It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #4: Diabeł (Sat 12/9) 
Post Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #4: Diabeł (Sat 12/9)

Corrie Class Trip is a project where we rotate the selection of a title for group watches on an appointed day/date to then discuss [previous iterations linked below]. We welcome all to participate and share their thoughts and feelings! The fourth viewing for Round 3 is scheduled for Saturday December 9th. Please post about the film itself and your experience with it in this thread, and any off-topic posts about the series itself in the Class Trip Discussion Thread.

Thanks and enjoy!!!

xoxo,
your classmates

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Saturday, December 9th 2017

Diabeł AKA The Devil (Andrzej Żuławski, 1972)

Quote:
During the Prussian army's invasion to Poland in 1793, a young Polish nobleman Jakub (Leszek Teleszynski) is saved from the imprisonment by a stranger (Wiktor Sadecki) who wants in return to obtain a list of Jakub's fellow conspirators. Following his mysterious saviour across the country, Jakub sees the overall chaos and moral corruption including his father's death and his girlfriend's betrayal. Being apparently demented by what he has seen, he commits a number of seemingly motiveless and gory killings.

Past Trips, Junior Year:

#1 - La maternelle (1933, Jean Benoît-Lévy & Marie Epstein, France) | wigwam
#2 - Time and Winds (2006, Reha Erdem, Turkey) | Oxnard Montalvo
#3 - Clean, Shaven (1993, Lodge Kerrigan, USA) | Popcorn Reviews

Past Trips, Sophomore Year:

#1 - The Worthless (1982, Mika Kaurismäki, Finland) | snapper
#2 - Shopping for Fangs (1997, Quentin Lee and Justin Lin, USA) | takeshi
#3 - The Heart of the Wise Lives in the House of Sorrow (2009, Marin Malešević, Serbia) | Shieldmaiden
#4 - The Forbidden Quest (1993, Peter Delpeut, Netherlands) | kopello
#5 - São Bernardo (1972, Leon Hirszman, Brazil) | Bandy Greensacks
#6 - Evdokia (1971, Alexis Damianos, Greece) | Epistemophobia
#7 - The Ball at the Anjō House (1947, Kōzaburō Yoshimura, Japan) | snapper
#8 - Sérail (1976, Eduardo de Gregorio, France) | takeshi
#9 - Passport for a Corpse (1962, Mario Gariazzo, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#10 - Aksuat (1997, Serik Aprimov, Kazakhstan) | Shieldmaiden
#11 - Dangerously Excited (2011, Koo, South Korea) | wigwam
#12 - Himala (1982, Ishmael Bernal, Philippines) | snapper

Past Trips, Freshman Year:

#1 - Distant Journey (1949, Alfréd Radok, Czechoslovakia) | snapper
#2 - Nanami: The Inferno of First Love (1968, Susumu Hani, Japan) | Das
#3 - The Policewoman (2003, Joaquim Sapinho, Portugal) | charulata
#4 - Freeze, Die, Come to Life! (1989, Vitali Kanevsky, USSR) | Bandy Greensacks
#5 - The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974, Francesco Barilli, Italy) | Trip
#6 - Weddings and Babies (1958, Morris Engel, USA) | snapper
#7 - The Man with Three Coffins (1987, Lee Jang-ho, South Korea) | Notes from Underground
#8 - Malina (1991, Werner Schroeter, Germany) | Shieldmaiden
#9 - Bad Luck (1960, Andrzej Munk, Poland) | B-Side
#10 - The Girl with the Suitcase (1961, Valerio Zurlini, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#11 - The Engagement of Anna (1972, Pantelis Voulgaris, Greece) | BandyGreensacks
#12 - Our Neighbor, Miss Yae (1934. Yasujirō Shimazu, Japan) | snapper

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:50 am
Post Re: Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #4: Diabeł (Sat 12/9)

I've seen it before, but I'm up for a rewatch.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:54 am

NOW, for those of you who are unable to acquire this movie on your own, I have the movie on my computer right now, this very minute. my plan so far is to put up on a dropbox on Thursday and hopefully that will work out. if any of you have any better ideas, please lmk. but in any event, I do have it in my possession so this is do-able.

as for any older Corrie members, I hope you'll forgive me for choosing any movies that are a bit closer to the canon than previous Class Trips.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:57 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I've seen it before, but I'm up for a rewatch.

:up:

as taken as I was by Possession, I have yet to get around to the remainder of Zulawski's oeuvre. technically I did see On the Silver Globe but at the time found it too confusing to be rewarding. so rewatching that one might have to be priority for me.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:04 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

:up:

as taken as I was by Possession, I have yet to get around to digging into the remainder of Zulawski's oeuvre. technically I did see On the Silver Globe but at the time found it too confusing to be rewarding. so rewatching that one might have to be priority for me.

Silver Globe is more of an interesting mess, than a good example of Zulawski. He's pretty consistently great, though. L'Amour Braque is a particular favourite of mine, and Third Part of the Night and Most Important Thing: Love (if you can over look the horrible dubbing, find a subtitled version if you can) are really good as well. The only one I haven't liked much is his last film Cosmos (although it's compellingly, if not also a little too deliberately, weird)

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:12 am

any thoughts on My Nights Are More Beautiful Than Your Days? I have that one on file as I was intrigued by the idea of a more whimsical Zulawski after going through Possession's relationship hell.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:45 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
any thoughts on My Nights Are More Beautiful Than Your Days? I have that one on file as I was intrigued by the idea of a more whimsical Zulawski after going through Possession's relationship hell.

I was absolutely sure I'd seen that one a year or two ago, but reading the synopsis it doesn't seem at all familiar. So whatever it was I imagined I watched, it probably wouldn't help much in regards to the recommendation you're looking for. I can't imagine it not being worth seeing though, since he's one of those directors I think it is worth being a completist with.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:57 am

I found a site where you can stream it from. This one looks pretty interesting. See you next Saturday.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:18 am

I saw Skull Island again the other day :shifty:

Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:24 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

I'm no Zulawski expert (I've only seen this, Possession and L'Amour Braque), but I found it's near-constant yelling a bit too obnoxious to work for me (in contrast, I think Possession and L'Amour Braque use their histrionics much more effectively). However, Sophie Marceau looks amazing in it, if you're looking for legitimate cinephilic reasons to watch it.

Also, I might hit you up for that dropboxing, as my videostore doesn't carry it and I'm paranoid about streaming.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:47 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I saw Skull Island again the other day :shifty:

geez dude, get it together

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:14 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
as for any older Corrie members, I hope you'll forgive me for choosing any movies that are a bit closer to the canon than previous Class Trips.

how dare you

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:11 pm

(call me old)

Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:11 pm

hey now, that just means you have all the more wisdom and experience to offer us youngins.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Anybody else watch this yet? I think I liked it quite a bit, but would like to watch it again in the near future, as I'd like to get a marginally better handle on Polish history and also my computer has been having bizarre playback issues since the last Windows 10 update, which caused a lot of bleeping and blooping that may have overstated how much fuzz guitar was actually on the soundtrack. (Maybe the next update will fix this issue. *laughs uneasily*)

Having seen the film I can confirm that no tails sprout from candles so those fooled by the poster should be wary (although a man does turn into a dog and dogs have tails).

Probably my biggest takeaway is how organic Zulawski is able to make this yelling and screaming to the story and use these histrionics to build an atmosphere of despair (not a super deep observation, as yelling and screaming seem to be his jam(s)). My other major takeaway is how if you squint really hard, the actress playing the nun looks a bit like both Isabelle Adjani and Sophie Marceau (leading me to believe that this too is Zulawski's super-high-brow thematic jam). I'm also pretty big on the movie's chilly, dreary visuals and hurtling and spiraling camera moves.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:17 pm

naw man, that nun was totally Anne Wiazemsky's twin, no squinting needed.

anyway, that was one god damn exhausting movie but very potent. this gives some good background on the political context although even without that knowledge, I still got the gist of it (I think): political repression leading to madness and separation from all that makes one civilized.... you become disoriented, unmoored from your own self, who knows what person you'll become? now that I know the real-world context, I gotta say Zulawski was one angry fucker. but that's why we love him.

"I'm not able to describe it to you, I have to dance it out." haha, fucking yesssss

Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:26 pm

Shit, I forgot about this. I might be able to watch it tomorrow :(

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:42 am

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:57 am

I'll try to watch this later today. I forgot to watch it Saturday.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:58 am

I also intended to participate but forgot. Can we get a 2-minute warning next time, maybe?

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:30 am

it's not big deal if you want to watch it sometime in the near future and comment whenever you feel like it. I'm not too strict with dates and stuff.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:34 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
naw man, that nun was totally Anne Wiazemsky's twin, no squinting needed.

The plot thickens!
Quote:
anyway, that was one god damn exhausting movie but very potent. this gives some good background on the political context although even without that knowledge, I still got the gist of it (I think): political repression leading to madness and separation from all that makes one civilized.... you become disoriented, unmoored from your own self, who knows what person you'll become? now that I know the real-world context, I gotta say Zulawski was one angry fucker. but that's why we love him.

Thanks for the link, that's quite a bit of depth. (The site looks neat too.) I think I sussed out something similar as you from my viewing, but I'll add that the way the hero was handled by the man in black brought to mind the way intelligence case officers and secret police handle their contacts.
Quote:
"I'm not able to describe it to you, I have to dance it out." haha, fucking yesssss

Speaking of people who look like other people, that guy looked like somebody else and it was driving me crazy because I couldn't remember who.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:31 am

can't help you on the man-in-black resemblance, sorry.

but I thought the Faust-ian part was well done once you realize how little agency the protagonist had. it's not as if the "trade-off" was happening at an equal level. like maybe if he had known what was in store, he would have resisted being saved? but then that's the horrifying part, realizing how powerless one is to the world around them.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am

I finally watched this. Anyways, I liked it for the political context which Ox and Rock have been discussing. What I got was that political regression made Jakub uncivilized and violent. I also found its absurdity to be reminiscent of Jodorowsky. On the other hand, the acing was a bit cheesy and over-the-top, but the good aspects to the film trumped this. I can see myself revisiting it in the future. Thanks for picking it, Ox.

7/10

Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:06 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
On the other hand, the acing was a bit cheesy and over-the-top

that's just a feature, not a bug, of the Zulawski movie. one retrospective was even titled "Hysterical Excess".

at least now you're prepared for Possession.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:35 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

that's just a feature, not a bug, of the Zulawski movie. one retrospective was even titled "Hysterical Excess".

at least now you're prepared for Possession.

Point taken.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]