It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:32 am



Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 We Didn't Start The 80s 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Also I'm disappointed that no one has posted a Kuato gif yet.

_________________
Captain's Log


Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:19 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Captain Terror wrote:
[Again, don't take any of this in an antagonistic way. I don't deny there's something there that people responded to. Just noting that from my detached, 30-years-removed perspective his stardom is sort of baffling.
Oh, don't worry. I'm not taking it as antagonistic at all. In a way, I think Total Recall probably requires a little more familiarity with 1980s action movies and Schwarzenegger's appeal in particular to get what it's doing. The 1980s were a kind of rebuilding period for the American psyche, and I think that's reflected in a lot of the action movies of that era. The 1970s brought us our first military defeat, Watergate, stagflation and the energy crisis, which led to the presidency of Ronald Reagan, a Hollywood actor who preached a message of re-establishing American exceptionalism and might. A whole lot of action movies in the '80s were about muscly he-men with big guns either refighting the Vietnam War for a more pro-USA outcome (the Rambo series went the most literal with this concept) or fighting Reagan's War on Drugs. Schwarzenegger the actor has his obvious shortcomings, but Schwarzenegger the movie star was incredibly shrewd about picking projects that capitalized on this anxiety. And while he's not the best thespian, he's at least self-effacing about that, which can go a long way.

_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Captain Terror wrote:
That's what I've been enjoying about his films so far, but I thought F+B and Robocop were more successful at it than TR. Don't forget I've seen all of them a grand total of ONCE so go easy on me. :)


FTR record, I never liked Total Recall either. But I haven't seen it since I was about 14, and hated any movie where they went into space, so my verdict probably doesn't provide you much cover.


Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:24 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

crumbsroom wrote:

FTR record, I never liked Total Recall either. But I haven't seen it since I was about 14, and hated any movie where they went into space, so my verdict probably doesn't provide you much cover.
I...I mean I...crumbs, this is the perfect movie for you. What are you doing to yourself?


_________________
"It's OK to have beliefs, just don't believe in them." — Guy Ritchie


Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:32 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

BL wrote:
I...I mean I...crumbs, this is the perfect movie for you. What are you doing to yourself?



Clearly, I've been living wrong.

I have no doubt I should revisit, since I've grown to love pretty much everything Verhoeven has done. For a reference point, early adolescence also led me to hate Robocop, because it had robots in it, and robots were stupid. Especially when they were cops. Because fuck robot cops.

I had so much to learn.


Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:40 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Captain Terror wrote:
I have not, indeed this thread was created because I mentioned elsewhere that the 80s are a giant blind spot for me. To put things in perspective the only Schwarzenegger film I saw while the 80s were still in progress was Conan the Destroyer. It was well into the 2000s before I got around to Terminator. So that's the level of ignorance I'm working with when I discuss this stuff.



Oh holy shit, dude... go watch Predator RIGHT NOW.




Gonna have me some fun.... gonna have me some fun...

_________________
She's been dying and I've been drinking and I am the Rain King


Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:48 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Captain Terror wrote:

TOTAL RECALL 1990 (but still an 80s movie, right?)
I was really looking forward to this one, somehow convinced that I'd love it but alas that was not the case. I found the Dark City-ish false memory thing very intriguing so I was disappointed when the back half of the film abandoned that and became "try to turn on the turbine thingy". I was also unprepared for how much screentime would be devoted to Arnold with a wet towel on his head. I gave this one an extra star for Rob Bottin.

I thought that was an intentional ruse since the movie dangles it's balls in your face at the end because:
Right before Arnold goes under in the Recall lab, one technician tosses Arnold's customized program to the other to place in the machine and he looks at it and says, "That's a new one: blue sky on Mars."
The movie ends with a blue sky on Mars, indicating that the entire movie is Arnold's Rekall fantasy. So they kinda get you to forget about that until the very end with the whole McGuffin about Cohaagen and the mutants and the turbines is like the pretty assistant in the sparkly outfit while the magician pulls your card out of the deck.


Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:07 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Wooley wrote:
I thought that was an intentional ruse since the movie dangles it's balls in your face at the end because:
Right before Arnold goes under in the Recall lab, one technician tosses Arnold's customized program to the other to place in the machine and he looks at it and says, "That's a new one: blue sky on Mars."
The movie ends with a blue sky on Mars, indicating that the entire movie is Arnold's Rekall fantasy. So they kinda get you to forget about that until the very end with the whole McGuffin about Cohaagen and the mutants and the turbines is like the pretty assistant in the sparkly outfit while the magician pulls your card out of the deck.

Whoa. OK you blew my mind with that one. I definitely caught the blue sky line, because I'm a Matthew Sweet fan, but I didn't make the connection at the end. Nor did I notice the line BL brought up ("kiss me before we wake up" or whatever.) I think I'd mentally checked out by the end. So while I still maintain that watching them turn the turbine on was boring, I will concede that I missed some stuff. I'll get back with yall in 30 years and tell you if my opinion has changed.

_________________
Captain's Log


Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:32 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Captain Terror wrote:
TOTAL RECALL 1990 (but still an 80s movie, right?)
I was really looking forward to this one, somehow convinced that I'd love it but alas that was not the case. I found the Dark City-ish false memory thing very intriguing so I was disappointed when the back half of the film abandoned that and became "try to turn on the turbine thingy". I was also unprepared for how much screentime would be devoted to Arnold with a wet towel on his head. I gave this one an extra star for Rob Bottin.
You see, I liked Totall Recall because it didn't overplay the whole "false reality" element within itself, and how it subtly becomes so much more than just another Arnie flick. At first, it does seem like nothing more just another sci-fi actioner (albeit, a very creative and well-executed one), but with just that one scene in the middle (plus a few other details here and there), it becomes this whole meta-commentary on the nature of film itself, and how every movie is inherently presenting to us a false reality, but we never care about that because it's just accepted as part of the overall artform itself. Yes, you could turn your brain off and just enjoy all the bloody fighting and shootouts TR contains, but the beauty of the film is that it's so much deeper than that and it does it so effortlessly, without ever coming close to belaboring the central concept/theme, unlike the blatant lecturing of something like The Matrix (a movie that I still love, but do acknowledge that it goes overboard with the overly tell-not-show nature of its basic storytelling).

_________________
Recently Reviewed: Ant-Man And The Wasp


Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:59 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

I've never seen the original Predator.:(


Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:47 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Stu wrote:
You see, I liked Totall Recall because it didn't overplay the whole "false reality" element within itself, and how it subtly becomes so much more than just another Arnie flick. At first, it does seem like nothing more just another sci-fi actioner (albeit, a very creative and well-executed one), but with just that one scene in the middle (plus a few other details here and there), it becomes this whole meta-commentary on the nature of film itself, and how every movie is inherently presenting to us a false reality, but we never care about that because it's just accepted as part of the overall artform itself. Yes, you could turn your brain off and just enjoy all the bloody fighting and shootouts TR contains, but the beauty of the film is that it's so much deeper than that and it does it so effortlessly, without ever coming close to belaboring the central concept/theme, unlike the blatant lecturing of something like The Matrix (a movie that I still love, but do acknowledge that it goes overboard with the overly tell-not-show nature of its basic storytelling).


kinda like Starship Troopers too.....

Hollywood needs another Paul Verhoeven. or possibly the old Paul Verhoeven.


Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:01 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

ski petrol wrote:
I've never seen the original Predator.:(



That's your homework for the weekend. Get on it.

_________________
She's been dying and I've been drinking and I am the Rain King


Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:38 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

I had so many plans for my day off but then it started raining, so now all I've got to show for myself is an empty box of cookies and two Deathstalker movies on my "recently watched" list. Curse you Amazon, and your enabling convenience!

ImageImage
DEATHSTALKER (1983)
DEATHSTALKER II (1987)

Not the most productive use of my vacation time.

_________________
Captain's Log


Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:14 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Captain Terror wrote:
I had so many plans for my day off but then it started raining, so now all I've got to show for myself is an empty box of cookies and two Deathstalker movies on my "recently watched" list. Curse you Amazon, and your enabling convenience!

ImageImage
DEATHSTALKER (1983)
DEATHSTALKER II (1987)

Not the most productive use of my vacation time.

I didn't mind the first Deathstalker, don't think I ever saw the second.


Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:29 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Wooley wrote:
I didn't mind the first Deathstalker, don't think I ever saw the second.

This was my first time seeing part II. Give it a shot if you have Amazon. It has a healthy sense of humor about itself that the first one doesn't. It's way less rapey than part 1 and there actually seemed to be some attempt at giving the girls their due this time. (Yes, I'm saying this about a film whose leading lady is a sometimes-topless Penthouse Pet, but still). She's a feisty sidekick for the hero, and there's a group of warrior women that hold their own in a battle. Lots of recycled footage from the first film, as well as Corman's Pit and the Pendulum (the opening shot of the castle). Not a great movie by any stretch, but fun on a rainy off day.
The first Deathstalker was a favorite of my young teen years. It's a miracle I didn't grow up to become a sex offender.

_________________
Captain's Log


Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:40 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 365 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BL, Torgo and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.