It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 28  Next
 Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2018 
Post Re: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2018

I watched the first one out of pure curiosity and didn't really vibe with it. And since it's considered the "best" one, I've skipped all subsequent entries. I've never heard anything to suggest I'm missing much.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:12 am

Death Proof wrote:

I love that movie.

That was Matthew Broderick's first film, even pre-dating WarGames.

Musta watched it a dozen times when I was young.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:22 am

Takoma1 wrote:

At that point, the movie was SO boated that I just couldn't care anymore. If his subplot had been the only extra baggage I might have been bothered by it. Instead, his interludes in the plot were some of the ones I enjoyed the most.

It's an interestin' point.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:23 am

Takoma1 wrote:
I watched the first one out of pure curiosity and didn't really vibe with it. And since it's considered the "best" one, I've skipped all subsequent entries. I've never heard anything to suggest I'm missing much.

Based on this, I would definitely recommend against watching the other two. They're worthless, even from the perspective of shock value.

That said, just to dig deeper and to discuss it, why do you think you didn't "vibe" with the first one? Were you ok with the subject matter? Did you like the performances? Was it the pacing?

Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:53 am

Thief wrote:

Based on this, I would definitely recommend against watching the other two. They're worthless, even from the perspective of shock value.

That said, just to dig deeper and to discuss it, why do you think you didn't "vibe" with the first one? Were you ok with the subject matter? Did you like the performances? Was it the pacing?

For me it was too violent, despite its campy tone. The idea of people having all their teeth pulled out and their ankle tendons severed, for example, was really disturbing to me. I left the room for the surgery sequence, so I can't speak to how graphic that part was, but overall I needed it to be more over-the-top to work for me. The actors playing the victims were too good, but then the mad doctor almost exists in another universe (one in which I could probably enjoy the movie).

The idea of the centipede is so profoundly stupid (because obviously all of the "parts" will die pretty quickly from either malnutrition or blood infections), that it needed a stupider tone to work for me.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:04 am

Takoma1 wrote:
For me it was too violent, despite its campy tone. The idea of people having all their teeth pulled out and their ankle tendons severed, for example, was really disturbing to me. I left the room for the surgery sequence, so I can't speak to how graphic that part was, but overall I needed it to be more over-the-top to work for me. The actors playing the victims were too good, but then the mad doctor almost exists in another universe (one in which I could probably enjoy the movie).

The idea of the centipede is so profoundly stupid (because obviously all of the "parts" will die pretty quickly from either malnutrition or blood infections), that it needed a stupider tone to work for me.

:D The teeth and tendons part was indeed cringy :D But despite that, I really don't think the film went as far as it could, or as far as most people expected it to, in terms of gore or gross-out horror and I liked that. It was as subtle as a film with such a premise could've been. I also really liked Dieter Laser's performance as the doctor.

I suppose that "stupider tone" you mention is what Six might've been aiming for in the third one, but it just didn't work.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:47 am

Thief wrote:
It was as subtle as a film with such a premise could've been. I also really liked Dieter Laser's performance as the doctor.

But this is not a premise made for subtlety.

If anything, having recently watched Frankenhooker I especially feel this way. You cannot pair an outlandish concept with a less-than-outlandish execution. And there was no emotional arc to the film, so it was just watching unpleasant things happen.

Laser's performance is delightful, but the rest of the movie doesn't match it.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:11 pm

Not necessarily the note I wanted to end the month with, but well...

A film with a season in the title

Spring Breakers (2012)

Quote:
"It was way more than just having a good time. We see things different now. More colors, more love, more understanding ... I know we have to go back to school, but we'll always remember this trip. Something so amazing, magical. Something so beautiful. Feels as if the world is perfect. Like it's never gonna end."

In American culture, spring break is seen as a period of extensive partying, beach loitering, and loud music. Students and teenagers anticipate it to take a break from their classes, and have a week of stress-free fun, while others see it as an opportunity of bonding, of sharing with friends and having new experiences. That is the case of one the lead characters in Harmony Korine's crime film.

Spring Breakers follows a group of four friends (Selena Gomez, Ashley Benson, Vanessa Hudgens, and Rachel Korine) as they decide to enjoy spring break together. With no money in their pockets, three of the girls decide to steal a restaurant using a hammer and squirt guns in order to fund their escapade. But when their partying takes a turn for the worse, they end up caught in more crime activities with Alien (James Franco), a local rapper and gangster.

For most of its first half, the film touts the moral struggles of Faith (Gomez) as the main point of the film. Faith is torn between her religious upbringing and the party-going antics of her friends. She seems to be the central character of the story as we see her struggle with her desire to have fun and feeling a bit like an outcast with her friends and other partygoers.

So when the film decides to, inexplicably, get rid of her character at the half-point of the film, it loses the emotional resonance it might've had. This is worsened by the fact that none of the other three girls really stand out in the story, with all of them being more or less interchangeable. Franco does his best to keep things together with a surprisingly quirky and assured performance. What his Alien might've lacked in depth, he makes up in charisma, and he fills whatever scenes he's in.

Korine's direction is solid, and interesting at points, as he intersects images of beach parties and fun, with more somber images of the drug use and debauchery of spring break. But the film strong points aren't enough to avoid the film from feeling disjointed and muddled. As the film reaches its last act, everything in it feels empty and meaningless. But I'm sure that's how spring break really feels to some.

Grade: C+

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
But this is not a premise made for subtlety.

If anything, having recently watched Frankenhooker I especially feel this way. You cannot pair an outlandish concept with a less-than-outlandish execution. And there was no emotional arc to the film, so it was just watching unpleasant things happen.

Laser's performance is delightful, but the rest of the movie doesn't match it.

I understand your point, and I think it's "logical", but I don't know if I agree. I'm pretty sure there have to be examples of "outlandish concepts" executed in a subtle way.

Truth of the matter is that I thought the first Centipede film was quite good, but sometimes I wonder if it wasn't necessarily that it was "good", but rather that I was surprised that it wasn't terrible :D

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:59 pm

Well, March has marched away and here's what I ended up with...

A Best Screenplay winner made before 1990: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
An action film: The Man from Nowhere
A horror film in a foreign language: The Host
A B-movie: Miami Connection
A British film or British comedy:
A film over 170 minutes long:
A film with a color in the title: Silver Linings Playbook
An adventure/fantasy film: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
A film from the 1960s: Once Upon a Time in the West
A film that won Best Cinematography award (pre-1990): The Bridge on the River Kwai
An animated film: Ninja Scroll
A film by Akira Kurosawa: Rashomon
A G-rated film:
A film from the IMDb Top 250: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
An exploitation film: The Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence)
A generic romantic comedy: Silver Linings Playbook
A film based on a play:
A film based on a Shakespeare play: Coriolanus
A German language film: Die Welle
A Palm D'Or winner:
A western film: Once Upon a Time in the West
A film recommended by a reliable person: Strangler of the Swamp
A film with a primarily minority cast: Detroit
A film with a season in the title: Spring Breakers
A film about food:

I really wanted to sneak an additional film but I'm currently moving and I really didn't have time these last two days to see anything. Still, I'm proud I surpassed my goal of 15 films, even if it was just by one.

My favorites of the month were Once Upon a Time in the West and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The worst was The Human Centipede 3.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:11 pm

Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:54 am

Best I've seen in March was The Conversation and Life Itself. The worst? Wedding Unplanned.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Best I've seen in March was The Conversation and Life Itself. The worst? Wedding Unplanned.

How would you rank The Conversation within Coppola's filmography?

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:14 pm

Thief wrote:

It's my favorite film of his.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:21 pm

For those playing or curious, I just posted new categories on the OP. As usual, suggestions and recommendations are more than welcome.

EDIT: In case anyone's wondering, if you see a category repeated from past months, is because I didn't fill it in.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:48 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I haven't seen a lot of his films, but I wouldn't put it above the first Godfather films. Maybe tied with Apocalypse.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:53 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Ok, gotta watch this now.
I list my favorite as a tie between Rumble Fish and Apocalypse Now, but I haven't seen The Conversation and didn't realize it might be held in that level of regard.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:41 am

An Italian language film: Bread and Tulips
A Best Picture winner from before 1970: It Happened One Night, Rebecca, Casablanca, The Lost Weekend, Gentleman's Agreement
A film about homosexuality or alternate lifestyles: Parting Glances, Get Real, or 4th Man Out
A film starring someone you dislike: Marnie makes for a delightful hate-watch. Come for Sean Connery talking about taming women like animals! Stay for the poorly staged violence and cheap psychology!
A sequel: Paddington 2, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Predators
A film about filmmaking: Shadow of the Vampire, 8 1/2, State & Main, Overnight, Side by Side, American Movie
A silent film: The Man Who Laughs
A film based on a play: Moonlight, Into the Woods, Fences
A film with no CGI or special effects: Festen (The Celebration)
A G-rated film: A Bug's Life, Singin' in the Rain, The Straight Story
A film in a country you've never visited: The Handmaiden
A film featured in the Criterion Collection: Seven Samurai, Shock Corridor, Picnic at Hanging Rock
An experimental film: La Jetee
A docu-drama: Dog Day Afternoon, Boys Don't Cry
A fantasy film: The Exterminating Angel, Wings of Desire
A film with a character's name as the title: Moana, Maleficent, Coraline
An Iranian film: Offside
A film you remember from your childhood: The Electric Grandmother, Never Cry Wolf
A coming-of-age story: Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
A film under 90 minutes long: Autopsy of Jane Doe, Hush, Brief Encounter
A film by Ingmar Bergman: Seventh Seal, The Magician
A film with a female protagonist: Born in Flames, Haywire
A film famous for its twist/ending: Sleepaway Camp, The Other, The Visit
A film with less than five major characters: Tape, Locke, Buried
A Bollywood film: Lagaan

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:45 am

Wooley wrote:
Ok, gotta watch this now.
I list my favorite as a tie between Rumble Fish and Apocalypse Now, but I haven't seen The Conversation and didn't realize it might be held in that level of regard.

I say that it's my favorite because I love thinking about it, while his other movies I more appreciate but don't really reflect on them much once they're over. I also am completely in love with the editing and the way that flashbacks and thoughts are overlapped and integrated.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:46 am

A film about homosexuality or alternate lifestyles: Hedwig And The Angry Inch

A film about filmmaking: Shadow Of The Vampire

A film based on a play: Rosencrantz And Gildenstern Are Dead

A G-rated film: The Black Stallion

A fantasy film: Dragonslayer

A film with a character's name as the title: Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins

A film you remember from your childhood: Battle Beyond The Stars

A film with a female protagonist: Waiting To Exhale

A film with less than five major characters: My Dinner With Andre

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:52 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I say that it's my favorite because I love thinking about it, while his other movies I more appreciate but don't really reflect on them much once they're over. I also am completely in love with the editing and the way that flashbacks and thoughts are overlapped and integrated.

I look forward to it.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:53 am

As usual, seen the ones in red, comments below...

Takoma1 wrote:
An Italian language film: Bread and Tulips
A Best Picture winner from before 1970: It Happened One Night, Rebecca, Casablanca, The Lost Weekend, Gentleman's Agreement
A film about homosexuality or alternate lifestyles: Parting Glances, Get Real, or 4th Man Out
A film starring someone you dislike: Marnie makes for a delightful hate-watch. Come for Sean Connery talking about taming women like animals! Stay for the poorly staged violence and cheap psychology!
A sequel: Paddington 2, 10 Cloverfield Lane, Predators
A film about filmmaking: Shadow of the Vampire, 8 1/2, State & Main, Overnight, Side by Side, American Movie
A silent film: The Man Who Laughs
A film based on a play: Moonlight, Into the Woods, Fences
A film with no CGI or special effects: Festen (The Celebration)
A G-rated film: A Bug's Life, Singin' in the Rain, The Straight Story
A film in a country you've never visited: The Handmaiden
A film featured in the Criterion Collection: Seven Samurai, Shock Corridor, Picnic at Hanging Rock
An experimental film: La Jetee
A docu-drama: Dog Day Afternoon, Boys Don't Cry
A fantasy film: The Exterminating Angel, Wings of Desire
A film with a character's name as the title: Moana, Maleficent, Coraline
An Iranian film: Offside
A film you remember from your childhood: The Electric Grandmother, Never Cry Wolf
A coming-of-age story: Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
A film under 90 minutes long: Autopsy of Jane Doe, Hush, Brief Encounter
A film by Ingmar Bergman: Seventh Seal, The Magician
A film with a female protagonist: Born in Flames, Haywire
A film famous for its twist/ending: Sleepaway Camp, The Other, The Visit
A film with less than five major characters: Tape, Locke, Buried
A Bollywood film: Lagaan

Obviously, the one about "someone you dislike" will be subjective to each, but I'm still wondering how to tackle it. My main choices are Woody Allen, or maybe James Woods, but I'm also thinking I can go by someone I disliked for his/her acting.

Thanks for reminding me about Shadow of the Vampire. Been meaning to watch that one for a while. Also, I've seen State & Main, but it was so looong ago that I barely remember anything about it. A rewatch wouldn't be a bad idea.

Didn't know The Straight Story was G-rated, but I've been wanting to see it for a long time. Will try to check that one out.

My knowledge of Bollywood is pretty much non-existent, so anything you or anyone else consider accessible to dive in would be great. I think Lagaan came up on a previous month, and I've also seen it in the IMDB Top 250.

I also see several you've praised and recommended in the past months (Shock Corridor, Brief Encounter, Wings of Desire). I'm taking notes and will definitely try to check them eventually.

As usual, thanks Tak!

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:09 am

Wooley wrote:

A film about filmmaking: Shadow Of The Vampire

A G-rated film: The Black Stallion

A fantasy film: Dragonslayer

A film with a character's name as the title: Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins

A film you remember from your childhood: Battle Beyond The Stars

A film with a female protagonist: Waiting To Exhale

A film with less than five major characters: My Dinner With Andre

Great to see Shadow of the Vampire mentioned again. Will definitely put it high on my list. Don't know much about most of the others, but will definitely consider them. Thanks, Woo!

Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:11 am

Thief wrote:

Since you asked:

Great:
The Godfather
The Conversation (maybe the third top 25 film I've seen in the last few months)

Good:
Tucker: The Man and His Dream
Bram Stoker's Dracula

OK:
Peggy Sue Got Married
The Rainmaker

Rewatch City:
Godfather Part 2

Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:21 am

My suggestions to you (my list is coming!):

An Italian language film: Life is Beautiful, Cinema Paradiso, La Dolce Vita, The Great Beauty, I Am Love
A Best Picture winner from before 1970: Grand Hotel, It Happened One Night, All About Eve, On the Waterfront, The Greatest Show on Earth
A film about homosexuality or alternate lifestyles: Adventures of Priscilla, Pariah, Blue is the Warmest Color, Tangerine
A film starring someone you dislike: Annie Hall (I know you don't like the Wood-man and I suspect that might be among his best)
A sequel: Evil Dead 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Dawn of the Dead, The Road Warrior, Spider-Man 2 (Tobey Maguire)
A film about filmmaking: Day for Night (Criterion?), The Artist, Bowfinger, The Disaster Artist
A silent film: Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Metropolis, Battleship Potemkin, Thief of Bagdad (1924), Destiny
A film based on a play: Laura, Fences, August: Osage County, Driving Miss Daisy, Chicago, Frost/Nixon
A G-rated film: Most classic Disney films/animations would work; Sound of Music, Babe, Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory
A film featured in the Criterion Collection: Do the Right Thing, Rushmore, Silence of the Lambs, Night of the Living Dead (1968)
An experimental film: The Tribe, Boyhood, Dawson City: Frozen Time, perhaps something from Dogme 95?
A film with a character's name as the title: Moana, Billy Elliot, John Carter, Michael Clayton, Erin Brokovich, Jackie Brown
An Iranian film: Under the Shadows, A Separation, The Salesman
A coming-of-age story: Boyhood, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Almost Famous, City of God
A film under 90 minutes long: Frankenstein, Chronicle, Run Lola Run, High Noon, What We Do in the Shadows, Crank
A film by Ingmar Bergman: Seventh Seal, Smiles of a Summer Night, Scenes from a Marriage, Wild Strawberries
A film with a female protagonist: Room, Arrival, Atomic Blonde
A film famous for its twist/ending: Fight Club, The Others, Oldboy, Laura,
A film with less than five major characters: The Retreat (3), The Retrieval (3/4 depending on whether you think Bill Oberst, Jr.'s character was major), Mommy (2015 film; 3), Ex-Machina (3)
A Bollywood film: Singham is good if you like action; Dilwale is if you're more into romance.

EDIT: Also Takoma, since you're not a fan of Sean Connery, might I recommend The Avengers? It has enough moments that probably qualify as a cult viewing. Plus, he chews up the scenery pretty well.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:06 am

Thief wrote:
Obviously, the one about "someone you dislike" will be subjective to each, but I'm still wondering how to tackle it. My main choices are Woody Allen, or maybe James Woods, but I'm also thinking I can go by someone I disliked for his/her acting.

For me, I just don't want to watch things with known child molestors/rapists and so I simply recommended you something starring a domestic abuser. I'll be tackling this category mainly by picking an actor I just don't like for non-rapey reasons. I don't compartmentalize well, so looking at an actor I know has abused someone just makes me angry and I can't focus on the movie itself.

Quote:
My knowledge of Bollywood is pretty much non-existent, so anything you or anyone else consider accessible to dive in would be great. I think Lagaan came up on a previous month, and I've also seen it in the IMDB Top 250.

Lagaan is a really good one because the story is very accessible, having many elements of the "come from behind" sports story. A band of villagers must come together and form a cricket team to defeat the British.

I'd can also recommend Makkhi, about a murdered man who returns as a housefly to protect his fiance.

There's a movie I mostly enjoyed called Kidnap (which used to be on Netflix Instant). I liked about 90% of it, though there is one scene where (mild spoilers)
the kidnapped woman tries to escape and to punish her the kidnapper (who is the protagonist of the movie) holds her down and tells her he's going to rape her before releasing her at the last moment and warning her that there are "things worse than death".
The movie never really apologizes for the way that she is treated in the first half of the movie, justifying it by the fact that she is spoiled. But this one element of odious misogyny aside, it's a fun little thriller interspersed with songs because of course it is.

Thief wrote:

I will strongly second these two. We used to have a CD of the Hedwig soundtrack and my sister and I would listen to it in the car all the time.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:51 am

Keep in mind these are what I'm leaning towards. Completed titles in color

An Italian language film: Welcome Mr. President (2013)
A Best Picture winner from before 1970: It Happened One Night
A film about homosexuality or alternate lifestyles: Alright, I'm going to see Moonlight.
A film starring someone you dislike: Dead Man Walking or Mystic River (you can guess who I don't like)
A sequel: Godfather Part 2 or perhaps
A film about filmmaking: Cecil B. Demented or Hugo?
A silent film: Metropolis
A film based on a play: Moonlight was based on a play? (Looks) Yep, it was.
A film with no CGI or special effects: Welcome Mr. President
A G-rated film: Got something Disney in mind now.
A film in a country you've never visited: Pecking Order (New Zealand)
A film featured in the Criterion Collection: It Happened One Night
An experimental film:
A docu-drama:
A fantasy film: Valerian
A film with a character's name as the title: Ferris Bueller's Day Off
An Iranian film: The Salesman
A film you remember from your childhood: Ferris Bueller's Day Off
A coming-of-age story: You know what qualifies? Moonlight.
A film under 90 minutes long: Disney.
A film by Ingmar Bergman: You ask for miracles, Theo? I give you the FBI
A film with a female protagonist:
A film famous for its twist/ending: Secret Window? (I've seen most of the twists/shocking ending ones)
A film with less than five major characters: Good Day for a Hanging
A Bollywood film: Om Shanti Om

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:30 am

Thief wrote:

Great to see Shadow of the Vampire mentioned again. Will definitely put it high on my list. Don't know much about most of the others, but will definitely consider them. Thanks, Woo!

Just suggestions. I don't think all of these are great movies, but I think they all have something interesting to offer, which is how I chose them. And several of them are, I think, tough calls as to whether they are good movies or not, but make that exercise of figuring out what is and isn't a good movie an exercise where you have to stretch those muscles.
I can be more specific if you like but for the moment I'll leave it at that.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:57 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I will strongly second these two. We used to have a CD of the Hedwig soundtrack and my sister and I would listen to it in the car all the time.

Cheers.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Seen the ones in red...

Apex Predator wrote:
My suggestions to you (my list is coming!):

An Italian language film: Life is Beautiful, Cinema Paradiso, La Dolce Vita, The Great Beauty, I Am Love
A Best Picture winner from before 1970: Grand Hotel, It Happened One Night, All About Eve, On the Waterfront, The Greatest Show on Earth
A film about homosexuality or alternate lifestyles: Adventures of Priscilla, Pariah, Blue is the Warmest Color, Tangerine
A film starring someone you dislike: Annie Hall (I know you don't like the Wood-man and I suspect that might be among his best)
A sequel: Evil Dead 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Dawn of the Dead, The Road Warrior, Spider-Man 2 (Tobey Maguire)
A film about filmmaking: Day for Night (Criterion?), The Artist, Bowfinger, The Disaster Artist
A silent film: Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Metropolis, Battleship Potemkin, Thief of Bagdad (1924), Destiny
A film based on a play: Laura, Fences, August: Osage County, Driving Miss Daisy, Chicago, Frost/Nixon
A G-rated film: Most classic Disney films/animations would work; Sound of Music, Babe, Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory
A film featured in the Criterion Collection: Do the Right Thing, Rushmore, Silence of the Lambs, Night of the Living Dead (1968)
An experimental film: The Tribe, Boyhood, Dawson City: Frozen Time, perhaps something from Dogme 95?
A film with a character's name as the title: Moana, Billy Elliot, John Carter, Michael Clayton, Erin Brokovich, Jackie Brown
An Iranian film: Under the Shadows, A Separation, The Salesman
A coming-of-age story: Boyhood, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Almost Famous, City of God
A film under 90 minutes long: Frankenstein, Chronicle, Run Lola Run, High Noon, What We Do in the Shadows, Crank
A film by Ingmar Bergman: Seventh Seal, Smiles of a Summer Night, Scenes from a Marriage, Wild Strawberries
A film with a female protagonist: Room, Arrival, Atomic Blonde
A film famous for its twist/ending: Fight Club, The Others, Oldboy, Laura,
A film with less than five major characters: The Retreat (3), The Retrieval (3/4 depending on whether you think Bill Oberst, Jr.'s character was major), Mommy (2015 film; 3), Ex-Machina (3)
A Bollywood film: Singham is good if you like action; Dilwale is if you're more into romance.

EDIT: Also Takoma, since you're not a fan of Sean Connery, might I recommend The Avengers? It has enough moments that probably qualify as a cult viewing. Plus, he chews up the scenery pretty well.

I loooove Cinema Paradiso, but I haven't seen it in so long that I'm strongly considering a rewatch. That is such a beautiful film that a rewatch is obligatory.

About Woody, I've only seen three of his films (Bananas, Annie Hall, and Blue Jasmine) and I thought BJ was great, Bananas was uneven but fun, but [hot take]pretty much disliked Annie Hall[/hot take]. Bottom line is I've never felt drawn to his films. Not sure if it's an unconscious reaction to all the child molesting stuff, but for the most part, they don't seem to be my cup of tea. I also feel that the reaction to all his scandals has been so baffling in how "oh well, things happen" it has been that perhaps unconsciously I steer clear of his films. Not sure if I'm willing to go with him yet.

I've been meaning to watch A Separation for a long time. Maybe now is the time.

Finally, I think this is the first time since 1998 that I've seen someone, ANYONE, recommend The Avengers :P :D

Thanks, AP!

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:01 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
For me, I just don't want to watch things with known child molestors/rapists and so I simply recommended you something starring a domestic abuser. I'll be tackling this category mainly by picking an actor I just don't like for non-rapey reasons. I don't compartmentalize well, so looking at an actor I know has abused someone just makes me angry and I can't focus on the movie itself.

I understand this completely, hence my comments to AP in the above post. Just out of curiosity, have you seen anything from him? and what has been your reaction?

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:04 pm

Some thoughts on your choices...

Apex Predator wrote:
Keep in mind these are what I'm leaning towards. Completed titles in color

A film about homosexuality or alternate lifestyles: Alright, I'm going to see Moonlight.
A film starring someone you dislike: Dead Man Walking or Mystic River (you can guess who I don't like)
A film about filmmaking: Cecil B. Demented or Hugo?
A film based on a play: Moonlight was based on a play? (Looks) Yep, it was.
A film in a country you've never visited: Pretty easy because I've never been outside the US. But will find one from Asia/Africa.
An experimental film: Could use some suggestions here.
A film by Ingmar Bergman: This appears to be this month's Kurosawa (No FilmStruck)
A film with a female protagonist: I'm overdue for Room

I might pick up on that Moonlight choice. I've also been meaning to see it, and so does my wife, so it might be an option.

For what it's worth, both Dead Man Walking and Mystic River are pretty good.

If you haven't seen Hugo, I would vouch for that one. Love that film, and it has become my favorite Scorsese.

I'm with you on the "never been outside the US" front, so I have plenty of choices.

What I can recommend as far as "experimental" films go, I'll echo Takoma's recommendation of La Jetee. It's a pretty unique and interesting film, plus if you've seen 12 Monkeys, it's pretty cool to see where they got the inspiration. It's also pretty short which can also help sneak it in. I would also recommend Belladonna of Sadness which I saw on February. Also a unique film experience regardless of what you think of the film per se.

As for Bergman, I've only seen one (Seventh Seal) so I have a lot of options there. See what I can find.

Room is very, very good!

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Thief wrote:
Finally, I think this is the first time since 1998 that I've seen someone, ANYONE, recommend The Avengers :P :D

True story. I saw this when I was in Fort Sill on DVD. Had to see it again the next day because I couldn't believe what I saw. But yeah, I did see what I saw.

The Avengers isn't a great or even a good film. But it's a fun film with some interesting set pieces, a scenery chewing Sean Connery, a stiff upper lip Ralph Fiennes, and two Umas for the price of one (the chemistry issues are true, unfortunately, but they try hard with their back and forth repartee).

The story behind it was interesting too. Due to disastrous test screenings, they had to revamp their script (upping Connery's role in the process) and do various reshoots.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:23 am

The Avengers is a godawful movie, but it does feature a scene in which Sean Connery conducts a Spectre-style evil board meeting in which everyone is dressed as teddy bears, so it's not without its virtues.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:30 am

I'm finishing an arduous process of moving, which means most of my afternoons and nights are dedicated to cleaning, painting, assembling furniture, and moving stuff. I'll try to get this going in a couple of days :(

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:37 am

Add me to the list of Hedwig fans. Good movie/great songs.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:56 am

Thief wrote:
I understand this completely, hence my comments to AP in the above post. Just out of curiosity, have you seen anything from him? and what has been your reaction?

I've generally liked what I've seen of Woody Allen's films, though I haven't seen many.

Let's see:

I saw Bananas on TV when I was like 10 and have zero memory of it.

I really liked Annie Hall, though that was mostly due to Diane Keaton, whom I love.

Mighty Aphrodite was another TV viewing, and I remember liking it, though not in any specific sense.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona was okay, though it was one of those movies where the writing of the female characters just felt off to me. I love Penelope Cruz (like, deeply love her) and I thought she was great in it.

I really dug Midnight in Paris.

Both Vicky Cristina Barcelona and Midnight in Paris I somehow managed to watch without knowing they were directed by Allen, which made it easier to enjoy them.

As a writer/director I find him to be . . . fine. To me he's nothing special and I don't understand the people who like him enough to defend his behavior. (I'm fine with people defending his art--that's very different).

Captain Terror wrote:
Add me to the list of Hedwig fans. Good movie/great songs.

The two things I mostly take away from Hedwig are:

1) I will watch any cover of Origin of Love. Especially this one: https://youtu.be/jNQBSBv4dXY?t=2m1s

2) One of my favorite things to say: "You can't put a bra in a dryer. IT WARPS!!!!"

Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 am

Wig In A Box https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=740TB17Dsn0

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:14 am

My favorite is actually maybe "Midnight Radio". Maybe because I can play it on the guitar and actually sing it.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:19 am

I'm very hard to please whenever a movie attempts to recreate a specific music scene or genre, especially if its something that I like/listen to regularly. It rarely sounds authentic to me and I can count on one hand the number of movies that got it right (for me). So it's a minor miracle that Hedwig is not only acceptable to me, but that I actively like the songs. Mitchell's voice would've fit perfectly on 70s radio.
I wonder if any of you have seen it on stage? I haven't.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:05 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I'm very hard to please whenever a movie attempts to recreate a specific music scene or genre, especially if its something that I like/listen to regularly. It rarely sounds authentic to me and I can count on one hand the number of movies that got it right (for me). So it's a minor miracle that Hedwig is not only acceptable to me, but that I actively like the songs. Mitchell's voice would've fit perfectly on 70s radio.

I wish!

Have you watched the behind the scenes stuff about the movie? It started as a stage show and was developed over a long period of time. I think that the songs are a perfect balance between "real" pop/rock and Broadway-style/musical songs.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:30 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Have you watched the behind the scenes stuff about the movie?

Yes! Funny, the only reason I watched the film is because I wanted to see Rabbit Hole and I have this hobby where I watch all of a director's films in order. (current project: Don Coscarelli) So I rented Hedwig knowing nothing about it other than having heard the title when it came out. By the time it was over, I was like "where did this come from??" so I remember spending an hour or so watching all the bonus stuff on the dvd.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:01 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I've generally liked what I've seen of Woody Allen's films, though I haven't seen many.

Watch Manhattan. I really love that one.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Yes! Funny, the only reason I watched the film is because I wanted to see Rabbit Hole and I have this hobby where I watch all of a director's films in order. (current project: Don Coscarelli) So I rented Hedwig knowing nothing about it other than having heard the title when it came out. By the time it was over, I was like "where did this come from??" so I remember spending an hour or so watching all the bonus stuff on the dvd.

How was Rabbit Hole? At the time it was released I just wasn't up for a child-death plotline and so I gave it a pass. I enjoyed Short Bus, but felt like it was kind of unfocused.

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Watch Manhattan. I really love that one.

Allan's on my no-see list currently. And without hyperbole I can say I'm not sure I'll ever intentionally watch one of his movies again. Having a student who has been sexually abused by a family member has only exacerbated the disgust I already felt. Even looking at his face when I went to the IMDb to look at his filmography made me irrationally angry.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:41 am

Takoma1 wrote:
How was Rabbit Hole? At the time it was released I just wasn't up for a child-death plotline and so I gave it a pass.

I don't have memories specific enough to say anything worthwhile about it, other than it was no walk in the park (surprise). I gave it 4 Netflix stars though, which is my code for "really good".

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:58 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Allan's on my no-see list currently. And without hyperbole I can say I'm not sure I'll ever intentionally watch one of his movies again. Having a student who has been sexually abused by a family member has only exacerbated the disgust I already felt. Even looking at his face when I went to the IMDb to look at his filmography made me irrationally angry.

Out of curiosity, could you elaborate on some of his behavior you touched on up above, because I didn't know about any allegations surrounding him until now.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:43 am

Takoma1 wrote:

My favorite is actually maybe "Midnight Radio". Maybe because I can play it on the guitar and actually sing it.

My favorite is also "Midnight Radio" and I had actually copied the url to post here but then I felt that it was too spoilerific as I watched the part of the movie it goes with, so I felt like I had to get a different one.
"Midnight Radio" is actually on several of my playlists and a lot of my friends who've never seen the movie have come to know it from me playing it so much, including on a mix-tape I made for a lady-friend.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

I have always been bummed that Mitchell didn't do more. I mean, specifically, singing and songwriting. I'd have bought albums of stuff like Midnight Radio.
I was gonna fly to New York to see Hedwig with Neil Patrick Harris but then I heard recordings of him doing it and, while he is a competent singer, he was a big enough step down from Mitchell that I just changed my mind and didn't go.

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Out of curiosity, could you elaborate on some of his behavior you touched on up above, because I didn't know about any allegations surrounding him until now.

Dude, the guy had an affair AND married his wife's adopted daughter (who was around 10 when he was with Farrow). They claim the affair began when she hit her 20's, but I call BS. That was a relatively big deal back when it happened, although on hindsight, not as big a deal as it could've, or should've been. Around that time, there were also allegations that he had molested his own adopted daughter with Farrow, but the case was dismissed, not sure why. It's a miracle the man still has a career and the reputation he still has.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:08 am

Thief wrote:
Dude, the guy had an affair AND married his wife's adopted daughter (who was around 10 when he was with Farrow).
Two points of clarification here (not intended to defend or impugn Allen): He never married or cohabitated with Farrow, and nobody actually knows how old Soon-Yi really is. Her age is estimated based on bone scans, and she has an arbitrary birth date on her passport, but nobody actually knows her date of birth.

Thief wrote:
Around that time, there were also allegations that he had molested his own adopted daughter with Farrow, but the case was dismissed, not sure why.
The criminal case wasn't technically dismissed, as it never got as far as court. The state's attorney found that there was probable cause to prosecute Allen but declined to do so when Mia Farrow agreed to drop the charges in order to spare Dylan Farrow the further trauma of testifying in court.

However, a civil suit revolving around child custody of Dylan and two of her brothers found that Allen behaved in a grossly inappropriate manner around Dylan. Allen has often cited a Yale clinical study that determined Dylan had not been molested, but the judge in the civil case found the study less credible than other witness testimony because the Yale team destroyed their notes and were unwilling to testify in open court.

Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 1388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 28  Next