It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 A noob's journey through cinema 
Post Re: A noob's journey through cinema

Wooley wrote:

I don't get it. Never will. The movie is rarely funny and it rarely works on any other level. Few of the characters are even amusing, when Geoffrey Rush wasn't on-screen my eyes were sore from rolling or I was just sighing and checking my watch. But I heard people praise this movie a lot on RT.

Having being compared to a spoof of superhero films is correct. But its not even remotely close to the likes of "Galaxy Quest", spoof wise.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 am

Just wanted to point out that Haxan is way better than Vampyr, and neither may not be as good as Gance's Napoleon.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:22 am

Let the Corpses Tan (2017)

This movie is just pure style. The narrative is stripped down to the bare minimum. And you know what, it's damn entertaining.

It's like Godard said "All you need for a movie is a girl and a gun.".

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:48 pm
Profile WWW

I want to see that out of interest in the genre it's supposed to be riffing on, but am wary because I hated the directors' last movie.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:13 am

I have not seen any of their previous work, so I can not compare.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:57 pm
Profile WWW

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Although, like Thief said, watch films from other places other than just one list. Many of my favorites made it on this list, but many more weren't on it.

And, Slentert, never be afraid to make up your own list of films to see, such as "All Kubrick films" or "All Kurosawa films" or "All Tarkovsy" films or "All Bava movies" or "All Claire Denis films" or "All [insert any director's name here] films." In other words, don't be afraid to pick out one or two filmmakers and watch everything that's still published that he/she created. Unless you get started and don't like anything they did. Then pick another director. You can choose anyone you know about, old-timer or newbie. I sort of favor directors with short filmographies for projects like that. :D But you don't have to select a director; an actor or actress, a set designer, an audio technician...anyone could be the basis for such a list.

If nothing else, seeing all Alfred Hitchcock's many films from the silents through Family Plot will teach you the range one person can have. And you don't have to see them in order. It took me 30 years to work through all of them. And I get the idea that you already know you don't have to agree with anyone's assessment of any film you see. But it's okay to agree if you agree with their points about any film. ;)

If you love the Marvel Cinematic Universe it doesn't preclude you liking any kind of art-house film, or silent films. Or any kind of film at all. And if you don't like MCU there's nothing wrong with you in that case, either.

Speaking of silents (which no one was, but I am now), I didn't read all four pages, so if no one else suggested Sunrise (1927) and/or Wings (1927) give those a shot when you feel ready to watch some silent masterpieces. The places they put cameras to get some really cool angles before sound blimps had to be developed! Wow! And the special effects back then...well, knowing the history of cinema because you discovered it yourself is much better than reading about it in books (or threads).

When I was 16 I saw my second Kubrick film. It was my favorite film of all time for decades. The first one of his films I saw in a high school film club, and that film was Paths of Glory. The second one I saw is still my second-favorite movie of my entire life. Only one film has ever eclipsed it in my opinion. Still, I've seen my number two film over a dozen times, all told. In fact, I lost count.

Your tastes seem quite broad already. That is a good thing, as far as I can see. So, if you're curious about any film, watch it. You seem to be doing that already, but encouragement is ... well, usually encouraging.

Take my advice and stay away from the internet drivel listed in my signature. It's going to become a vast wasteland of nothing but text pretty soon, anyway.

Last, I admire your distinctly brief reviews.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:27 am

Gort, thank you so much. :)

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:07 pm
Profile WWW

01010000 01101111 01101100 01101001 01110011 01101000 00100000 01110000 01100001 01110011 01110011 01110000 01101111 01110010 01110100 01110011 00100000 01110011 01101111 01101100 01100100 00100000 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100001 00100000 01000001 01101100 01110011 01101111 00101100 00100000 01100100 01100101 01110011 01110100 01110010 01101111 01111001 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101000 01110101 01101101 01100001 01101110 01110011 00101110

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:07 pm

On the plus side, Hazel hasn't found this place...yet...

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:21 am

Gort wrote:
Speaking of silents (which no one was, but I am now), I didn't read all four pages, so if no one else suggested Sunrise (1927) and/or Wings (1927) give those a shot when you feel ready to watch some silent masterpieces. The places they put cameras to get some really cool angles before sound blimps had to be developed! Wow! And the special effects back then...well, knowing the history of cinema because you discovered it yourself is much better than reading about it in books (or threads).

Silents were covered on page 3. Get on with the program, Gort!

Something that wasn't mentioned, but I would really recommend seeing some early, early shorts... Méliès, Lumière, and the likes.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:04 am

Thief wrote:
Silents were covered on page 3. Get on with the program, Gort!

That would have required not jumping from page 1 to page 4, Thief!

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread. Catalog Rounds 1-3
Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)
Images disappeared 14 Feb 2018 -- forever.
I had fun. Thanks for reading!

The Future Unreels will also lose all its images on the same day. But just think about how many images Jedi has on Photobucket, and the other posters here.

Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 am

20th Century Women (2016)
Sometimes, you just want to cuddle a movie to death.

Drunken Master (1978)

I'm sorry, Jackie Chan- lovers, but I didn't like this at all. The jokes were never funny, the fight scenes never particularly exciting.

My Little Pony: The Movie (2017)
A friend of mine wanted to know what kind of movies I liked, so she started watching some titles from my top 100. She loved My Neighbor Totoro, was amazed by Pulp Fiction, and The Night of the Hunter became her first b/w film.

After all that, she wanted me to return the favor. She forced me to watch this. I found it annoying. She loved it.

A Futile and Stupid Gesture (2018)
Some jokes don't change the fact that this still feels like an adaptation from a Wikipedia page, a disease not rare among biopics. Don't get me wrong, it was funny sometimes, but the more emotional scenes left me completely cold.

Little Women (1994)

This movie walks the fine line between utterly charming and quite annoying. It tends to lean more towards the former.

The Chase (1966)

Well, this was a nice surprise! A rather underseen Arthur Penn- movie starring Marlon Brando, Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Robert Duvall and James Fox. When Bubber (Redford) escapes out of prison, a little Southern town starts to revolt. Because they're scared, or because they're angry, or maybe just because they are bored. Sheriff Calder (Brando) tries to do good in this wrong situation, but eventually this can only lead to misery.

This movie often switches from melodrama to social satire and I can understand how this can put people of, but for me this worked like a charm. Great characterization, strong dialogues, and Brando is just outstanding. Highly recommended.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:39 pm
Profile WWW

my recollection of MLP is a positive one, surely some of that Lauren Faust magic that buoyed Foster's Home and The Powerpuff Girls.

but, uh, there's nothing I can say about its adult-male fanbase that hasn't already been said. but it's a free country I guess. *shrug*

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:12 pm

Slentert wrote:
Drunken Master (1978)[/b]
I'm sorry, Jackie Chan- lovers, but I didn't like this at all. The jokes were never funny, the fight scenes never particularly exciting.

Well, at least you liked The Chase.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:10 am

Slentert wrote:
A Futile and Stupid Gesture (2018)
Some jokes don't change the fact that this still feels like an adaptation from a Wikipedia page, a disease not rare among biopics. Don't get me wrong, it was funny sometimes, but the more emotional scenes left me completely cold.

Pretty much agreed, but as a fan of vintage Lampoon, I can't deny enjoying it on that level. I would recommend the documentary Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead which is more informative, more faithful to the real Doug Kenney, and ultimately more successfuly told.

Slentert wrote:
The Chase (1966)
Well, this was a nice surprise! A rather underseen Arthur Penn- movie starring Marlon Brando, Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, Robert Duvall and James Fox. When Bubber (Redford) escapes out of prison, a little Southern town starts to revolt. Because they're scared, or because they're angry, or maybe just because they are bored. Sheriff Calder (Brando) tries to do good in this wrong situation, but eventually this can only lead to misery.

This movie often switches from melodrama to social satire and I can understand how this can put people of, but for me this worked like a charm. Great characterization, strong dialogues, and Brando is just outstanding. Highly recommended.

Arther Penn, in general, is a bit of an underappreciated director who isn't as likely to get mentioned in the same breath as his peers (Lumet, Nichols, Altman, etc). Of course Bonnie and Clyde gets recognition, but I don't even feel that film compares to his best (Little Big Man, Night Moves, Missouri Breaks). The Chase actually got some pretty steady rotation on TCM in America, but a number of his earlier films, like Left-Handed Gun, The Train, and Mickey One are also worth seeking out. Oh, and Miracle Worker, if you're into that sort of thing.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:30 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Pretty much agreed, but as a fan of vintage Lampoon, I can't deny enjoying it on that level. I would recommend the documentary Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead which is more informative, more faithful to the real Doug Kenney, and ultimately more successfuly told.

Yeah, that doc was a real eye-opener for me on the subject but also really kinda depressed me.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:11 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Arther Penn, in general, is a bit of an underappreciated director who isn't as likely to get mentioned in the same breath as his peers (Lumet, Nichols, Altman, etc). Of course Bonnie and Clyde gets recognition, but I don't even feel that film compares to his best (Little Big Man, Night Moves, Missouri Breaks). The Chase actually got some pretty steady rotation on TCM in America, but a number of his earlier films, like Left-Handed Gun, The Train, and Mickey One are also worth seeking out. Oh, and Miracle Worker, if you're into that sort of thing.

I'll echo Janson's endorsement of all of these films, although I'd rank them differently than he would. Didn't realize Penn co-directed Train. I've been halfassedly exploring both Penn and Frankenheimer since the beginning of the year so perhaps, so perhaps that's worth a revisit.

I liked The Chase when I saw it last year. Brando is obviously the highlight, but drunk Janice Rule and southern James Fox add to the fun.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:25 pm

Slentert wrote:
Drunken Master (1978)
I remember feeling that the first old-school Chan film that I watched, Police Story (which a lot of people say is one of his best movies, mind you), had really good action in it, but a lot of the material outside of the fighting didn't make much on an impression, so don't feel too alone in criticizing Jackie. I'm still probably interested in checking out Project A someday, though.

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:40 pm

Rock wrote:
I'll echo Janson's endorsement of all of these films, although I'd rank them differently than he would. Didn't realize Penn co-directed Train. I've been halfassedly exploring both Penn and Frankenheimer since the beginning of the year so perhaps, so perhaps that's worth a revisit.

I'm curious, then, what your rank would look like. I'm going to assume that Missouri Breaks will fall out of the top-tier, because it doesn't usually earn such high accolades and because I already know your feelings on the other two.

I was also surprised by The Train, but I saw it on his filmography and said, well, it is a damn fine film.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:39 am

I really like Nicholson and Stanton in The Missouri Breaks. I find Brandon's performance interesting, but I'm not sure Penn really knew how to handle him (not many did, to be fair).

My rankings don't contain any surprises, aside from the scene, aside from the absence of The Miracle Worker, which I haven't seen (just realized I missed that last sentence). The top four I'd say are great or close to it, the bottom four are still quality.

Bonnie & Clyde
Little Big Man
The Train
Night Moves
Mickey One
The Missouri Breaks
The Left Handed Gun
The Chase

Have you by any chance seen Target with Gene Hackman or his Penn & Teller movie? I haven heard much about either and doubt they're all that good, but the subject matter of both sounds right up my alley(s).

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:20 am

Arthur Penn

1) Night Moves
2) Bonnie and Clyde
3) Left Handed Gun
4) The Chase
5) Missouri Breaks
6) The Miracle Worker
7) Little Big Man

I have seen Penn and Teller Get Killed but I was about 12 or 13 and remember nothing other than the fact that I hated it. It definitely wouldn't have been my kind of thing at that age though, even though I loved Penn and Teller. I just clearly didn't want to see them in a movie. I'd be more than happy to revisit it though.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:31 am

Rock wrote:
I find Brandon's performance interesting, but I'm not sure Penn really knew how to handle him (not many did, to be fair).

It's an eccentric performance, but it's kind of grown endearing to me. Probably because it allows Jack to believably deliver the best line in the film.

Rock wrote:
Bonnie & Clyde

It's hard to find anything to hate about this classic, but outside of cerebrally appreciating its cultural significance, I haven't connected to it the way I have certain others.

Rock wrote:
Have you by any chance seen Target with Gene Hackman or his Penn & Teller movie? I haven heard much about either and doubt they're all that good, but the subject matter of both sounds right up my alley(s).

Target is not bad at all, a quality political thriller. Penn and Teller is pretty funny.....back when they were still funny. Of the rest, I haven't seen Four Friends, Inside and Dead of Winter are pretty good. I've never liked Alice's Restaurant.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:43 am

crumbsroom wrote:
7) Little Big Man

Well, this is just distressing.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:44 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Well, this is just distressing.

There would be nothing substantive about what I'd have to say about it, but my memories of watching it were not good. There are at least two much loved classic Westerns from around this period that I actively dislike, this one and Outlaw Josey Wales, for ambiguous reasons I was unable to put my finger on. I can't even hedge on it and talk about any performance in it that worked for me, which makes even me uncomfortable, considering how I generally like pretty much everything Hoffman did for the first 2/3's of his career.

If I ever watch it again, which I always ultimately do with films I feel this negatively towards, I'll try and clarify what I didn't like. But I didn't like.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:52 am

fwiw, I liked Four Friends although I get why a lot of people didn't. for one, you could argue that it's 6hrs of story packed into 2hrs but for me that gives it a poetic charm, of life moving fast and furiously.

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:09 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

There are at least two much loved classic Westerns from around this period that I actively dislike, this one and Outlaw Josey Wales, for ambiguous reasons I was unable to put my finger on.

:shock:

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4