It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Thief's Journey into the Musical Unknown 
Post Thief's Journey into the Musical Unknown

In an effort to venture into listening new things, I'd like for you to recommend me three albums you consider favorites, or that are a "must" for any music fan.

FWIW, my favorite genre is rock, and that's what I usually listen to most of the time. Grew up with 80's rock, but in the last years I've gravitated more towards 70's rock. However, I don't mind the genre. I also like hip hop, r&b, salsa, merengue, classical, etc. Things I'm usually not up to are very extreme death metal, reggaeton, or Mexican band music, but if you think it's worth it, I might check it out.

I'm trying to challenge myself to get out of the box of what I usually listen to, so hit me! I'll share my thoughts here.

The Nameless One
  • Why? - Alopecia
  • Owen Pallett - Heartland
  • The Mae-Shi - HLLLYH

John Dumbear
  • Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler - Neck and Neck
  • The Refreshments - Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big & Bouncy
  • The Wailin' Jennys - 40 Days

Torgo
  • Blood Ceremony - Lord of Misrule
  • Purson - The Circle and the Blue Door
  • Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Blood Lust

Rock
  • Mahavishnu Orchestra - The Inner Mounting Flame
  • Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
  • Tank - Filth Hounds of Hades

Gort
  • Synergy - Cords
  • Isao Tomita - The Planets

Takoma1
  • Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams
  • Antony and the Johnsons - The Crying Light
  • Frank Turner - Poetry of the Deed

Death Proof
  • The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me
  • Roy Orbison - Black and White Night
  • Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

ski petrol
  • The Replacements - Let It Be
  • R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant
  • My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Jinnistan
  • King Crimson - Lark's Tongues in Aspic
  • Can - Soundtracks
  • Neu! - Neu!

crumbsroom
  • Esquivel - Music from a Sparkling Planet
  • NRBQ - Scraps
  • John Fahey - The Transfiguration of Blind Joe Death

LEAVES
  • Buke and Gase - General Dome
  • The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
  • Souls of Mischief - '93 'til Infinity

Charles
  • Hector Zazou and Katie Jane Garside - Corps Électriqes
  • Blank Banshee - Mega
  • Sarah Fimm - Nexus

Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 am
Post Re: Thief's Journey into the Musical Unknown

Three is tough, I'm doing three and a bonus selection for your rock tendencies

WHY?: Alopecia (standout track: The Hollows)
Owen Pallett: Heartland (standout track: The Great Elsewhere)
The Mae-Shi: HLLLYH (standout track: Run to your Grave)

BONUS for fans of chunky ass 70s styled rock metal badassness ft two dudes making as much noise as humanly possible who aren't called Death From Above 1979 or Japandroids
Indian Handcrafts: Civil Disobedience for Losers

Wed May 23, 2018 1:04 am

"Neck and Neck" - Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins
Two great guitarists that play off each other very well and seem to have a great time doing it.. When first discovered this and thought, how can two diverse styles can mesh seamlessly. One of my favorite "morning" albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCePhRY9Q8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8kQghy30Cg

Wed May 23, 2018 1:09 am

Here's some modern psychedelic rock you might like:

Blood Ceremony - Lord of Misrule
Purson - The Circle and the Blue Door
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Blood Lust

Wed May 23, 2018 1:15 am

"Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big & Bouncy" - The Refreshments
A band known doing the theme to "King of the Hill". Blending a tex-mex sound with fun and clever lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX4FkqL2FuE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCm-FSPy0bA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX4FkqL2FuE

Wed May 23, 2018 1:17 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Three is tough, I'm doing three and a bonus selection for your rock tendencies

I know three is tough, but getting pummeled with lots of Top 10 lists guarantees that most of them will get lost. I wanted to get some concise recs. Thanks!

Wed May 23, 2018 1:55 am

Thief wrote:
I know three is tough, but getting pummeled with lots of Top 10 lists guarantees that most of them will get lost. I wanted to get some concise recs. Thanks!
NP, this is as concise as my mind will allow. I'm listening to them now and have some preamble

WHY?: Alopecia - Dark, disturbing, laced with overwhelming beauty and honesty. It's very dense and could lose you quickly, it is not an easy journey (Good Friday is a huge test, I implore you to listen past it). However, there's no album like it, to the point where after all these years I am still largely without words in wake of it all. It's singular, free of genre and boundary... though composed with humble means

Owen Pallett: Heartland - Known for handling the strings section of The Arcade Fire, and the artist formally known as "Final Fantasy" before getting hit with a cease and desist from Square-Enix, Owen Pallett composes marvelous soundscapes with a violin, synth, and a loop pedal. It sounds classical but is infused with modern sensibility, I just think the guy is a genius musician whose entire catalog is worth devouring. Watching him perform without a band is incredible stuff. Heartland is his peak, imo, the narrative of the album is wonderful: A lad named Lewis goes on a RPG adventure and Owen is the Dark Lord of Evil, with backstory of Owen's plunge into darkness all revolving around being raised in Canada

The Mae-Shi: HLLLYH - This is a crazy album, hardcore synthpunk with a manic almost adolescent attitude in composing a giant rant about God and religion. It's marvelous. Plus, they remix the entire album into a 11 minute song half way through the damn thing and it's, like, this cheesy but awesome dance track. Who even does that? You should probably just skip that song til the end. This is my favorite album to throw on when I need to bounce around and take life by the balls, I love these guys

Indian Handcrafts: Civil Disobedience for Losers - Two man hard rock act from Canada. First track is called "Bruce Lee". What more do you need to know?

Wed May 23, 2018 2:46 am

The Nameless One wrote:
NP, this is as concise as my mind will allow. I'm listening to them now and have some preamble

WHY?: Alopecia - Dark, disturbing, laced with overwhelming beauty and honesty. It's very dense and could lose you quickly, it is not an easy journey (Good Friday is a huge test, I implore you to listen past it). However, there's no album like it, to the point where after all these years I am still largely without words in wake of it all. It's singular, free of genre and boundary... though composed with humble means

Owen Pallett: Heartland - Known for handling the strings section of The Arcade Fire, and the artist formally known as "Final Fantasy" before getting hit with a cease and desist from Square-Enix, Owen Pallett composes marvelous soundscapes with a violin, synth, and a loop pedal. It sounds classical but is infused with modern sensibility, I just think the guy is a genius musician whose entire catalog is worth devouring. Watching him perform without a band is incredible stuff. Heartland is his peak, imo, the narrative of the album is wonderful: A lad named Lewis goes on a RPG adventure and Owen is the Dark Lord of Evil, with backstory of Owen's plunge into darkness all revolving around being raised in Canada

The Mae-Shi: HLLLYH - This is a crazy album, hardcore synthpunk with a manic almost adolescent attitude in composing a giant rant about God and religion. It's marvelous. Plus, they remix the entire album into a 11 minute song half way through the damn thing and it's, like, this cheesy but awesome dance track. Who even does that? You should probably just skip that song til the end. This is my favorite album to throw on when I need to bounce around and take life by the balls, I love these guys

Indian Handcrafts: Civil Disobedience for Losers - Two man hard rock act from Canada. First track is called "Bruce Lee". What more do you need to know?

I'm intrigued by all of them.

Wed May 23, 2018 3:07 am

John Dumbear wrote:

Two great guitarists that play off each other very well and seem to have a great time doing it.. When first discovered this and thought, how can two diverse styles can mesh seamlessly. One of my favorite "morning" albums.

Definitely one of my favorite albums.

Wed May 23, 2018 3:30 am

Have you listened to any Mahavishnu Orchestra? Their first two albums (The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire) should be easy to get into given your rock background, but should also be excellent horizon expanders.

Wed May 23, 2018 8:20 am

Cords. Synergy. (Larry Fast, 1978)

Sort of classical synthesizer compositions, with poppish overtones. Not like anything else I ever bought to listen to.

And if you like that, actual classical style music by Gustav Holst re-orchestrated by Isao Tomita:
The Planets (1976)

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Wed May 23, 2018 9:14 am

Lord Huron--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGfw-8Nf_w

I love the whole album so much, but Ends of the Earth, Time to Run, She Lit a Fire, and Brother are maybe my favorites.

Antony and the Johnsons--The Crying Light or I am a Bird Now

I can't get enough of him--just such a different sound. I adore Epilepsy is Dancing. (He also does a cover of Crazy in Love that I, well, love.)

Frank Turner--Poetry of the Deed.

For a long time this was the CD that woke me up in the morning. I feel like the songs are funny and also clear-eyed.

Not CDs, but here are some one-off songs that got me really into their singers:

Trampled by Turtles--Wait So Long (they also do an amazing cover of Arcade Fire's Rebellion)

Gossip--Heavy Cross (I was already a fan after seeing them perform at my college in like 2002, but this song is something else).

Dar Williams--Cool as I Am ("And then I go outside to join the others. I am the others" *shiver* YES)

NASA--Spacious Thoughts

Ben Howard--Depth Over Distance

Wailin' Jennys--Deeper Well (Emmylou Harris cover)

Wed May 23, 2018 9:43 am

Rock wrote:
Have you listened to any Mahavishnu Orchestra? Their first two albums (The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire) should be easy to get into given your rock background, but should also be excellent horizon expanders.

Big fan of these too.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:51 am

The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me

Roy Orbison - Black and White Night

Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

If you're looking for something a little heavier:

This'll put hair on your chest.

Wed May 23, 2018 12:13 pm

The Replacements - Let It Be
R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Nothing too obscure just some great rock and roll albums.

Wed May 23, 2018 2:15 pm

Death Proof wrote:
The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me

FUCK YEAH! Another great Replacements album.

Wed May 23, 2018 2:16 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Dar Williams--Cool as I Am ("And then I go outside to join the others. I am the others" *shiver* YES)

Wailin' Jennys--Deeper Well (Emmylou Harris cover)

Hell yes to both of these two artists. Love them on long morning drives to work or visiting family. To make it a trifecta, would like to add:

Wed May 23, 2018 7:27 pm

ski petrol wrote:

FUCK YEAH! Another great Replacements album.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm not much of a music connoisseur so I'll be soaking up this thread as well. though I can't promise that I have the adequate language to comment on why I do or do not like the music itself.

Wed May 23, 2018 10:27 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
WHY?: Alopecia (standout track: The Hollows)

The Nameless One wrote:

Some preliminary feedback, I put this on while driving to work this morning and I dug it. One of the first things I noticed was the smart lyrics and clever wordplay, which I like. I could hear a bit of The Flaming Lips here, a bit of Cake there. Some of the songs also had a flow that reminded me of Twenty One Pilots, but overall, like you said, it is pretty much "free of genre and boundary". Will surely listen to it again.

Thu May 24, 2018 2:04 am

Glad that you dig it. Smart lyrics and clever wordplay is WHY? to a tee. I know just about their entire catalog by heart, save for some of the trip hop verses. Yoni Wolf has an interesting voice and it's very easy to sing along with, which entire crowds do at their shows. This is my favorite song by them

These are selfish times, I've got shellfish dimes, and saaaaanddollars

Thu May 24, 2018 2:21 am

How about some good '70s prog?

There are the many that do not share the love for prog, like myself. Just try to enjoy some cuts off these gems.

Thu May 24, 2018 2:38 am

I'll listen to some of that prog. As long as it's not Styx, learning that they are Dutch was a harrowing moment, it just makes so much sense

Generally, if there is a kind of music Dutch people would be all about, it's prog

Thu May 24, 2018 2:43 am

The Nameless One wrote:
I'll listen to some of that prog. As long as it's not Styx, learning that they are Dutch was a harrowing moment, it just makes so much sense

Generally, if there is a kind of music Dutch people would be all about, it's prog
Prog songs tend to be very long. Dutch people must have too much time on their hands.

Thu May 24, 2018 2:55 am

Styx isn't prog. I'd label it "shit".

Thu May 24, 2018 3:01 am

John Dumbear wrote:
Styx isn't prog. I'd label it "shit".
Good!

Thu May 24, 2018 3:02 am

Torgo wrote:
Prog songs tend to be very long. Dutch people must have too much time on their hands.
Dutch are known for that, we enforce "niksen" which is the art of "doing nothing", like, srsly we can just shut down our faculties and nap with our eyes open

Thu May 24, 2018 3:03 am

"Renegade" is a good track, but that's about it. Whenever "Come Sail Away," "Mr. Roboto" or the like are on the radio, on the other hand, I change the station almost immediately.

Thu May 24, 2018 3:04 am

Rock wrote:

McLaughlin fans should also check out his album from 1970, Devotion, with Buddy Miles and Larry Young. Not as "out there" as MO, but solid funk-fusion.

Thu May 24, 2018 4:58 am

Rock wrote:

No, but I'll give it a try.

Thu May 24, 2018 5:06 am

All this prog.

But no King Crimson? The mid-70s trio of Lark's Toungue in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red are superior spirits.

Can didn't make a bad album in the 70s.

Neu! combusts my prostate. Kraftwerk was never better than when they had Rother on guitar.

Magma is French, but, heilig holle, they are Teutonic as pissed wolves.

A.R. & The Machines is the best less-known German rock band.

Graham Bond did a couple of monster "magick" prog in the early 70s (Holy Magick, We Put Our Magick On You) before he mysteriously wound up under a train, like some kind of Johnny Angel stooge.

If you own no Zappa, get some Hot Rats. If you have a lot of Zappa, grab the Bebop Tango Contest boot.

Plastic People of the Universe are better than goddamn Uriah Happy or who the fuck. Egon Bondy Happy Hearts Club Banned is probably good enough for the likes of yous.

Thu May 24, 2018 5:22 am

John Dumbear wrote:

Hell yes to both of these two artists. Love them on long morning drives to work or visiting family. To make it a trifecta, would like to add:

The musicianship of the Wailin' Jennys is so good.

Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 am

Jinnistan wrote:
McLaughlin fans should also check out his album from 1970, Devotion, with Buddy Miles and Larry Young. Not as "out there" as MO, but solid funk-fusion.

On this note, I will also recommend Love, Devotion, Surrender, his album with Carlos Santana. It won't put hair on your chest, but it's worth a listen.

Thu May 24, 2018 9:25 am

No rhyme or reason to any of these. If it wasn't for NRBQ randomly appearing at number two, I could at least claim they were all instrumental albums, but so much for that consistency.

Thu May 24, 2018 10:21 am

crumbsroom wrote:

You got any Martin Denny?

Thu May 24, 2018 11:39 am

Torgo wrote:
Here's some modern psychedelic rock you might like:

Blood Ceremony - Lord of Misrule

Put this on while driving home from work and I really liked it. If I didn't know, I never would've thought this was recorded in 2016. The first song sounded very early-80's hard rock, but the rest sounded very 60s/70s, while the singer reminded me of Lacuna Coil at times. "Half Moon Street" was probably the song I enjoyed the most. I don't know if it's the low budget or intentional, but the recording and some of the melodies didn't sound as polished, but I still thought the music was pretty good. The flute was a nice touch.

Thu May 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Rock wrote:
On this note, I will also recommend Love, Devotion, Surrender, his album with Carlos Santana. It won't put hair on your chest, but it's worth a listen.

Was actually a really formative album for me when I was a teenager. Believe it or not, my 11th Grade English teacher asked me to meet him in his office after class and when I got there he handed me this album (vinyl, this'd be 1988) and said, "I think you should give this a try." Really did change a lot of things for me and I still listen to it fairly often.

Thu May 24, 2018 1:10 pm

A few of my favorite "Live" albums:

Thu May 24, 2018 8:23 pm

Being a lover of most music, am going to listen to the music listed here that am not familiar with.

Thu May 24, 2018 8:29 pm

The Nameless One wrote:

Never heard of them but love this album. I hear traces of "Muse" & "Talking Heads", coupled with the clever nastiness of "Happy Mondays" style lyrics.

Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 pm

Thief wrote:

Put this on while driving home from work and I really liked it. If I didn't know, I never would've thought this was recorded in 2016. The first song sounded very early-80's hard rock, but the rest sounded very 60s/70s, while the singer reminded me of Lacuna Coil at times. "Half Moon Street" was probably the song I enjoyed the most. I don't know if it's the low budget or intentional, but the recording and some of the melodies didn't sound as polished, but I still thought the music was pretty good. The flute was a nice touch.
Glad you enjoyed it! Their Living with the Ancients album is also worth listening to.
The psychedelic/stoner/whatever you want to call it revival is probably the most exciting thing happening in rock today. Thank goodness there's anything happening in rock at all these days.

Thu May 24, 2018 9:38 pm

The Nameless One wrote:
Dutch are known for that, we enforce "niksen" which is the art of "doing nothing", like, srsly we can just shut down our faculties and nap with our eyes open

This made me laugh. Thank you for that.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:04 pm
Profile WWW

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I'm not much of a music connoisseur so I'll be soaking up this thread as well. though I can't promise that I have the adequate language to comment on why I do or do not like the music itself.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:06 pm
Profile WWW

Torgo wrote:
Either nobody noticed this was a joke about the Styx song "Too Much Time on My Hands" or it was such a terrible joke that it deserved to be ignored.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:14 pm

John Dumbear wrote:

I held onto this one till today since you called it a "morning" album :D Listened to the first three songs on my way to work and I liked it. Country and blues are genres I'm usually not into, but it's more for lack of exposure. Those are genres that people really don't listen here in Puerto Rico. But I do like good guitar playing and this one has that. The first song, "Poor Boy Blues", was a good starter. The second one, "Sweet Dreams", was pretty but didn't do much for me. Finally, the third song, "There'll Be Some Changes Made", really got me going. Loved/laughed at the lyrics a lot and really enjoyed the back-and-forth lyrical and musical exchanges from Atkins and Knopfler. I've had the chorus on my mind all morning. Look forward to listening to the rest.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:40 pm

I really appreciate all the recommendations, but I tried to condense what you've given me on the original post in order to make it easier for me to track what I've listened to. I know some of you recommended more than 3, but I tried to limit it to that. If I can, I'll get to anything else you all recommended.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Death Proof wrote:
Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

I look forward to this one... My wife got me into Mark Lanegan, and eventually Screaming Trees, and I consider myself a fan. Lanegan's "Whiskey for the Holy Ghost" has become one of my favorite albums ever, but I also enjoy "Bubblegum" and "Field Songs". As for ST, I've only listened to "Dust", but I think it's a great album, so I look forward to whatever else they made.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:48 pm

Thief wrote:

I held onto this one till today since you called it a "morning" album :D Listened to the first three songs on my way to work and I liked it. Country and blues are genres I'm usually not into, but it's more for lack of exposure. Those are genres that people really don't listen here in Puerto Rico. But I do like good guitar playing and this one has that. The first song, "Poor Boy Blues", was a good starter. The second one, "Sweet Dreams", was pretty but didn't do much for me. Finally, the third song, "There'll Be Some Changes Made", really got me going. Loved/laughed at the lyrics a lot and really enjoyed the back-and-forth lyrical and musical exchanges from Atkins and Knopfler. I've had the chorus on my mind all morning. Look forward to listening to the rest.

That is really where the album takes off. There are some pretty instrumentals on there that are more for relaxed listening when in the mood, but there's also energy and humor and a whole lotta great pickin'.

Fri May 25, 2018 1:06 am

Wooley wrote:
That is really where the album takes off. There are some pretty instrumentals on there that are more for relaxed listening when in the mood, but there's also energy and humor and a whole lotta great pickin'.

I put it on again on my way home and, to be honest, the slow instrumentals didn't do much for me. I mean, they are pretty and, like you say, for a more relaxed listening, but they are not the kind of songs I gravitate to. But when those faster, more energetic songs came, they sure got me knee-slapping. Overall, a pretty cool album, with the clear highlight for me being "There'll Be Some Changes Made". Seriously loved that song.

Fri May 25, 2018 12:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next