It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 1702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 35  Next
 Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2018 
Post Re: Thief's Monthly Film Challenge 2018

Death Proof wrote:

There's MUCH better Marvel stuff coming up... Ant Man, Dr. Strange, Guardians, and Winter Soldier. If you liked Iron Man 3 you'll love them.

:up:

Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:22 am

Let's not forget Avengers Infinity War. That's easily one of the best of the bunch. Has me pretty darn excited for the next one.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:40 pm

ski petrol wrote:
Let's not forget Avengers Infinity War. That's easily one of the best of the bunch. Has me pretty darn excited for the next one.

Well, that's actually Phase 3. I only didn't mention it because Thief is presently viewing Phase 2.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:11 pm

ski petrol wrote:

I remember Steve Guttenberg from Short Circuit. Number 5 is Alive! Yeah they were pretty silly movies even by SyFy standards.

I actually kinda liked his cocky/goofy schtick in the first couple of Police Academy films, although it has been forever since I saw one of those. But anyway, here he's awful. He's trying to phone in a silly persona, and it just doesn't work. For reference, Ian Ziering mostly "works" in the Sharknado films because in the midst of all the crap, he's playing it mostly straight.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:07 am

Death Proof wrote:
There's MUCH better Marvel stuff coming up... Ant Man, Dr. Strange, Guardians, and Winter Soldier. If you liked Iron Man 3 you'll love them.

Actually, I've seen both Guardians, first one because I didn't even know it was tied with the MCU (I'm not a comic book guy) and second, because my wife liked the first, wanted to see the second. I plan to rewatch both when it's time, but I really liked the first one. The second one, we saw on the laptop a couple of weeks after Hurricane Maria, and I slept through most of it. Wasn't the proper environment to see it, so I'm looking forward to rewatch it too.

Death Proof wrote:
Still wish they could have done a proper Mandarin. They could have easily had someone find the power rings in a crashed Ch'tari ship from the New York invasion in Avengers. Meh.

I thought that twist was interesting, but a bit anti-climatic. I really liked all the "terrorist" aura that surrounded the Mandarin, so I kinda fell for the trick hook, line, and sinker. Still, Guy Pearce as a baddie is awesome too, even if they don't do much with him.

Death Proof wrote:
Oh - that reminds me... check out the Marvel one-shots, which all tie into the movies you've seen so far:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_One-Shots - the one with the Mandarin is especially fun. I believe they're all on Youtube

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:13 am

Mulholland Drive (2001, rewatch)

Hadn't seen this in a good while, but it was as mind-bendingly glorious as I remembered it to be.

Grade: A+

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:28 am

Thief wrote:

I actually kinda liked his cocky/goofy schtick in the first couple of Police Academy films, although it has been forever since I saw one of those. But anyway, here he's awful. He's trying to phone in a silly persona, and it just doesn't work. For reference, Ian Ziering mostly "works" in the Sharknado films because in the midst of all the crap, he's playing it mostly straight.

That was one thing I did like/appreciate about the first Sharknado. I don't think it was just him, though. Tara Reid and the children, heck most everybody except that cameo played it straight. Playing it straight also worked for The Room and Miami Connection, now that I think about it. It allows you to better appreciate the ridiculous situations/dialogue that comes up.

If you play it too hammy, it just makes everything look silly/stupid.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:33 am

Apex Predator wrote:

That was one thing I did like/appreciate about the first Sharknado. I don't think it was just him, though. Tara Reid and the children, heck most everybody except that cameo played it straight. Playing it straight also worked for The Room and Miami Connection, now that I think about it. It allows you to better appreciate the ridiculous situations/dialogue that comes up.

If you play it too hammy, it just makes everything look silly/stupid.

Exactly. And that's the key to films like Airplane! where the directors deliberately chose serious actors that mostly played it straight all the way through.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:10 am

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)

Saw this on TCM On Demand, and I have to say it was pretty good. Most of the cast was good, but kudos to Fredric March, who played both the physicality and the dramatic side of Jekyll/Hyde perfectly. The direction was also great with several clever shots and tricks.

Grade: A-

PD: Is this considered to be the best adaptation of Stevenson's work? I've read the 20's version with Barrymore is also pretty good.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:16 am

Thief wrote:

PD: Is this considered to be the best adaptation of Stevenson's work? I've read the 20's version with Barrymore is also pretty good.

It's a good one, but if you're asking for the version that's most faithful to Stevenson there really isn't one. Problem #1 is that in Stevenson's story, the fact that Jekyll & Hyde are the same person is a big plot twist that isn't revealed until late in the story. Clearly it would be pointless to attempt that approach at this point. Also, the good girl/bad girl angle is something that was introduced in Barrymore's version (if not earlier) and was repeated in most subsequent versions, but that is not in the story either. So if there's a faithful-to-the-book version I haven't seen it.
But if you're asking which is just the better movie, than I'd say March and Barrymore are the two best places to start. There's a hundred versions out there, each with their pros and cons but those two should suffice for the casual viewer. Beyond that I'm partial to the '68 Jack Palance version, but it's far from essential.

EDIT: I don't know what PD stands for, so if that question was directed at someone else I apologize for butting in. :)

Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 am

Captain Terror wrote:
It's a good one, but if you're asking for the version that's most faithful to Stevenson there really isn't one. Problem #1 is that in Stevenson's story, the fact that Jekyll & Hyde are the same person is a big plot twist that isn't revealed until late in the story. Clearly it would be pointless to attempt that approach at this point. Also, the good girl/bad girl angle is something that was introduced in Barrymore's version (if not earlier) and was repeated in most subsequent versions, but that is not in the story either. So if there's a faithful-to-the-book version I haven't seen it.
But if you're asking which is just the better movie, than I'd say March and Barrymore are the two best places to start. There's a hundred versions out there, each with their pros and cons but those two should suffice for the casual viewer. Beyond that I'm partial to the '68 Jack Palance version, but it's far from essential.

EDIT: I don't know what PD stands for, so if that question was directed at someone else I apologize for butting in. :)

Thanks for the info!

Re: PD, it's a dated abbreviation that now I'm not sure if it's used in the US. Means "post data", and it was used in letters to add additional information after the letter was finished :D

Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:31 am

Thief wrote:

Re: PD, it's a dated abbreviation that now I'm not sure if it's used in the US. Means "post data", and it was used in letters to add additional information after the letter was finished :D

In the US it's more common to use PS, standing for "post-script".

Also, while it is not at all faithful to the novel, I have to plug the BBC miniseries Jekyll. It's a lot of fun, and anchored well by an over-the-top (but I say that lovingly) central performance.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 am

I'm not the biggest fan of the '41 Spencer Tracy Jekyll, but it's probably the most famous version. March's is my favorite, and Barrymore's is very good. Udo Kier's is fucking bananas, if you're curious. The Hammer version, Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll is worth checking out as well.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:19 am

Thank you all for the tips!

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Thor: The Dark World (2013)

Well, you know what they say about expectations. I had heard this one was pretty bad, at least compared to the rest of the MCU, but truth is I thought it was pretty solid. The story, as convoluted as it might be, felt a bit tighter and not all over the place, it had a good mixture of humor and action, and Hemsworth and Hiddleston totally own their roles. I think they wasted Eccleston as the villain, but regardless of that, it was a fun ride.

Grade: B+

Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Thief wrote:

Well, you know what they say about expectations. I had heard this one was pretty bad, at least compared to the rest of the MCU, but truth is I thought it was pretty solid. The story, as convoluted as it might be, felt a bit tighter and not all over the place, it had a good mixture of humor and action, and Hemsworth and Hiddleston totally own their roles. I think they wasted Eccleston as the villain, but regardless of that, it was a fun ride.

I really, really liked Thor: The Dark World--it's maybe my favorite of the three Thor films (the first one was good, the third one was good but something about it felt off to me).

I thought that The Dark World made great use of the Loki-Thor love-hate relationship as it moved them smoothly from enemies to allies and back again. I especially like the scene where the imprisoned Loki coolly discusses the
mother's death, but once Thor leaves he drops the mirage and we see that he is devastated.

I'm also a huge fan of Chris O'Dowd, so I enjoyed his small role as Foster's maybe boyfriend.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Thief wrote:

If you liked Dark World this much you're going to soil your pants over Ragnarok. I think it's probably in the top 3 of all the Marvel movies.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Death Proof wrote:

If you liked Dark World this much you're going to soil your pants over Ragnarok. I think it's probably in the top 3 of all the Marvel movies.

I've heard great things about Ragnarok, and after watching Waititi's What We Do in the Shadows, I'm curious to see what he does with this.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:45 pm

This little tidbits fell through somehow...

The Usual Suspects (1995, rewatch)

A favorite of mine since I rented it back in the 90's and IMO, it still holds up pretty well. Performances are mostly solid, but what holds this is Singer's direction and McQuarrie's script. Intriguing and entertaining as hell. If anything, there are some bits of dialogue and acting that feel a bit off or awkward, mostly with Baldwin and Byrne, but nothing that takes the enjoyment out of it. As it is, I love it.

The Karate Kid (2010)

Ehhh, this wasn't bad, bad, as much as it is unnecessary and over-produced. Most of its pieces are fine, but it lacks the heart of the original. The only thing that stands out is Jackie Chan, who really nails the role of Miya... I mean, Mr. Han. Other than that, it feels like what it is, the product of a machine that is trying to bank on whatever nostalgia there is about this franchise. As it is, it's not downright awful, but if you're looking for an effective use of nostalgia, check out the YouTube series Cobra Kai instead.

78/52 (2017)

Interesting and insightful documentary about the design and shooting of the famous "shower scene" from Psycho. Director Alexandre O. Philippe features a bunch of talking heads that go from popular directors like Guillermo Del Toro, Neil Marshall, Leigh Whanell, Eli Roth, and well-known actors like Elijah Wood and Jamie Lee Curtis, to other more "below the line" crew members and film scholars. There are many curious tidbits thrown around, some of them widely known, others not so much, and it's interesting to see how they try to correlate the impact of the scene with other social, technical, and cultural aspects of the time. Not great, but worth a watch.

Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:59 pm

Thief wrote:

Saw this on TCM On Demand, and I have to say it was pretty good. Most of the cast was good, but kudos to Fredric March, who played both the physicality and the dramatic side of Jekyll/Hyde perfectly. The direction was also great with several clever shots and tricks.

So good, but my actual favorite adaptation of the story is the 1920, John Barrymore version. Seriously, it is awesome and Barrymore is the shit. I don't watch a lot of silent movies but this one really struck me.

PD- I see this has already been discussed. Sorry, hungover.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:20 am

Thief wrote:

It's really not as bad as everybody says but they definitely wasted Eccleston, really the whole villain cohort was kinda lame IMO, but it's not like the movie was terrible.
And the stuff with Loki is not only good but is also kind of essential to the MCU going forward.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:26 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I really, really liked Thor: The Dark World--it's maybe my favorite of the three Thor films (the first one was good, the third one was good but something about it felt off to me).

I thought that The Dark World made great use of the Loki-Thor love-hate relationship as it moved them smoothly from enemies to allies and back again. I especially like the scene where the imprisoned Loki coolly discusses the
mother's death, but once Thor leaves he drops the mirage and we see that he is devastated.

I'm also a huge fan of Chris O'Dowd, so I enjoyed his small role as Foster's maybe boyfriend.

Yeah, great moment.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:27 am

Death Proof wrote:

No doubt. That movie gets better every time I watch it.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:28 am

Sunday watches...

Conspiracy (2001, rewatch)

I think my love for this HBO film is no secret here. Ever since I first saw it back in the early 00's, I've been in love with it. For those that haven't seen it, the film chronicles the events of the 1942 Wanssee Conference where a small group of Nazi officials "decided" on the implementation of the "Final Solution". With a cast that includes Kenneth Branagh, Stanley Tucci, and Colin Firth, you expect fireworks and they all deliver great performances. But also stage alums like David Threlfall, have their shining moments. Similar to 12 Angry Men in terms of logistics (set in one room, audience sits at table-level, one individual trying to "convince" others), the film excellently portrays the attitude and mindframe of each, and how Branagh's Heydrich adjusts his manipulation strategies to each. Really, it's a showcase of masterful acting and a must-see, not only for those interested in the subject, but by anyone that likes good films.

Grade: A+

Ghostbusters (2016)

Caught this at night by chance on FX, and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a lot. Director and co-writer Paul Feig does a fine job, but what sells it is the excellent chemistry between the cast (most of them SNL alums). The other notable high point was Chris Hemsworth hilarious performance as the dim-witted receptionist. He literally steals every scene he's in. There is good balance between action/comedy, although I think the ending lacked some "oomph". But nevertheless, I laughed and I had fun, so I think it succeeded.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:43 pm

A question re: The Dark World,

Is this the first time that the "Infinity Stones" are mentioned properly by name? I'm referring to the mid-credits scene where Thor's friends take the Aether to The Collector. I don't remember if they had been referenced before.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:26 am

Thief wrote:

You're gonna hate what Hemsworth just said about it, then...

:D

Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Latest watches...

Swiss Army Man (2016)

Charmingly odd and quirky film that manages to keep a good balance between its bizarre antics and the emotional baggage of the character(s). Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe play both leads with such earnestness that you can't help but feel drawn to them. I don't think it fully reaches the level it tries to reach, by the end it feels as if something slipped through the filmmakers fingers, but considering the premise, I think they did as best as they could.

Anthropoid (2016)

Fairly accurate retelling of the assassination attempt against Reinhard Heydrich during World War II. The film follows the two main hitmen (Cillian Murphy and Jamie Dornan), members of the Czech Resistance. The film was pretty good despite some issues. I think they could've cut 20 or so minutes, and there are two romantic relationships that feel a bit underdeveloped. Still, most of the performances are solid and the final 30 minutes are intense.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:38 am

Thief wrote:
Swiss Army Man (2016)

Charmingly odd and quirky film that manages to keep a good balance between its bizarre antics and the emotional baggage of the character(s). Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe play both leads with such earnestness that you can't help but feel drawn to them. I don't think it fully reaches the level it tries to reach, by the end it feels as if something slipped through the filmmakers fingers, but considering the premise, I think they did as best as they could.

I really wanted to like this, but I just...didn't. It starts off well enough, but it quickly becomes a one dimensional one trick pony. Which would be okay, if it wasn't for the fact that it eventually expected me to care about it. And that's just not something I was capable of.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:42 am

crumbsroom wrote:

I really wanted to like this, but I just...didn't. It starts off well enough, but it quickly becomes a one dimensional one trick pony. Which would be okay, if it wasn't for the fact that it eventually expected me to care about it. And that's just not something I was capable of.

I didn't care for it either. I have to admit what I saw was original (the director also did the Turn Down for What video), but once its bag of tricks was exhausted, the film just sat there.

Didn't care for the "relationship" between the lead character and his "girlfriend" either.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:43 am

I really like Swiss Army Man. I like the chemistry between the two leads and I thought that Paul Dano played a great character with some definite problems.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:40 am

To be honest, I'm still not sure what to make of most of it, but I won't deny the fact that I all the "Whatthefuckery" they all put on screen kept me in a state of baffled enjoyment.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 am

crumbsroom wrote:

One could almost say that it.....

...runs out of gas.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:35 am

Thief wrote:
A question re: The Dark World,

Is this the first time that the "Infinity Stones" are mentioned properly by name? I'm referring to the mid-credits scene where Thor's friends take the Aether to The Collector. I don't remember if they had been referenced before.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:59 am

I enjoyed Swiss Army Man a lot as well. I'm not sure if it was the filmmakers' intention, but I enjoyed it as a middle finger to the worst aspects of social media. it seemed like the source of Hank's lousy self-image was based on Facebook envy, and in his friendship with Manny, he realized that all the disgusting things that humans do that we try to conceal about ourselves online are things for we don't really need to be ashamed about. It's truly a movie for our times.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:26 am

All of you who were talking about seeing Deathstalker, you tricked me. It was all lies! LIES!

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:27 am

Thief wrote:
All of you who were talking about seeing Deathstalker, you tricked me. It was all lies! LIES!

We said watch Deathstalker 2!! Not 1!! You've made a terrible mistake!! :)

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:09 am

Captain Terror wrote:

But I can't watch Deathstalker 2 without watching Deathstalker. If I did, we'll all be watching sequels with total disregard of continuity. It'll be anarchy!

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:26 am

Thief wrote:

I seem to remember openly saying that it was a terrible, C-level film, just not without it's occasional pleasures.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:42 am

Thief wrote:

But I can't watch Deathstalker 2 without watching Deathstalker. If I did, we'll all be watching sequels with total disregard of continuity. It'll be anarchy!

If he gets up... we'll all get up...

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:43 am

Thief wrote:

Part 2 features a good 30 minutes-worth of Part 1 footage, so in this case we'll allow it. But it's too late for you, I'm afraid. The damage is done.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:55 am

Thief wrote:

Captain Terror wrote:

Yes, exactly. Part 2, not part 1.

I was going to check out part 1, but after I read that there was a scene where
the main character tries to rape a woman but then lets her go when she fights back and he says she's too much trouble
I was like, "meh."

Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:36 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Yes, exactly. Part 2, not part 1.

I was going to check out part 1, but after I read that there was a scene where
the main character tries to rape a woman but then lets her go when she fights back and he says she's too much trouble
I was like, "meh."

He actually rapes or assaults at least three women :roll:

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Actually, the correct answer is to watch Deathstalker 3. :fresh:

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:12 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Actually, the correct answer is to watch Deathstalker 3. :fresh:

Or why not? watch them all!

Image Image Image Image

There should be a Criterion boxset, right?

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:23 am

Thief wrote:
Image Image Image Image
Probably not the best armor to wear while fighting those kinds of monsters.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:25 am

Torgo wrote:
Probably not the best armor to wear while fighting those kinds of monsters.

Say what?

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:42 am

Thief wrote:

Say what?

Great hair on that guy. Looks like he's headed straight to a 38 Special concert after the shoot.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:48 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Great hair on that guy. Looks like he's headed straight to a 38 Special concert after the shoot.

38 Special nuthin. That's a Loverboy fan if I ever saw one.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:58 am

Thief wrote:

Say what?

My mom only had time to bedazzle 3/5 of my crop top.

We've all been there.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:16 am

Death Proof wrote:
That's a Loverboy fan if I ever saw one.

He's got to do it his way. Or no way at all.

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 1702 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 35  Next