It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Obituaries 
Post Re: Obituaries

Yeah, I can't see any linked tweets either on mobile. It's not the worst thing in the world.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:15 am

The death of Anthony Bourdain has been surprisingly upsetting to me. It's been weighing on my mind all day, and I'm generally pretty good at putting celebrity deaths to the side to be thought of later, even when I am big fans of the celebrity in question.

I'm incredibly sad about this, even if I'm not entirely sure exactly why.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:54 am

crumbsroom wrote:
The death of Anthony Bourdain has been surprisingly upsetting to me. It's been weighing on my mind all day, and I'm generally pretty good at putting celebrity deaths to the side to be thought of later, even when I am big fans of the celebrity in question.

I'm incredibly sad about this, even if I'm not entirely sure exactly why.
After Kate Spade's suicide, a lot of people made the somewhat glib observation that securing all the material trappings that life has to offer isn't a panacea for crippling depression, that although she had the right address, the right clothes and the big bank account, it didn't fix her brain. As much as this may be a valid reminder, I think anyone who's spent almost any time thinking about depression and what it really is knows this already.

I think Bourdain's death seems more unsettling because it suggests that even the experiential joys of life--meeting new people, tasting new foods, sharing stories, exploring cultures, all those things we saw Bourdain engaging in on camera--even those things won't stave off that darkness without the right treatment. Bourdain didn't just seem rich in the conventional material sense but rich in what we all believe to be the positive, transformational experiences that life has to offer. And it's still not enough if your brain isn't wired right.

It's the ultimate reminder that this is a disease of the brain, random and cruel, indifferent to a person's experience and worth.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Perfectly put, BL.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Yeah, the Bourdain death has rattled me as well. On the surface, he seemed to have it all: enough money, a cool gig, being able to experience new things.

But I guess if you have depression, it will never go away unless it's treated with drugs, with therapy, with perspective.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:55 am

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:43 am

BL wrote:
I think Bourdain's death seems more unsettling because it suggests that even the experiential joys of life--meeting new people, tasting new foods, sharing stories, exploring cultures, all those things we saw Bourdain engaging in on camera--even those things won't stave off that darkness without the right treatment. Bourdain didn't just seem rich in the conventional material sense but rich in what we all believe to be the positive, transformational experiences that life has to offer. And it's still not enough if your brain isn't wired right.

Yeah, that's about right.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:44 am

Matt "Guitar" Murphy, perhaps most well known for being the guitarist in the Blues Brothers Band, has died at the age of 88.

Murphy performed in the studio and on stage with numerous blues legends throughout his career, including Ike Turner, Muddy Waters, Etta James, and Chuck Berry. He had joined his first band in 1948 at the age of 19.

Murphy appeared in The Blues Brothers as their former guitarist who had opened a soul food restaurant with his wife, played by Aretha Franklin. He also appeared in the sequel.

Although he suffered a stroke in 2002 Murphy eventually returned to performing. He appeared at Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival at Madison Square Garden in 2013.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:52 pm

R.I.P. Pantera drummer Vinnie Paul

:(

Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:09 pm

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/richard-harrison-known-as-the-old-man-on-pawn-stars-dies-at-77/ar-AAz936X?ocid=ientp

"The Old Man" from Pawn Stars has passed at 77.

I love the show... :(

Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:37 am

Science fiction author Harlan Ellison.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:05 am

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:52 pm
Profile WWW

bummer. he worked on a lot of movies I love and I didn't even know who he was until today. can't take those guys for granted! RIP

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:09 pm

Damn, Müller was one of my favorite living cinematographers. He shot Dead Man. He had a profound but subtle eye.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:45 am

Shoah director Claude Lanzmann, 92

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:29 pm

R.I.P. If any of you haven't seen Shoah yet, add it to your queues.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:00 am

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:40 am
Profile WWW

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:47 am
Profile WWW

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:32 am
Profile WWW

Captain Oats wrote:
Aw, I loved Rashomon... rest in peace, Hashimoto :(

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:46 pm

Damn man, RIP

The Confession |Gavras, 1970| +
Missing |Gavras, 1982| +
The Revenant |Inarritu, 2015| +
The Hateful Eight |Tarantino, 2015| +

+ Recommended

Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:34 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-25/sergio-marchionne-ceo-who-steered-fiat-chrysler-dead-at-66

The man did bring Chrysler back from the dead.

RIP

Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:27 pm

Actress Charlotte Rae has died at the age of 92.

Born in Milwaukee, WI, Rae started out in radio and theater. She attended Northwestern University although she did not graduate. While at the university she met several then-unknown stars such as Cloris Leachman, Charlton Heston, Paul Lynde and Claude Akins. Rae moved to New York City in 1948 where she performed in theater and nightclubs.

Rae appeared in various stage productions and musicals such as The Threepenny Opera, Li'l Abner, and Pickwick. In 1955 she released a solo album which featured songs by Vernon Duke, Cole Porter, Rodgers & Hart, and Marc Blitzstein. Rae received two Tony Award nominations during her Broadway career. The first for Best Featured Actress in a Musical in Pickwick and the second for Best Actress in a Play for Morning, Noon and Night.

In 1954 Rae began a career on television. Over thirty years should would appear on many shows including Car 54, Where Are You?, The Defenders, The Love Boat, The Partridge Family, Love American Style, McMillan & Wife, Barney Miller, 227, Murder She Wrote, St. Elsewhere, All in the Family, Sesame Street and Good Times.

In 1978 Rae appeared as housekeeper Edna Garrett on Diff'rent Strokes. Her character proved to be so popular that she was spun off with her own series, The Facts of Life, in 1979 as a housemother in a prestigious private school. Rae appeared on the first seven seasons of the nine-season show.

Rae appeared in several films throughout her career: Bananas, Rabbit Test, Hair, You Don't Mess With the Zohan, and several others. Her final role was in 2015's Ricki and the Flash. She provided voiceover work for the first Red Dead Redemption video game. In addition to her Tony Award nominations, Rae was also nominated for two Primetime Emmy Awards.

Rae married composer John Strauss in 1951 but they divorced in 1976. They had two sons together. In 2017 Rae was diagnosed with bone cancer.

Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:53 am

Captain Oats wrote:

update :(

https://apnews.com/d88635085b394e83ae612744e84b9087

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 pm

Kidder, aw man... :(

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:45 pm

The Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, has died at the age of 76 due to pancreatic cancer.

I was first introduced to her amazing voice at the age of 8 when I saw her in The Blues Brothers. I've been a fan since.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:11 pm

Here in SE Michigan (being born & raised here), she was an icon. A worldwide icon, of course, but she was Detroit. Helping to make the Detroit metro area the greatest modern musical center in the world. Proven just by the names Aretha, Stevie, Madonna, Eminem, Iggy, Terrible Ted, Alice and the list goes on and on.

:(

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:02 am

"Nobody embodies more fully the connection between the African-American spiritual, the blues, R. & B., rock and roll - the way that hardship and sorrow were transformed into something full of beauty and vitality and hope. American history wells up when Aretha sings. That's why, when she sits down at a piano and sings "A Natural Woman", she can move me to tears ... because it captures the fullness of the American experience, the view from the bottom as well as the top, the good and the bad, and the possibility of synthesis, reconciliation, transcendence." -- Barack Hussein Obama

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3