It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom 
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Quote:
Attempts were made, but it is not possible to find a still that makes it look like this man is in the middle of a run.
:D

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:07 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Hey Ladies. Just play a little Seger on the jukebox and he's all yours.

I bet James Brolin is more of an ELO man.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 am

Rock wrote:

I've never bothered delving deeper into D'Amato's filmography as too much of it seems like complete schlock, but I'd be curious to see if he has anything else of this modest level of quality.

I can't remember if I've seen Beyond the Darkness, but if I have, my gut is telling me it was stupid. That's about as far as I've gone.

I probably prefer Absurd to Anthropophagus. But probably only slightly. Both are a bit of a slow burn, but they manage to be compelling even when not much is happening.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I bet James Brolin is more of an ELO man.

I just want to see the both of them engaged in an air guitar duel (preferably Thin Lizzy). The loser gets hit with an axe.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 pm

I intended to watch Anthropophagus during my 80s October but I ran out of time.
Can someone tell me if the film is anywhere near as distasteful as this poster?

(I'm hoping the answer is yes)

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:19 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

There is a very limited amount of gore in it. It really goes more for creepy suspense, kind of like a Who Could Kill a Child (but not nearly as good). When it does get violent though, it makes sure to blow its load all at once.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 pm

D'Amato's Death Smiles on a Murderer might be worth a look. Klaus Kinski raises the dead. And that's about all I remember.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:26 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

There is a very limited amount of gore in it. It really goes more for creepy suspense, kind of like a Who Could Kill a Child (but not nearly as good). When it does get violent though, it makes sure to blow its load all at once.

That poster is a lot to live up to. When I first saw it I thought there's no way the movie is this awesome. I've been burned too many times in the past to fall for it again.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

I've seen bits and pieces of it, and some of the gore was pretty intense.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:02 am

undinum wrote:
D'Amato's Death Smiles on a Murderer might be worth a look. Klaus Kinski raises the dead. And that's about all I remember.

It’s groovy but Kinski is barely in it and isn’t even villainous. His necromancy is only done in an investigative capacity.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
It’s groovy but Kinski is barely in it and isn’t even villainous. His necromancy is only done in an investigative capacity.

I thought you had mentioned this one recently. I knew it sounded vaguely familiar for a reason.

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 am

Captain Terror wrote:

It's one of those ones with a super sicko moment that makes em famous or banned

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:40 am

Motorbikes. Muscle magazines. Also bunch of other stuff I can't remember.

I was equally irritated as I was mesmerized by this movie.

Greatest movie of all time.

8/10

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:10 pm

I have still not seen any of Verhoeven's early work. As a Dutch-speaking person, I feel like a fraud.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 pm
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
I have still not seen any of Verhoeven's early work. As a Dutch-speaking person, I feel like a fraud.

Walk towards this one with some mild caution.

Move immediately towards The Fourth Man.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:22 pm

Slentert wrote:

I watched 3-4 of his Dutch films last year and The 4th Man was my favorite of them. Alas, I couldn't find Spetters at the time.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I watched 3-4 of his Dutch films last year and The 4th Man was my favorite of them. Alas, I couldn't find Spetters at the time.

It's really good and one of his best but definitely not for all tastes. It basically takes a monkey wrench to tacky, bro-ish coming of age films, with all of its unchecked misogyny and homophobia, and smashes those conventions over the head. Whether doing this absolves it of those sins or becoming so aggressive in its images simply doubles down on these problems, I'm not entirely sure. But as it becomes darker and more surreal, it begins to pick up more and more of these amazing little visual touches and narrative detours. It's kind of amazing. And ugly. And sad. And beautiful. And horrifying. You know, basically Verhoeven when he's doing what he is meant to do.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:30 am

The only Dutch Verhoeven film I've seen is Soldier of Orange. It's great and goes well with Army of Shadows and Age of Shadows as an unofficial trilogy. If only it were called Soldiet of Shadows.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:12 am

ThatDarnMKS wrote:
The only Dutch Verhoeven film I've seen is Soldier of Orange. It's great and goes well with Army of Shadows and Age of Shadows as an unofficial trilogy. If only it were called Soldiet of Shadows.

I've been holding onto that one for awhile. Not sure why I haven't watched it yet. I guess it just hasn't been the right time.

4th Man is essential, so that should be addressed immediately. I think most people could live a fine life never experiencing Spetters, but I'm certainly glad I got around to finally putting it on. I'm still trying to process it, and figure out what parts of it were wonderful and what parts were awful.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:35 am

Turkish Delight, folks.

Also, I see where Verhoeven has a new lesbian nun movie coming out soon.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Turkish Delight, folks.

We can live in a world where both Spetters and Turkish Delight matter.

But Spetters is better.

I haven't seen Turkish Delight.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:04 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I haven't seen Turkish Delight.

I haven't seen Verhoeven's first one, Business is Business, a sex comedy that looks....intriguing.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:13 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

I've been holding onto that one for awhile. Not sure why I haven't watched it yet. I guess it just hasn't been the right time.

4th Man is essential, so that should be addressed immediately. I think most people could live a fine life never experiencing Spetters, but I'm certainly glad I got around to finally putting it on. I'm still trying to process it, and figure out what parts of it were wonderful and what parts were awful.

I always have an eye out for Verhoeven's Dutch work but they're usually OOP. Just glanced at eBay and grabbed a 4th Man for $8. The best I've ever seen it.

You definitely should give it a gander. It adds a lot of layers to his work on Starship Troopers.

I'll probably pick up Spetters during the next Kino sale. I have a copy of Elle just sitting there, mocking me.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:16 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Also, I see where Verhoeven has a new lesbian nun movie coming out soon.

It just got delayed. It was supposed to premiere at Cannes 2019, but now they'll probably wait for the edition of 2020.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 pm
Profile WWW

People should really watch lots more Chabrol.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:00 pm

I think I need to find a better entry point. I've seen a handful and the only one I really found absorbing was Merci Pour Le Chocolat, entirely on the basis of Isabelle Huppert's performance. The others (Les Biches, which I think is supposed to be one of his classics, and The Bridesmaid) I recognized were well made but couldn't bring myself to give more than half a hoot about.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:06 pm

Rock wrote:
I think I need to find a better entry point. I've seen a handful and the only one I really found absorbing was Merci Pour Le Chocolat, entirely on the basis of Isabelle Huppert's performance. The others (Les Biches, which I think is supposed to be one of his classics, and The Bridesmaid) I recognized were well made but couldn't bring myself to give more than half a hoot about.

He's a weirdo who deserves giving many chances to. Specifically A Double Tour, and Le Boucher, and This Man Must Die.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:21 pm

So it looks like A Double Tour has Belmondo (by looks like, I mean from squinting at the poster above) and BSV carries a copy, so that one's probably the safest bet.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 pm

Rock wrote:
So it looks like A Double Tour has Belmondo (by looks like, I mean from squinting at the poster above) and BSV carries a copy, so that one's probably the safest bet.

I think it is possibly one of the best movies to draw a viewer into what he does, even though its not the most typical of his other works. It's eccentricities are a little more inviting to the audience than his sometimes almost leisurely paced, almost anti-septic weirdness. This is the movie that really unearths the freak that is buried just beneath the surface of his super refined and almost invisible style. It's fun and tense and funny and creepy. I would consider it very near his best (maybe even his best)

Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:05 am

Ok, so I grabbed that today and will check it out over the weekend. Also Paradise Alley and Alone in the Dark (not the Boll).

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:57 am

Rock wrote:
Ok, so I grabbed that today and will check it out over the weekend. Also Paradise Alley and Alone in the Dark (not the Boll).

Alone in the Dark I think was alright. Is Paradise Alley the one with Sylvester Stallone? I don't think I've ever seen that. Report back because I love Sly and pickings are becoming slim there.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:59 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Alone in the Dark I think was alright. Is Paradise Alley the one with Sylvester Stallone? I don't think I've ever seen that. Report back because I love Sly and pickings are becoming slim there.

Yeah, that's the one. It first came on my radar when mano did a Stallone thread years ago on RT (literally the only non-terrible thing he ever did). I think Ignatiy Vishnevetsky is a fan as well (which is far from a guarantee of actual quality, but the things he likes are never boring).

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:02 pm

Rock wrote:
Yeah, that's the one. It first came on my radar when mano did a Stallone thread years ago on RT (literally the only non-terrible thing he ever did). I think Ignatiy Vishnevetsky is a fan as well (which is far from a guarantee of actual quality, but the things he likes are never boring).

Hopefully, if it is at least half decent, it will postpone my inevitable rewatch of Over the Top.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 pm

I was also just recently trying to remember what 'that' posters name was.

The answer, it seems, was mano.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:10 pm

Do you have any great unsung Stallone movies to recommend off the top of your head? I'm a fan of his big franchises (and probably owe Rocky IV a rewatch soon, given how many times I've played the "If he dies, he dies" clip over the last few weeks), but outside of those and Cop Land I don't know how many great performances he's put out.

Also, unrelated, but have you seen The Trip to Spain? If I remember correctly, you were a pretty big fan of at least the first one. This one doesn't have as many standout moments, but I think it might be the most consistent in that it lets Brydon get in on the assholery (he's definitely the more genial one in the other two, whereas this one balances the scales a little bit).

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:13 pm

Rock wrote:
Do you have any great unsung Stallone movies to recommend off the top of your head? I'm a fan of his big franchises (and probably owe Rocky IV a rewatch soon, given how many times I've played the "If he dies, he dies" clip over the last few weeks), but outside of those and Cop Land I don't know how many great performances he's put out.

I think you've probably tapped out on what's great as well. Nighthawks was alright, but I wouldn't get too excited about it. Also Cobra, but you've must have seen that. And when I was in highschool, I liked Lock Up, but I can't believe that is likely to be anything but terrible if I saw it now. There are a few out there I still want to see. FIST, Lords of Flatbush and Rhinestone. I'm holding out some hope that at least one of these has something for me.

I don't think I saw the third Trip movie, but yes, I did love the first, and I quite liked the second. I was definitely worried about diminishing returns and kind of forgot about the third. I'm more than willing to sign up to see Brydon be the dick though.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:19 pm

And, shit, I don't think I've ever seen Copland.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:21 pm

Rock wrote:

I love Alone In The Dark. Landau and Palance are awesome psychopaths.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:36 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
And, shit, I don't think I've ever seen Copland.

Oh wow, that's one of the best performances of Stallone's career and a pretty good if not great movie.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:37 pm

Rock wrote:

Well, you gotta watch Rhinestone, of course.
Victory and Nighthawks are essential Stallone, in my opinion, also, if you like him as an actor and not just caricature.
Obviously Tango & Cash has to be done, for better or (and?) worse, just for the most self-aware line you're ever gonna hear from a star like that.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:41 pm

Wooley wrote:
Well, you gotta watch Rhinestone, of course.

This is the kind of wisdom I was looking for.

And is Victory that Pele movie? That's something people watch?

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:48 pm

I've seen Tango & Cash and yeah, that line is pretty great, although I think Russell is much more engaging than Stallone in that movie.

Nighthawks I found a pretty solid thriller even if Sly's work in that one isn't standout by any means. And yeah, I'm of the opinion that he's actually a really good actor who hasn't played to his strengths as consistently as some of his peers.

Cobra I have not seen, but it just got a nifty new release from Shout! Factory, so might get to that one soon. I was jonesing to check it out around when Creed II came out only to learn that BSV didn't have a copy.

Rhinestone has also been on my radar, as I refuse to believe it's as bad as its putrid reputation.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:52 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I don't think I saw the third Trip movie, but yes, I did love the first, and I quite liked the second. I was definitely worried about diminishing returns and kind of forgot about the third. I'm more than willing to sign up to see Brydon be the dick though.

Brydon is still the less dickish of the two (Coogan still wins easily) but it's nice to see him go on the offensive more in this movie.

In terms of diminishing returns, like I said, there's nothing quite as funny as the dueling Caine impressions in the first one and the "I not going to bury another Batman" in the second one, but there are some pretty awesome bits involving Mick Jagger and Roger Moore.

They're all of similar quality, but I'm tempted to put this one above the others because it minimizes the scenes of them alone and goes all in on the barbs and impressions.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:02 pm

Also, I probably should get around to Tristram Shandy one of these days.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:12 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
People should really watch lots more Chabrol.

I know I should. I think Les Cousins is the only one of his classics that I've seen.

I'm a little more familiar with more recent fare like L'Enfer, Story of Women, L'Ceremonie, Girl Cut in Two.

I don't know why but I have a habit of putting in the category of second-gen French guys, like Berri, Techine and Lelouch. Chabrol is probably the only remaining first-gen New Wave director that I've mostly neglected.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:27 pm

Rock wrote:
I refuse to believe it's as bad as its putrid reputation.

God bless you.

For me, Lords of Flatbush is pretty good. F.I.S.T. is fun but a fascist omen of Stallone to come. I think you've probably already seen his Get Carter remake (inferior, of course, but not insultingly).

For pure camp hyperhomoerotic numbskull trash, I would skip Rhinestone and drive directly into the heart of Staying Alive, one of his few directing efforts he mostly stays out of.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:37 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I know I should. I think Les Cousins is the only one of his classics that I've seen.

I'm a little more familiar with more recent fare like L'Enfer, Story of Women, L'Ceremonie, Girl Cut in Two.

I don't know why but I have a habit of putting in the category of second-gen French guys, like Berri, Techine and Lelouch. Chabrol is probably the only remaining first-gen New Wave director that I've mostly neglected.

Watch more.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:41 pm

I will admit it probably will never get better than Cermonie though.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:42 pm

Not including Double Tour, of course.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:43 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Watch more.

Did I tell you I have Medusa's Touch on my list?

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next