It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 560 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 We Didn't Start The 80s 
Post Re: We Didn't Start The 80s

Thief wrote:

Nobody said it was.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:55 pm

BL wrote:
As somebody who has spent a considerable amount of time observing courtroom proceedings, I can't accept Nicholson's testimony in A Few Good Men as anything but the laziest screenwriting imaginable. That level of self-incrimination would've been embarrassing in an episode of Perry Mason. It's an interesting movie that just shits the bed in the third act.

Can't argue with that, but I always see the movie as if it were a play, which it was, and so I give it a little leeway in that realism area.
It was never credible that someone portrayed for the whole movie as being as dominant and wily Jessup was could be so quickly and easily bullied into tricked into self-incrimination as he was, but...

Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:34 pm

Given Jessup's character, I really wouldn't put it past him. It pushes the boundaries of believability, but like Daniel says, he probably felt like he was entitled to what he did, and wanted to say it. Felt like he was doing a greater good, and maybe thought the judge would side with him. Either way, it's a damn entertaining film.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:45 am

Jinnistan wrote:

Cool song :up:

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:46 am

Thief wrote:
Cool song :up:

Nobody said it wasn't 8-)

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:46 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Nobody said it wasn't 8-)

Never said someone did

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:51 pm

OK, I caved and watched A Few Good Men. Consider the truth officially handled.
I'll agree with Wooley, et al, that it was fun in a pulpy kind of way. As someone with no experience with either the military or law, even I could recognize that a lot of this was BS, but I was entertained. It's been a while since I've seen ol' Jack chew the scenery like this, so that's always a plus. And Cruise wasn't far behind in that regard. I'm not sorry I watched it.
(Also, I spent the entire film dreading the moment that Demi Moore would fall madly in love with Cruise and make out with him, so kudos for not making her do that.)

Thief wrote:
Given Jessup's character, I really wouldn't put it past him. It pushes the boundaries of believability, but like Daniel says, he probably felt like he was entitled to what he did, and wanted to say it. Felt like he was doing a greater good, and maybe thought the judge would side with him. Either way, it's a damn entertaining film.

Lazy writing or not, I agree that it wasn't totally out of character. His attitude during the early meeting with Cruise in Cuba sort of foreshadows his eventual confession. And Cruise explains to his team (and the audience) how Jessup might be tricked into confessing, so even if it's not plausible, it's not completely out of left field either.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
OK, I caved and watched A Few Good Men. Consider the truth officially handled.
I'll agree with Wooley, et al, that it was fun in a pulpy kind of way. As someone with no experience with either the military or law, even I could recognize that a lot of this was BS, but I was entertained. It's been a while since I've seen ol' Jack chew the scenery like this, so that's always a plus. And Cruise wasn't far behind in that regard. I'm not sorry I watched it.
(Also, I spent the entire film dreading the moment that Demi Moore would fall madly in love with Cruise and make out with him, so kudos for not making her do that.)
Seeing you discuss AFGM inspired me to check out its trivia page on IMDB, and according to it...

"An unnamed executive gave Aaron Sorkin a note: "If Tom Cruise and Demi Moore aren't going to sleep with each other, why is Demi Moore a woman?" He responded, "I said the obvious answer: Women have purposes other than to sleep with Tom Cruise." He claimed the incident was his worst experience as a Screenwriter."

Ugggh. Anyway, I remember the movie itself being a pretty solid (if not great) military/legal drama, but one thing that bugged me about it (if memory serves me right) was Lieutenant Markinson (J. T. Walsh's character)
bothering to come out of hiding to apparently try to help out the defense with the case, but then he just... shoots himself instead. In theory, it could've made sense for him to do it due to guilt over failing to protect Santiago, but in context, it came out of essentially nowhere, and just felt like a pointless plot complication that the film failed to justify in order to throw us a narrrative curveball.

So like I said, a good movie otherwise, but that part did get on my nerves some.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:01 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

I agree, but I could've done without the hints of them ending up together. They had no chemistry at all, and if they weren't planning to follow through, then why hint at the possibility.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:45 pm

Shakedown belongs in this thread. Roland Dalton, Peter Weller's hotheaded, egotistical, edgy lawyer character, wears pretty much the same clothes Buckaroo Banzai wears. There's also Sam Elliott as Richie Marks, a Texan Dirty Harry, or as the movie labels him, a "blue jean cop." They team up to take down corrupt cops who are ripping off drug dealers - crack, that is, to make it topical - and their leader is a mulleted sleazebag who makes Die Hard's Harry Ellis seem like Mister Rogers. "Dichotomy" is a word that describes almost everything about this movie, such as the one between Roland and Richie and the one between Roland's career ambitions, i.e. take a safe job at an insurance company or continue to live on the edge by defending scumbags and lowlifes. However, the biggest one is at the core of the movie, which at one moment resembles the kind of thriller about cops and lawyers Sidney Lumet would have directed and something as wild and over the top as Repo Man and, well, Buckaroo Banzai the next. While its eccentricities don't mask how much of a standard crime thriller it is at its core, its bold attempt at doing so still makes it worth watching.

Oh, and Bob Seger's song "Shakedown" is not the title track, unfortunately.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:05 am

Torgo wrote:
Shakedown belongs in this thread. Roland Dalton, Peter Weller's hotheaded, egotistical, edgy lawyer character, wears pretty much the same clothes Buckaroo Banzai wears. There's also Sam Elliott as Richie Marks, a Texan Dirty Harry, or as the movie labels him, a "blue jean cop." They team up to take down corrupt cops who are ripping off drug dealers - crack, that is, to make it topical - and their leader is a mulleted sleazebag who makes Die Hard's Harry Ellis seem like Mister Rogers. "Dichotomy" is a word that describes almost everything about this movie, such as the one between Roland and Richie and the one between Roland's career ambitions, i.e. take a safe job at an insurance company or continue to live on the edge by defending scumbags and lowlifes. However, the biggest one is at the core of the movie, which at one moment resembles the kind of thriller about cops and lawyers Sidney Lumet would have directed and something as wild and over the top as Repo Man and, well, Buckaroo Banzai the next. While its eccentricities don't mask how much of a standard crime thriller it is at its core, its bold attempt at doing so still makes it worth watching.

Oh, and Bob Seger's song "Shakedown" is not the title track, unfortunately.

Oh man, I remember this! I watched anything with Peter Weller in it that came on HBO in the 80s - let's be honest I watched literally everything that came on HBO in the 80s.
I know I liked it when I was 15.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:01 am

Thief wrote:

I agree, but I could've done without the hints of them ending up together. They had no chemistry at all, and if they weren't planning to follow through, then why hint at the possibility.

Right, she asks him to dinner which I can live with I guess but even that was more than I was hoping for. In the beginning we see her frustration at not getting the gig or being taken seriously. I loved that sequence when Cruise keeps insisting that the meeting is over but she refuses to leave the table (because she's his superior officer.) But then Nicholson makes the comment about getting "serviced" by a woman that outranks you, and she's brought back down to size. So at this point I'm thinking "Dammit, movie, you're really gonna blow it if you make her a love interest." Doubly so because the Cruise character was such an enormous douche-bro. So again, going to dinner was too close to a romance for me but maybe that's a concession Sorkin had to make to appease the producers (referencing Stu's post above). I convinced myself that the dinner invite could just as easily have come from Kevin Pollack's character. Not a date, just an excuse to unwind during a stressful case. At least she didn't have to kiss him at any point, so I considered that a victory.

Also, I've spent most of my life ignoring Demi Moore (not on purpose, just happened that way) and I thought she was pretty good here.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 am

Beginning my journey into the John McTiernan filmography:

NOMADS (1986)

Pierce Brosnan vs Adam Ant accompanied by a Ted Nugent/Bill Conti score. That's some '80s for ya.
This wasn't a great film (asking Brosnan to be a French guy was a mistake, for starters), but it's got a lot of pizzazz and some borderline Raimi-esque camera shenanigans going on. If McTiernan's subsequent films are anything like this I'm looking forward to the better ones.

Tomorrow night: My first viewing of Predator

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:18 pm

Wait, are you gonna tell me you haven't seen Die Hard or The Hunt For Red October?

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Wooley wrote:
Wait, are you gonna tell me you haven't seen Die Hard or The Hunt For Red October?

Do I have to publish the embarrassing list again??
I've seen ZERO McTiernan films.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Do I have to publish the embarrassing list again??
I've seen ZERO McTiernan films.

Well, see those two and then stop. Thomas Crown's not really bad but there's no real reason to see it.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:06 pm

Wooley wrote:
Well, see those two and then stop. Thomas Crown's not really bad but there's no real reason to see it.

How about Last Action Hero? I've heard good things.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:15 pm

I don't mind Basic. The plot is twisty nonsense, but it looks pretty nice and Travolta and Jackson have enough swagger to make it reasonably diverting.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:19 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
How about Last Action Hero? I've heard good things.

Silly crap. Nothing wrong with watching it but also no real reason to do so.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:13 pm

Stu wrote:
Seeing you discuss AFGM inspired me to check out its trivia page on IMDB, and according to it...

"An unnamed executive gave Aaron Sorkin a note: "If Tom Cruise and Demi Moore aren't going to sleep with each other, why is Demi Moore a woman?" He responded, "I said the obvious answer: Women have purposes other than to sleep with Tom Cruise." He claimed the incident was his worst experience as a Screenwriter."

Ugggh. Anyway, I remember the movie itself being a pretty solid (if not great) military/legal drama, but one thing that bugged me about it (if memory serves me right) was Lieutenant Markinson (J. T. Walsh's character)
bothering to come out of hiding to apparently try to help out the defense with the case, but then he just... shoots himself instead. In theory, it could've made sense for him to do it due to guilt over failing to protect Santiago, but in context, it came out of essentially nowhere, and just felt like a pointless plot complication that the film failed to justify in order to throw us a narrrative curveball.

So like I said, a good movie otherwise, but that part did get on my nerves some.

This was back when Tom Cruise's character arc usually related to young man "daddy-issues."

Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:22 am

PREDATOR (1987)
Ok, that was a lot of fun. You've all seen it so I don't have anything insightful to say, only that I didn't expect it to look so good. I was especially impressed with one shot that follows a vine that leads to a dead body. Looked like a really complicated shot to my untrained eye. I think this McTiernan guy knows what he's doing. (The bluray I watched was gorgeous, by the way.)
Alas, this movie has not changed my opinion that Arnold was the worst. "Get too da choppaaaaah!" :)
Also, it's hard to dislike a movie with such a cheez-tastic closing credit sequence.
Also, I need more Carl Weathers in my life.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:15 am

Captain Terror wrote:
PREDATOR (1987)
Ok, that was a lot of fun. You've all seen it so I don't have anything insightful to say, only that I didn't expect it to look so good. I was especially impressed with one shot that follows a vine that leads to a dead body. Looked like a really complicated shot to my untrained eye. I think this McTiernan guy knows what he's doing. (The bluray I watched was gorgeous, by the way.)
Alas, this movie has not changed my opinion that Arnold was the worst. "Get too da choppaaaaah!" :)
Also, it's hard to dislike a movie with such a cheez-tastic closing credit sequence.

Long tall Sally... she bittersweet... she got everything that Uncle John need...

gonna have me some fun

gonna have me some fun

gonna have me some fun

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:18 am

Captain Terror wrote:
PREDATOR (1987)

Ever see Action Jackson?

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:22 am

Death Proof wrote:
Ever see Action Jackson?

No, my experience is pretty much limited to the Rocky series (and Arrested Development) but I always liked him.
A Carl Weathers/Vanity combo is intriguing though.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:45 am

Death Proof wrote:

Long tall Sally... she bittersweet... she got everything that Uncle John need...

gonna have me some fun

gonna have me some fun

gonna have me some fun

Just a heads-up:

"Long Tall Sally, she built for speed, she got everything that Uncle John need."

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Is there any reason for me to watch the Alien vs Predator films? Because I don't intend to unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:58 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Is there any reason for me to watch the Alien vs Predator films? Because I don't intend to unless someone convinces me otherwise.

no

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:31 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
No, my experience is pretty much limited to the Rocky series (and Arrested Development) but I always liked him.
A Carl Weathers/Vanity combo is intriguing though.

It's fun... it doesn't take itself too seriously. The tone is sort of like Lethal Weapon.

Check it out.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Wooley wrote:

Just a heads-up:

"Long Tall Sally, she built for speed, she got everything that Uncle John need."

goddamit.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Death Proof wrote:

goddamit.

What? You can't know everything.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:33 am

Captain Terror wrote:
PREDATOR (1987)

These days my go-to (especially on a stormy Friday night) is Predators. I've read a lot of scoffing comments about it ("Remember when someone thought Adrian Brody could be an action star?! LOL!!"), but I really like Alicia Braga, I think that Brody is fine, and the supporting cast is fantastic, as are the action sequences. I won't argue that it's better than Predator, but it's definitely one of my most rewatched films.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:25 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I've had a harder time being able to sit back and enjoy the film without Illegitimate child, series of assaults, total jerk echoing in my head. Weathers is the only one who emerges unscathed. I also have to give a recommendation for McTiernan's director's commentary, in which he is incredibly frank about the challenges of shooting the film and also some of his amusement at how different sequences were interpreted by audiences. The main example I remember is in the sequence where the huge gun is fired into the jungle, which was supposed to reflect the impotence of the men in terms of being able to defend themselves, but yet the scene still gets this "Bang! Bang! WOOOOOO!" reaction from the crowd.

These days my go-to (especially on a stormy Friday night) is Predators. I've read a lot of scoffing comments about it ("Remember when someone thought Adrian Brody could be an action star?! LOL!!"), but I really like Alicia Braga, I think that Brody is fine, and the supporting cast is fantastic, as are the action sequences. I won't argue that it's better than Predator, but it's definitely one of my most rewatched films.

Coincidentally, something made me google "Schwarzenegger grope" today because I couldn't remember what exactly he was accused of, or why he'd gotten a pass. ("Gotten a pass" meaning he wasn't removed from any projects or anything.) But yeah, some of it was pretty bad which is another factor I'll use in my lonely quest to single-handedly convince everyone that he should not have been a movie star. Seriously, Ferrigno could've done the "get to the choppa" thing and he's never molested anyone.
(edit: before anyone gets offended, I'm half-joking here)

And actually, Brody has bugged me ever since the Halle Berry thing. I mean it's not the worst case of assault or anything, it was just inappropriate and what really cheesed me off was his "you're welcome" attitude about it. Forgot his actual quote now but it was obnoxious.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:00 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I mean it's not the worst case of assault or anything

Isn't it sad how low the bar is?

At some back to school training we ("Ladies") were told that because of #MeToo we needed to make sure that we weren't sexually harassed by making a point of dressing conservatively. A-ha! *SIGH*

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:52 am

Takoma1 wrote:

At some back to school training we ("Ladies") were told that because of #MeToo we needed to make sure that we weren't sexually harassed by making a point of dressing conservatively. A-ha! *SIGH*

Seems you wasted your money on all those back-to-school tube tops.
I remember the coverage of the Brody thing at the time painted it as this great moment of youthful exuberance. I just looked up the clip and there's actually actresses in the audience applauding, with "wasn't that cute" expressions on their faces. I wouldn't say I was especially "woke" back in '03 but it just rubbed me the wrong way and Brody has sort of bugged me ever since. I mean his work is usually fine, but like you were saying about the first film, there's that nagging thing rattling in your head as you watch.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:44 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Come on, that DIDN'T happen! Where do you work?!

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:18 am

Wooley--Carl Weathers went to St. Aug. WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THIS?????

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:24 am

Wooley wrote:
Come on, that DIDN'T happen! Where do you work?!

At a public elementary school. And while overall I really like my school district, this was such a baffling way to address district concerns about not having any scandals. We were told that there was a meeting with administrators and "a team of lawyers", and that they were the source of the message. But frankly I was so stressed out about trying to get ready for the school year (and also not really comfortable contradicting a superior at an all staff meeting) that I didn't say anything.

Like, wouldn't it just be simpler to say "Treat your co-workers with respect, and if you're not sure if something is appropriate to say at work, just don't say it." We have three or four people who tend to say (in my opinion) ribald/vulgar things at work (two men and two women), and none of that behavior has anything to do with how anyone is dressed, it just has to do with relentlessly double-entendre-ing anything within their hearing.

But back to the 80s (sort of)--anyone planning to see the new Predator? I'm honestly going back and forth on it for various reasons.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:38 am

Takoma1 wrote:
anyone planning to see the new Predator? I'm honestly going back and forth on it for various reasons.

I'll be watching the sequels later this week, so I'm thinking I'll go see the new one after that just to keep the ball rolling.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:49 am

Takoma1 wrote:
anyone planning to see the new Predator? I'm honestly going back and forth on it for various reasons.

I'm looking forward to putting it off for some indeterminate impulse watch.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Wooley--Carl Weathers went to St. Aug. WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THIS?????

I don't know. I won't lie to you, even my friends who aren't really movie "buffs" know this.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 am

Takoma1 wrote:

Women should know that their place is in the kitchen.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:36 am

Admission: I like the word "lady", and don't find it to be inherently demeaning or subjugating, and I really would hate to see it fall victim.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:41 am

Are The Keep or L.A. Takedown worth tracking down? They're the only Michael Mann movies I haven't seen yet. I'm morbidly curious to see Takedown to see how it compares to Heat.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:26 pm

I thought The Keep was pretty whatever. if you're a big Michael Mann fan, you're probably going to track it down regardless of what I say (hopefully in widescreen) but it's still not great. but not horrendous: the cinematography is good, Tangerine Dream soundtrack is good....that's about it. maybe it would be slightly better if it wasn't so heavily cut by the studio but I wouldn't bet on a more complete version coming to DVD anytime soon.

I like this anecdote from Scott Glenn on the making of:

Quote:
No, I never saw [the director's cut]. But, you know, the big problem with that film was that Michael hired this guy named Wally Veevers, who was a brilliant special effects guy. He was the guy who did the light show in [2001: A] Space Odyssey, and he was the first guy to make Superman fly. He was, like, the most brilliant special effects guy in the world, and he was hired even though he wasn’t well at the time. I think he had a bad heart. But we shot a lot of stuff that was against black velvet in these big sound stages, hanging from piano wires and flying around, and a lot of people would, like, look at the footage and say, “Well, isn’t this supposed to be against a green background? Or a blue background? What are you doing?” And Veevers would just point to his head and say, “Never mind. I’ve got it all worked out.”

Well, a day after we wrapped the film, he died, I believe of a heart attack… and we had all this footage, and no one knew what to do with it. So the end of the film, you know how the monster goes from being nothing, to sort of a creature made out of smoke, to finally being what you see at the end of the film? What we wound up with was something that one critic said looked like the Michelin Man. Now, you can talk to Michael about it, and he might tell you that I’m full of shit, because I just have the perspective of an actor, but what I heard was that they took that footage to, like, George’s [Lucas] people, to Industrial Light & Magic, and I forget the name of the outfit in France, but all of these special effects guys said, “Who did this?” And when they were told who did it, they said, “Well, that’s like bringing us a theorem on atomic energy that Einstein was trying to figure out when he died. We don’t know what Veevers was going to do with it!”

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:22 am

Torgo wrote:
Are The Keep or L.A. Takedown worth tracking down? They're the only Michael Mann movies I haven't seen yet. I'm morbidly curious to see Takedown to see how it compares to Heat.

The Keep is kind of a mess, I read something recently about its production that kind of explained why but I can't remember. It's one of those movies that you have to watch it for its positives, which are legitimately positive, and just ride out the negatives, which are legitimately negative.
But, like, I don't want my 2 hours back or anything.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:56 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I thought The Keep was pretty whatever. if you're a big Michael Mann fan, you're probably going to track it down regardless of what I say (hopefully in widescreen) but it's still not great. but not horrendous: the cinematography is good, Tangerine Dream soundtrack is good....that's about it. maybe it would be slightly better if it wasn't so heavily cut by the studio but I wouldn't bet on a more complete version coming to DVD anytime soon.

I like this anecdote from Scott Glenn on the making of:

That's hilarious. I believe it.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:57 am

Wooley wrote:
That's hilarious. I believe it.

Scott Glenn is a fucking boss.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:05 am

I haven't seen The Keep, but I like what I've seen of Scott Glenn's action hero phase in the '80s. Man on Fire and The Challenge are both solid flicks, and the latter has a nice Mifune performance and choreography by Steven Seagal.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 560 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next