It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Award Season In Hell 
Post Re: Award Season In Hell

BL wrote:

Ffffffffffffs. I'm always the last to know of these things.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:59 am

Jinnistan wrote:
More disappointing for me has been the pushing of Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney into meager walk-on roles and dialing back their more original contributions which have been welcome infusions to the show's more stagnant comedic formulas. Instead, the show seems more focused on the newer featured players Mickey Day and Alex Moffat, who bring far less innovation (or amusement) to the table. As anonymous white guys, they are adequate enough for the Trump sons, only superficially.

Yeah, both Day and Moffat run hot/cold to me, but neither is nearly as much fun as watching Beck/Kyle chase ways to upset the apple cart.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:18 pm

An honest attempt at honoring blockbusters or a shameless attempt at getting more people to watch the Oscars? You decide:

The Academy adding "Best Popular Film" category

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 am

Torgo wrote:
An honest attempt at honoring blockbusters or a shameless attempt at getting more people to watch the Oscars? You decide:

People on Twitter have decided this is specifically targeted at Black Panther. There's always going to be subpar or even crap movies nominated. And some of them even win. BP isn't deserving of a nom. Neither was Three Billboards etc. for that matter.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:40 am

That decision probably goes all the way back to The Dark Knight not being nominated for BP even though it was the highest grossing film of that year that got very good critical notices.

I don't think Black Panther has anything to do with it. The Oscars haven't been popular in a long time (see the ever dwindling ratings even though attempting to introduce younger hosts, etc) and this is just something to introduce more popular fare into the awards talk.

Over the years they've tried other things like adding more BP nominess (9 or 10) but even then voters were ignoring more popular fare. This is not something new and the Oscars opening up this new category shows how desperate they are for a younger and more attentive crowd.

PS - Then again I never thought they would give BP to a movie about a woman who falls in love with a fish-man so I could be totally wrong.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Here's how they're going to present the award:

Alec Baldwin: "There have been a lot of great movies this year, huh, Adam? Have you seen First Reformed?"
Adam Sandler: "Umm...nope?" <scattered laughter>
Alec: "What about You Were Never Really Here?"
Adam: "You Were Never...what? <laughter intensifies>
Alec: "Leave No Trace?"
Adam: "You're making these up, aren't you Alec?" <the entire audience laughs>
Alec Baldwin "<stares at audience> what about...Black Panther?"
Adam: "Yeah, baby! Wakanda Forever!" <the audience laughs and cheers; the camera cuts away to see Chadwick Boseman and Samuel L. Jackson clapping half-heartedly>
Alec: "Here are the nominees for Best Popular film. The award...for the rest of us!"

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Torgo wrote:
Here's how they're going to present the award:

Alec Baldwin: "There have been a lot of great movies this year, huh, Adam? Have you seen First Reformed?"
Adam Sandler: "Umm...nope?" <scattered laughter>
Alec: "What about You Were Never Really Here?"
Adam: "You Were Never...what? <laughter intensifies>
Alec: "Leave No Trace?"
Adam: "You're making these up, aren't you Alec?" <the entire audience laughs>
Alec Baldwin "<stares at audience> what about...Black Panther?"
Adam: "Yeah, baby! Wakanda Forever!" <the audience laughs and cheers; the camera cuts away to see Chadwick Boseman and Samuel L. Jackson clapping half-heartedly>
Alec: "Here are the nominees for Best Popular film. The award...for the rest of us!"

Nailed it.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:27 pm

Waiting to hear what the criteria will be for "popular".
Guys like Spielberg could get nominated for Best Picture (The Post) and Popular Movie (RP1) in the same year.
I'm against the idea of giving prizes for art just on principle so it doesn't really concern me, but I do think it's a terrible idea.

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:33 pm

Horrible idea.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:30 am

Best idea ever. I mean, 5 out of the 7 top grossing movies this year are Disney, and ABC is owned by Disney, may as well be honest about the ordeal. Yay, an award for movies people actually give a shit about!

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:34 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Best idea ever. I mean, 5 out of the 7 top grossing movies this year are Disney, and ABC is owned by Disney, may as well be honest about the ordeal. Yay, an award for movies people actually give a shit about!

What if Tomb Raider wins the award?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:12 am

ski petrol wrote:

What if Tomb Raider wins the award?
In what world is Tomb Raider popular? Also, what if it's good :shifty:

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:14 am

It actually is kinda good. In that cheesy popcorn movie kinda way.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:20 am

It's either an interesting admission that "popular" audiences are no longer interested in watching the best films, or a signal that Hollywood studios (Disney) are no longer interested in making quality, thoughtful films but don't want to sacrifice their trophies in the process.

If the "popular" audience finds this development to be some kind of empowerment, as opposed to a condescending marketing ploy, then I suppose they kinda deserve condescension. And if black audiences think that this will be some kind of symbolic victory for Black Panther, then maybe they should consider how this would amount to reinforceing the worst stereotypes of affirmative action. In other words, the opposite direction from the accomplished strides of McQueen, Jenkins, Dees and Duvernay.

Black Panther is top-notch action entertainment but formulaic, predictable and not particularly well-conceived. Let's not make it a literal token.

Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:02 pm

It all begs the question: if the Best Popular film Oscar had always existed, what movies from the past would have won it?
Rocky may have won it in 1976, paving the way for Network to win Best Picture. Just as likely recipient Black Panther did for 2018 audiences, Rocky owes its popularity for providing something America needed at the time.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:40 am

The Popular Film Award merely cements the Oscars' irrelevance, it doesn't take it down a new path.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:57 am

Torgo wrote:

Lets just say best disney owned film instead :?

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:19 pm

How about a best unpopular film catergory?

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:21 pm

Rumpled wrote:
How about a best unpopular film catergory?

Finally some recognition for my thanklessly beloved mother!

I will feast on the howls of fools.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:25 am

No need to worry, guys. The Academy's integrity will remain intact for another year.
Academy delays Best Popular Film Oscar

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:27 am

Torgo wrote:
No need to worry, guys. The Academy's integrity will remain intact for another year.
Academy delays Best Popular Film Oscar

La La Land loses again.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:23 am

Quote:
The Academy recognized that implementing any new award nine months into the year creates challenges for films that have already been released.

Aw. I'm sure that Jurassic World would have tried a lot harder if they only knew!

Quote:
Numerous film journalists criticized the Academy’s decision to create a popular film Oscar in the same year where Marvel’s “Black Panther,” a major studio tentpole, has a shot at best picture

Urgh. Naw, man.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6