Why would you subject us to this?

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:07 am
Post Re: Remarks from the 101st Chairborne: Criticism destroys fu

2/10---Terrible rationalization, waste of time. :down:

Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:59 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Given his writing credits, I'm deducting five points just based on the fact that Gerrold didn't title this "The Trouble With Quibbles."

Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:08 am

Apex Predator wrote:

BL wrote:
Given his writing credits, I'm deducting five points just based on the fact that Gerrold didn't title this "The Trouble With Quibbles."

Kenji wrote:
Why would you subject us to this?

STOP CRITICIZING!!! YOU'RE RUINING THE FUN!!

But how can I get past it? Maybe the article will have tips!

I'm not reading the article.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:11 am

Criticism is fun! I especially love when a bunch of people love something and I can stand in the middle of the crowd and say "no, that's a bad thing and here's why". I admit to being facetious in my criticism, where I'm more critiquing for effect garnered from 300 IQ-ing review sentiments, mining them for a balance of what's right and wrong about a particular production. I feel differently about watching The Last Jedi as opposed to analyzing it critically. I can turn off the valve of my critical functions and go, aight, I overall enjoyed that greatly despite it's massive, glaring issues. But when I see a group of people arguing that The Last Jedi is some flaw free thing and the best Star Wars, that is ripe for sparking a dialog. Maybe I missed something, critique offers the chance of rebuttal and wowowo messy human interaction can lead to valuable information which may have glanced over you in your bout of supreme objectifying subjectivity. I want to drill the truth out of the matter, what works and what does not, with as close to objective reasoning as possible. My suggestion to improve the role of a critic is to popularize dialog, or trialog, criticism, where the critique operates in a round table discussion not unlike the Greek philosophers. A critic should have their views held accountable, and scores should be malleable as a result. Critics and comment sections need to be more intertwined, but I think critics should adapt to dialog as a whole. It should be Siskel and Ebert, their criticism was the top of the game because of exactly this. Why doesn't everyone do this!

Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:17 am

More of a lukewarm take than a hot one.

Just below room temperature.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:17 pm

I do like this bit of the article:

Maybe not that much because most movies these days aren’t much more than dark rides — you get in a little theme-styled vehicle that takes you past one display after another that gives you the illusion of a story. Summer movies aren’t written for stories, they’re written for moments. First we’ll have the spaceship crash, then we’ll have the robot dinosaur attack the city, then we’ll have the enraged zombies charge the UN building, then … you get the idea. And while any one of these set pieces, these big-budget effects sequences, might have significant emotional impact — mostly they don’t. Because there’s no story — just a lot of connective tissue to get from one gag to the next. (“Gag” is an industry term for a stunt or a big moment.)

Jar Jar Abrams has trained a whole stable of writers to write big moments — without a lot of real story, no emotional development, no moral dilemma, no transformation — just lots of big action moments. And that attitude has infected the industry. Worse, too many producers, having read “Save The Cat” think that it’s a blueprint, not an analytical tool.

To me, The Last Jedi in particular is largely a collection of scenes that are generally done well individually, but form a very weak whole, and are a burning incoherent mess when you try to even think of continuity with the previous films. And that's not to say Farce Awakens was better - it's just that a lot of its would-be big moments were laughable gargage, so in that way, it's actually less of an example than TLJ for me.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:38 am

Robert Neville wrote:
To me, The Last Jedi in particular is largely a collection of scenes that are generally done well individually, but form a very weak whole, and are a burning incoherent mess when you try to even think of continuity with the previous films. And that's not to say Farce Awakens was better - it's just that a lot of its would-be big moments were laughable gargage, so in that way, it's actually less of an example than TLJ for me.

No overarching unifying vision in the hands of a director, only a committee bickering about "what works." A dash of sunk-costs; big budget projects, especially franchise installments cannot be shelved. You've already spent millions to get what you have. The show must go on. And if you've spent 40 million dollars on that apocalyptic sky of swirling garbage, then by God that moment is going to pay off. Thus, the LEGO-ification of cinema, the aggregation of scenes and big moments. When life gives you lemons you make lemonade. When Zack Snyder gives you shit, you make shit salad.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:13 am

If we're going to talk a movie that clotheslines half-moments instead of building a cogent story, in the best tradition of Abrams/Kurtzman/Orci, I'd recommend War of the Planet of the Apes.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:25 am

DaMU wrote:
If we're going to talk a movie that clotheslines half-moments instead of building a cogent story, in the best tradition of Abrams/Kurtzman/Orci, I'd recommend War of the Planet of the Apes.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]