It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 A noob's journey through cinema 
Post Re: A noob's journey through cinema

Slentert wrote:
A selection of the stuff I watched the last couple of weeks.

Gladiator (2000)
Yeah, not really a prestigious Oscar contender, but still a fun dumb popcorn film.
I really expected to hate this movie, but is actually quite enjoyable.

Glad to see this thread back, Slent! As for Gladiator, I don't see how it's "dumb" on the whole (care to elaborate), but I will say that, despite it being one of the most flawed movies I would call great, with certain characters being underdeveloped and its overall rather monotone er, tone I still feel that the film as a whole is still an incredibly powerful experience, and a solid choice for Best Picture winner from that year, despite some more than worthy competition elsewhere.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Stu wrote:
Glad to see this thread back, Slent! As for Gladiator, I don't see how it's "dumb" on the whole (care to elaborate), but I will say that, despite it being one of the most flawed movies I would call great, with certain characters being underdeveloped and its overall rather monotone er, tone I still feel that the film as a whole is still an incredibly powerful experience, and a solid choice for Best Picture winner from that year, despite some more than worthy competition elsewhere.

Thanks, Stu!

Dumb might be the wrong word for it, but I found the political aspect to be quite hollow, and not really saying much. At certain moments, the movie was trying to sound smarter than it actually is, and, knowing a bit about the historical backgrounds, them talking about "the great empire of Rome" seems kind of ridiculous.

But I do think Gladiator, with it's many flaws, is still highly enjoyable, so I'm sorry if my original post made it seem like I didn't appreciate it.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:36 pm
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
A selection of the stuff I watched the last couple of weeks.

Gladiator (2000)
Yeah, not really a prestigious Oscar contender, but still a fun dumb popcorn film.
I really expected to hate this movie, but is actually quite enjoyable.
Under The Silver Lake (2018)
Or how I like to call it: Millenials' Inherent Vice.
This movie is really unbalanced, but also a whole lot of fun. I should really check out the director's other films. I heard great things about It Follows.
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)
Sorry, but this movie is so vague, I have nothing to grab onto.
Matchstick Men (2003)
My problem with most con men movies is that there always has to be a fucking twist at the end. Usually, this twist lacks any real logical, is completely unnecessary, or seem out of character.
In case of this movie, the twist isn't completely illogical, but it is still the most uninteresting way to end this. The whole movie is about the relationships between these characters, and it just throws it all away at the end.
Incredibles 2 (2018)
I think the first Incredibles film is one of the best superhero movies ever made. And this sequel is really fun, but also a bit too similar to the first one to actually feel fresh. It also lacks a compelling narative or an interesting villain. But still, some scenes had me cackling in the theatre. That counts for something.
It's Such A Beautiful Day (2012)
Rewatch

In my opinion, this is the greatest animated movie ever made. Yeah, it has stick figures, so what?!
Mandy (2018)
Heavy metal cover art come to life.
I've never seen a film that's so pretentious and consciously stupid at the same time. If you liked the trailer of this, that should give a good idea what this movie is like.
Also, best score of the year. R.I.P. Jóhann Jóhannsson...
Climax (2018)
I haven't seen any other Gaspar Noe films, but apparantly this is pretty tame for him. That's... worrying.
Hereditary (2018)
Yeah, this didn't click with me. Some scenes were great, but as a whole, it left me kind of cold. I do not know exactly why...
The Squid and the Whale (2005)
My parents are going through a divorce right now, so this movie really meant a lot to me.
Anomalisa (2015)
Rewatch.
I think this movie is actually directed by John Cusack's character in Being John Malkovich, who secretly controls Charlie Kaufman's body.
Manhattan (1979)
Rewatch.
I think this is a wonderfully made film, but I can't watch this anymore. No matter how much I believe in separating the art from the artist, I can't get over the fact that Woody Allen's character, a 42 year old man, is dating a fucking 17 year old girl. Everything else about it is great, but that part left a sour taste in mouth. I don't think I'll ever watch this again.
Arthur and the Invisibles (2006)
Rewatch.
I grew up in the 2000's, so most of the movies I watched as a little kid, were pretty shitty. This is not an exception.
The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
What if Midnight in Paris was actually good.
The High Sign (1921) + Cops (1922) + One Week (1920)
Don't talk to me about Tom Cruise when Buster Keaton did all of this 100 years ago.
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Seeing this for the first time, in a theater, with a brand new 4k-release, was a beautiful experience. This movie could've been made yesterday (or rather, tomorow).
Amélie (2001)
Rewatch.
I used to think this movie was hilarious, but now, I found it to be rather annoying. It's just quirky and cute without any real substance behind it.
But still, this movie looks gorgeous, so I didn't mind seeing this on the big screen.
The Apartment (1960)
Rewatch.
I realized this is actually a perfect movie.

I envy anyone that has a chance to watch 2001 in theaters. It seems that envy is my sin. But seriously, glad you had that chance.

Also, I totally agree about Amelie, which I saw for the first time last year. Cute film, but not much to dig at.

Casually, I saw The Apartment for the first time last night and I thought it was a pleasant surprise. Mostly because being labeled as "a comedy", I was expecting something more silly, or slapstick-y. I'm glad it was more dramatic and touching than that.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:09 pm

at least Amelie isn't Alien Resurrection. I imagine for a lot of Americans it fits into our perception of France. all that whimsy and warm colors and street cafes and cozy apartments and young lovesick girls and boys who look like Audrey Tautou and Mathieu Kassovitz. which is probably why so many Americans like it (or at least more so than something like La Haine).

also ditto on The Apartment although it makes Some Like it Hot look way more immature by comparison (it's still ok, I know SLiH wasn't made last year or anything). makes me wonder if Wilder could have seen Marilyn Monroe in a role similar to Shirley Maclaine's Fran.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
makes me wonder if Wilder could have seen Marilyn Monroe in a role similar to Shirley Maclaine's Fran.
I'm pretty Wilder was fully fed up with Monroe's party-girl behavior on set after Some Like It Hot, and I think his displeasure with her shows up in parts of The Apartment. I think Fran is intentionally a more substantial contrast to Monroe's persona from Wilder's previous films, and the movie not coincidentally contains a "Marilyn Monroe lookalike" in Joyce Jameson who plays her bit part as a baby-voiced floozy pretty broadly.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:44 pm

BL wrote:
I'm pretty Wilder was fully fed up with Monroe's party-girl behavior on set after Some Like It Hot, and I think his displeasure with her shows up in parts of The Apartment. I think Fran is intentionally a more substantial contrast to Monroe's persona from Wilder's previous films, and the movie not coincidentally contains a "Marilyn Monroe lookalike" in Joyce Jameson who plays her bit part as a baby-voiced floozy pretty broadly.

whoops, forgot about that. it has been many a year since I last saw The Apartment.

I'd still like to think that if Monroe had lived long enough that she would have eventually gotten some part that wasn't "child-like" (kinda like how Audrey Hepburn had some good roles after she aged out of playing ingenues).

Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:54 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:

whoops, forgot about that. it has been many a year since I last saw The Apartment.
Funnily enough, Monroe showed up to a preview screening The Apartment wrapped in a big mink coat, afterward telling Wilder how much she wished she could have played Fran. But Shirley MacLaine says that when she met Monroe at the bar, Monroe opened up her coat to show she wasn't wearing anything underneath. Pretty sure stuff like that is why you didn't get the part, Marilyn.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:02 am

I'm preparing myself for the new M:I (I had never seen one before) and after seeing the first four, I must admit, I'm not a big fan. They're okay, but I don't agree with all the people saying it's the best franchise ever. They all just feel so... standard.

To be fair, I'm very difficult when it comes to blockbusters and action films. They barely ever know how to grab me, so I guess its my fault rather than the movies themselves.

I'll review all of them when I've finished the series.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:15 am
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
I'm preparing myself for the new M:I (I had never seen one before) and after seeing the first four, I must admit, I'm not a big fan. They're okay, but I don't agree with all the people saying it's the best franchise ever. They all just feel so... standard.

To be fair, I'm very difficult when it comes to blockbusters and action films. They barely ever know how to grab me, so I guess its my fault rather than the movies themselves.

I wouldn't say it's "the best franchise ever", but at least it's consistent. The only one I find weak is the second one, and even that one had some cool action stunts.

For what it's worth, here's my ranking...

3 > 1 > RN > GP >>> 2

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:54 am

I've only seen Rogue Nation, and I thought it was a pretty solid action film. However, I didn't feel like it did anything spectacular to make it stand out.

Also, disappointed by the lack of love for Some Like It Hot. I thought it was really good.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:56 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I've only seen Rogue Nation, and I thought it was a pretty solid action film. However, I didn't feel like it did anything spectacular to make it stand out.

The only ones I've seen more than once are the first and the third one. I really enjoyed Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation, but I haven't felt compelled to rewatch them.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:05 am

Thief wrote:

The only ones I've seen more than once are the first and the third one. I really enjoyed Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation, but I haven't felt compelled to rewatch them.

I also liked RN quite a bit. While watching it though, I noticed that the most impressive, jaw-dropping action sequence (the plane scene) was used in the first 5 minutes. I didn't feel like the rest of the film offered anything which rivaled or topped that scene. I feel like that might be one of the reasons why I haven't been compelled to revisit it.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:18 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I also liked RN quite a bit. While watching it though, I noticed that the most impressive, jaw-dropping action sequence (the plane scene) was used in the first 5 minutes. I didn't feel like the rest of the film offered anything which rivaled or topped that scene. I feel like that might be one of the reasons why I haven't been compelled to revisit it.

I feel like this is a problem throughout the entire series. The best action set piece is always in the beginning or the middle. Except maybe in the third one.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:22 am
Profile WWW

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Also, disappointed by the lack of love for Some Like It Hot. I thought it was really good.

I really like SLiT too! It was one of the first movies that made me realize classic Hollywood can be fun too. I also love The Seven Year Itch.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:28 am
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:

I really like SLiT too! It was one of the first movies that made me realize classic Hollywood can be fun too. I also love The Seven Year Itch.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:52 am

Slentert wrote:

Hey, I never made it past the second one, so I feel ya.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:50 am

BL wrote:
Funnily enough, Monroe showed up to a preview screening The Apartment wrapped in a big mink coat, afterward telling Wilder how much she wished she could have played Fran. But Shirley MacLaine says that when she met Monroe at the bar, Monroe opened up her coat to show she wasn't wearing anything underneath. Pretty sure stuff like that is why you didn't get the part, Marilyn.

Monroe had a complicated history. I'd recommend listening to the episode about her on the You Must Remember This-podcast.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:50 am
Profile WWW

Wooley wrote:
Hey, I never made it past the second one, so I feel ya.

The second one is easily the worst and, in many ways, doesn't even feel like a Mission: Impossible film. I recommend you check the third one, if anything, for a deliciously wicked Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:54 am

Eh, I kind of think the third is the worst. These are essentially action movies, and for everything Woo gets wrong in the second one, he at least nails the action. Abrams, on the other hand, is so bad at spatial relationships and edits so liberally across the axis that it's often impossible to tell where characters are relative to each other or what basic direction they're even moving in, which is crucial to creating an intelligible action scene. The action sequences in M:I III are just frantic without being exciting or involving.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:02 am

MI:III is my second worst MI movie ahead of MI:II. I like the team dynamic it achieves - something that's sorely missing form MI:II - and Hoffman and Rhames elevate every scene they're in. The mediocre action direction does mar it, as does the screenwriting 101 plot.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:18 am

BL wrote:
Eh, I kind of think the third is the worst. These are essentially action movies, and for everything Woo gets wrong in the second one, he at least nails the action. Abrams, on the other hand, is so bad at spatial relationships and edits so liberally across the axis that it's often impossible to tell where characters are relative to each other or what basic direction they're even moving in, which is crucial to creating an intelligible action scene. The action sequences in M:I III are just frantic without being exciting or involving.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. First, one of the things that bothered me about the second one was the lack of good characters and a coherent story, and the presence of action set-pieces just for the sake of it. It is widely known that Towne was asked to write the film around certain set-pieces that Woo wanted to do, and IMO, that's the worst way to write a film. In addition, the film pretty much discarded the team aspect in order to have Tom Cruise doing "cool stuff". Granted, Ethan Hunt remains the center piece of the franchise, and we still have Tom Cruise doing "cool stuff", but they also put forward the team aspect of the franchise (at least more than the second one). That's one of the reasons why I like the third one so much. I liked how, despite Ethan being the main figure, we still got the chance to see the other team members involved. As for the action scenes, I have to say that the raid at the bridge still remains one of my favorite set-pieces of the franchise. But I also like the warehouse rescue in the first half, and the car chase in Shanghai in the latter half. I find them all to be well staged, thrilling, and effective.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:21 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:

oy! I still said it was ok. it's not Wilder's fault that Monroe's suicide kinda hangs over the movie for me.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:29 pm

Thief wrote:

The second one is easily the worst and, in many ways, doesn't even feel like a Mission: Impossible film. I recommend you check the third one, if anything, for a deliciously wicked Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Food for thought.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:57 am

Slentert wrote:
Thanks, Stu!

Dumb might be the wrong word for it, but I found the political aspect to be quite hollow, and not really saying much. At certain moments, the movie was trying to sound smarter than it actually is, and, knowing a bit about the historical backgrounds, them talking about "the great empire of Rome" seems kind of ridiculous.

But I do think Gladiator, with it's many flaws, is still highly enjoyable, so I'm sorry if my original post made it seem like I didn't appreciate it.
Yeah, Gladiator is pretty much BS in a historical sense, but it still manages to be incredibly entertaining despite that, kind of like De Palma's The Untouchables, come to think about it. Glad to hear that you really did enjoy it, at any rate!
Slentert wrote:

None of the MIs I've seen (II, III, and Ghost Protocol) I would describe as being great, and II/III aren't even particularly "good", but GP was solid entertainment, I've heard good things about RN (so I'd like to try to catch it soon), and Fallout was recently sitting on RT at 70-something reviews and a motherfucking 8.5 average score, so I can't help but be excited for it considering that, y'know? This summer's been kind of a disappointment movie-wise anyway, so here's hoping.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:28 pm

The Florida Project (2017)
I feel stupid for missing this when it played in theaters. Really liked this a lot (wasn't a big fan of Tangerine) although I'm not entirely convinced on the ending. I like the idea behind it, but how it was executed didn't feel sincere and just did not work. But to be fair, that's like 30 seconds of a two hour movie, so not that bad.
Dirty Grandpa (2016)
I didn't watch this voluntarily, my sister put this one while we were eating, and I have this weird deviation, whenever I see terrible comedy, I can't look away. It's like a terrible car accident, you know it's horrible, but you keep watching. So I watched this all the way through.
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (2013)
This came on tv. Really funny actually. I should probably check out his television show.
Forrest Gump (1994)
Rewatch
God, did I hate this. Forrest Gump is a terrible character without any agency or even personality. He just does what he is told, while at the same time, this movie subtly demonizes Robin Wright's character for being herself and finding her own path in life.
The constant winking and nudging to American history just unfolds in the least clever way possible. And for a comedy, it's shamefully unfunny.
Weirdly enough, I used to love this movie as a kid.
Y'all better watch Zelig or Being There instead of this junk.
A Night at the Opera (1935)
Theatrical watch
I never heard such loud laughter in a theatre before.
Red River (1948)
Theatrical watch
Beautiful movie. I can't believe this was the first time I've seen a film with John Wayne.
Next: Rio Bravo!
The Man With The Golden Gun (1974)
Yeah, I'm not a big James Bond fan, and this certainly didn't change my mind. It seems like they started filming this film without a script, just some ideas that seemed cool. Seriously, there is a useless subplot where James Bond is trapped in a martial arts school and needs to fight his way out, when out of nowhere his crew shows up, beats up this nameless students, and then leave, without taking Bond with them! Like they didn't realize he didn't get in the car with them. All of this just so they can show one of the most boring chase sequences ever captured on celluloid.
Also, this movie is just more evidence for what a sexist prick James Bond can be. Britt Ekland plays his assistent Mary Goodnight. She has no backbone and she is only there to be constantly hurt and humiliated by Bond, apparently.
Yeah, not even Christopher Lee can save this one.
The Big Red One (1980)
Theatrical watch
I was nailed to my seat the whole time. I should watch more films by Samuel Fuller.
(Notice, the more I like a movie, the less I'm able to say about it)
3 Women (1977)
Talking about this movie is like trying to recollect a hazy dream you once had.
Really good, but I need to rewatch it before I can say something meaningful about it.
Vive l'Amour (1994)
Theatrical watch
I didn't understand much of this. When the movie started playing, I realized there were no Dutch subtitles, only French ones, although it was advertised otherwise. I've been taking French lessons since I was 10, but I'm still terrible at it. It's just embarassing.
Luckily, there wasn't much talking at all in the film. I managed to keep track of most things and enjoying it a fair bit.
Taste of Fear (1961)
Theatrical watch
This was my first Hammer. Bad place to start. I kind of hated this, honestly.
The print was terrible, also.
To Catch a Thief (1955)
I think Hitchcock is better with portraying toxic relationships, like in Rebecca or Vertigo, rather than romances that are suposed to work. Everything about the Cary Grant and Grace Kelly relationship felt so... fake. It took away most of the charm.
I think Hitchcock once said that his main reason to film this movie was so he could have a holiday in the south of France. It shows.
Beetlejuice (1988)
If I watched this as a kid, I would've thought it's the greatest movie ever. Watching it now, it's just really fun.
Kicking and Screaming (1995)
Rewatch
A typical 90's sitcom, pressed into one and a half hour. At least it's a funny, typical 90's sitcom.
Last Night (1998)
This was a pleasant surprise. Funny, yet also unexpectedly moving.
This would make a great companion piece with Miracle Mile. Both movies are about finding love during the end of the world, but can't be more different. Highly recommended.
Angels over Broadway (1940)
John Qualen gets caught on fraude, and already prepares himself to commit suicide, when he meets a failed playwright (Thomas Mitchell), who, with the help of a smalltime crook (Douglas Fairbanks Jr.) and a wannabe dancer (Rita Hayworth), tries to "rewrite" his fate.
An amusing, okay-ish noir, although it's too sweet to actually be called that. It's on youtube, for those who are curious.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:11 am
Profile WWW

I dunno how many Fuller movies you've seen but The Big Red One is a bit of an anomaly for him (not as tight). still good though. I hope Mark Hamill appreciated Fuller's shout-out to Star Wars in White Dog.

I'm still planning to re-watch Forrest Gump one of these days because I think it will help me better understand the Boomer generation. just like Back to the Future.

also, it sounds like you have a lot of unwatched Ford on your platter. NOOOOOOOB!

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:19 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I dunno how many Fuller movies you've seen but The Big Red One is a bit of an anomaly for him (not as tight). still good though. I hope Mark Hamill appreciated Fuller's shout-out to Star Wars in White Dog.

I've only seen TBRO and Pick-up on South Street. Both I really liked. I'm very curious about White Dog.

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
also, it sounds like you have a lot of unwatched Ford on your platter. NOOOOOOOB!

Both statements are true.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:23 am
Profile WWW

I was three times the noob when I was your age.

also, where are you seeing these movies in theaters? because I'm very jealous

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:25 am

Slentert wrote:
Forrest Gump (1994)
Rewatch
God, did I hate this.

I attempted to watch this 20 years ago, bailed after 20 minutes and haven't looked back since.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:31 am

Slentert wrote:
I feel stupid for missing this when it played in theaters. Really liked this a lot (wasn't a big fan of Tangerine) although I'm not entirely convinced on the ending. I like the idea behind it, but how it was executed didn't feel sincere and just did not work. But to be fair, that's like 30 seconds of a two hour movie, so not that bad.

Last Night (1998)
This was a pleasant surprise. Funny, yet also unexpectedly moving.
This would make a great companion piece with Miracle Mile. Both movies are about finding love during the end of the world, but can't be more different. Highly recommended.

I liked the end of The Florida Project, despite it being a departure from the rest of the film. I like the idea of Disneyworld as
literally being escapism for these two little girls, but you know it won't last. There's also something really powerful about seeing them in a sea of families who can afford this kind of vacation, after only getting glimpses of those kind of people through the film.

And I agree with you on Last Night. Really solid, sad rumination. I really liked the scene where he's
propositioned by his friend, and how in this context it doesn't do any damage to their relationship
. End-of-the-world movies really stress me out, so I don't watch them often, but this was a good one.

White Dog is good. In terms of Fuller's work I've watched both Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss this last year and really liked them both.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:38 am

Slentert wrote:
I felt pretty much the same way about the ending. I'm all for it in theory
(two girls in an oppressively sad situation escaping in their imaginations to the theme park that has loomed over their lives sounds good on paper)
, but something about the execution is just...off. It might be the right ending for another movie, just not this one.

Slentert wrote:
The Man With The Golden Gun (1974)
Yeah, I'm not a big James Bond fan, and this certainly didn't change my mind. It seems like they started filming this film without a script, just some ideas that seemed cool. Seriously, there is a useless subplot where James Bond is trapped in a martial arts school and needs to fight his way out, when out of nowhere his crew shows up, beats up this nameless students, and then leave, without taking Bond with them! Like they didn't realize he didn't get in the car with them. All of this just so they can show one of the most boring chase sequences ever captured on celluloid.
Also, this movie is just more evidence for what a sexist prick James Bond can be. Britt Ekland plays his assistent Mary Goodnight. She has no backbone and she is only there to be constantly hurt and humiliated by Bond, apparently.
Yeah, not even Christopher Lee can save this one.
Unlike you, I am a big James Bond fan, but even I recognize this is not one of the good ones. In fact, Roger Moore's whole run kind of rubs me the wrong way. The way actors like Connery and Craig play the role, you always know they have a hard edge to them. They're bastards. So when they demean or mistreat women, it's not admirable but it seems in character. You know these guys are carrying some ugly stuff around in their heads. But with Moore's Bond, it's always played like he's a consummate gentleman and sophisticate, just one who happens to still treat women like garbage.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:38 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
also, where are you seeing these movies in theaters? because I'm very jealous

I live near Brussels, which happens to have a lot of repertory theaters.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:52 am
Profile WWW

Takoma1 wrote:
I liked the end of The Florida Project, despite it being a departure from the rest of the film. I like the idea of Disneyworld as
literally being escapism for these two little girls, but you know it won't last. There's also something really powerful about seeing them in a sea of families who can afford this kind of vacation, after only getting glimpses of those kind of people through the film.

I like the idea behind it too, but I have to agree with BL on this, in theory it works, in practice, not really, for me at least.

Takoma1 wrote:
And I agree with you on Last Night. Really solid, sad rumination. I really liked the scene where he's
propositioned by his friend, and how in this context it doesn't do any damage to their relationship
. End-of-the-world movies really stress me out, so I don't watch them often, but this was a good one.

Yeah, I loved that scene. I was also happy with how honest that moment was, and that they didn't make it into some kind of homophobic joke.

Takoma1 wrote:
White Dog is good. In terms of Fuller's work I've watched both Shock Corridor and The Naked Kiss this last year and really liked them both.

I'll watch those too, then.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:01 am
Profile WWW

Eh, I kind of like Forrest Gump, but yeah, it's really overrated, and I feel like it's more of a gateway film than anything. I don't know if I'll ever watch it again, because I could see myself liking it even less. I guess I just don't find sentimentality as compelling as I used to.

I actually got Beetlejuice on DVD about a month ago as it was one of my favorite films growing up. Although it didn't wow me like it did when I was younger, I still thought it was an imaginative, creative film with a great cast (minus the child actor) which made for an excellent blend of horror/comedy.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:54 am

Slentert wrote:
I like the idea behind it too, but I have to agree with BL on this, in theory it works, in practice, not really, for me at least.

I guess I don't mind the style of it, partly because it
opens up the possibility that it's a fantasy of one of the girls--running away from their problems to the happiest place on earth.

Quote:
I'll watch those too, then.

I think that Shock Corridor is the better of the two (and one stylistic choice during a certain sequence totally took my breath away), but they are both bonkers in their own ways and it's fabulous.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:15 am

Nearly everything by Fuller is worth seeing, with the exclusion of Shark, which is absolutely worthless. Fixed Bayonets, Underworld USA, House of Bamboo and motherfuckin' Forty Guns are ones that sometimes slip through the cracks, but are up there with his best.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:21 am

I think my problem with the ending of The Florida Project is that the whole movie is pretty loose in structure, and then all of a sudden you get a climax that starts to build really quickly, but then fizzles out all of a sudden and stops really abruptly. It just seems clumsy. Tangerine I found also had a clumsy climactic scene, but fits it better into the pace of the rest of the film.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:00 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I attempted to watch this 20 years ago, bailed after 20 minutes and haven't looked back since.

Hey, it beat Pulp Fiction for Best Picture, so ya know it's good!

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Eh, I kind of like Forrest Gump, but yeah, it's really overrated, and I feel like it's more of a gateway film than anything. I don't know if I'll ever watch it again, because I could see myself liking it even less. I guess I just don't find sentimentality as compelling as I used to.

I actually got Beetlejuice on DVD about a month ago as it was one of my favorite films growing up. Although it didn't wow me like it did when I was younger, I still thought it was an imaginative, creative film with a great cast (minus the child actor) which made for an excellent blend of horror/comedy.

Oddly, Beetlejuice almost wows me more now than when it was in theaters. I can't quite explain it, but there are 3 movies in a 5 year span with a similar vibe that, to me, were fun but did not totally come together as far as I was concerned when I saw them as a precocious mid-to-late-teenager.
Little Shop Of Horrors
Beetlejuice
The Addams Family

Now I think all 3 are brilliant. But I would, without hesitation, put Beetlejuice number one among them with the other two free to fight it out for second (probably Shop).

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Wooley wrote:
Oddly, Beetlejuice almost wows me more now than when it was in theaters. I can't quite explain it, but there are 3 movies in a 5 year span with a similar vibe that, to me, were fun but did not totally come together as far as I was concerned when I saw them as a precocious mid-to-late-teenager.
Little Shop Of Horrors
Beetlejuice
The Addams Family

Now I think all 3 are brilliant. But I would, without hesitation, put Beetlejuice number one among them with the other two free to fight it out for second (probably Shop).

I haven't seen the other 2 films you mentioned, but I remember watching the alternate ending to Little Shop Of Horrors quite some time ago. If the actual film is that fun, I feel like it might be right up my alley. Also, the Corie Class Trip we did on Spider-Baby got me interested in checking out The Addams Family as I remember someone made a comparison to that film.

As for other films and shows with Beetlejuice's vibe, I remember being a fan of Tales From The Darkside, and I'd often watch it back to back with The Twilight Zone. I watched 3 episodes from the show recently. I thought one was really great and darkly humorous, one was pretty good, and one was crap. I also liked Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction when I was a kid. Although it's a bit cheesy and often reuses the "The person helping out/interacting with the protagonist was dead all along" twist, it's still a pretty good show. I'd recommend both of these if you haven't seen them yet.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Little Shop of Horrors is a hoot. I saw it for the first time back when I was a kid, and have loved it since. The soundtrack is a killer too.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Rock wrote:
I think my problem with the ending of The Florida Project is that the whole movie is pretty loose in structure, and then all of a sudden you get a climax that starts to build really quickly, but then fizzles out all of a sudden and stops really abruptly. It just seems clumsy.

See, something that I thought was really well done in the film is that the climax builds quickly only from the point of view of the children. From my point of view, police or DSS intervention was an inevitability and it begins at the halfway point of the film: the mother is
taking sexy selfies and posting online; then the managers of her hotel know that the is working as a prostitute out of the hotel (something we already saw someone get kicked out for); then she scams someone who doesn't contact the police but it's only a matter of time; etc

From the point of view of the daughter
it is sudden, but I think that she also realizes that this is the end of her childhood with her mother. Things are not going to be okay, and she can sense that. Whether the ending is a literal running away, or if it's just a fantasy, it's an act of desperation that fits with how a child would act when her world has come crashing down. In that moment, for that child, there is no way forward except escape/retreat into fantasy.

This is what it's like a lot of the time when there is DSS intervention: for the kid it is both a climax and an anti-climax. Often, nothing is actually resolved, it's just a shift to a different kind of stress.

I think that what you're experiencing as an underwhelming narrative and stylistic choice is working for me because I feel like the "clumsiness" and abruptness of the film itself matches the emotional headspace of the main character.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:34 pm

I think I also may not have taken a liking to that ending because an orchestral version of Celebration is just such a cheesy choice.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I haven't seen the other 2 films you mentioned, but I remember watching the alternate ending to Little Shop Of Horrors quite some time ago. If the actual film is that fun, I feel like it might be right up my alley. Also, the Corie Class Trip we did on Spider-Baby got me interested in checking out The Addams Family as I remember someone made a comparison to that film.

As for other films and shows with Beetlejuice's vibe, I remember being a fan of Tales From The Darkside, and I'd often watch it back to back with The Twilight Zone. I watched 3 episodes from the show recently. I thought one was really great and darkly humorous, one was pretty good, and one was crap. I also liked Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction when I was a kid. Although it's a bit cheesy and often reuses the "The person helping out/interacting with the protagonist was dead all along" twist, it's still a pretty good show. I'd recommend both of these if you haven't seen them yet.

Yeah, I think Shop very wisely cast Ellen Greene, a stage veteran and aces singer, as Audrey. She really holds the film up, allowing the other players to do what movie-stars do.
Furthermore, the movie features a 60s doo-wop girl-group as a Greek chorus, which is in the play but they kept it and its awesome.
As for the ending, I have seen both and have no preference, they both work for me.

The Addams Family did not work for me in '91 because, even though I was a fan of Chas Addams' cartoons, I was just too invested in seeing a recreation of the 60s television show.
Now, in retrospect, I thin they did a marvelous job, especially reflecting the vibe (as well as numerous specific jokes) of Addams' work and, really, Julia and Houston are just fucking magnificent.

I also used to watch Darkside religiously (to this day I can recite the opening bit verbatim at any moment) and of course Zone, as well as The Outer Limits. Don't know Beyond Belief, or at least don't remember it, but I may seek it out on your rec.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:28 am

Wooley wrote:
Don't know Beyond Belief, or at least don't remember it, but I may seek it out on your rec.

Beyond Belief is a pretty fun show in spite of a couple issues. Here's a few of my favorite segments from the show in case you want a reference.

The Wrong Turn
Hurbert's Curse
Ghost Visitor

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:22 am

Wooley wrote:

The Addams Family did not work for me in '91 because, even though I was a fan of Chas Addams' cartoons, I was just too invested in seeing a recreation of the 60s television show.
Now, in retrospect, I thin they did a marvelous job, especially reflecting the vibe (as well as numerous specific jokes) of Addams' work and, really, Julia and Houston are just fucking magnificent.

Also, must note the sequel is in rare air. In meaning that it's better than the original.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:55 am

John Dumbear wrote:

Also, must note the sequel is in rare air. In meaning that it's better than the original.
Really damn quotable, too.

"Isn't he a lady killer."

"Acquitted!"

Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:47 am

John Dumbear wrote:

I really like the sequel, but not as much, I don't think, as the first.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:00 am

Wooley wrote:
Little Shop Of Horrors
Beetlejuice
The Addams Family

Now I think all 3 are brilliant.

Don't forget Darkman! I see Raimi and Burton as the head of the pack leading to this hyper-stylized dark-comic mode. Batman being the commercial fulcrum of the style.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:16 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I think that what you're experiencing as an underwhelming narrative and stylistic choice is working for me because I feel like the "clumsiness" and abruptness of the film itself matches the emotional headspace of the main character.

I honestly have no idea what a better ending to Florida Project could have been.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 252 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next