It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:01 pm



Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:
Hmm. Just trying to figure what movie I should watch to celebrate my day of telling my manager to go fuck himself, almost getting into a physical altercation with him in front of my boss, and somehow getting my surly ass a promise of a wage increase because (according to my boss) she was grateful I didn't clean my managers clock.

Good day. Need to watch something to keep this great feeling of achievement flowing through my veins.

Nice. I like it.


Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:46 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:

I do love that lots. Certainly a consideration.

Wait, really?
I've never watched this because I thought it was supposed to be terrible.
Are you guys telling me I've been doing it wrong?


Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:48 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Stu wrote:
Your boss gave you a raise for not knocking out your manager after you told him off like that? That sounds to me like he must've been doing (or have done) something pretty shitty, so...

Image

And congratulations :D


It's hard to talk about without bogging it all down in boring workplace complications. And so this post is going to be pretty endless. Sorry.

The gist is that I run the back end of the business I work at. There was a pick up to be delivered, and I kept delaying my lunch to wait for it. When it didn't seem to be coming, I informed two of my coworkers who I manage what needed to be done if the pick up happened while I was on lunch. Virtually everything had already been taken care of except for a few minor details that could be dealt with in minutes if I wasn't there to do it. I also informed them they could get me if there were any complications.

So of course, the pickup arrives half way through my lunch. My coworkers tend to these small details while I continue my lunch. Everything is hunky dory. At least until one of them asks my manager about something that I also would have had to ask him about because he is an idiot and never keeps us informed of things we are supposed to know about. He barrels out of his office, tells me to end my lunch and help. I get up to help, ask him what needs tending to because I had already prepared everything before I went on lunch, and he loses it. He tells me it's my job to do this and not to defer jobs to the workers I manage (these being jobs they actually tend to every day, and that I have specifically been told that I am not to do since I am the manager, and they are the sort of jobs meant to be done by recent hires). After he finshes yelling at me I tell him there was no need to talk to me like that, I had got up from my lunch to do whatever he thought needed to get done, and that I legitimately had no idea what I had done wrong, or why I'm not allowed to give basic work to my staff when I leave to go on lunch. As I walk away he screams at me to follow him into my bosses office.

I do so. He closes the door behind me and he is shaking with rage. His ears have gone red. He's panting. He begins yelling at my boss, completely unable to explain even to her (who is fiercely loyal to him) what has gotten him so angry. She just stares at him dumbfounded, not sure what it is I had done wrong either. I calmly explain my position to her. That I have no idea how it got to this point. That I had done my job, that the work I gave my coworker was work they have specifically been hired to do, that he didn't explain why he felt it professional to start berating me in front of the entire workplace, to be screamed at like I was some disobedient child. To which he begins screaming at me again (he was heard all the way at the other way of the warehouse, through two closed doors and a wall) claiming that I am doing the bare minimum of work possible. This is an insane assertion, and one that even my boss is aware is absurd. I have an absolutely inhuman workload, of which I have managed to keep on top of nearly every aspect of. It's at this point, as he continues to say that I am not doing my job, and that I have an attitude problem, that I tell him to go fuck himself. I say I am doing more than my fair share of work, that I am grossly underpaid for it, that I get absolutely no credit for the amount of work I do for this company, and that, yes, I have an attitude problem, because of the shit I deal with from him all of the time. I try to leave the office, and he blocks my exit. When I try and walk around him he pushes up against me and physically restrains me. I turn to my boss to see if she notices what she is doing, and she has. I sit down and so does he.

I end up having a relatively productive talk with her for the next half hour as my manager grows silent in the corner of the room, seeming to slowly realize how ridiculous he had been, over absolutely nothing. I own the fact that I haven't been responding well to the constant barrage of shit I have been dealing with from this guy, but explain it would never occur to me to speak to another person the way he does continually to myself and others, and I have a difficult time keeping myself from 'looking annoyed' (her description of my crime, of which I have absolutely been guilty of at times) while being nit picked, micro managed, insulted and yelled at. He enters the conversation again to sheepishly apologize. He leaves the room and goes home. I explain to my boss that I absolutely will not continue to work under someone who behaves like he does, and that I am going to start looking for a new job.

Pulling me aside later, me and my boss have a good talk. She says she doesn't pay me nearly enough to deal with those sorts of things. She wants me to believe the manager is very sorry and had told her after the ordeal repeatedly that he thought he 'really fucked up that one'. She says not to be too hard on him. He hates himself and has no friends (literally what she says, no paraphrasing). We spend some time making fun of him. It is the first decent exchange I've had with my boss in years who has also been very difficult to work for (I escape most of her wrath, but she is horrible to some of my coworkers, recently refusing to pay them for Saturdays she forces them to work etc). She tells me she needs to start looking at my wages because I made a good point. I am under payed. I am a vitally important employee. I tell her I don't really care about the money, because I really don't. All I want is to be left alone from that shit. But that I have my doubts this will happen. "You wait and see how gentle he is going to be on Monday", she says. "He's going to be having a much tougher time with this over the weekend than you. Believe me".

Now do I expect a raise? Not really. I think she meant it as she said it, but all in all, it will ultimately just be lip service to keep me in her employ. She has lied about these things to me before. She has even cut my salary before without giving me any forwarning. So I have zero intentions of staying there. After a mass exodus of her entire work force last year (except for me and one other) when everyone quit due to miserable working conditions, this business is now posed to lose their remaining senior staff. This will them with a bunch of young college graduates, who are all hard working and intelligent and probably better behaved then me, but who know absolutely nothing as of yet about her ridiculously and needlessly complicated business. It will destroy her company. This is too bad, but she's had endless opportunities to correct the path she and the manager have been going down for a few years now.

Of course, it is possible I won't be able to find other work. This so far is just what I hope will happen, but since I generally suck at looking for jobs and, with the exception of the boss and head manager, I get along really well with everyone I have ever worked with there, I would probably prefer to stay if it wasn't the hostile work environment. But there is also something much too tempting about leaving them, and having him find out exactly what 'the bare minimum' I do really is. If he had a shred of my responsibilities, all of them both highly stressful and physically demanding, at least more so than making the spreadsheets he seems to exclusively devote his time to, he would have a complete mental breakdown, which he is clearly on the road to already.


Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:36 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Wooley wrote:
Wait, really?
I've never watched this because I thought it was supposed to be terrible.
Are you guys telling me I've been doing it wrong?


I think it is a really clever film, and really charming. I don't get its bad reputation. I believe it probably has a lot to do with how low budget it looks. It can't help but to wear its cheapness on its sleeve. But clever and charming is always more important than how much money shows up on screen.


Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:38 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:

I think it is a really clever film, and really charming. I don't get its bad reputation. I believe it probably has a lot to do with how low budget it looks. It can't help but to wear its cheapness on its sleeve. But clever and charming is always more important than how much money shows up on screen.

Sold.


Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:20 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Wooley wrote:
Sold.


With a 0 percent Tomatometer, how could you lose?


Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:

It's definitely interesting, and its becoming one of those movies I am liking more thinking back on it. It's a bit of a mess, which normally I am painfully forgiving for, but because I felt it was going to have a more conventional pay off for all of its weird narrative teases, my feeling when it first ended was a little let down. But I think if I just apply the sort of eye I would give the dream logic of a City of the Living Dead, and don't worry too much about the lose ends, it has potential to be a movie I will return to semi regularly, growing a larger and larger affection for.


I liked Curtains--without irony, without lowered expectations--from the very first viewing.

I also found the ultimate reveal about the murders to be original and thought that it did something I just hadn't seen in a horror/slasher before.


Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:45 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Takoma1 wrote:

I liked Curtains--without irony, without lowered expectations--from the very first viewing.

I also found the ultimate reveal about the murders to be original and thought that it did something I just hadn't seen in a horror/slasher before.


I wasn't claiming to need to view the film with any irony to appreciate it. I think what it does well, is skillfully crafted, and leaves one enticed for exactly where it is all heading. I don't use irony to appreciate Fulci's films either, I believe he is tremendously gifted, and makes legitimately frightening movies by not always resolving everything he teases. The difference with Fulci though, is what he teases, I don't feel I need to know anymore information or resolution to draw me into the film. With Curtains, I expected its whodonnit nature, which is really well set up, to have a little more oomph when it concluded. Not that it was a bad ending, I just felt there was more to pull from what they set up.

It's definitely an odd duck slasher film, of which there are really not many good ones. This would be one of them. I just began to have expectations by the middle of the film that it might be a great one. And maybe it is. Maybe I just need to see it from the perspective of someone who knows exactly what it is going to give me, and not fuss about what it doesn't.


Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:15 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:
It's definitely an odd duck slasher film, of which there are really not many good ones. This would be one of them. I just began to have expectations by the middle of the film that it might be a great one. And maybe it is. Maybe I just need to see it from the perspective of someone who knows exactly what it is going to give me, and not fuss about what it doesn't.


I guess that I just loved that it took two of the
most common "woman villain" tropes--ie the woman using a man and eliminating any competition and also the woman seeking revenge for being spurned--and smashed them together into one film. There's also something kind of great about a house full of actresses (ie the ultimate cannon fodder) and then it turns out that two of them aren't innocent at all.


There's also a slight otherworldly vibe to the whole thing (like the dream sequence in the beginning or the bizarre mask) that I really dig.


Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:07 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Takoma1 wrote:

I guess that I just loved that it took two of the
most common "woman villain" tropes--ie the woman using a man and eliminating any competition and also the woman seeking revenge for being spurned--and smashed them together into one film. There's also something kind of great about a house full of actresses (ie the ultimate cannon fodder) and then it turns out that two of them aren't innocent at all.


There's also a slight otherworldly vibe to the whole thing (like the dream sequence in the beginning or the bizarre mask) that I really dig.


All of this was good. The dream sequence and the skating sequence are pretty incredible. So is the chase near the end of the film. But that otherworldly feel you mention I felt became grounded by what seemed like such a real world, ordinary explanation, regardless of the tropes that got smooshed together, that it kind of dispelled the dreamy illusion of the movie.

It also didn't help that I watched a horrible transfer that clearly came from a dubbed videotape. Apparently there was eventually a blu ray released that was likely the quality you got to see. Jealous.


Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:12 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:

It's hard to talk about without bogging it all down in boring workplace complications. And so this post is going to be pretty endless. Sorry.

Ugh, that situation sounds both bananas and all too real. I changed jobs around a year ago as, among other reasons, I got sick of being taken for granted at my previous job (I'd basically get stuck with the crap nobody wanted dumped on me despite having a greater workload than anybody other than my managers, have most of the opportunities I'd be interested given to other less-qualified people and have my contributions downplayed constantly or otherwise be unappreciated), and having dealt with all of that shit, pretty much overachieved in my new job where none of that was an issue, and got a bit of smug satisfaction when my buddy in my old team told me about how things kind of fell apart for a few months after I left.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:58 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Rock wrote:
Ugh, that situation sounds both bananas and all too real. I changed jobs around a year ago as, among other reasons, I got sick of being taken for granted at my previous job (I'd basically get stuck with the crap nobody wanted dumped on me despite having a greater workload than anybody other than my managers, have most of the opportunities I'd be interested given to other less-qualified people and have my contributions downplayed constantly or otherwise be unappreciated), and having dealt with all of that shit, pretty much overachieved in my new job where none of that was an issue, and got a bit of smug satisfaction when my buddy in my old team told me about how things kind of fell apart for a few months after I left.


It's infuriating in how this sort of shit just plays out the same across the spectrum of so many different jobs. And if you are a particular personality type, you're always going to be the one holding the shitty end of the stick. I'm not interested in drawing either positive or negative attention to myself from my bosses. I don't boast about all of the work I've accomplished, or sniff around for compliments, or am interested in workplace politics, or angling to get more money. I don't really give a shit to do any of that. All I am interested in is doing my job well so that I'll be left alone to continue doing my job well. This is a quality that has served me well in jobs that trust their employees without breathing down their neck all of the time, and served me disastrously in places like this where the assumption is your not doing anything unless they see it with their own eyes. My manager simply cannot accept the fact that not only do the people beneath him do as much work as him, they do considerably more. They think all we do is to come to work to socialize and take their money. It's gotten to the point that we have been told repeatedly we are not to talk to our coworkers while we work. No chit chat! When I explained that much of what we talk about is actually work based, I was told that even that needs to be kept at a minimum. We've been banned from using scanner stands to ring customers through, because he thinks it is a lazy way to work, even though it is clearly more efficient. We've been lectured on when we tape up boxes, the tape can't have any wrinkles in it and must be absolutely smooth. We've been emailed pictures he has taken of dishcloths in the kitchen that haven't been folded neatly, with angry instructions of the proper way to fold a dishcloth. Those with cars have been forced to park out in the street in an industrial area with trucks roaring past all day covering their cars with slush, and never in front of the business in case we get customers (customers almost always call in advance, and we have virtually no walk ins), and so those spots just remain empty all day long. And during the winter when those parked out in the street trudge through the snow to get to the front door, they are scolded for their wet feet as they walk into the office, told their mothers must not have raised them well to get their carpet all wet. And this isn't even talking about how two employees were screamed at when it was found out they parked in front of the store while the managers (who do park in front of the store) were on vacation and every single space in the parking lot was available. It's madness that people like this expect to have anyone give a fuck about doing their job when they treat their employees like dogs, and view their only worth as being whatever end result they have imagined is essential. Which is always conveniently the one insignificant thing that hasn't been done yet, and never the dozens of things that have been taken care of that day.

All it takes is some level of empathy. Just some. I'm also technically a manager there, and I somehow get people to do their jobs and still respect and like me without once ever scolding or yelling or belittling a single employee. Not once. Ever. In five years. It's amazing how much not being a total fucking asshole can benefit everyone. For someone like my manager who believes so much in 'efficiency' it's shocking how he doesn't even give this tactic a try.


Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:01 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:
He hates himself and has no friends

Is this the guy who plays keytar?

crumbsroom wrote:
"You wait and see how gentle he is going to be on Monday"

Image


Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:02 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Jinnistan wrote:
Is this the guy who plays keytar?


Yes. And do you understand how ridiculous it is to be physically confronted by a keytar player.

Or that his punishment is that he is going to self flagellate himself over the weekend? And let's be clear, he has absolutely no issue with how he talked to me. None. He clearly hates me and thinks I deserved every word of it. His apology was only because she took issue with the fact that my boss thought he was insane, and took my side, and that he has now created a situation where she has to worry that I'm going to walk out on her in the middle of the busy season and they have absolutely no one to replace me.

It honestly was one of the greatest things that could have happened to me at this place. I got my bosses ear to say things I've wanted to say for months, but have felt she would have dismissed, but now because of the contrast between me being rational and him frothing at the mouth, she actually seemed to be listening to me for once. And it has made me feel considerably less like a heel to be able to tell himself directly to go fuck himself after almost a year of being walked all over. I've grabbed a little self respect back from the motherfucker's self sabotage.

It was beautiful. I was all but applauded by all of my coworkers after I walked out of that office.


Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:18 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:
And do you understand how ridiculous it is to be physically confronted by a keytar player.

I bet he doesn't even have a Jheri curl.


Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:32 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Jinnistan wrote:
Is this the guy who plays keytar?

crumbsroom wrote:
Yes.

You buried the lead here, guy! I'd like to know more.

But seriously your story is very familiar, as we seem to have similar philosophies. Mine is to do my job so well that A/ my superiors have no reason to speak to me and B/ my subordinates' job is so easy that there's no need for them to seek my input. Zero personal interaction is basically my goal in a given day.
Why is that, you ask? Example: Due to the nature of our business, some of our customers have a list of countries they're not allowed to buy from. Like if they're working on a gov't contract for example. This led to a member of our sales staff asking me if Korea would be considered "Eastern Europe" the other day. And then there's the OTHER salesman who told me the item he was quoting did not have a country's name printed on it. I walked to the warehouse with him and from 20 feet away I could see the word "OMAN" clearly stamped in huge letters. So I said "Dude, I can see it from here. Oman." His response: "what the f-- is Oman?!?"

_________________
Captain's Log


Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:19 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Image

It moves really slow, and not much happens for a lot of it, and even when stuff happens it's not a lot. But somehow regardless the toad pace of this criminal heist/brain transplant movie, it still manages to be profoundly weird.

I definitely would recommend it to me.

Maybe one of these days Yorgos Lanthimos will try and remake this one, because why not?


Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:35 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Captain Terror wrote:

You buried the lead here, guy! I'd like to know more.

But seriously your story is very familiar, as we seem to have similar philosophies. Mine is to do my job so well that A/ my superiors have no reason to speak to me and B/ my subordinates' job is so easy that there's no need for them to seek my input. Zero personal interaction is basically my goal in a given day.
Why is that, you ask? Example: Due to the nature of our business, some of our customers have a list of countries they're not allowed to buy from. Like if they're working on a gov't contract for example. This led to a member of our sales staff asking me if Korea would be considered "Eastern Europe" the other day. And then there's the OTHER salesman who told me the item he was quoting did not have a country's name printed on it. I walked to the warehouse with him and from 20 feet away I could see the word "OMAN" clearly stamped in huge letters. So I said "Dude, I can see it from here. Oman." His response: "what the f-- is Oman?!?"


I know very little about Mr. Keytar's years in the 'music business'. One of my co workers had a picture of him on stage as her screen saver for a few years, and he would occassionally tell me stories of playing clubs on New Years Eve to almost empty houses, and popping champagne bottles on stage to help rouse the handful of people blankly watching them perform covers of Black Dog. While his instrument of choice fits him almost obscenely perfectly, the notion of this guy ever being in a band, touring Canada, doing anything remotely daring with his life, is the opposite of what one would ever expect from him. He is a play it safe, follow the rules, keep your head down and be entirely irrelevent forever sort of dope. I loathe him, not so much for his screaming fit a week ago, but how I've seen him treat other people I work with who are less willing than I am to push him right back. He's a terrible human being. A bully masquerading as a victim. The worst kind of person.

Yes, your efforts to be kept out of mind by superiors is very much my own. I attempt to learn how to do things at jobs as quickly as possible, and get as good and quick at the work as possible to eventually completely extricate myself from being beneath their thumb forever. I have a philosophy that my job is my boss. I pay the work I have to do respect. But I absolutely give no respect to any individual due to the fact that their titles supposedly puts them above me. I respect those that treat others well, and couldn't give a toss about anyone who can't observe this simple practice. It continually shocks me how few of those who are put into positions of some power, can't retain any sort of decency. It disgusts me, and once it becomes clear how ugly some of these people are, I have no problems with vocalizing that disgust. I can't even put into words how wonderful it feels to be able to tell someone, who believes they are immune to being told to go fuck themselves, to go fuck themselves. It was a beautiful thing.


Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:32 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

We've got a manager who isn't an a-hole or anything but is just extremely bland and everything he says sounds like it came out of a "How to Manage" book. The only thing I know about his personal life is that he plays piano/organ at his church. Then one day he tells me that when he was a youngster in the 70s he was in a band called Chrome, whose claim to fame was that they had a mellotron. I have such conflicted emotions about this guy.

_________________
Captain's Log


Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:43 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Captain Terror wrote:
We've got a manager who isn't an a-hole or anything but is just extremely bland and everything he says sounds like it came out of a "How to Manage" book. The only thing I know about his personal life is that he plays piano/organ at his church. Then one day he tells me that when he was a youngster in the 70s he was in a band called Chrome, whose claim to fame was that they had a mellotron. I have such conflicted emotions about this guy.


I recently bought an album by a 70's band called Chrome....

I have no idea if it is the same band, but it was a cool album.


Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:49 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:

I recently bought an album by a 70's band called Chrome....

I have no idea if it is the same band, but it was a cool album.

Alas, this Chrome never made it past the suburbs.

_________________
Captain's Log


Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:57 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:

I recently bought an album by a 70's band called Chrome....

I have no idea if it is the same band, but it was a cool album.

3rd From the Sun is the one I need.

Also, I'm about this sure Damon Edge played a mellotron at one point or another.


Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:04 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

The only keytar player I've ever known was a good enough dude.

_________________
"We're outgunned and undermanned. But you know somethin'? We're gonna win. You know why? Superior attitude. Superior state of mind." - Mason Storm
____
Blog!


Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:20 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Rock wrote:
The only keytar player I've ever known was a good enough dude.

Image


Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:53 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Like a serendipitous twist, what do I find in my local "new purchase" vinyl stack? Garland Jeffreys' 1973 eponymous LP. It doesn't have "Wild in the Streets", but it's not bad. Like a needle-phobic Puerto Rican Lou Reed.

Also, notice how "Wild in the Streets" shares its main chord change with The Undertones' "Teenage Kicks"? (The eggheads call it a 1-6 progression, but I know it as a simple D-Bm....or E-C#m, A-F#m, etc, etc. Anyway it's the second minor chord that sounds really good when you repeat them over and over.)

You can hear the same thing here in the more recent Benjamin Booker's "Violent Shiver", which I now recognize as heavily influenced by Jeffreys' style.



Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:00 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Jinnistan wrote:
Like a serendipitous twist, what do I find in my local "new purchase" vinyl stack? Garland Jeffreys' 1973 eponymous LP. It doesn't have "Wild in the Streets", but it's not bad. Like a needle-phobic Puerto Rican Lou Reed.

Also, notice how "Wild in the Streets" shares its main chord change with The Undertones' "Teenage Kicks"? (The eggheads call it a 1-6 progression, but I know it as a simple D-Bm....or E-C#m, A-F#m, etc, etc. Anyway it's the second minor chord that sounds really good when you repeat them over and over.)

You can hear the same thing here in the more recent Benjamin Booker's "Violent Shiver", which I now recognize as heavily influenced by Jeffreys' style.



I've never heard the first Jeffreys' album. My knowledge of him is simply through "Ghost Writer" and "Escape Artist". They are both good, solid albums, but Wild in the Streets is very much the best song of the batch. It's an obvious classic that never seemed to reach classic status.

Maybe John Peel was a fan.


Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:19 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Rock wrote:
The only keytar player I've ever known was a good enough dude.


Keytar players can rejoice since he has long put that down and changed instruments, something he is always sure to remind us if he is forced to do any work that might make his wrist sore and impede his flute playing.

I've got nothing against that in particular, but there is always something nauseating about the excuse of "Sorry guys, can't help out, I've got flute lessons today"


Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:37 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:
there is always something nauseating about the excuse of "Sorry guys, can't help out, I've got flute lessons today"


Gross.

My sister works in a middle school assisting students with emotional disorders. For various reasons, it is really hard to hire people for these positions and those who are hired tend to fall into two camps: Competent and passionate OR "just need the money and I like kids, I guess".

One of their new hires falls into the latter category. The other day my sister noticed that this other assistant was just sitting at a table while there were kids who needed help. Curious about what she was doing, she walked around behind her.

The new assistant was sitting (alone) at a table, solving the word unscramble activity that the teacher had given to the children. Bonus: she was using a computer program to cheat. At solving the word puzzle. Meant for children.


Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:05 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

crumbsroom wrote:
Keytar players can rejoice since he has long put that down and changed instruments, something he is always sure to remind us if he is forced to do any work that might make his wrist sore and impede his flute playing.

Omg, I think I just invented....the flutar.

crumbsroom wrote:
"Sorry guys, can't help out, I've got flute lessons today"

Euphemism Of The Year Award.*

(* euphonium lessons not included where prohibited by law)


Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:19 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

Takoma1 wrote:

Gross.

My sister works in a middle school assisting students with emotional disorders. For various reasons, it is really hard to hire people for these positions and those who are hired tend to fall into two camps: Competent and passionate OR "just need the money and I like kids, I guess".

One of their new hires falls into the latter category. The other day my sister noticed that this other assistant was just sitting at a table while there were kids who needed help. Curious about what she was doing, she walked around behind her.

The new assistant was sitting (alone) at a table, solving the word unscramble activity that the teacher had given to the children. Bonus: she was using a computer program to cheat. At solving the word puzzle. Meant for children.


I work daily with teachers at my job, since it is to schools we sell our books, and I am distressed by the percentage of those hired who can't process the simplest instructions, or read through to the end of a three or four sentence email to glean the answers to whatever questions they have asked me (and this isn't even getting to the number of them who scream at their students while they are on the phone with me) I would estimate that at least 30 percent should probably not even be passing the classes they are teaching. I am personal friends with a few people who work at the school boards I deal with, and they vouch for my statistics. It's a shit show how some people are allowed through the doors to teach the youth, and it sadly only validates all of my suspicions I had towards my teachers when I was in school that half of those who ever taught me should never have been in the position to do so.

Thankfully I was never listening, anyways.


Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:47 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: IPlayTheBlameGame, Torgo and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.