It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 We Didn't Start The 80s 
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Rump wrote:
1980: Airplane!
1981: Raiders of the Lost Ark/Mad Max 2
1982: Blade Runner/The Thing/Conan the Barbarian
1983: Scarface
1984: Once Upon A Time In America
1985: Weird Science
1986: Aliens/Blue Velvet
1987: Three O'Clock High/The Last Emperor
1988: Die Hard
1989: Lady Terminator

Top 10 of all time

In all honestly, I haven't seen half of these. But,

:up:
Airplane
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Thing
Aliens
Die Hard

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:55 am

Rock wrote:
:heart: :heart: :heart:

It's the film that just keeps giving...

For instance... i just noticed how she casually flicks her hair away as she's blowing away cops :D

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:12 am

Apex Predator wrote:

In all honestly, I haven't seen half of these. But,

:up:
Airplane
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Thing
Aliens
Die Hard

I'd say my favorite film from that bunch which you didn't list would be Mad Max 2.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:17 am

Spencie Returns wrote:
I've always imagined Gremlins as the mascot of '80s films.

Complete with foam rubber suit.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:23 am

I saw a lot of films that I didn't necessarily want to see in the 1980s. I had HBO and I needed something to feed to my spankin' new VHS VCR.

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:25 am

Yeah, but you recorded a lot of movies from HBO that you didn't ever see.

The Future Unreels

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:26 am

True, but that's another story.

The Future Unreels

Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:26 am

Apex Predator wrote:
As for my pick of worst films of the 1980s, I'd have to lean towards Leonard Part 6.

It was so bad that Bill Cosby was badmouthing it. And he WROTE and PRODUCED it.

Oh, and worst song? Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now.

Can't argue with these. As for worst songs, there are so many but certainly that one and "We Built This City" rank at the very top.
Now, me, I personally have a category for worst music that people consider really good and my winner for the 80s is Bon Jovi and the fact that they got in the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame at all, much less before Jethro Tull, Duran Duran, and Joe Cocker is a goddamn joke, but I would put a whole lotta cats who haven't made it in yet before the likes of Bon Jovi. Whether or not The Smiths, The Cure, Iron Maiden, Roxy Music, Pantera, Soundgarden, Depeche Mode, The Meters, Peter Paul and Mary, A Tribe Called Quest, T. Rex, and Carol King should be in or not is a matter of debate, but they ALL should have gotten in before Bon Jovi.
I rank Livin' On A Prayer and You Give Love A Bad Name among the worst popular songs of All-Time, and I mean going back to the emergence of the popular "song" in, what, the late 1800s.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:38 am

While Bon Jovi is one of the most universally boring bands of all time, I still have affection for the chorus of Livin' on a Prayer. So I like about 40 seconds of their entire career. And I need to be drunk first.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:52 am

It's that fucking cowboy song for me. Wanted Dead or Alive I think? A bus is not a steel horse you fucking asshole. Also, he stole all Sebastian Bach's money, and that aint cool either.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:03 am

Whenever you Generation Xers think you have it bad, remember that I grew up with 00s Bon Jovi.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:39 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Whenever you Generation Xers think you have it bad, remember that I grew up with 00s Bon Jovi.
If you were under 40 and listening to Bon Jovi in the 00s, that's your own damn fault.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:45 am

BL wrote:
If you were under 40 and listening to Bon Jovi in the 00s, that's your own damn fault.
No no, It's My Life was a hit on Much Music along with all of the other cool music for cool kids. There was no escape, it's now or never, I don't wanna live forever

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:11 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Much Music along with all of the other cool music for cool kids
I usually refuse to type these letters, but LOL.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:13 am

Cut my life into pieces, this is my last *BLEEP*

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:28 am

Wooley wrote:
As for worst songs, there are so many but certainly that one and "We Built This City" rank at the very top.

The other day I turned on our local 80s station during the spoken-word portion of "Rock Me Amadeus" and I just sat there dumbfounded for a second, like WHO bought that lousy thing?
And among my circle of friends Bon Jovi belonged to the same category as Europe and White Lion, etc. That category being "Lame-ass Wankers". So yeah, no idea why they get a pass with the press over similar cheez like Poison.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:33 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
No no, It's My Life was a hit on Much Music along with all of the other cool music for cool kids. There was no escape, it's now or never, I don't wanna live forever

Oh, man. I just realized how many times I watched that music video. A teen boy's girlfriend calls him and is like "THERE'S A CONCERT IN A TUNNEL! GET HERE NOW!". And the whole video is him getting to the tunnel concert, which is very green lit.

I'm too tired for googling right now, but I feel like one of them was maybe a WB star?

Ugh. I've seen the music video for "It's My Life" more times than I've seen Die Hard.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Takoma is incepting my mind to watch the It's My Life video and oh my god that Linkin Park keyboard. This is it. I don't want to live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:10 pm

Shiri Appleby and Will Estes

Will Estes played a cop in The Dark Knight Rises ^_^ both have had healthy careers

Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I can't even pretend to be snobby about Xanadu. Yeah it's a terrible movie but it's prime-time Olivia. Not gonna lie--I occasionally listen to songs from the soundtrack. I was thrilled when my rock-drummer friend recently confessed that he has the album. He gets it. I secretly fantasize about an alternate reality where ONJ permanently joined ELO. I've probably only sat through the entire movie once, though. You might want to start with watching clips on YT before you commit to the full hour and a half. It's equal parts cheezy fun and dreadful tedium.

Dude, I think if you're honest about music you can't just dismiss "Magic", "I'm Alive", "Xanadu", and "Suddenly". And it's always fun to see good songs in a movie musical.
Now, most of the movie is shit, but we also get Gene Kelly's last performance (poor bastard).

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:07 pm

The Nameless One wrote:

See, I didn't even know there WAS 00s Bon Jovi. Certainly can't name a single song by them after Blaze Of Glory and who the fuck ever even heard anything after that.
It didn't play on the radio where I live, that's for fucking sure. I thought they were dead or something.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
The other day I turned on our local 80s station during the spoken-word portion of "Rock Me Amadeus" and I just sat there dumbfounded for a second, like WHO bought that lousy thing?

Ah, we finally disagree. I totally dig Falco. And that song in particular. Even more so than "Der Kommissar", which I listened to last night.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I can't even pretend to be snobby about Xanadu. Yeah it's a terrible movie but it's prime-time Olivia.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:48 pm

Wooley wrote:
Ah, we finally disagree. I totally dig Falco. And that song in particular. Even more so than "Der Kommissar", which I listened to last night.

Ha! I'll allow it, just please don't tell me you also liked Taco. :)

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:32 pm

Apex Predator wrote:

Chevy Chase films:

See them:
National Lampoon's Vacation
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (make note, the odd numbered films in the Vacation series are worth viewing)
Caddyshack (One of the best snobs vs. slobs comedies out there)
Fletch (probably best showcase for Chevy's BS brand of comedy)
Seems Like Old Times (Neil Simon comedy is showcase for him, Goldie Hawn, and Charles Grodin)
Three Amigos (possibly the weak link in the trio, but amusing predecessor for Galaxy Quest if nothing else)

Maybe?:
Fletch Lives (things get crazier...maybe too crazy for some)
Spies Like Us (I've heard this compared to a Hope/Crosby road picture, see the trailer to know if that's your thing or not)

No:
National Lampoon's European Vacation (Desperation, flopsweat fill the air; best appreciated for the British actors that show up)
Funny Farm (More like mildly amusing, kinda dull farm)
Modern Problems (Revenge flick is no 9 to 5, let me tell you)
Under the Rainbow (Unless you're intrigued by a Carrie Fisher/Chase pairing or a completest for everything related to Wizard of Oz, please skip)
Caddyshack 2 (One of the worst comedy sequels of all time. OF ALL TIME)

The problem here is gonna be that Chevy and I have never really gotten along. Was it you who was recently trying to connect with WC Fields and it just wasn't happening? Same deal. Never my favorite SNL cast member, and the trailers and clips I've seen from his films just don't attract me. So if I ever watch Vacation it'll be because of Ramis and J Candy, Three Amigos because of the other two amigos, or Old Times because I'm catching up on my Neil Simon. I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong, but if my choices on a given night are a Chase movie and a Murphy movie, I'd probably go with Eddie since I actually find him funny.
Has anyone seen Foul Play? That's a childhood favorite of my BFF who's been trying to get me to watch it with her for 30 years. Technically a 70s film I guess but maybe that'll be my way in with Chevy.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Has anyone seen Foul Play? That's a childhood favorite of my BFF who's been trying to get me to watch it with her for 30 years. Technically a 70s film I guess but maybe that'll be my way in with Chevy.

I love that movie. Technically it's a Goldie Hawn movie, Chase has a smaller part as the smooth cop. Burgess Meredith has a great role and Dudley Moore has an extended cameo as... I don't even want to say, because it's hilarious. Moore's scene is the highlight of the movie for me.

Watch it.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

SEEN Foul Play?!!!
I fucking love that movie.
Just re-watched it a year ago, too.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:56 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Ha! I'll allow it, just please don't tell me you also liked Taco. :)

I like that song. :shifty:

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:57 am

Captain Terror wrote:
The problem here is gonna be that Chevy and I have never really gotten along. Was it you who was recently trying to connect with WC Fields and it just wasn't happening? Same deal. Never my favorite SNL cast member, and the trailers and clips I've seen from his films just don't attract me. So if I ever watch Vacation it'll be because of Ramis and J Candy, Three Amigos because of the other two amigos, or Old Times because I'm catching up on my Neil Simon. I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong, but if my choices on a given night are a Chase movie and a Murphy movie, I'd probably go with Eddie since I actually find him funny.

I like Chevy a lot, I thought he was one of the greats in his prime but jesus what a fall.
But I would say if you watch Fletch and you like it and you like what he does, versus if you watch it and you don't like it and you don't like what he does, then there it is.
Fletch is sorta the quintessential Chevy Chase movie.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:00 am

Death Proof wrote:

I love that movie. Technically it's a Goldie Hawn movie, Chase has a smaller part as the smooth cop. Burgess Meredith has a great role and Dudley Moore has an extended cameo as... I don't even want to say, because it's hilarious. Moore's scene is the highlight of the movie for me.

Watch it.

Meredith and Moore are really what get that movie over the hump. I mean, I like the rest of the movie and I think it's one of Hawn's more spot-on roles/performances, and I really like the bad guys, too, but Moore and Meredith (and, of course, Esme) really give it that kick. Literally, in Meredith's case.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:02 am

Wooley wrote:
I like that song. :shifty:

Hey, don't sweat it. That just means you were a normal person that had friends. That's cool too, I guess. Or so I've heard.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 am

Here's something that should probably be addressed:

I think getting a ballad on the charts could be just what Henry Cavill's career needs right now.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:56 am

Wooley wrote:
SEEN Foul Play?!!!
I fucking love that movie.
Just re-watched it a year ago, too.

This guy gets it. :up:

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:13 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I'd say my favorite film from that bunch which you didn't list would be Mad Max 2.
Still my favorite one of the original MM trilogy! It's actually my favorite Mad Max movie period, an opinion I feel increasingly isolated in since the release of Fury Road (which I also like a lot as well); hopefully, you feel the same way...?

:oops:
Takoma1 wrote:

Oh, man. I just realized how many times I watched that music video. A teen boy's girlfriend calls him and is like "THERE'S A CONCERT IN A TUNNEL! GET HERE NOW!". And the whole video is him getting to the tunnel concert, which is very green lit.

I'm too tired for googling right now, but I feel like one of them was maybe a WB star?

Ugh. I've seen the music video for "It's My Life" more times than I've seen Die Hard.
Heh, this is really showing the age of that video (as well as my own) but I still remember marvelling at the fact that a guy in that video was using his dial-up connection while still talking on his phone, meaning that he had two phone lines going into his domicile; oh the early 2000's, where did you go?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:52 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Here's something that should probably be addressed:

I think getting a ballad on the charts could be just what Henry Cavill's career needs right now.

Well, of those, Swayze's seems legit. He did a song for the soundtrack of a movie he was in and it became a hit that one still hears on the radio from time to time.
The other ones are amusing enough punchlines, except Willis', which doesn't deserve even that.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:56 pm

I kinda like Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" :shifty:

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:17 pm

Speaking of the '80s, Molly Ringwald's essay about revisiting her John Hughes' films is worth a read.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:53 pm

Yeah, after four months, the site finally let me log in. So many goods ones already mentioned, so going a little outside the box.

My fav '80s film:

1 - Testament ('83)
2 - An American Werewolf in London ('81)
3 - Hope and Glory ('87)
4 - Stand By Me ('86)
5 - Do the Right Thing ('89)
6 - After Hours ('85)
7 - Drugstore Cowboy ('89)
8 - The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonsai ('84)
9 - Time Bandits ('81)
10 - Melvin and Howard ('81)
11 - Bird ('88)
12 - Sid and Nancy ('86)
13 - Brubaker ('80)
14 - Colors ('88)
15 - Mississippi Burning ("88)
16 - Tucker: A Man and His Dream ('88)
17 - The Elephant Man ('80)
18 - My Bodyguard ('80)
19 - She's Having a Baby ('88)
20 - Eight Men Out ('88)

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:00 pm

The '80s were not a good decade for pirate movies, apparently.
So, what's worse, The Pirate Movie or Roman Polanski's Pirates? Are either of them salvageable as "so bad, it's good" movies?

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:03 pm

Thief wrote:

It's not that bad of a pop-song, not my thing, but I think he showed some level of competence.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:26 am

Thief wrote:

Low key,

I liked the Bruce Willis one. Partly because I think that was a Pointer Sister singing with him? Also, I'm a sucker for some blues.

But She's Like the Wind is OK, too.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:29 am

crumbsroom wrote:
While Bon Jovi is one of the most universally boring bands of all time, I still have affection for the chorus of Livin' on a Prayer. So I like about 40 seconds of their entire career. And I need to be drunk first.

Kinda prefer Blaze of Glory myself. But yeah, I liked Livin' on a Prayer, too.

Doesn't mean that I would rather see Depeche Mode or the Eurythmics inducted first.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:31 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Takoma is incepting my mind to watch the It's My Life video and oh my god that Linkin Park keyboard. This is it. I don't want to live forever. I just want to live while I'm alive

Like Frankie said, I did it my way.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:32 am

Death Proof wrote:

Watch it.

Nice mix of conspiracy and comedy as laughs mix well enough with thrills.

A second/third vote to see this one.

But draw the line at Nothing But Trouble. For starters since it's early 90s, that's a DQ right there. Also, major waste of comic talent.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:34 am

Captain Terror wrote:

Yep, I was the one struggling with WC Fields.

Although there were two issues:
1. I was seeing the latter part and supposedly weaker part of his films.
2. I think he came from the vaudeville era, which is something to get used to if you're used to more modern comedies.

With Chevy in the 1970s, you got less of a problem trying to adjust. If it's the fact he is a bit of a smug jerk, then yeah, real life won't reveal that he's actually cool. Just google his issues with the female cast members of Community.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 am

Apex Predator wrote:
To be honest, I'd rather have Dayne over Tiffany or Debbie Gibson.

These are the choices?

Pat Benatar, Chaka Khan, Sade, Heart, Teena Marie, Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam, The Bangles, The Go Gos, The Slits, The Raincoats, Siouxie and the Banshees, Anita Baker, Bananarama? Little girl known as Madonna? I will listen to goddamn Klymaxx before I consider Taylor Dayne or Debbie Gibson viable fucking options.

Apex Predator wrote:
Trying to argue which is worse between Vibes and Transylvania would take the patience and wisdom of Solomon to decide.

You're welcome.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:41 am

Thief wrote:

Wooley wrote:
It's not that bad of a pop-song, not my thing, but I think he showed some level of competence.

Enough nonsense.

Let science decide. Listen to this and tell me it isn't instant 80s self-parody.

Now, "We Belong To The City", there's some competent 80s hackery.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:50 am

Torgo wrote:
The '80s were not a good decade for pirate movies, apparently.
So, what's worse, The Pirate Movie or Roman Polanski's Pirates? Are either of them salvageable as "so bad, it's good" movies?

Yellowbeard is an unmitigated diaster. But I think I'll still choose it instead.

Unless Ice Pirates counts. Because...

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:52 am

I'm not even going to get into the Bon Jovi thing, because I don't want to touch those itchy bitches. "Hair Metal", my ass. They were Osmonds with hairspray and mascara. Duran Duran, ftr, were much better. John Taylor was one of the funkiest bassists of the decade. "New Moon on Monday" is a much more difficult song to karaoke than "Living On A Prayer". Also, I'll say it. George Michael absolutely wipes the floor with Jon Bon. It ain't even close. Anyway, I'm glad that the entire premise of hair metal was proven moot after Guns and Roses showed up to eat everyone for breakfast.

As for the worst song? I'm gonna have to go with the coldest, blandest song to reach the top of the charts.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:20 am

I grew up surrounded by "hair metal", so I'm not ashamed to admit it's a genre I gravitate to frequently. I do acknowledge some of its shortcomings, and obviously my tastes have grown beyond that, but I enjoy it. Name an 80's "hair metal" band and I probably like something of them :D

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next