It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Con is On (2018) 
Post The Con is On (2018)

This is like those Adam Sandler films. You know, those films that shouldn't exist and only seem to exist to give a group of people a paycheck? Parker Poser, Stephen Fry, Uma, Roth, and a bunch other aging stars affecting unconvincing posh accents. This feels more like a tax write-off than an actual film. How does this stuff get made? How does stuff this bad get green lit?

If you don't know what I am talking about, do yourself a favor and never find out.

Mon May 07, 2018 8:47 am
Post Re: The Con is On (2018)

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
If you don't know what I am talking about, do yourself a favor and never find out.
Done and done.

Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 am

It's like someone took the tagline to Bowfinger and made Gambit.

Mon May 07, 2018 10:18 am

OK, so I watched the trailer. I'm guessing somebody set out to make an Asylum-style straight-to-video cash grab based on the upcoming Ocean's 8 and things spiraled out of control in the casting department once they signed one of these slumming over-the-hill actors. Does that seem about right?

Mon May 07, 2018 10:26 am

And now I've read the Wikipedia page. So this is a piece of shit that was sitting on the shelf for a couple years waiting for something like Ocean's 8 to come along and create sufficient market confusion. I think I've gotten to the bottom of that mystery.

Mon May 07, 2018 10:28 am

BL wrote:
And now I've read the Wikipedia page. So this is a piece of shit that was sitting on the shelf for a couple years waiting for something like Ocean's 8 to come along and create sufficient market confusion. I think I've gotten to the bottom of that mystery.

Doesn't answer how the thing got green lit in the first place. I totally get why it was shelved and I understand the idea of market confusion. But why did these actors sign up for this? Did they read the script? Was anyone watching the acting? Everyone was chewing the scenery in a really bad, unfunny way. These are people who are otherwise, more or less, competent players. How does everyone just go into Ed Wood territory like this?

Mon May 07, 2018 11:34 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
But why did these actors sign up for this?
I think you're severely underestimating the degree to which these actors are over the hill or willing to slum it for a paycheck. There was a point at which Tim Roth was expecting Marvel money from his role in that Hulk movie. That didn't work out, so here he is. I mean, he's fresh off a flattering role as Sepp Blatter. Can you imagine how sad that is?

Mon May 07, 2018 11:39 am

I don't know whose presence here is worse: Sofia Vergara who tried to be a thing a few years back with that Reese Witherspoon film and is now doing TV and shampoo commercials, or Stephen Fry, the veteran British presence from Jeeves and Wooster, Blackadder, and V for Vendetta who did this film before doing The Great Indoors.

Tue May 08, 2018 2:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]