It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Thief's Journey into the Musical Unknown 
Post Re: Thief's Journey into the Musical Unknown

Thief wrote:

I put it on again on my way home and, to be honest, the slow instrumentals didn't do much for me. I mean, they are pretty and, like you say, for a more relaxed listening, but they are not the kind of songs I gravitate to. But when those faster, more energetic songs came, they sure got me knee-slapping. Overall, a pretty cool album, with the clear highlight for me being "There'll Be Some Changes Made". Seriously loved that song.

The image of Chet Atkins "wearing makeup like Jackson and Prince" just busts me up.

Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 pm

I am pleasantly surprised by the love for this selection. My friends and family give me shit for listening to this album. It's nice to know that fellow assholes agree. :P

Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Rock wrote:
Have you listened to any Mahavishnu Orchestra? Their first two albums (The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire) should be easy to get into given your rock background, but should also be excellent horizon expanders.

Very preliminary reaction... put the first one (Inner Mounting Flame) on my way to work this morning and listened to the first two songs. Really liked the sound. More on this later.

Fri May 25, 2018 10:02 pm

Wooley wrote:
The image of Chet Atkins "wearing makeup like Jackson and Prince" just busts me up.

That was the line that cracked me up the first time I listened to it. But seriously, I read the song is older than this, but I love how they sneak jabs at the state of the scene and how style and spectacle are preferred over talent and musicianship.

"Nobody wants you when you just play guitar"

Fri May 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Thief wrote:
In an effort to venture into listening new things, I'd like for you to recommend me three albums you consider favorites, or that are a "must" for any music fan.

FWIW, my favorite genre is rock, and that's what I usually listen to most of the time. Grew up with 80's rock, but in the last years I've gravitated more towards 70's rock. However, I don't mind the genre. I also like hip hop, r&b, salsa, merengue, classical, etc. Things I'm usually not up to are very extreme death metal, reggaeton, or Mexican band music, but if you think it's worth it, I might check it out.

I'm trying to challenge myself to get out of the box of what I usually listen to, so hit me! I'll share my thoughts here.
How about...

DJ Shadow: Endtroducing:

Porcupine Tree: In Absentia:

Dissection: Storm Of The Light's Bane

Sat May 26, 2018 2:32 pm

I got you, fam.

Buke and Gase - General Dome

Pulsing music made of limitless musical ideas from a limited number of musicians. 2, to be precise.

-----

The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat

Ridiculous music made of limitless musical ideas from a limited number of musicians. 2, to be precise.

-----

Souls of Mischief - '93 'til Infinity

Rap about gangstas, by comedians, 25 years on.

Sat May 26, 2018 8:48 pm

John Dumbear wrote:

Good pick. About as good a Stonesy revival as the best Faces bootlegs.

Sun May 27, 2018 2:11 am

Jinnistan wrote:
You got any Martin Denny?

I do not. I've never come across any, even though I have looked. I did happen to buy this yesterday though.

Technicolor Paradise, a box set of a bunch of forgotten exotica. Haven't made my way through it all yet, but it's a really fun collection so far. There is nothing here that competes with the mind blowing arrangements that Esquivel offers, but all of the tracks so far have their own eccentric little quirks that make this kind of music so completely immersible; just entire worlds of sound.

Sun May 27, 2018 4:10 am

Rock wrote:
Have you listened to any Mahavishnu Orchestra? Their first two albums (The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire) should be easy to get into given your rock background, but should also be excellent horizon expanders.

Ok, I listened to Inner Mounting Flame yesterday and I really liked it a lot. Loved listening to all the influences on the music, rock, prog, jazz, asian... really dug the mix of instruments. Will definitely listen to this more.

Sun May 27, 2018 8:13 am

LEAVES wrote:

I love this album. But I also really liked the one they did with their grandmother, so you can probably safely strike my opinion from the record.

Sun May 27, 2018 10:47 am

Gort wrote:
Cords. Synergy. (Larry Fast, 1978)

Sort of classical synthesizer compositions, with poppish overtones. Not like anything else I ever bought to listen to.

Listened to this one today; mixed feelings about it. I really liked the first half, very orchestral and epic, but still organic. Even though the synth was up front, I loved how the bass sounded in the first songs. As the songs progressed, they got a bit more psychedelic without losing that "grandiose" tone. However, the second half didn't do much for me. Starting with "Full Moon Flyer", which I actively disliked, the songs felt more detached and clinical. I didn't really care much for that half, but really digged the first half.

Tue May 29, 2018 12:40 pm

The Replacements. I forgot to mention their album Tim. Amazing. Album of the century material. Listen to them.

Tue May 29, 2018 12:53 pm

ski petrol wrote:
The Replacements. I forgot to mention their album Tim. Amazing. Album of the century material. Listen to them.

Lot of Replacements fans around here!

Tue May 29, 2018 10:58 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Lord Huron--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxGfw-8Nf_w

I love the whole album so much, but Ends of the Earth, Time to Run, She Lit a Fire, and Brother are maybe my favorites.

This was my pick for my morning drive, and I really liked it. The music is very mellow but not without rhythm, and the guitars sounded great. Also, the singer has a very soothing voice and I loved the melodies with the background vocals. I agree with your favorites, with "Time to Run" and "She Lit a Fire" probably my tops. This is one I will definitely listen again.

Tue May 29, 2018 11:34 pm

Thief wrote:

This was my pick for my morning drive, and I really liked it. The music is very mellow but not without rhythm, and the guitars sounded great. Also, the singer has a very soothing voice and I loved the melodies with the background vocals. I agree with your favorites, with "Time to Run" and "She Lit a Fire" probably my tops. This is one I will definitely listen again.

Glad you liked it.

I've seen them live and they are amazing.

Wed May 30, 2018 6:26 am

Thief wrote:
Lot of Replacements fans around here!

Paul Westerberg is one of my favorite lyricists.

Wed May 30, 2018 6:57 am

Death Proof wrote:
The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me

Speaking of The Replacements, I'm halfway through this and I'm enjoying it a lot. As soon as the first song ("I.O.U.") started, I knew I would like it. The rhythm and music ranged from cool, straight rock to more funky sound. The last song I heard was "The Ledge" and I really, really liked that one. So far, my favorite of the album. Will listen to the second half later.

EDIT: Heard the second half on my way to lunch and back and my opinion still stands. I felt there were a couple more heavy rockers in this half than the first one (like "Shooting Dirty Pool"). Overall, a really good album. The last song ("Can't Hardly Wait") would probably be my second favorite.

Thu May 31, 2018 12:50 am

Thief wrote:

Ok, I listened to Inner Mounting Flame yesterday and I really liked it a lot. Loved listening to all the influences on the music, rock, prog, jazz, asian... really dug the mix of instruments. Will definitely listen to this more.

:fresh:

Favourite track?

Thu May 31, 2018 11:10 am

Thief wrote:

If I was forced at gunpoint to choose a favorite guitar solo (as unlikely a scenario as that might be), my choice might very well be Dawn, the second song on this album.

Thu May 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Looks like you've got plenty to keep you busy so feel free to ignore this post.
But those of you discussing the Wailin' Jennys, et al, might enjoy Sarah Jarosz. Last night I went on one of my periodic binges, so she will be my contribution to this thread. Some favorites:

Thu May 31, 2018 1:35 pm

'Can't Hardly Wait' is also a single. Glad you enjoyed the album.

Thu May 31, 2018 1:54 pm

Rock wrote:
:fresh:

Favourite track?

I really like the first three songs ("Meeting of the Spirits", "Dawn", "The Noonward Race"), I think they all play well off each other in the way they progress. "A Lotus on Irish Streams" is way slower and pretty, and serves as some sort of intermission. From the second half, the closing one ("Awakening") is probably my favorite.

Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:59 am

Thief wrote:

Speaking of The Replacements, I'm halfway through this and I'm enjoying it a lot. As soon as the first song ("I.O.U.") started, I knew I would like it. The rhythm and music ranged from cool, straight rock to more funky sound. The last song I heard was "The Ledge" and I really, really liked that one. So far, my favorite of the album. Will listen to the second half later.

EDIT: Heard the second half on my way to lunch and back and my opinion still stands. I felt there were a couple more heavy rockers in this half than the first one (like "Shooting Dirty Pool"). Overall, a really good album. The last song ("Can't Hardly Wait") would probably be my second favorite.

IOU is my favorite Replacements song. :)

Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:16 am

Catching up with this. Last days have been kinda hectic and I've barely had a chance to get online, but I've been listening. So here are my takes on a couple...

ski petrol wrote:
R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant

Nothing too obscure just some great rock and roll albums.

This was my pick for Thursday. R.E.M. is one of those bands that I can say I "like", even love ("Losing My Religion" would easily make a Top 50 or Top 100 of songs, if I ever made one) but that for some reason, I've never delved too deep into. Same applies to a lot of bands that came out or became popular during the 90's. This album was solid all through. Lots of good, fun rockers and some nice slower ones. My first favorite was "Cuyahoga" and then "I Believe".

Jinnistan wrote:
All this prog.

But no King Crimson? The mid-70s trio of Lark's Toungue in Aspic, Starless and Bible Black and Red are superior spirits.

Not sure if this was a recommendation or just conversation with the others, but anyway, I listened to Lark's on Friday and I really, really liked it. Very intricate musicianship. I loved how the strings and the percussion were integrated with the electric guitar and the drums. As a matter of fact, despite all the great guitar playing in it, I really enjoyed more listening to the strings. The titular songs that bookend the album are superb, but other than that, I really liked "Exiles".

crumbsroom wrote:
No rhyme or reason to any of these. If it wasn't for NRBQ randomly appearing at number two, I could at least claim they were all instrumental albums, but so much for that consistency.

This was my pick for today, and it's another one I really dug. I loved how the album evokes and borrows from film scores and film themes without feeling like a rip-off; a bit of western here, a bit of classic film big band, some 60's funk... it seemed to me that the first half focused a bit more on big band sound, while the second half had a bit more 60's and Latin sound to it. My favorite was probably "You Belong to My Heart", but a couple of the songs that followed that one also had me tapping the steering wheel and shaking my shoulders. One pro/con thing is that the songs are too short, which makes for a breezy listening, but also leaves you wanting for more.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 am

Thief wrote:
Not sure if this was a recommendation or just conversation with the others, but anyway, I listened to Lark's on Friday and I really, really liked it. Very intricate musicianship. I loved how the strings and the percussion were integrated with the electric guitar and the drums. As a matter of fact, despite all the great guitar playing in it, I really enjoyed more listening to the strings. The titular songs that bookend the album are superb, but other than that, I really liked "Exiles".

All three albums I mentioned are of comparable quality, and it was at a time when bandleader Robert Fripp was actually trying to make a leaner sound than was currently in a lot of prog at the time. Previous Crimson albums like Lizard and Islands were especially garish in arrangement, and he felt the need to rein it in some. The first album from them, In The Court of the Crimson King, is also a classic, and their best known album. "20th Century Schizoid Man" is in contention as the greatest prog single.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:25 am

This is probably deep for some non-prog fans, but a recent favorite of mine is the official release of Robert Wyatt's 1968 demos which consist of the first side of Soft Machine II and "Moon in June". It's best known for having a track featuring Jimi Hendrix on bass.

Hendrix and Wyatt were rooming in L.A. after their '68 American tour, and Jimi had booked out a recording studio for a couple of weeks (recording "Peace in Mississippi", "Calling All Devil's Children", "Look Over Yonder", etc) and let Wyatt use some studio time to self-record these demos, mostly recording himself on each instrument. Wyatt would include a thanks to Jimi in the lyrics of "Have You Ever Been Green?" when the LP was finally finished.

Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:44 am

LEAVES wrote:

Buke and Gase - General Dome

Pulsing music made of limitless musical ideas from a limited number of musicians. 2, to be precise.

This was my pick of the day and I loved it. Haven't listened to it all (still have 4-5 songs to listen) but what I heard, I liked. My favorite so far is "In the Company of Fish", followed maybe by "Cyclopean". "Hiccup" was also a lot of fun.

Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:00 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Three is tough, I'm doing three and a bonus selection for your rock tendencies

WHY?: Alopecia (standout track: The Hollows)

I went back and listened to this one during the weekend cause I don't think I paid as much attention to it as I paid other albums in this little project, at least as far as identifying specific songs I like. Anyway, I agree that "The Hollows" is one of the standouts of the album, but I personally liked "Fatalist Palmistry".

The Nameless One wrote:
Owen Pallett: Heartland (standout track: The Great Elsewhere)

This was my pick for this morning. I only listened to half of it, but I kinda liked its weird musical vibe. First few songs had a penchant for off-tempo percussion and some interesting instrumentation, which I like. Last song I listened was really, really good, and I'm not sure, but I think it was "The Great Elsewhere", so there's that.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 pm

Your cat clawed out my eyes while I's was distracted by your smile, and now my sockets sit like empty catcher's mits waiting, and you ask me is there anybody else that I'm dating

That's the happy song! If you want more of that brand of WHY? you'd do very well to listen to Elephant Eyelash, I'd even trade out HLLLYH for it (I'm wary of that choice because of how abrasive it is, I don't expect a clear like)

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:16 am

The Nameless One wrote:
Your cat clawed out my eyes while I's was distracted by your smile, and now my sockets sit like empty catcher's mits waiting, and you ask me is there anybody else that I'm dating

That's the happy song! If you want more of that brand of WHY? you'd do very well to listen to Elephant Eyelash, I'd even trade out HLLLYH for it (I'm wary of that choice because of how abrasive it is, I don't expect a clear like)

I'll keep an eye for it too, but now you made me curious about HLLLYH :D

Anyway, I just finished listening to Heartland on my way to/from lunch and I thought it was pretty good. One thing I loved was the use of instrumentation. Lots of horns, organs, strings, and percussion. Loved it. One song that jumped at me was "Lewis Takes Off His Shirt", and maybe the one that followed it. Dug that stretch of the album.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:47 am

Thief wrote:

I'll keep an eye for it too, but now you made me curious about HLLLYH :D

Anyway, I just finished listening to Heartland on my way to/from lunch and I thought it was pretty good. One thing I loved was the use of instrumentation. Lots of horns, organs, strings, and percussion. Loved it. One song that jumped at me was "Lewis Takes Off His Shirt", and maybe the one that followed it. Dug that stretch of the album.
Lewis Takes Off His Shirt is a banger and my followup for standout track, the hook is so good. I overall prefer the second half of the album, but I feel you need the full emotional spectrum to appreciate it's individual strengths. His albums are intertwining stories with each song expanding an overarching lore, along with WHY? he's one of the most clever writers out there but it requires a bit more work

Yeah, stick with HLLLYH. Just be on guard

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:19 am

Thief wrote:

This was my pick of the day and I loved it. Haven't listened to it all (still have 4-5 songs to listen) but what I heard, I liked. My favorite so far is "In the Company of Fish", followed maybe by "Cyclopean". "Hiccup" was also a lot of fun.
Glad you're enjoying it! It's one of my most listened to albums. All of the songs are both pretty varied internally and sufficiently different from each other yet all within a distinctive tone that somehow strikes a magic balance for me. I think this album is consistently "great", even if there are a few moments on the previous album which I might prefer once-in-a-while

I also love their process - build their instruments from scratch, play multiple instruments at the same time, "write" via recording jam sessions (including vocal improvisation) and re-arranging improvised pieces into songs that then get lyrics written to match the improvised sounds and then recorded at the end. The music comes first, and the ideas come second, and the words come last. Lovely stufff.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:11 am

John Dumbear wrote:

"Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big & Bouncy" - The Refreshments
A band known doing the theme to "King of the Hill". Blending a tex-mex sound with fun and clever lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX4FkqL2FuE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCm-FSPy0bA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX4FkqL2FuE

This was, for lack of a better word, a refreshing choice. The music was more close to my comfort zone, so I really enjoyed it. It feels very 90's, and you can listen to hints and tinges of Goo Goo Dolls, some Nirvana, and even Green Day in some of their songs. My favorite was probably "Down Together", but "Girly" was a lot of fun. "Suckerpunch" was another favorite.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 am

Torgo wrote:
Here's some modern psychedelic rock you might like:

Purson - The Circle and the Blue Door

I listened to this one today and, boy, did I enjoy it! Really, really good album. I listened to the first half in the morning, and I had "Spiderwood Farm" pegged as my first favorite. But when I listened to the second half on my way home, that stretch really rocked my world. Other favorites were "Leaning on a Bear", "Well Spoiled Machine", and "Sapphire Ward", which would probably be my favorite of the album. Thanks, Torgo!

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Thief wrote:

I listened to this one today and, boy, did I enjoy it! Really, really good album. I listened to the first half in the morning, and I had "Spiderwood Farm" pegged as my first favorite. But when I listened to the second half on my way home, that stretch really rocked my world. Other favorites were "Leaning on a Bear", "Well Spoiled Machine", and "Sapphire Ward", which would probably be my favorite of the album. Thanks, Torgo!
Glad you liked it! Their other (and unfortunately final album since they broke up last year), Desire's Magic Theater, is also worth checking out.

Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:38 pm

Torgo wrote:
Glad you liked it! Their other (and unfortunately final album since they broke up last year), Desire's Magic Theater, is also worth checking out.

I've had the rhythm from "Leaning on a Bear" all the day in my head, so I had to go back to it. I looked for it on YouTube, and now I'm listening to "The Contract".

I've enjoyed all the recommendations I've gotten here, but so far, this is my favorite from all of them.

Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:42 am

Rock wrote:
If you're looking for something a little heavier:

This'll put hair on your chest.

This was my choice for yesterday, and I think your description is as accurate as it can be. Everything in it seeps of macho testosterone; from the name of the band and the album, to the song riffs and the vocals (and I don't mean it in a bad way). For the most part, the album is headbangin' fun, but a lot of the songs have such similar riffs and rhythms that it might end up feeling a bit repetitive near the end. Still, I enjoyed it. My favorite songs were probably "Run Like Hell" and "Heavy Artillery", with maybe "Shellshock" as a close third.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:56 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Antony and the Johnsons--The Crying Light or I am a Bird Now

I can't get enough of him--just such a different sound. I adore Epilepsy is Dancing. (He also does a cover of Crazy in Love that I, well, love.)

Listened to this one yesterday and I loved it. There's a really touching melancholy to her voice, and the music is so cool. I really loved "Kiss My Name", with "Aeon" probably being my second favorite.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:46 am

Death Proof wrote:
Roy Orbison - Black and White Night

Roy Orbison is one of those artists I hear mentioned a lot, but for some reason, I've never delved too much into it. Sure, I've heard hits like "Pretty Woman", "Only the Lonely", but most notably "Crying" (or rather its Spanish interpretation from Mulholland Drive), but other than that, I hadn't knowledgeably heard much of his music. This was a fun listen. I liked his Elvis Presley-like style and most of the song were enjoyable. My favorite song was "(All I Can Do is) Dream You", but the whole last stretch of the album was pretty darn good.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:23 am

Thief wrote:

Listened to this one yesterday and I loved it. There's a really touching melancholy to her voice, and the music is so cool. I really loved "Kiss My Name", with "Aeon" probably being my second favorite.

The singer is actually male. Having now gotten a sense of what your taste is (based on reactions to other recommendations), I'm really glad you liked this one. I think that his music satisfies a very specific mood/need. It's not something I listen to a lot, but when I do it feels like the most perfect thing in the world. To me it is a very different mood and sound than anything else I listen to.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:29 am

Takoma1 wrote:

The singer is actually male. Having now gotten a sense of what your taste is (based on reactions to other recommendations), I'm really glad you liked this one. I think that his music satisfies a very specific mood/need. It's not something I listen to a lot, but when I do it feels like the most perfect thing in the world. To me it is a very different mood and sound than anything else I listen to.

Yeah, I read about her. She goes by the name Anohni now. Glad you recommended it.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:49 pm

Thief wrote:

Yeah, I read about her. She goes by the name Anohni now. Glad you recommended it.

Whoa--I didn't realize she'd transitioned.

I love her sound.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2