It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 748 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 We Didn't Start The 80s 
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Rumpled wrote:
My contribution to this thread

I just first watched this 80's gem... Wooley will be so proud ;)

I assume that's the Tommy Lee Jones film, but I've never seen that particular poster.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
I assume that's the Tommy Lee Jones film, but I've never seen that particular poster.

Same here. Saw that baby in theaters back in the day. Barely remember it at all.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:40 am

Rumpled wrote:
My contribution to this thread

I just first watched this 80's gem... Wooley will be so proud ;)

YES!!! :up: :D

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:09 am

Thief wrote:

Same here. Saw that baby in theaters back in the day. Barely remember it at all.

It's better than you remember.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:09 am

Reporting on Adrian Lyne's first two films:

FOXES (1979)
I think I was expecting a naughty teen comedy or something, so I was impressed that the film took itself more seriously than that. It's about 4 teen girls doing some naughty/dangerous things, but there's consequences to their behavior and things occasionally get dark. It's not a forgotten masterpiece, but I definitely recommend it if only to remind oneself how terrific Jodie Foster was at this age.

(and as a classic rock nerd, I was especially enamored with the film thanks to various Easter Eggs, like the scene in which the girls attend an Angel concert. Or when Foster, referring to Cherie Currie's character, says "She doesn't run away anymore". That last one probably wasn't intentional but it amused me nevertheless. And I'm powerless to resist a film in which a depressed teenage girl unironically cranks up More Than a Feeling)

FLASHDANCE (1983)
So this wasn't great, but then again I don't think anyone has ever tried to convince me that it was, so no harm done. I'm old enough to remember the impact this had on pop culture at the time, so it's weird to find out that the movie is as slight as it is. Even the famous shoulder-baring sweatshirt only appears briefly. (But long enough to convince my Aunt that she'd look sexy in one, I guess.) But this would be Exhibit A if I were ever asked to illustrate the effect MTV had on Hollywood at the time. In a bonus interview, Bruckheimer even says that he considered it a musical and that's basically accurate given the frequency of music videos that occasionally intrude upon the plot. Also-this was my first viewing so I was amazed at how much of the footage my brain had memorized thanks to MTV's near-constant airing of the Sembello video back in the day. Not terrible, but I doubt I'll revisit it in the future.

Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:29 am

"...because you're mine, I walk the Lyne..."

9 1/2 WEEKS (1986)
Not much to say about this one, as it was pretty empty. Attractive people doing it.
I will point out that it's been a long time since I've seen prime-time Rourke so it was really jarring to be reminded of how hunky he once was. And douchey. If there was a Smarm Olympics in '86, Bruce Willis and Mickey Rourke would've been Gold and Silver medallists.

FATAL ATTRACTION (1987)
This might be the first Lyne film to have any sort of normal plot to speak of. (As opposed to the series-of-music-videos approach.) This one is fun in a tawdry sort of way and works as far as suspense and thrills and so on, but when I stop to think about any of what's happening it makes me feel dirty. The message could've been "keep it in your pants" but instead it was more like "bitches is crazy". Douglas cheated on an innocent spouse, but Close is the clear villain. And having the wife deliver the ultimate punishment only served to absolve Douglas even more.
But still, I get why this caused such a stir at the time. I'm not denying its charms as a sleazy thriller.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:51 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
"...because you're mine, I walk the Lyne..."

9 1/2 WEEKS (1986)
Not much to say about this one, as it was pretty empty. Attractive people doing it.
I will point out that it's been a long time since I've seen prime-time Rourke so it was really jarring to be reminded of how hunky he once was. And douchey. If there was a Smarm Olympics in '86, Bruce Willis and Mickey Rourke would've been Gold and Silver medallists.

FATAL ATTRACTION (1987)
This might be the first Lyne film to have any sort of normal plot to speak of. (As opposed to the series-of-music-videos approach.) This one is fun in a tawdry sort of way and works as far as suspense and thrills and so on, but when I stop to think about any of what's happening it makes me feel dirty. The message could've been "keep it in your pants" but instead it was more like "bitches is crazy". Douglas cheated on an innocent spouse, but Close is the clear villain. And having the wife deliver the ultimate punishment only served to absolve Douglas even more.
But still, I get why this caused such a stir at the time. I'm not denying its charms as a sleazy thriller.

9 1/2 Weeks is garbage.

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I don't think Douglas is absolved of his shittiness as a husband in this. And even if he is, I don't hold the movie to high standards of social approval though. To me it is just a B movie throw back done 80's style, full of stereotypical archetypes. Glenn Close is absurdly psychotic, as it should be in such an ultimately dumb movie. I've always loved it.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:38 am

crumbsroom wrote:

9 1/2 Weeks is garbage.

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I don't think Douglas is absolved of his shittiness as a husband in this. And even if he is, I don't hold the movie to high standards of social approval though. To me it is just a B movie throw back done 80's style, full of stereotypical archetypes. Glenn Close is absurdly psychotic, as it should be in such an ultimately dumb movie. I've always loved it.

Yeah, I hope my message came across that I mostly enjoyed it for what it was.
Maybe Douglas isn't absolved; it definitely seemed like a cautionary tale to not cheat. But I still feel like the blame was on Close for not being cool with the casual hang. Douglas may have brought it on himself, but he's still the "good guy" of the story being chased by the villain. I don't want to focus on this too much, though. I knew I was in for a sleazy time going in and it delivered.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:59 am

Douglas sure got around with the "sleazy thriller" fad. This, Basic Instinct, Disclosure (which was as bland as it could be, but still marketed as a steamy "sleazy thriller"). Also, was this the first of this string of sleazy/erotic thrillers that plagued the 90s?

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:34 am

Thief wrote:
Also, was this the first of this string of sleazy/erotic thrillers that plagued the 90s?

Can't say for sure but at the time I remember thinking that they were all cashing in on FA's popularity. So my hot take is "Yes".

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:43 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Yeah, I hope my message came across that I mostly enjoyed it for what it was.
Maybe Douglas isn't absolved; it definitely seemed like a cautionary tale to not cheat. But I still feel like the blame was on Close for not being cool with the casual hang. Douglas may have brought it on himself, but he's still the "good guy" of the story being chased by the villain. I don't want to focus on this too much, though. I knew I was in for a sleazy time going in and it delivered.

Oh, there's no doubt Close is portraying the worst of jilted woman stereotypes. In that sense, yeah, it's not a flattering portrait and deserves criticism. I was just thinking back and wondering how Douglas was portrayed and I remember him as not coming out clean. But I could be entirely remembering this wrong. It could have an entirely been a 'a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do' kinda thing, which would hardly be surprising considering the director or the decade. Either way, I hope it's the kind of movie that no one would ever consider with the slightest bit of seriousness. It's completely ridiculous.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:44 am

Does anybody remember that sleazy thriller where Michael Douglas decides to masturbate in front of his secretary?

No? Oh well, let's talk about Louis CK some more then.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:07 am

I prefer 9 & 1/2 Weeks, not because it's better but maybe a little more honest about what it is.

Fatal Attraction, for me, will always be tainted by the inexplicable fact that it was a multiple Oscar nominee, including (bww) Best Picture. It obviously deserved none. I'm sure that if 9 & 1/2 Weeks had fooled so many people into thinking it wasn't some kind of disposable pulp than it would also be more scorned. But instead we had to all pretend that Fatal Attraction wasn't trash for a while until taking a collective shower and a nap and realizing that it's kinda fucked up that it received five more Oscar nominations than Sex Lies & Videotape. Michael Douglas, in all honesty, is basically a cheap burger of a movie star.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:17 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Can't say for sure but at the time I remember thinking that they were all cashing in on FA's popularity. So my hot take is "Yes".

The Temp wasn't so bad *shrug*

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:19 am

Jinnistan wrote:
No? Oh well, let's talk about Louis CK some more then.

Ugh, please no. It's clearly for the best that we just let all of the hot takes coming out over a leaked set do all the talking.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:28 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Ugh, please no. It's clearly for the best that we just let all of the hot takes coming out over a leaked set do all the talking.

I was being a little sarcastic. But it's funny how no one is talking about "too soon" with regards to Michael Douglas' recent work considering how he was accused of essentially the same behavior.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:32 am

Here's a fun Albert Finney double feature:

Shepherds we shall be, for thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:38 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I was being a little sarcastic. But it's funny how no one is talking about "too soon" with regards to Michael Douglas' recent work considering how he was accused of essentially the same behavior.

I so rarely pay attention to stories about most celebrities personal lives, I had no idea what you were referring to wasn't actually a real movie about Douglas wanking it.

I'm hardly surprised though.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:47 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Fatal Attraction, for me, will always be tainted by the inexplicable fact that it was a multiple Oscar nominee, including (bww) Best Picture.

Ha! I didn't remember that, yikes. I guess in its defense I would only say that at no time did it feel like anyone involved was aiming for Oscar glory, so I wouldn't blame the nominations on Lyne. The vibe I was getting from the film was more like an early-60s Joan Crawford vehicle. I'm way more comfortable with that; had I remembered the Oscar stuff I'd probably backlash the hell out of it. :)

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 am

"The most valuable commodity I know of is masturbation. Wouldn't you agree?"

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:15 am

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:34 am

Death Proof wrote:

Like Westworld, a number of Crichton's works, like this film and maybe a couple of others (Coma, Terminal Man) could use the kind of reboot that would not only update the woefully antiquated technology but also explore the implications given by the newer technology that even Crichton was unable to envision. This is a fascinating, if outdated, film though.

Also, a couple of other non-Crichton films deserve similar update-reboots - Brainstorm, Dreamscape, Runaway, etc.

(Oh wait. Runaway was Crichton too. I forgot about that.)

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:40 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Like Westworld, a number of Crichton's works, like this film and maybe a couple of others (Coma, Terminal Man) could use the kind of reboot that would not only update the woefully antiquated technology but also explore the implications given by the newer technology that even Crichton was unable to envision. This is a fascinating, if outdated, film though.

Also, a couple of other non-Crichton films deserve similar update-reboots - Brainstorm, Dreamscape, Runaway, etc.

(Oh wait. Runaway was Crichton too. I forgot about that.)

How DARE you, sir. Dreamscape and Runaway are fine films that don't need a reboot.

If you think about it, we're practically at the Runaway level of robotics, drones and weapons right now.

Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:51 am

I can't be the only person here with a deep and unapologetic love for Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon. I just watched it on Netflix for the first since the '80s and by god it holds up.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:07 am

Anyone who doesn't like The Last Dragon can kiss my...
...well, you know.

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:16 am

kgaard. wrote:
I can't be the only person here with a deep and unapologetic love for Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon. I just watched it on Netflix for the first since the '80s and by god it holds up.

No, it is one of my favorite movies ever.
"You sure look like a Master to me."

Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:34 am

Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:18 am

Any fans of Body Slam out there?

One aspect of 80s pop culture that I fully embraced was Pro Wrestling, although I'm a bit of a hipster in that regard as I'd sort of moved on by the time it became popular in a mainstream kinda way. I was a fan when it was a low-budget regional affair on syndicated TV (Mid-South Wrestling FTW!), so I'd outgrown it around the time Cyndi Lauper was getting involved, and Hulkamania and so on.

Anyhow, if someone wanted to wallow in 80s-ness Body Slam would certainly hit the spot. Dirk Benedict, Roddy Piper, Tanya Roberts. Wrestling. Terrible 80s band (Kick). Ferraris. It's not a good movie but it sure is an 80s movie.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:51 am

Captain Terror wrote:
One aspect of 80s pop culture that I fully embraced was Pro Wrestling, although I'm a bit of a hipster in that regard as I'd sort of moved on by the time it became popular in a mainstream kinda way. I was a fan when it was a low-budget regional affair on syndicated TV (Mid-South Wrestling FTW!)

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:17 am

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:18 am

Death Proof wrote:
Here's a fun Albert Finney double feature:

Somehow I overlooked this post.
Both of these films were favorites of mine back in the early to mid 80s.
Unfortunately, Looker does not hold up.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

One aspect of 80s pop culture that I fully embraced was Pro Wrestling, although I'm a bit of a hipster in that regard as I'd sort of moved on by the time it became popular in a mainstream kinda way. I was a fan when it was a low-budget regional affair on syndicated TV (Mid-South Wrestling FTW!), so I'd outgrown it around the time Cyndi Lauper was getting involved, and Hulkamania and so on.

Oh, I was a big fan of The Junkyard Dog and The Iron Sheik, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, Kamala, Killer Khan, Andre The Giant, Ted Dibiase, The Great Kabuki, and King Kong Motherfucking Bundy.

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:26 pm

Wooley wrote:
Oh, I was a big fan of The Junkyard Dog and The Iron Sheik, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, Kamala, Killer Khan, Andre The Giant, Ted Dibiase, The Great Kabuki, and King Kong Motherfucking Bundy.

:up:
I recently found some old ticket stubs in a box of mementos, and was shocked at how often we attended matches. I found two from July 84 and one from Aug, so we were going like every couple of weeks. Fun times. Everywhere from the Superdome to the Higgins High School gym in Westwego (now THAT was an experience!)

Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:32 pm

Wooley wrote:

Don't forget....

and my personal favorite (but not a wrestler, per se) .....

Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:02 am

The Kaufman/Lawler thing is a good example of the regional nature of the wrestling in the early 80s that I mentioned earlier. Lawler was never on TV in my neck of the woods so I had no idea who he was. And I would not have seen any of the Kaufman-vs-women matches either, as most of that seemed to be centered in Memphis. It wasn't until it got to Letterman that I became aware of it, and even that was second hand as I was not in the habit of watching Letterman at that age. Kind of wish I'd experienced that at the time, but then again I was 11-13 or so, so I definitely would've been duped and booed Kaufman lustily.

Were any of you actually watching that as it happened?

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:39 am

Captain Terror wrote:
The Kaufman/Lawler thing is a good example of the regional nature of the wrestling in the early 80s that I mentioned earlier. Lawler was never on TV in my neck of the woods so I had no idea who he was. And I would not have seen any of the Kaufman-vs-women matches either, as most of that seemed to be centered in Memphis. It wasn't until it got to Letterman that I became aware of it, and even that was second hand as I was not in the habit of watching Letterman at that age. Kind of wish I'd experienced that at the time, but then again I was 11-13 or so, so I definitely would've been duped and booed Kaufman lustily.

Were any of you actually watching that as it happened?

Hm, I thought Memphis was the hub for the whole mid-South wrestling scene. I guess that's because of the eventual dominance of WWF.

At the time of the Kaufman thing, I was maybe 5 or so, so I was neither watching wrestling nor Letterman. I knew Kaufman from Taxi and Heartbeeps and by reputation. I heard secondhand about his shenanigans like this, getting banned off of Friday's and SNL. But I had (have) cousins who were bigger wrestling fans who acted very offended by Kaufman. I later saw the I'm From Hollywood doc, and by then I was already aware of the aesthetics of wrestling "theater", so I thought it was hilarious that none of the actual wrestling fans could apprectiate his heel. I think it was more provincial in hindsight. I think that he was considered an outsider to the community, so they simply refused to appreciate that what he was doing was sincere (albeit ridiculous) homage, and wasn't less than ridiculous than Brother Love or George Steele in comparison. I still honestly cannot see how anyone couldn't see that he wasn't being serious. The fact that so many fans thought that he was actually attacking them only makes them look much more dumber than he was calling them.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:16 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Hm, I thought Memphis was the hub for the whole mid-South wrestling scene.

As this (completely accurate) map illustrates, the focus was even smaller than I remembered.
I thought there was at least a third state included, but I guess not.

I remember being on a family vacation in Georgia and finding their local wrestling show on the hotel TV. One of the matches featured a wrestler that had been absent from Mid South for a few weeks because he was "recuperating from an injury". I guess you could get away with that sort of thing when only two states had access to your show.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:03 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Don't forget....

I liked Snuka, but he was never a part of Mid-South Wrestling and, honestly, as strange as this sounds for a kid, I lost interest when the WWF kinda took over everything. No real idea why, maybe I was always just a gritty person and didn't like the glamour.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
The Kaufman/Lawler thing is a good example of the regional nature of the wrestling in the early 80s that I mentioned earlier. Lawler was never on TV in my neck of the woods so I had no idea who he was. And I would not have seen any of the Kaufman-vs-women matches either, as most of that seemed to be centered in Memphis. It wasn't until it got to Letterman that I became aware of it, and even that was second hand as I was not in the habit of watching Letterman at that age.

Same here.

Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:33 pm

Wooley wrote:
I lost interest when the WWF kinda took over everything. No real idea why, maybe I was always just a gritty person and didn't like the glamour.

Same here, I think this is another example of that early 80s/late 80s schism we've discussed before. One guy that my brother and I fondly recall is Col. Buck Robley, because he was SO utterly unglamorous and not the least bit athletic. This is a guy that would never be invited to appear in a Cyndi Lauper video, let alone get in a ring with John Cena or the Rock.
I mentioned that event we saw at the high school gym and that one made an impression on me because it was Mid South guys but in a tiny venue. (Not sure how this even came about, as this was the same era when they were appearing at the UNO Arena every few weeks). I remember specifically DiBiase and Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin being there, and this was my first time being that close to the action. So not only could you hear the hits, but you could also hear what the wrestlers were saying, some of which was not suitable for TV. Gritty!

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:48 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Same here, I think this is another example of that early 80s/late 80s schism we've discussed before. One guy that my brother and I fondly recall is Col. Buck Robley, because he was SO utterly unglamorous and not the least bit athletic. This is a guy that would never be invited to appear in a Cyndi Lauper video, let alone get in a ring with John Cena or the Rock.
I mentioned that event we saw at the high school gym and that one made an impression on me because it was Mid South guys but in a tiny venue. (Not sure how this even came about, as this was the same era when they were appearing at the UNO Arena every few weeks). I remember specifically DiBiase and Gorgeous Jimmy Garvin being there, and this was my first time being that close to the action. So not only could you hear the hits, but you could also hear what the wrestlers were saying, some of which was not suitable for TV. Gritty!

Wow - that dude looks almost exactly like a pro wrestler friend of mine. I gotta send him that photo.

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:13 am

Death Proof wrote:

Wow - that dude looks almost exactly like a pro wrestler friend of mine. I gotta send him that photo.

Feel free to leave out the part where I called him an unglamorous slob. :)

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:19 am

Captain Terror wrote:

Feel free to leave out the part where I called him an unglamorous slob. :)

Nah, that pretty much sums up my friend, too. :D

Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:32 am

If you're a fan of the "mental powers" genre that was popular in the late '70s and early '80s that included Carrie, The Dead Zone and The Fury or if you just like '80s action thrillers in general, you'll probably like Dreamscape. A sort of spiritual predecessor to Inception, it features Dennis Quaid as a mentally gifted scoundrel who's squandering his powers on his gambling addiction. A former mentor played by Max Von Sydow ropes him in into working on a new technology that lets you go inside other peoples' dreams, a technology that, naturally, evil forces - aided by career sleazy guy David Patrick Kelly - want to exploit. It's not the best or the most thought-provoking (pardon the pun) entry in this genre by any means, but thanks to its all-star cast, trippy special effects and action that's exciting whether or not it's happening in someone's head, it's definitely not the least entertaining one. Look for George "Norm" Wendt in a small role as horror novelist Charlie Prince (gee, I wonder which author his name is parodying).

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:56 am

Torgo wrote:
If you're a fan of the "mental powers" genre that was popular in the late '70s and early '80s that included Carrie, The Dead Zone and The Fury or if you just like '80s action thrillers in general, you'll probably like Dreamscape. A sort of spiritual predecessor to Inception, it features Dennis Quaid as a mentally gifted scoundrel who's squandering his powers on his gambling addiction. A former mentor played by Max Von Sydow ropes him in into working on a new technology that lets you go inside other peoples' dreams, a technology that, naturally, evil forces - aided by career sleazy guy David Patrick Kelly - want to exploit. It's not the best or the most thought-provoking (pardon the pun) entry in this genre by any means, but thanks to its all-star cast, trippy special effects and action that's exciting whether or not it's happening in someone's head, it's definitely not the least entertaining one. Look for George "Norm" Wendt in a small role as horror novelist Charlie Prince (gee, I wonder which author his name is parodying).

I love Dreamscape.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:55 am

The Dead Zone was exquisite.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:16 am

Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:33 pm

Listening to "The Hooters -Nervous Night". "All You Zombies" still kicks ass.

Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 748 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15