It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom 
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:

If moping around a diner in homoerotic leather is your idea of 'fun', you may be right.

Okay, now I'm fully aroused.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I'm not assuming either of these have DVD releases though, right. I've never even heard ghostly whispers of either of them.

I watched both on Prime, and I'm under the assumption that this correlates with their being available on physical media through their site. Looking now, it shows that new DVD copies of Tracks are available, indicating that it's currently in print from Paramount Home Entertainment. This copy looks good, widescreen and HD, much better than the dub I watched several years back. Prime also has a couple of other Jaglom films, more recent, and for such an obscure figure, he's been unbelievably prolific.

Bloodbath seems to be a release from FilmRise, a label specializing in the obscure, but their quality is erratic. They've got several titles on Prime, some look great and fully restored, others look like cheap dupes. This falls more into that latter category - cropped format, blurry and smothered mono mix, not necessarily any better than what you can find on Youtube. A lot of these kinds of titles fall into a nebulous quasi-legal category, and I wonder if the streaming service allows for some loopholes around various international copyright disputes. As it is, I can safely say that this release, even if you find a physical copy, is pratically a bootleg. But FilmRise is the label if you want to check on its availability.

crumbsroom wrote:
You've seen The Last Movie, right.

Only chunks. This is something that would be an ideal priority for Criterion. I can't think of too many American titles from 2014's Story of Cinema series that continue to remain unreleased and unrestored.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Terrible title, even worse poster, disguises this almost-was film from the director of Reflecting Skin. When it focuses on the British squalor that the characters live in, only worsened by the hoodied demons in the street, it seems promising. The isolation of Jim Sturgess' character becomes manifest not only in his increasingly erratic behavior, but the social structures that begin to decompose around him. But as it moves clunkily into magic realism territory, than some kind of half baked morality tale, it loses all steam. Too many painfully maudlin moments and unearned moral dillema's. That said, even as the movie begins to flounder, it has great set pieces built into it right up to the last half hour or so, from saran wrapped male prostitutes to the Faustian dealmaker who lives in a tenement building. Even the comedic touches of a character called "The Weapons Man", while not entirely working very well into the fabric of the movie it surrounds, are still pleasant eccentricities not lost on me. Plus, what could be more British than a pulpy monstrosity drinking a cuppa.

Clearly Philip Ridley still has some of the poetic touches he so beautifully showcased in Reflecting Skin, just don't know if he settled on the best script.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 am

That horrible poster and title (this edge!!!) has made me skip it so many times that I never bothered to check who directed it. Cover calling the book black.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:15 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Terrible title, even worse poster, disguises this almost-was film from the director of Reflecting Skin. When it focuses on the British squalor that the characters live in, only worsened by the hoodied demons in the street, it seems promising. The isolation of Jim Sturgess' character becomes manifest not only in his increasingly erratic behavior, but the social structures that begin to decompose around him. But as it moves clunkily into magic realism territory, than some kind of half baked morality tale, it loses all steam. Too many painfully maudlin moments and unearned moral dillema's. That said, even as the movie begins to flounder, it has great set pieces built into it right up to the last half hour or so, from saran wrapped male prostitutes to the Faustian dealmaker who lives in a tenement building. Even the comedic touches of a character called "The Weapons Man", while not entirely working very well into the fabric of the movie it surrounds, are still pleasant eccentricities not lost on me. Plus, what could be more British than a pulpy monstrosity drinking a cuppa.

Clearly Philip Ridley still has some of the poetic touches he so beautifully showcased in Reflecting Skin, just don't know if he settled on the best script.

I enjoyed Heartless, but it definitely loses its way and the imagery can't quite carry it home.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Highway to Hell plays as a Chad Lowe fever dream—fuelled by the anger that the his Emmy winning performance in Life Goes On made everyone think he really had AIDS, the disappointment of being overlooked on his wife’s Oscar Thank You list as he wept forgotten in that immense crowd of somebodies, and the jealousy that he will never be as good looking or as ageless as his sex addict older brother—Chad Lowe will have nothing to lose as he bursts into Hell, looking for the girl that the Devil stole from him, determined to bring her back, even if she might kinda be alright staying there after all.

Of course, because it’s Chad Lowe, he might seem like the most lacksidasical element of his own fever dream. Unlike the poster promises, he won’t even don a single wifebeater to aid his quest, look buff or have Kristy Swanson chain herself to his ankle. He’ll more likely just button a checkered shirt from the Gap half way, and put on a pair of beige slacks. You know. For comfort. And so when mad ice cream scoopers threaten to scoop out his brain or plastercine three headed dogs pounce, he can just kind of raise his eye brows in emotion, recite a half assed action hero one liner off a cue card somewhere, and give the camera a look that says confessing to Becca that his dick was contagious was a walk in the park compared to this. His range wasn’t quite cut out for the netherworld.

But it’s probably not best to rate the quality of Highway to Hell on his performance. Or even the story which amounts to little more than a Hell Cop who steals virgins for Satan (this is really the entirety of the plot, placed over a boilerplate Orpheus arc). This is a movie about how a low budget filmmaker transformed a stretch of Arizona desert into a place that looks like few versions of Hell I’ve come across on film. Creaking donut shops with customers covered in dust, a laid back Beelzebub mechanic, biker gangs composed of what looks like dentists, weird looking kids, demon temptresses with low swinging boobs and devil minions that look like Andy Warhol paving a road to Hell with sinners who claims their sins were well intentioned. It even has a Hitler played by Gilbert Gottfried, because who else could ever be loud enough to rant like Hitler in Hell.

This is a just generally likeable and imaginative movie, that is one of the rare campy horror comedies that somehow doesn't completely put me off. Yes, it has Chad Lowe in it. But don’t hold that against him like Hilary Swank did.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:02 am

Heh. I went to high school with Kristy Swanson. Never saw any of her movies though.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6