It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ] 
 Corrierino Reunion Campfire 
 Corrierino Reunion Campfire

Now that newcomers have ruined the forum and buried all of the good posts deep in the bowels of the forum, we should plan a day or week when everyone that we can contact comes back and posts and convinces all of the newcomers that they really are ruining everything and that the "back in my day" talk is true.

I won't attend, obviously, because that would be out of character. I will leave some chocolate on the ground for s'mores, though. It'll probably be a melted, mold-devoured mess by the time you all get here, but I tried.

What does it matter, anyway? Filmwise sent me a PM, I sent one back, and it is still unread. Oh the humanity!

Since I won't be here, I will take this opportunity to update my list for the Consensus:

Delete all prior entries, list only L'ami de mon amie (Rohmer, 1987)

Enjoy!

Fri May 04, 2018 1:58 pm
Post Re: Corrierino Reunion Campfire

I think that cottonwoods are terrible trees to own.

Fri May 04, 2018 9:45 pm

depends, are you selling the cottonwood? I've never sold softwood myself though I've been told of the challenges.

(assuming you classify cottonwood as a softwood by dint of being poor quality hardwood)

Fri May 04, 2018 10:36 pm

We talkin' narrowleaf cottonwood, eastern cottonwood, swamp cottonwood, Fremont cottonwood or black cottonwood? Don't come at me with none of that balm-of-Gilead nonsense cuz that there is a hybrid.

Fri May 04, 2018 10:55 pm

Filthy damn things and they are blooming soon. I won't be able to breathe for a month... :down:

Fri May 04, 2018 10:56 pm

You know what's good? Bacon. Bacon is pretty spiffy.

Fri May 04, 2018 11:22 pm

Never did hear of no cottonwood-smoked bacon, but I ain't seen everything.

Fri May 04, 2018 11:33 pm

LEAVES wrote:
What does it matter, anyway? Filmwise sent me a PM, I sent one back, and it is still unread. Oh the humanity!
I hear you. No one reads my pms either. :(

LEAVES, have you seen La leggenda di Kaspar Hauser? I have a feeling you would like it.

Also, no one's ruined anything, but I like the reunion idea. We should post the best of Corrierino here.

I'll start: ISOLATION

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sat May 05, 2018 1:56 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I hear you. No one reads my pms either. :(

LEAVES, have you seen La leggenda di Kaspar Hauser? I have a feeling you would like it.

Also, no one's ruined anything, but I like the reunion idea. We should post the best of Corrierino here.

I'll start: ISOLATION

I read and respond to your pms!

Also, Isolation was a great thread. One of my favorites. :fresh:

Sat May 05, 2018 10:50 am
Profile WWW

Hank wrote:
I read and respond to your pms!
Yes, you do! :heart:

Quote:
Also, Isolation was a great thread. One of my favorites. :fresh:
It's a good re-read. Jedi's threads are so pretty!

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sat May 05, 2018 12:38 pm

This reunion is very sparsely attended. :(

No one else has a favorite? I'll do another one then...

Abyss I
Abyss II
Abyss III

Thu May 24, 2018 12:22 pm

I dug 88 Takes but a lot of the clips are down.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=375

Thu May 24, 2018 1:26 pm

Brrr, it's chilly in here. Someone throw some more Stephen Frears movies into the fire.

Fri May 25, 2018 1:45 am

Torgo wrote:
Brrr, it's chilly in here. Someone throw some more Stephen Frears movies into the fire.

The Rob Zombie ones burn better.

Fri May 25, 2018 4:15 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I dug 88 Takes but a lot of the clips are down.
Oh, wow, yeah. I'd almost forgotten about that one! I learned a lot in that thread.

Fri May 25, 2018 5:43 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
This reunion is very sparsely attended. :(

No one else has a favorite? I'll do another one then...

Abyss I
Abyss II
Abyss III
I always remember this place more for the online socialization rather than the discussion threads, and I was nervous about sharing my old Cowboy Bebop review thread in here because it's one of the few one-time things I remember here (naturally, since I was the one who made it, heh), so I was afraid it would come off as egotistical linking to one of my own projects, but I might as well do it at this point, so here goes nothing!: viewtopic.php?p=553446#p553446

Sat May 26, 2018 2:16 pm

88 Takes was a high point for sure. Collaberino was also a ton of fun.

I'm not really sure when the sea change happened. I only post in a handful of threads nowadays, and my two threads are basically blogs I continue for my own benefit (hoping someone else gets something out of it -- I also post the Learning to See photos concurrently on my Facebook page).

Jedi is the only forum member that I have contact with outside of the forum. He somehow tracked me down on Facebook and added me before he stopped posting. I wouldn't mind having additional forms of contact with other old-timers (still posting or not), if anyone is interested.

Sat May 26, 2018 5:20 pm

*sits down by the fire* *pokes it with a stick*

Sun May 27, 2018 7:12 am

Von Samuel wrote:

*Pours water on the fire. Walks away.*

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sun May 27, 2018 2:40 pm

I like Gort's remakes thread and Macrology's photo thread.

Sun May 27, 2018 3:03 pm

Macrology wrote:
I'm not really sure when the sea change happened. I only post in a handful of threads nowadays, and my two threads are basically blogs I continue for my own benefit (hoping someone else gets something out of it -- I also post the Learning to See photos concurrently on my Facebook page).

Jedi is the only forum member that I have contact with outside of the forum. He somehow tracked me down on Facebook and added me before he stopped posting. I wouldn't mind having additional forms of contact with other old-timers (still posting or not), if anyone is interested.
I get a lot of enjoyment out of Learning To See, so keep it up forever, pretty please :) And I'd be willing to PM you the link to my Facebook profile, if you want to be friends there as well!

Mon May 28, 2018 9:36 am

Von Samuel wrote:
:)

Wed May 30, 2018 5:56 am

MadMan wrote:
*Pours water on the fire. Walks away.*

Aw, I was gonna make Smores.

Wed May 30, 2018 6:55 am

Shucks, y'all. I'll definitely keep Learning to See going.

Yeah, anyone who would like to establish other methods of contact is welcome to PM me.

Wed May 30, 2018 8:21 am

I have your phone number. Take that, Jedi!

Wed May 30, 2018 10:49 am

Oh shit, that's true! I forgot you had my number. You're the only forum member I've actually met.

Wed May 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Macrology wrote:
Oh shit, that's true! I forgot you had my number. You're the only forum member I've actually met.

May as well forget about the rest, I'm probably the best one to meet anyway.

Thu May 31, 2018 7:19 am

LEAVES already mentioned it, but here's another blast from the past – our forum consensus list from 2012. Many of the pictures are missing, which makes it hard to read at times, but I recommend this page, which has everyone's individual lists:

Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:39 am

That was a great thread... quite the undertaking!

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:16 am
Profile WWW

Wasn't it fun? Such a great collaboration!

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:24 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Wasn't it fun? Such a great collaboration!

It really was. I'm not really sure what is going on with my list... looking at it now just reinforces the idea that I shouldn't try ranking films :D

But the others make for such a good database for future watches!

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:00 am
Profile WWW

Also got to browsing through old posts and stumbled upon Char and Kurz's short-lived but wonderful thread on the Czechoslovak New Wave. As a huge fan of the movement (and Eastern European cinema generally), that one stood out and had some great discussions.

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:00 am

Death Proof wrote:

Aw, I was gonna make Smores.

Well now I feel like an asshole. Smores are good.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:07 pm

Macrology wrote:
Also got to browsing through old posts and stumbled upon Char and Kurz's short-lived but wonderful thread on the Czechoslovak New Wave. As a huge fan of the movement (and Eastern European cinema generally), that one stood out and had some great discussions.
Oh, yeah. That's another great one!

Hank wrote:
But the others make for such a good database for future watches!
Yep. I'm still working through them!

Also, nothing wrong with your list! Ranking is always ridiculous. But I still do it. :)

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:12 pm

Hey

I've watched like 5 films in the past year. Aren't I special?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Come back to the film-side, Bandy!

Yours is another great thread I miss.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:53 am

That comment prompted me to read Bandy's thread for the first time, and goddamn did I miss out. Lovely stuff. I'm going to have to check some of those out now.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:04 pm

This place still exists? :shock:

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:19 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
LEAVES already mentioned it, but here's another blast from the past – our forum consensus list from 2012. Many of the pictures are missing, which makes it hard to read at times, but I recommend this page, which has everyone's individual lists:

the host I used for that pooped the bed, it kind of stinks.

That thread was fun to make though.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:40 pm

Birdie Num Nums wrote:
This place still exists? :shock:
Birdie!!!

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:00 pm

tbh, I find that films are mostly in the past now, but part of that is with a full-time job and trying to move art, I feel like I need to be discerning in what gets my time. Hereditary was the most recent thing I watched and really liked.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:14 pm

Das wrote:
tbh, I find that films are mostly in the past now, but part of that is with a full-time job and trying to move art, I feel like I need to be discerning in what gets my time. Hereditary was the most recent thing I watched and really liked.

I get that. Since I started working in the film industry it kind of killed a lot of the magic of watching films for me so I don't consume nearly as much as I used to. It's just hard to switch off the part of my brain that's analyzing every shot from a technical perspective. Only things I've seen this year that really got me excited were Hereditary and Annihilation.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:14 am

Birdie Num Nums wrote:

I get that. Since I started working in the film industry it kind of killed a lot of the magic of watching films for me so I don't consume nearly as much as I used to. It's just hard to switch off the part of my brain that's analyzing every shot from a technical perspective. Only things I've seen this year that really got me excited were Hereditary and Annihilation.

The thing for me is that making my own art has become more fulfilling than engaging with others art, there's interesting perspective and lessons in.others work but most times I'd rather think and focus ony own work than the work of others. Also, from the age of 12 to 24 I probably watched in the range of 4-5000 unique films, burn out had to come sometime. I.look at a lot of photography, paintings and drawings by others these days.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:00 am

Das wrote:
the host I used for that pooped the bed, it kind of stinks.
It does stink! Photobucket did the same to my images. (Though I just found out they changed ownership and reversed the new policy.)

Quote:
That thread was fun to make though.
It's still a great thread. :)

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:07 am

Another Jedi thread I miss:

The Berlin School and Beyond

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:32 am

Das wrote:
Still good to see you back here, even if it's just a temporary thing. As for 2018 in film, my favorite of the year so far is probably Black Panther; did you ever see it? Yeah, yeah I know it's like the billionth superhero movie Hollywood's put out in about the past 15 years or so, but it's so different from the typical kind of thing you often get from this genre; the characters are so well-developed, and that Afro-futurist vision of Wakanda, baby!

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:05 am

Birdie Num Nums wrote:
Since I started working in the film industry it kind of killed a lot of the magic of watching films for me so I don't consume nearly as much as I used to. It's just hard to switch off the part of my brain that's analyzing every shot from a technical perspective.

Exactly. I can't count the times I've cringed at the logistics of getting a certain cinematic scene done, and I've been so glad I didn't have to be the one to do it! 8-)

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:38 am

My smartphone has really killed off both my film-watching at home and my foruming. Twitter is addictive but something is really missing. Good to see this place is still standing, at least.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:36 am

Stu wrote:
Still good to see you back here, even if it's just a temporary thing. As for 2018 in film, my favorite of the year so far is probably Black Panther; did you ever see it? Yeah, yeah I know it's like the billionth superhero movie Hollywood's put out in about the past 15 years or so, but it's so different from the typical kind of thing you often get from this genre; the characters are so well-developed, and that Afro-futurist vision of Wakanda, baby!

I werked on it.

It was aight. It had a lot of cool things going on but I still dunno if Marvel is ever going to be able to stick the landing on their third acts.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:03 am

Birdie Num Nums wrote:
I werked on it.

It was aight. It had a lot of cool things going on but I still dunno if Marvel is ever going to be able to stick the landing on their third acts.
Wow, really? What the hell did you do on it, man? And I guess the 3rd act of BP wasn't amazing or anything, but I still really liked it on the whole; so much more political/emotional than the typical Marvel movie, you know? I'm definitely excited to see them start to take some more risks with their beloved franchise, no doubt about it.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]