It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Apex Predator's Film Thread Volume 2.0 
Post Re: Apex Predator's Film Thread Volume 2.0

The thing that I love about The Seventh Seal is the way that several of its moments just really stick with me.

For example, when the servant finds the girl in the house and she's scared and backs away from him. I've seen the line that he says to her translated in two different ways, but the VHS copy I watched years ago presented it as "Go ahead and yell. No one hears screams anymore", and that line has always stuck with me as something so profoundly creepy and totally captures the horror of being in a place where there really is chaos. Also the detail when they are transporting the witch and one of the characters mentions that they've broken her hands.

Between many moments like those and some of the amazing imagery, it's really one of my favorite films, hands down.

I can also recommend his autobiography.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
My issue with the film was that the movie focused more attention on the other characters rather than Antonius.

This was my exact issue with the film. I was really underwhelmed by it.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:26 pm

And off we go!

See a film in the Italian Language
See a film without CGI or Special Effects

Welcome Mr. President (2013)

Warning to those thinking of waging a protest vote by using a famous historical figure: check the laws to see if there are any quirks. Because several Italian kingmakers failed to do so and now the President of Italy is a fisherman and former storyteller for a recently closed library.

Although he agrees with the kingmakers at first and tries to resign, he decides ultimately that he can't go through with it and decides to stick on. Although his female handler/adviser is driven crazy by his refusal to accept protocol, his honesty and likable nature does have him gaining popularity fairly quickly.

The kingmakers decide to ruin him due to his desire to pass laws to solve various problems (there's a gang of 4 who profits off of the problems). First, through looking for skeletons in the closet. Then, through lying. And finally, through illegal ingredients in the President's pizza.

But none of these work. However, the President finds himself in a crisis involving some information and people he loves who might be affected by it.

Its mix of physical humor and verbal humor were good for some laughs. But there was a sequence where (Takoma alert)

It's revealed that the uptight adviser is secretly insatiable, more than willing to slap a man multiple times. And if he slaps back, she's driven wild!

Some dull patches, odd moments, and a cliffhanger ending do keep me from a full endorsement. But it did alright considering I've never heard of this before I started looking in Netflix's section in desperation as Fellini's The Clowns was not streaming like I was told it was. Disappointing!

This film does offer enough modest laughs that it might squeak out a second term. Might.

Next: A surprise suddenly appears!

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:18 am

Hadn't finished the surprise as of yet. But I did have a busy Sunday with three films (two newbies and one rewatch).

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 am

Film with under 5 Major Characters (depending on what you think about the girlfriend, it was either 3 or 4)

Good Day for a Hanging (1959):

The sheriff is dead. We know for sure after a bank robbery goes wrong in the getaway that someone's gonna die. It was almost Ben Cutler (Fred MacMurray) when his horse is shot out from under him. But they were able to collar who Ben thinks is the killer in Eddie Campbell (Robert Vaughn).

But Eddie proclaims his innocence. Thanks to a zealous prosecutor and reasonable doubt, the townspeople start to be swayed by him. This includes his childhood friend Laurie (Joan Blackman) who happens to be Ben's daughter. Also with some questions is Ruth (Margaret Hayes), Ben's longtime love.

Newly sworn sheriff Ben is determined that a) Eddie is going to have his day in court and b) that he saw Eddie shoot the sheriff. Ultimately the trial leads to a new set of problems threatening everything he loves and holds dear.

This is surprisingly meaty for what I would suspect was a B-western. It deals with the questions of what is justice and how far one would go in order to do the right and honorable thing. I felt like MacMurray and Vaughn gave good performances (Vaughn's teary eyed scene in front of a judge might have you shedding a tear yourself). There's other interesting names in the cast: James Drury (The Virginian), Denver Pyle (Dukes of Hazzard), Howard McNear (Floyd from the Andy Griffith series), Bing Russell (Kurt's father).

There were some flaws of course. They did a real poor job of using blood squibs which took away from the first gunfight. Instead of seeing these questions through until the conclusion, they opted for a cop out in the third act.

To be fair, it was quite possible that several of the robbers were still alive. So, maybe it wasn't that much of one.

The result was a fairly decent western that could have been a good one had there been some things tightened up.

Next: Perhaps the worst film I've seen in several months?

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:51 am

A film in a country you've never visited (New Zealand definitely qualifies)

Pecking Order (2017):

For half of this documentary's runtime, I thought I was watching the latest from Christopher Guest.

The subject would fit. It's about a group of poultry raisers in Christchurch, New Zealand as they prepare their fowls for national competition. The chicken farmers have various personalities and range in age from about 10 or so to some in their late 60s.

But there's more than meets the eye. The film is also about the battle for power in the Christchurch Poultry, Bantam, and Pigeon Club as some people start to turn against current president Doug and his efforts. They want to appeal towards a younger crowd and even go online as they fear in about 20 years or so, it will cease to exist.

As the competition draws closer, a coup is attempted. Will it succeed? Will one of the chicken farmers succeed at winning in nationals?

Can you keep your eyelids open? Can you keep from rolling said eyes at the overly cutesy interstitial titles?

Admittedly, it gets a bit more interesting as the machinations of the club come in the spotlight. But it takes away from seeing the competitors in action and learning more about their craft.

The show itself turns out to be, um, anti-climatic in nature. Which is not surprising because we see less of the contestants than we'd like and thus don't have that much of a rooting interest in the outcome.

To be frank, this documentary lays an egg.

Apparently I'm the only one in a fowl mood. 100 percent of critics liked it and 91 percent of the audience enjoyed it according to our previous site. :rotten:

Next: A visit from an old, "sick" friend.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:06 am

A film with the character's name in the title
A film you remember from childhood

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)*
* indicates a rewatch

Ferris (Matthew Broderick) determines that if he can only have one more off day that it had better count. So he invites best friend Cameron (Alan Ruck) to join him on a trip through Chicago. When their efforts to get girlfriend Sloane (Mia Sara) lead to some unexpected complications, they decide to "borrow" Cameron's father's Ferrari to make a convincing getaway.

But Principal Rooney (Jeffrey Jones) suspects that Ferris is trying to con him and decides to catch him in the act. His efforts lead to a long memorable day for him.

Also suspicious is Jeanie (Jennifer Grey), Ferris's exasperated sister, who can't understand why her brother gets away with everything. (She did get a car while he got a computer, so there's maybe some compensation for that?). She decides to ditch school to catch him as well.

Meanwhile, Ferris and his friends go throughout Chicago catching a Cubs game, eating a fancy lunch, attending a museum, and even crashing a parade. But will this day be memorable for all the right, or the wrong, reasons?

To be honest, this film didn't click for me the last time I saw it. I started to turn against Ferris's character as being unlikeable and obnoxious.

But this time, it mostly worked. Characters had their intended effect. Ferris was the ringleader, but a benevolent one. Cameron gradually grows stronger, while Sloane blends between being an adult and being a teen.

I never fully bought why
her parents were so miffed by Jeanie being in a police station. Um, maybe show a bit of sympathy because she was afraid for her life? Some gratitude that she was alive and well? Nah, we'll throw a fit over losing an account and act like Cameron's father for a few minutes...
Oh, and there's a couple of scenes involving Rooney that feel sleazy in retrospect.

This may be the John Hughes film that most holds up to present day.

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:10 am

And for film number 5 of April, I might have found a G rated film that might be appropriate for the month?

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:02 am

Apex Predator wrote:
And for film number 5 of April, I might have found a G rated film that might be appropriate for the month?

Disappointed by the lack of curiosity, but on the plus side, I think this might be one of those months where I aim to travel the world cinematically.

Stops already in Italy, Nebraska, New Zealand, and Chicago. Where in the world will Apex travel to next?

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4