It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #9: The House (Sat 05/12) 
Post Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #9: The House (Sat 05/12)

Corrie Class Trip is a project where we rotate the selection of a title for group watches on an appointed day/date to then discuss [previous iterations linked below]. We welcome all to participate and share their thoughts and feelings! The ninth viewing for Round 3 is scheduled for Saturday, May 12th. Please post about the film itself and your experience with it in this thread, and any off-topic posts about the series itself in the Class Trip Discussion Thread.

Thanks and enjoy!!!

xoxo,
your classmates

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Saturday, May 12th, 2018

The House AKA Namai (Šarūnas Bartas, 1997)

IMDb wrote:
A ramshackle mansion in the woods: individuals of all type, age and condition eat, roam or rest inside. But always in strict silence.

Past Trips, Junior Year:

#1 - La maternelle (1933, Jean Benoît-Lévy & Marie Epstein, France) | wigwam
#2 - Time and Winds (2006, Reha Erdem, Turkey) | Oxnard Montalvo
#3 - Clean, Shaven (1993, Lodge Kerrigan, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#4 - Diabeł (1972, Andrzej Żuławski, Poland) | Oxnard Montalvo
#5 - Black Friday (2004, Anurag Kashyap, India) | Rock
#6 - Schizopolis (1996, Steven Soderbergh, USA) | Slentert
#7 - Hearts and Minds (1974, Peter Davis, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#8 - Xtro (1982, Harry Bromley Davenport, UK) | crumbsroom

Past Trips, Sophomore Year:

#1 - The Worthless (1982, Mika Kaurismäki, Finland) | snapper
#2 - Shopping for Fangs (1997, Quentin Lee and Justin Lin, USA) | takeshi
#3 - The Heart of the Wise Lives in the House of Sorrow (2009, Marin Malešević, Serbia) | Shieldmaiden
#4 - The Forbidden Quest (1993, Peter Delpeut, Netherlands) | kopello
#5 - São Bernardo (1972, Leon Hirszman, Brazil) | Bandy Greensacks
#6 - Evdokia (1971, Alexis Damianos, Greece) | Epistemophobia
#7 - The Ball at the Anjō House (1947, Kōzaburō Yoshimura, Japan) | snapper
#8 - Sérail (1976, Eduardo de Gregorio, France) | takeshi
#9 - Passport for a Corpse (1962, Mario Gariazzo, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#10 - Aksuat (1997, Serik Aprimov, Kazakhstan) | Shieldmaiden
#11 - Dangerously Excited (2011, Koo, South Korea) | wigwam
#12 - Himala (1982, Ishmael Bernal, Philippines) | snapper

Past Trips, Freshman Year:

#1 - Distant Journey (1949, Alfréd Radok, Czechoslovakia) | snapper
#2 - Nanami: The Inferno of First Love (1968, Susumu Hani, Japan) | Das
#3 - The Policewoman (2003, Joaquim Sapinho, Portugal) | charulata
#4 - Freeze, Die, Come to Life! (1989, Vitali Kanevsky, USSR) | Bandy Greensacks
#5 - The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974, Francesco Barilli, Italy) | Trip
#6 - Weddings and Babies (1958, Morris Engel, USA) | snapper
#7 - The Man with Three Coffins (1987, Lee Jang-ho, South Korea) | Notes from Underground
#8 - Malina (1991, Werner Schroeter, Germany) | Shieldmaiden
#9 - Bad Luck (1960, Andrzej Munk, Poland) | B-Side
#10 - The Girl with the Suitcase (1961, Valerio Zurlini, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#11 - The Engagement of Anna (1972, Pantelis Voulgaris, Greece) | BandyGreensacks
#12 - Our Neighbor, Miss Yae (1934. Yasujirō Shimazu, Japan) | snapper[/quote][/quote]

Mon May 07, 2018 2:17 pm
Post Re: Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #9: The House (Sat 05/12)

if anyone can't find this movie on their own, PM me your email address and I should be able to take care of the rest.

Mon May 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Love this movie! I'll rewatch it for this thread.

(I'm going to try to catch up with a couple of the other class trips as well.)

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Wed May 09, 2018 11:03 pm

I might have to catch this one a week or two later. My computer just went kaput.

Thu May 10, 2018 2:29 am

Just wanted to let you know that I got the file, Ox. Thanks for sending it. I won't be home on Saturday, but I'll be sure to watch this on Sunday.

Thu May 10, 2018 6:51 am

Perfect time for everyone to watch this. Right during the Cannes Film Festival.

Thu May 10, 2018 9:09 am

some quick thoughts before I fall asleep: I son't know enough about Lithuania to put this in an social-political context, but maybe that's okay since I can just put my own meaning onto the images: lots of malaise and lost splendor and terror for the future, probably a more artisitc representation of what Akerman's subjects in D'Est. and they are very arresting images and I'm glad I found them compelling since that's more or less all we're given. nothing but "mood".

I
'll prick thisu p tomorrow

Sun May 13, 2018 4:38 pm

I think it was a mistake to watch this one while being sleepy.

I'll need to rewatch this one before I can say something meaningful about it.

Sun May 13, 2018 7:28 pm
Profile WWW

I have had dreams that were like this movie.

though I'm never sure if those are the dreams I'm glad to wake up from or not.... :-/

Mon May 14, 2018 1:27 pm

this may not have been the best movie to have a robust discussion with. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my initial instinct was to do a movie by one of the filmmakers who recently passed away e.g. Takahata, Forman, Taviani, dos Santos, Olmi, etc. but I did need to clear some movies off my hard drive and this was one of them

Fri May 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
this may not have been the best movie to have a robust discussion with.
Aw. It ought to be endlessly discuss-able, since it's so enigmatic. Oh, well.

Sorry I didn't stick to the date decreed, but I did re-watch it! This definitely falls into my category of mysteriously engaging cinema. Its wandering structure is deceptive, I think. There's something about the visual rhythm and the sound that completely hold my attention. It's a little less baffling the second time through. Not that I know much about the politics and history he's referencing, but I'd already decided on despair as the emotional key, and that helped. The moments of violence are less shocking when you see them ahead of time in the cried-out faces and absurd behavior. I keep thinking of the parties people threw during the Black Death. Here's a bit from Boccaccio:

Quote:
Others...affirmed that drinking beer, enjoying oneself, and going around singing and ruckus-raising and satisfying all one's appetites whenever possible and laughing at the whole bloody thing was the best medicine; and these people put into practice what they heartily advised to others: day and night, going from tavern to tavern, drinking without moderation or measure, and many times going from house to house drinking up a storm and only listening to and talking about pleasing things. These parties were easy to find because everyone behaved as if they were going to die soon, so they cared nothing about themselves nor their belongings; as a result, most houses became common property, and any stranger passing by could enter and use the house as if he were its master.

Oh, and your reference to the Akerman got me thinking. A Casa would be an amazing double feature with Muratova's The Asthenic Syndrome. The tragic flip-side of her comic coin.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Book Shelf

Tue May 22, 2018 6:41 am

that's not a bad connection (the Black Death parties) although knowing that this is supposed to get into a post-Soviet state of mind, I felt like the people in the movie behaved less like they could die at any moment and more like they just survived a great rapture. and there comes the despair.

everyone's probably just waiting for the remaining Avengers to undo Thanos's great balancing. ha ha ha timely reference!

Tue May 22, 2018 8:49 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
everyone's probably just waiting for the remaining Avengers to undo Thanos's great balancing. ha ha ha timely reference!
Hahaha!

But, I don't think it's survivor's guilt or whatever...

they are dying at the end, aren't they? The tanks? The shooting?

Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 am

oh yeah....
if they aren't meant to reference some historical event, the military could be representative of their hastening demise (coming to sweep away the leftovers) now that there's nothing left to live for. or coming establish a new order by force. or not, I'm just spitballing. the house-dwellers just don't seem to be approaching their lack of a future with much elan aside from a few fireworks. but it's still an apocalyptic ending, assuming it is meant to undercut the hopefulness in the closing voiceover.

Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
...assuming it is meant to undercut the hopefulness in the closing voiceover.
I believe the images!

Wed May 23, 2018 4:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]