It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Award Season In Hell 
 Award Season In Hell

How I love bribes and pagaentry.

Of course, this is always a good time to take stock of the many quality films throughout the year, both those sorely overlooked and those zeitgeist-eating machines which have dominated the cultural conversation. We already have seen the Gotham Awards, the National Board of Review, the AFI alum, and today unveiled the Golden Globes - the Cannon Films of Award Shows.

One thing that jumps out at me is no goddamn mother!. I had thought, nay I prayed, that we were firmly ensconced in the post-Weinstein era. There are those among us who are even contemplating Oscars for Wonder Woman. And Wonder Woman was a pretty good comic book movie, equal opportunity entertainment proficiency. Does it deserve any Oscars? Fuck no. That's OK, because 99% of comic book movies don't deserve Oscars either.

On the other hand, mother! is a masterpiece of restraint (*spoiler*). It is the true feminist decimation of the ego and vanity that have been running this grabby town for decades. It is about the ingratitutde of the masses, the selfish snotty fingers with which they stroke and slap. It is about the men who encourage, excite and incite them, the men who erected this sterling shining city on a hill and prostrated before the pristine, glowing prostate-like crystal up its greedy bowels. Naturally, the zealous congregation of this fallacy-laden construction - the general movie-going heathens - took offense at being unable to deny their own suckerdom and took up hatchets to bring it all down.

A week after seeing the film, I returned to the same theater to watch Blade Runner, and in the lobby they had a large cardboard display of Jennifer Lawrence's apple-cheeked sweetness. By this time, J-Law's face had been utterly ravaged, no doubt by the same entitled mob that so pissily dissented at having their lovely, hungry sweetheart forcing them to think about the very film they had paid to see. Like vicious ungrateful guests, helping themselves to her flesh, slashing her eyes and defiling her nose. No doubt they laughed, vapidly walking away talking about "the worst film of all time" like so many commie Yelp bots. Of course they voted for Trump.

I thought the film was fantastic and right on the pulse of our current American zeitgeist. This medicine is too strong to keep down in these weak stomachs. But even as prescient as I found its combination of satire/allegory/salvo, I still was a little shocked at the defaced cardboard display, and seeing so many people gleefuly fulfill the prophecy of the very film that they couldn't be bothered to try to understand.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:54 am
Post Re: Award Season In Hell

I've seen Get Out mentioned a lot in the awards discussions. Concerning the diversity of the Golden Globes, some are upset that Jordon Peele wasn't singled out for directing and writing duties. Frankly, I sympathize more with the latter than the former. Get Out was an ingeniously conceived social-comedy/horror film. But I can't help thinking to myself....if it receives Oscar noms for Picture or Director, wouldn't that basically qualify as precisely the kind of liberal white condenscension that the film is so deftly satirizing?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:03 pm

The only place I've seen mother! get recognition is on Sight & Sounds' best of 2017 list, albeit it was near the bottom.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
The only place I've seen mother! get recognition is on Sight & Sounds' best of 2017 list, albeit it was near the bottom.

Thanks for the link, Pop.

Again, I can't see Get Out at the tippy top. A lot of guilt compensation going on here. The proof for this is that the excellent Baldwin doc, I Am Not Your Negro, is down at #19. I guess that cup of coffee is too strong for their tastes.

If you want to consider Twin Peaks to be the 18 hour film that Lynch has proclaimed it, then fine. Give it all of the awards then. It eradicated the rules.

A number of these films haven't been released in America yet, or at least not beyond the coasts. I'm looking forward to the Varda and the Denis and the Ramsey.

Moonlight and Silence seems like they're cheating, both being from last year, but I guess if I were making a strict list, then they would definitely be among the best films that I've seen this year. They were both also superior to Get Out.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:29 pm

I found Get Out intensely clever and fun, but that's a fair point about Get Out becoming another film sucked into the tornado of Hollywood Oscurbation, especially if it wins. For now, though I'll assume the witless HFPA is nominating it on the grounds of all the cool kids (re: critic circle awards) are doing it.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:43 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Thanks for the link, Pop.

Again, I can't see Get Out at the tippy top. A lot of guilt compensation going on here. The proof for this is that the excellent Baldwin doc, I Am Not Your Negro, is down at #19. I guess that cup of coffee is too strong for their tastes.

If you want to consider Twin Peaks to be the 18 hour film that Lynch has proclaimed it, then fine. Give it all of the awards then. It eradicated the rules.

A number of these films haven't been released in America yet, or at least not beyond the coasts. I'm looking forward to the Varda and the Denis and the Ramsey.

Moonlight and Silence seems like they're cheating, both being from last year, but I guess if I were making a strict list, then they would definitely be among the best films that I've seen this year. They were both also superior to Get Out.

I Am Not Your Negro is great. I watched it recently.

I haven't seen mother! yet (I want to though), but it looks like it's not going to age well considering the reception it got. From what I heard, the main argument for why people dislike it is that they think it's pretentious. Although, I usually never listen to people when they use this argument as many ambiguous and unconventional films get this label (concerning modern films, Malick seems to be the main target of this criticism).

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:48 pm

DaMU wrote:
I found Get Out intensely clever and fun

I agree with this, and I wouldn't think that an Original Screenplay nom is out of the question.

I'm having a hard time processing the tokenism that we're seeing, and that's because much of the discussion is more about politics than the films themselves. I read earlier that Jordon Peele should get a director nod because....well. And even if that were the case, then I think I'd be more inclined to turn toward Dee Rees and Mudbound instead.

A lot of this is swelling up from the GG noms today. There's a pretty fair case to make about the lack of women directors, given the talents of Gerwig and Dees (or Varda, Denis, Ramsey, etc), and also the fact that Ridley Scott's inclusion is dubious as, it seems, no one has actually seen his movie yet (which is still in editing, I hear). But I don't want to see people just getting picked to make a representation. I mean, obviously the GGs is not the forum for integrity, their pay-to-play system has been revealed years ago (by Denzel, who still got his - deserved, btw - acting nom for Roman J. Israel, Esq.).

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 pm

Sidebar: I'm surprised my roommate haven't received an award screener yet for mother! He's got Florida Project, Lady Bird, all the usual suspects, for sure. But no Aronofsky. Lame.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:12 pm

DaMU wrote:
Sidebar: I'm surprised my roommate haven't received an award screener yet for mother! He's got Florida Project, Lady Bird, all the usual suspects, for sure. But no Aronofsky. Lame.

It's like they don't even want it to win anything!

I don't want to get any shade on your roommate, but, uh, anyone know whether any screeners are online yet?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Get Out is the most overrated movie of 2017. Maybe the decade.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Oh hi, Lux.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:28 pm

Of course Janson loved mother! so it just proves he has bad taste in movies.

PS - Wasn't mother! released in Sept. Usually the time Hollywood dumps their jizz rag-soaked crap.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Yeah, September is prime jizz-rag-soaked crap dumping season.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Rock wrote:
Yeah, September is prime jizz-rag-soaked crap dumping season.

Otherwise known as the Toronto International Film Festival.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Jinnistan wrote:

Let me tell you, that first weekend when they close off the street, it is flying everywhere.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:43 pm

Jinnistan wrote:

Yeah, and May is the Cannes Film Festival and that's when Hollywood starts dumping their usual summer crap.

Hollywood and Film Festivals are two different things Janson. Besides most Toronto, Venice and TIFF stuff doesn't come out until after Sept. and deep into the Oscar season. Like The Shape of Water which won the Golden Lion and just now came out.

You really know a lot about this stuff, don't you. Please enlighten us then why your precious mother! polarized both critics and audiences and oh, flopped.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Pickins were indeed slim this September, but we did get IT, mother!, and the re-release of Close Encounters. There was also a movie called Home Again with Reese Witherspoon, which I both never knew existed before now and anticipate forgetting after now.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:49 pm

ski petrol wrote:
Hollywood and Film Festivals are two different things Janson.

True, but nonetheless, mother! opened at TIFF.

ski petrol wrote:
and oh, flopped.

What, are you stockbroker now?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:52 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
True, but nonetheless, mother! opened at TIFF.

What, are you stockbroker now?

I'm your mom's boy toy.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:00 pm

ski petrol wrote:
I'm your mom's boy toy.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Jinnistan wrote:

Oh hey we finally get to see what Janson looks like.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:04 pm

So how's your mom, Lux? Keeping her cool?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
So how's your mom, Lux? Keeping her cool?

That's hella funny. Because my mom's dead. I get it.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Speaking of which you should see Xavier Dolan's I Killed My Mother. Yeah, go ahead and google Xavier Dolan. I'll wait for you.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm

lol

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:09 pm

lol. what are you a teenage girl?

Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:30 pm

For reals though, there should've been a push for Jason Sudeikis in Colossal this season.

A nom somewhere, please. Thought he was fantastic.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:40 pm

Is this really going to be Guillermo Del Toro's year?

This thread also reminds me I really have to check out Colossal already.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:38 pm

Nothing for Good Time? Shameful. Pattinson should have been nominated, if anyone.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:49 pm

I see DDL got a nomination, that single bone they throw to PTA every season.

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:54 pm

lux, trying to create different usernames won't help to hide your account. Your posting style is really obvious.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:03 am

Torgo wrote:
Nothing for Good Time? Shameful. Pattinson should have been nominated, if anyone.

The Globes? I dunno, but the film did really well with the Gotham awards.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:12 am

This might be a disheartening article from WaPo's Steven Zeitchik.

Fox and its film and TV studios had a very good catch with the Globes this year, earning more collective noms than any other studio (35), more than twice its nearest rival. That may, in some circles, be seen as a modicum of success, especially for more "prestige", mid-budgeted fare.

In contrast, Disney managed a total of five noms. But Disney is in talks right now to acquire much of Fox's production capacity.

WaPo wrote:
The generous read would be that they'd do just fine because Fox complementarily has movies and shows that Disney doesn't traffic in. Disney could take advantage of Fox's foothold in this area to beef up its offerings with original intellectual property.

More realistically, though, say analysts and insiders, Disney would take long and close looks at productions like these. Many of them would struggle to exist in a studio focused on global blockbusters, or tentpoles, as Disney does.

"Tentpole" is an interesting concept. For the term to have any meaning, any "tent" (studio schedule) really only needs a couple of them. Maybe a handful at best. There are no tents made up entirely of poles. It's stupid. So then would be the thought that any studio would expect every production, even a majority of their productions, to be tentpole productions.

After a year where only a handful of films managed to turn a sustainable profit, with multiple record setting weeks of poor box office and the worst summer season in a quarter generation, we see that the studio producing the more qualitatively assessed films (prestige award winners) may be bought out so that their rewarded hard work may be exactly the reason why they're about to lose their jobs. You're welcome.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:29 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
lux, trying to create different usernames won't help to hide your account. Your posting style is really obvious.

Not trying to hide. Just wanted a diff. username than RT.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:26 pm

topherH wrote:
I see DDL got a nomination, that single bone they throw to PTA every season.

He got plenty of nominations for There Will Be Blood and it was a tight race between that and No Country. Maybe since the film isn't coming out until the 25th they sent out screeners too late.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 pm

ski petrol wrote:

Not trying to hide. Just wanted a diff. username than RT.

Well, when I asked you if you were lux in the Recently Seen thread, you didn't respond, but whatever. Perhaps you simply didn't notice my comment. Anyways, like I said over there, great to have you here. I know we've had our differences in the past, but I do like you as a poster.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:38 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Anyways, like I said over there, great to have you here.

Keep it "over there", please. This thread should be sincere.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:41 pm

There's not much to talk about Janson since the awards season is kind of late this year. No clear frontrunner and I guess all the heavy hitters are still yet to come. I do expect attention for Get Out but nothing else really strikes me as awards grabbers. Maybe A Ghost Story for Rooney Mara but I doubt the Academy will recognize that film.

I was only answering Popcorn's question. Sorry the drama played out in this thread. Have a Merry Christmas and happy Hannakah.

Oh yeah and don't forget to have a merry Kwanza. I hope that is sincere enough for you. Keep chugging brotha'

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 pm

ski petrol wrote:
Have a Merry Christmas and happy Hannakah.

Same to you.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:49 pm

We need some play-off music.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Oh and a little birdy told me that The Killing of a Sacred Deer has leaked on torrent.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Is it on site where I don't need to be invited?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
The Globes? I dunno, but the film did really well with the Gotham awards.
Pattinson has a shot an an Oscar nom, as does Lopatin for the score, but we shouldn't expect much from the Hollywood "The Martian is a comedy" Press.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 am

Torgo wrote:
Pattinson has a shot an an Oscar nom, as does Lopatin for the score, but we shouldn't expect much from the Hollywood "The Martian is a comedy" Press.

He's lost his shot at an Oscar in favor of Franco. The guild awards are a better indicator of Oscar nominations than the Globes are

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:38 am

Joss Whedon wrote:
Is it on site where I don't need to be invited?

Yes. It's on all torrent sites.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:33 am

DaMU wrote:
For reals though, there should've been a push for Jason Sudeikis in Colossal this season.

A nom somewhere, please. Thought he was fantastic.

Yes. Such an underrated performance.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:50 pm

I think I can muster up some more unpopular observations for the season.

Three Billboards isn't a very good movie. It's not even the best faux-Coen clone this year (that would be Suburbicon). Like all unfortunate attempts as cloning Coen magic, it becomes immediately apparent how difficult it is to balance their dry, wry humor with moments of (usually sudden) weighty drama. Billboards reminds me of last year's Hell or High Water, another faux-Coen clone that is neither very funny or profound but had the critics eating out if its faux-collar hands. It swings from unconvincing quirk to unconvincing pathos, never settling on much of a point. I think McDonagh is probably in a better lane sticking with the more mean-spirited comedies he's known for. Billboards is also mean-spirited, ridiculously so in parts, but even a Dinklage Ex Machina can't solve its problems because he's spit out the other end just as every other redeemable aspect is.

The Post will probably win every single award of the season. It's like the Yankees buying a World Series by smashing the salary cap - Spielberg, Streep and Hanks. Of course, even Hanks has admitted, the Wapo did not actually break the Pentagon Papers story, the New York Times did, and it was the Times which took their battle against the Nixon administration to the Supreme Court. That story was apparently not thrilling enough, so instead we get the one about the back-up paper which also claimed to be Spartacus. It's more the story of Katherine Graham, a middle-aged widow fighting for her respect in the industry, rather than the Pentagon Papers or freedom of the press. (I'm guessing that her CIA ties will not be featured in the film.) Lost opportunity, in that Zach Woods (Veep, Silicon Valley) is inspired casting as Daniel Ellsberg. Too bad he won't be in very much of the movie.

Baby Driver isn't up for many awards, but I'll also point out how much it sucked. I just don't see much of a future for Jared Kushner as a leading man.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:44 am

Jinnistan wrote:

Baby Driver isn't up for many awards, but I'll also point out how much it sucked. I just don't see much of a future for Jared Kushner as a leading man.

I loved that movie. Ansel Elgort was the leading man in that movie. I don't know who Jared Kushner is.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:17 pm

I don't think I asked you a goddamn thing, Lux.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I don't think I asked you a goddamn thing, Lux.

That's OK Janson. I just wanted to correct your mistake so you don't look like a sad bitch. Not that you don't already look like a sad bitch most of the time. Sad bitch.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next