It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 We Didn't Start The 80s 
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Ftr, Ministry, as far as I'm concerned, is as metal as anyone here, but purists will always confine them to the Industrial ghetto.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:21 am

Thief wrote:
My young self gobbled most of these, but I think my tops were Transformers and G.I. Joe. Ahhh, to be young.

Re: Robotech, I remember loving it. Totally loving it. However, recently I decided to check it out (it's available on Amazon Prime) and it didn't go well. Saw about 3 or 4 episodes only.
I actually watched "The Big Apple" (the 3rd season episode where they go to New York) recently because I needed a burst of patriotism and optimism about America's future after being fed up with the Trump administration. It holds up pretty well, but I also don't think I could watch the entire series again. I don't want to spoil the good memories, and after watching dozens of serialized TV series since The Sopranos came out, I doubt it would hold up for myself as well.
Plus, I don't really want to hear Minmei's songs again. Even my 11-year old self found them cheesy and annoying. :D

Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:23 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Ftr, Ministry, as far as I'm concerned, is as metal as anyone here, but purists will always confine them to the Industrial ghetto.
Ministry was one of those cutting edge bands which spawned a sub-genre, I think Industrial Metal is a good catch for them where NIN was less metal and more straight up Industrial

I don't hold the Industrial label in any ill light. It's one of my preferred flavors of metal

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:01 am

Wooley wrote:
But Ski Petrol is lux?

This is...correct.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 am

The Nameless One wrote:
I don't hold the Industrial label in any ill light. It's one of my preferred flavors of metal

I like when your typical suburban metalhead (Satan! Skulls! Slaughter!) first gets a glimpse at Skinny Puppy and vomits profusely.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:30 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I like when your typical suburban metalhead (Satan! Skulls! Slaughter!) first gets a glimpse at Skinny Puppy and vomits profusely.

Where is the best place to start with Skinny Puppy? I don't know shit about them beyond their reputation and there is a stack of their records at the shop down the street from me, and not one in particular is drawing my hands towards it. I generally just go on instinct and grab what looks right, but I am clueless here.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:49 am

crumbsroom wrote:

Where is the best place to start with Skinny Puppy? I don't know shit about them beyond their reputation and there is a stack of their records at the shop down the street from me, and not one in particular is drawing my hands towards it. I generally just go on instinct and grab what looks right, but I am clueless here.

For me, and relevant to that post, Skinny Puppy was a primarily visual phenomenon. Their music is still pretty square in the WaxTrax standard - very goth, dissonant samples, barely legible gurgles. But the complete presentation of their shows really makes the package spank. So I'd say Ain't It Dead Yet?, a live show released on CD, but see if the DVD is available first. Of the studio stuff, maybe VIVIsectVI, Too Dark Park, or Cleanse Fold and Manipulate.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 am

Torgo wrote:
I actually watched "The Big Apple" (the 3rd season episode where they go to New York) recently because I needed a burst of patriotism and optimism about America's future after being fed up with the Trump administration. It holds up pretty well, but I also don't think I could watch the entire series again. I don't want to spoil the good memories, and after watching dozens of serialized TV series since The Sopranos came out, I doubt it would hold up for myself as well.
Plus, I don't really want to hear Minmei's songs again. Even my 11-year old self found them cheesy and annoying. :D

From what little memory I have, the third season is the one I liked the most. But that was a loooooong time ago.

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:46 pm

The most 1980s film? I think it was License to Drive.

You got cool teens in sunglasses (the two Coreys). You got Heather Graham playing a character named Mercedes. Wild mischief during a night on the town without parental naysaying. James Avery as a driving instructor. Carol Kane. Wackiness involving pregnancy and vehicular issues. Thumbing noses at authorities and their silly rules. A soundtrack featuring tunes from Belinda Carlisle, Billy Ocean, New Edition, and Pebbles. Oh, and a Cadillac and a Beamer are both involved.

Plus, it had one corker of a line.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:45 am

Our former landlords recently posted this helpful list:

140 Essential 80s Movies

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:52 am

Good list. I'd give the best 80s movie that captures the vibe of the era to either Better Off Dead or Adventures In Babysitting. It helps that I saw both a ton of times. Breakfast Club would also qualify.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:39 am

Captain Terror wrote:

140 Essential 80s Movies

Our former absentee landlords? And 140 are essential? I am not sure they know what the word "essential" means.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:44 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:

Our former absentee landlords? And 140 are essential? I am not sure they know what the word "essential" means.

Are you trying to say Footloose isn't essential viewing?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:51 am

I'm absolutely sure there are at least a hundred essential 80's movies. It's hardly a stretch to think there might be at least 40 more. It's not like there is a limited amount of things that should be considered 'essential'.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:00 pm

crumbsroom wrote:

I'm absolutely sure there are at least a hundred essential 80's movies. It's hardly a stretch to think there might be at least 40 more. It's not like there is a limited amount of things that should be considered 'essential'.

140 is not really practical. If someone asks for a list of essential 80s films, they're not asking for 300 hours of viewing.

When the disaster comes and and you have to flee and you're told you can only take the essentials, you're going to get everyone killed.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:24 pm

If someone asks for a list of essential 80s films, they're not asking for 300 hours of viewing.

They should be.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:35 pm

Apex Predator wrote:

You got cool teens in sunglasses (the two Coreys). You got Heather Graham playing a character named Mercedes. Wild mischief during a night on the town without parental naysaying. James Avery as a driving instructor. Carol Kane. Wackiness involving pregnancy and vehicular issues. Thumbing noses at authorities and their silly rules. A soundtrack featuring tunes from Belinda Carlisle, Billy Ocean, New Edition, and Pebbles. Oh, and a Cadillac and a Beamer are both involved.

"I'm a freeee maaaan!"

Loved that film. Haven't seen it in years, though.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Apex Predator wrote:

Yeah, I think that movie is a piece of fuckin' shit, but I can't argue with your statement at all.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

140 Essential 80s Movies

Well, that does look like a random collection of 80s movies. Except Delirious, which isn't a movie.

I also got a little peeved yesterday when NASA released a supposed list of the best and worst "space" films, and not only was The Right Stuff not on the former list, but instead they listed Star Trek: The Next Generation, which, again, not a "film". I only enjoy pointing out this bullshit designation because all of the "worst" space films were those with inaccurate science in them. These goddamn geeks need to be ridiculed for having an inaccurate concept of what a movie is.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:07 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Well, that does look like a random collection of 80s movies.

Yeah, notice they made no effort to explain why any of it was essential, they just copy/pasted the synopses from the individual movie pages. Rotten Tomatoes going that extra mile, as usual.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:44 am

Thief wrote:

"I'm a freeee maaaan!"

Loved that film. Haven't seen it in years, though.

Glad you liked it.

I think the line I was referring to had something to do with a Mercedes fitting inside the trunk of a Cadillac (can't seem to find it anywhere on Google).

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:28 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Glad you liked it.

I think the line I was referring to had something to do with a Mercedes fitting inside the trunk of a Cadillac (can't seem to find it anywhere on Google).

"Did you ever imagine you would see a Mercedes fit inside the trunk of a Cadillac?"

Yeah, something along that line. It was when the girl, Mercedes, was drunk and they stuffed her in the trunk of the Cadillac they were in.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 am

I like this thread

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:18 pm

wigwam wrote:
I like this thread

It was a good decade for Nicolas Cage. He could be both a great actor and completely skull-sizzled simultaneously. Slowly the skull-sizzle would take the dominant hand. At the Battle of Deadfall, it would finally grasp victory.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am

When they attack the car, save the radio.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Jinnistan wrote:

I also got a little peeved yesterday when NASA released a supposed list of the best and worst "space" films, and not only was The Right Stuff not on the former list,

If I were director of NASA, someone would get fired for that.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:51 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I also got a little peeved yesterday when NASA released a supposed list of the best and worst "space" films...
I don't think NASA released any such list. What I think happened is that the BBC interviewed a bunch of female NASA scientists and edited together a video under the headline "The best and worst space films, according to Nasa," including all the movies they mentioned when asked what are the best and worst. It seems like one mention from one employee was enough to make it into the video in some cases, but the headline (parroted by other outlets) makes it seem like some formal statement from the agency.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:01 am

BL wrote:
I don't think NASA released any such list. What I think happened is that the BBC interviewed a bunch of female NASA scientists and edited together a video under the headline "The best and worst space films, according to Nasa," including all the movies they mentioned when asked what are the best and worst. It seems like one mention from one employee was enough to make it into the video in some cases, but the headline (parroted by other outlets) makes it seem like some formal statement from the agency.

Yes, this is most likely correct. It was a dumb article I clicked on where I went straight to the list and disposed in sulk. NASA needs to issue a correction immediately. And I feel that Neil DeGrasse Tyson should still apologize.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:03 am

In wake of the late Harry Anderson, this 40 minute collection of his appearances on Letterman serves as about the best tribute I've seen for him, especially for those interested in his magic and real-life history as a street hustler.

Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:13 am

I thought this band was a complete joke back in the day, but I heard this on the radio today and thought "Dang this is a good song". If I'd been able to look past the silly hair I might've noticed that Nerdy Guy is tearing up that Gibson Firebird. Hey, I can admit when I'm wrong. You win this round, 80s.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:19 pm

Question:

What is the most "80's" movie you can think of - with a synthesizer-heavy soundtrack, the bright pastel colors, and heavy usage of 80's (mostly valley girl) lingo? Giant mall hair a bonus.

I'd lean towards "Hot Dog: The Movie" off the top of my head.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:49 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Question:

What is the most "80's" movie you can think of - with a synthesizer-heavy soundtrack, the bright pastel colors, and heavy usage of 80's (mostly valley girl) lingo? Giant mall hair a bonus.

I'd lean towards "Hot Dog: The Movie" off the top of my head.
The Lost Boys, probably. There's no mistaking when that movie was made.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:53 pm

Even though it was an underground movie and came fairly early in the decade, Liquid Sky is pretty goddamn 80s. It's neon-lit, synth-scored (featuring a song in praise of a rhythm box, no less), DayGlo-smeared trash from top to bottom.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:08 am

What a definitively 80s film is isn't easy to say.

Is it a film that captures the filmmaking of the era (e.g., lighting, editing, sound design)?

Is it a film that captures the "dreamworld" of the era? That is, not what the 80s were really "like" but the official fantasy of what life was like and supposed to be like at the time?

Is it a film that provides a viewer with actual historical insight into what the 80s were really like?

Some combination of these and other "essentials"?

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:06 am

This isn't a film, but if someone asked me "what were the 80s like?" I might suggest the Square Pegs TV series.

You've got your Valley girl, the new-waver guy, the baby boomer schoolteacher who's obsessed with the 60s...

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:17 am

What a definitively 80s film is isn't easy to say.

Is it a film that captures the filmmaking of the era (e.g., lighting, editing, sound design)?

Is it a film that captures the "dreamworld" of the era? That is, not what the 80s were really "like" but the official fantasy of what life was like and supposed to be like at the time?

Is it a film that provides a viewer with actual historical insight into what the 80s were really like?

Some combination of these and other "essentials"?
This is kind of why I went with Liquid Sky, as it accomplishes just about all of this, even fusing the elements that might seem contradictory. It's a very heightened fantasy depiction of the New Wave scene that is still set against a backdrop of real New York locations. So while the loony plot about aliens stealing endorphins from heroin addicts and mid-coitus urban rapists gives you the dream/nightmare elements of the 80s, the decades-ago cityscape still serves as a document of the reality of the time, even if it's rarely foregrounded.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:21 am

Torgo wrote:
The Lost Boys, probably. There's no mistaking when that movie was made.

I love that movie. Great soundtrack, acting, costumes, dialogue, etc. And the greased-up muscle guy saxophone player.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:26 am

Death Proof wrote:

I love that movie. Great soundtrack, acting, costumes, dialogue, etc. And the greased-up muscle guy saxophone player.
Same here. I still believe Tim Cappello would draw sellout crowds if he went on tour.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:44 am

BL wrote:
This is kind of why I went with Liquid Sky, as it accomplishes just about all of this, even fusing the elements that might seem contradictory. It's a very heightened fantasy depiction of the New Wave scene that is still set against a backdrop of real New York locations. So while the loony plot about aliens stealing endorphins from heroin addicts and mid-coitus urban rapists gives you the dream/nightmare elements of the 80s, the decades-ago cityscape still serves as a document of the reality of the time, even if it's rarely foregrounded.

I am watching it right now on YT. Never heard of it. But the music. It sounds like a Speak and Spell synth. This making John Carpenter's minimal synths seem like Bach.

This is like Flock of Seagulls on a date with Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:47 am

This is like Flock of Seagulls on a date with Plan 9 from Outer Space.
Exactly!

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:49 am

Did someone call the 80s?

Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:45 am

Jinnistan wrote:

Winner.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:05 am

Death Proof wrote:
Winner.

That really should have been the picture I used at the start of the thread.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:14 am

Best end credits sequence ever.
Fun fact: Wes Anderson referenced it in The Life Aquatic.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:33 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I thought this band was a complete joke back in the day, but I heard this on the radio today and thought "Dang this is a good song". If I'd been able to look past the silly hair I might've noticed that Nerdy Guy is tearing up that Gibson Firebird. Hey, I can admit when I'm wrong. You win this round, 80s.

It is a good song and yeah they had a good guitarist.

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Space Age Love Song is the only song I know how to play on guitar. The first I heard it was in an episode of Genndy Tartakovsky's Sym-Bionic Titan

Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:59 am

Jinnistan wrote:

I love that movie. Without it, The Life Aquatic does not exist.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sat May 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Off the top of my head, my favorite 80s albums would be:

War, U2
Murmur, REM
Invisible Touch, Genesis
Making Movies, Dire Straits
Ghost In The Machine, The Police
Straight Outta Compton, NWA
Thriller, Michael Jackson
Autoamerican, Blondie
Kill 'Em All, Metallica
Power, Corruption & Lies, New Order
Doolittle, The Pixies
Licensed to Ill, Beastie Boys
Nebraska, Bruce Springsteen
Daydream Nation, Sonic Youth
Sports, Huey Lewis and the News
Back In Black, AC/DC
Dead Can Dance, Dead Can Dance
Controversy, Prince
Suburban Lawns, Suburban Lawns
Graceland, Paul Simon

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sat May 05, 2018 5:37 pm

I'll give this album thing a shot.

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Black Flag - Damaged
Devo - Freedom of Choice
Misfits - Walk Among Us
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Napalm Death - Scum
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Slayer - Reign in Blood

Sun May 06, 2018 8:09 am

Rock wrote:
I'll give this album thing a shot.

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Black Flag - Damaged
Devo - Freedom of Choice
Misfits - Walk Among Us
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Napalm Death - Scum
N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of a Madman
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Slayer - Reign in Blood

Outside of Diary of a Madman (I've never been much interested in solo Ozzy, just not my thing) everything here is tops.

Sun May 06, 2018 9:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next