It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #5: Black Friday (Sat 12/30) 
Post Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #5: Black Friday (Sat 12/30)

Corrie Class Trip is a project where we rotate the selection of a title for group watches on an appointed day/date to then discuss [previous iterations linked below]. We welcome all to participate and share their thoughts and feelings! The fifth viewing for Round 3 is scheduled for Saturday December 30th. Please post about the film itself and your experience with it in this thread, and any off-topic posts about the series itself in the Class Trip Discussion Thread.

Thanks and enjoy!!!

xoxo,
your classmates

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Saturday, December 30th 2017

Black Friday (Anurag Kashyap, 2004)

Wikipedia wrote:
Black Friday is a 2004 Indian crime drama film written and directed by Anurag Kashyap based on Black Friday – The True Story of the Bombay Bomb Blasts, a book by Hussain Zaidi about the 1993 Bombay bombings. The film's creative consultant, Chandramohan Puppala, attempted to recreate those events and the intense feelings that followed them. It won the Grand Jury Prize at the Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles and was a nominee for the Best Film (Golden Leopard) award at the Locarno International Film Festival. The film was so controversial that the Indian Censor Board did not allow it to be released in India for three years and was finally released on 9 February 2007 after Supreme Court of India allowed it following the verdict in the '93 Bombay blast case was delivered by TADA court.

Past Trips, Junior Year:

#1 - La maternelle (1933, Jean Benoît-Lévy & Marie Epstein, France) | wigwam
#2 - Time and Winds (2006, Reha Erdem, Turkey) | Oxnard Montalvo
#3 - Clean, Shaven (1993, Lodge Kerrigan, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#4 - Diabeł (1972, Andrzej Żuławski, Poland) | Oxnard Montalvo

Past Trips, Sophomore Year:

#1 - The Worthless (1982, Mika Kaurismäki, Finland) | snapper
#2 - Shopping for Fangs (1997, Quentin Lee and Justin Lin, USA) | takeshi
#3 - The Heart of the Wise Lives in the House of Sorrow (2009, Marin Malešević, Serbia) | Shieldmaiden
#4 - The Forbidden Quest (1993, Peter Delpeut, Netherlands) | kopello
#5 - São Bernardo (1972, Leon Hirszman, Brazil) | Bandy Greensacks
#6 - Evdokia (1971, Alexis Damianos, Greece) | Epistemophobia
#7 - The Ball at the Anjō House (1947, Kōzaburō Yoshimura, Japan) | snapper
#8 - Sérail (1976, Eduardo de Gregorio, France) | takeshi
#9 - Passport for a Corpse (1962, Mario Gariazzo, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#10 - Aksuat (1997, Serik Aprimov, Kazakhstan) | Shieldmaiden
#11 - Dangerously Excited (2011, Koo, South Korea) | wigwam
#12 - Himala (1982, Ishmael Bernal, Philippines) | snapper

Past Trips, Freshman Year:

#1 - Distant Journey (1949, Alfréd Radok, Czechoslovakia) | snapper
#2 - Nanami: The Inferno of First Love (1968, Susumu Hani, Japan) | Das
#3 - The Policewoman (2003, Joaquim Sapinho, Portugal) | charulata
#4 - Freeze, Die, Come to Life! (1989, Vitali Kanevsky, USSR) | Bandy Greensacks
#5 - The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974, Francesco Barilli, Italy) | Trip
#6 - Weddings and Babies (1958, Morris Engel, USA) | snapper
#7 - The Man with Three Coffins (1987, Lee Jang-ho, South Korea) | Notes from Underground
#8 - Malina (1991, Werner Schroeter, Germany) | Shieldmaiden
#9 - Bad Luck (1960, Andrzej Munk, Poland) | B-Side
#10 - The Girl with the Suitcase (1961, Valerio Zurlini, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#11 - The Engagement of Anna (1972, Pantelis Voulgaris, Greece) | BandyGreensacks
#12 - Our Neighbor, Miss Yae (1934. Yasujirō Shimazu, Japan) | snapper

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:14 pm
Post Re: Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #5: Black Friday (Sat 12/30)

Huh. I thought this might be the Karloff/Lugosi crime drama.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:16 pm

I'll see you on Saturday.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:19 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Huh. I thought this might be the Karloff/Lugosi crime drama.

I've got this exact movie poster...somewhere. It's probably why I think the same thing whenever I see that title.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:29 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I've got this exact movie poster...somewhere.

Class Trip to Crumb's Closet!!!

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Class Trip to Crumb's Closet!!!

I expect dozens of rolled up Carny posters.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Rock wrote:
I expect dozens of rolled up Carny posters.

I have them all folded up under my pillow, a hopeful peace offering to ward off the Gary Busey nightmares that sit on my face every night.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 pm

Sadly, Gary Busey is NOT in Black Friday.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:44 pm

A 30 year old bottle of Romilar? You've been holding out, crumb.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Rock wrote:
Sadly, Gary Busey is NOT in Black Friday.

Ah jeez, now nobody will watch the movie!

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Boo. You guys should have watched the Raoul Ruiz. Do any of you even know his work?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:27 pm

I can't promise I'll have this within two days. but! I'm definitely in. especially since I've seen exactly zero Indian films from the last 40 or so years.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:26 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I can't promise I'll have this within two days. but! I'm definitely in. especially since I've seen exactly zero Indian films from the last 40 or so years.

Someone needs to take a huge dose of this

3-D glasses not necessary.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:32 pm

My pancreas!!!

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:40 pm

ski petrol wrote:
Boo. You guys should have watched the Raoul Ruiz. Do any of you even know his work?

The Ruiz didn't have Gary Busey either, so it's kind of a wash.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:44 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

Someone needs to take a huge dose of this

3-D glasses not necessary.

This guy gets it.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:44 pm

I actually just watched A Cat in the Brain and... it's probably good that I didn't make that the class trip.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Interesting procedural, but way too long. It does have some really great sequences, like that one chase scene halfway through, where everyone keeps running until they are deadly tired.

But one of the most frustrating things about it is that even though the writing has a clear sense of drama, it pays very little attention to character development, so most roles don't feel very distinguished from each other.

The plot on the other hand, is so intricate and so specific, it got kind of hard to follow. But maybe I'm just too stupid.

I think the monochrome filters got a little annoying after a while too, even if I got what the director was going for with it.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:38 pm
Profile WWW

I didn't have a problem with the length or limited character development. The movie's pulling from stuff like Traffic (which is also where it gets the coloured filters, although it doesn't use them as effectively to delineate the story threads) and The Battle of Algiers in that it uses a less linear style to capture the scope and implications of its subject matter at the risk of making it harder to invest in individual characters. I did find the momentum of the investigation kept me involved and that the inspector and Badshah Khan provided effective human vantage points to the proceedings for me to invest in (and I appreciated that the movie didn't let either one off the hook, as it never shies away from the human cost of Badshah's actions and makes the inspector pretty unapologetic in his tactics). That being said, I was somewhat aware of the events and who Dawood Ibrahim and Tiger Memon were before watching the movie, so that may have helped me navigate the plot and characters a bit more easily.

I'd agree that the chase scene is a clear highlight, and I also liked the scene where the cops go to arrest the one guy in the john, who then tries to escape out the window only to be greeted by another cop standing right outside. Kashyap's very good at scenes like this that take scenes that would be thrilling in other movies and having them backfire humourously (Gangs of Wasseypur has an attempted hit that fails because the zip guns used by the assassins fall apart, and Satya, which he co-wrote but didn't direct, has a scene where two gangsters botch a getaway when their scooter falls over).

That being said, while I think this is a pretty effective film on the whole, this is one of Kashyap's earlier films and I don't think he'd really developed his voice yet. The thing with the filters feels like a steal from Traffic just because that film had them rather than an organic stylistic choice. Some of his later films have a more accomplished mixture of realism and artifice (there's a bit of that here, particularly the way he shoots Dawood Ibrahim) that I find more distinctive and appealing, even if they might be harder to apply respectfully to the more serious subject matter of this one.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:12 am

this is still on "Short Wait" in my queue but I'm still in. just waiting....

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
this is still on "Short Wait" in my queue but I'm still in. just waiting....

or if I can get my friend's Netflix password I might be able to stream it this weekend.

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:13 pm

Oxnard, do you think you'll get to this soon? If not, do you mind if somebody starts the next round?

Slentert, do you want to do next round?

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:13 pm

yeah, I'm watching it tonight. sorry it has taken so gosh darn long but I know you are all a forgiving bunch (I hope).

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I know you are all a forgiving bunch (I hope).

Off with his head!

j/k

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Rock wrote:

I would be glad to.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:14 pm
Profile WWW

I had to do a bit of research at the end there, especially about Dawood Ibrahim, that the package of broken bangles was to guilt him into helping the Muslims take revenge i.e. the "sister's chastity". plus I guess since Dawood is connected to the Pakistani intelligence agency that ties into the belief that they had a hand in the bombings. so a lot of my viewing experience was just me taking in all the history - and maybe not completely, especially if some of the conjectures the movie makes are somewhat controversial. but I still appreciated its portray of violence as cyclical and stemming from loss and the very human desire for retribution (and not sadism or whatever reasons people think Muslims commit terror).

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:32 pm

Rock wrote:

I would nominate these films if you don't mind.

- Angel's Egg (Oshii, 1985)

I have this one on dvd but you can find it on youtube also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIhKqaNp4Dc
- Schizopolis (Soderbergh, 1996)
I believe there is a Criterion release floating around somewhere, but it is also on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=przOe5UBHn8
- Specter of the Rose (Hecht, 1946)
Yes, this one is also on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8PoUnNvRPA

Please tell me which one you guys would like to watch. I hope these are not too canon.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:59 pm
Profile WWW

welllll, if I had to be decisive it would be the Soderbergh since it is the easiest for me to get a hold of not-on-Youtube.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
welllll, if I had to be decisive it would be the Soderbergh since it is the easiest for me to get a hold of not-on-Youtube.

Same here.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]