got around to finally putting it on. I'm still trying to process it, and figure out what parts of it were wonderful and what parts were awful.


Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:35 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Turkish Delight, folks.

Also, I see where Verhoeven has a new lesbian nun movie coming out soon.


Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Jinnistan wrote:
Turkish Delight, folks.


We can live in a world where both Spetters and Turkish Delight matter.

But Spetters is better.

I haven't seen Turkish Delight.


Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:04 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:
I haven't seen Turkish Delight.

I haven't seen Verhoeven's first one, Business is Business, a sex comedy that looks....intriguing.


Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:13 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:

I've been holding onto that one for awhile. Not sure why I haven't watched it yet. I guess it just hasn't been the right time.

4th Man is essential, so that should be addressed immediately. I think most people could live a fine life never experiencing Spetters, but I'm certainly glad I got around to finally putting it on. I'm still trying to process it, and figure out what parts of it were wonderful and what parts were awful.

I always have an eye out for Verhoeven's Dutch work but they're usually OOP. Just glanced at eBay and grabbed a 4th Man for $8. The best I've ever seen it.

You definitely should give it a gander. It adds a lot of layers to his work on Starship Troopers.

I'll probably pick up Spetters during the next Kino sale. I have a copy of Elle just sitting there, mocking me.


Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:16 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Jinnistan wrote:
Also, I see where Verhoeven has a new lesbian nun movie coming out soon.

It just got delayed. It was supposed to premiere at Cannes 2019, but now they'll probably wait for the edition of 2020.


Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DJ Rkod and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.