It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Thief's Journey into the Musical Unknown 
Post Re: Thief's Journey into the Musical Unknown

Thief wrote:

I listened to this yesterday and I have to admit it took me a while to get into it. There are a lot of things I like in it, but sometimes, the excess of off-tempo sounds or off-pitch instruments was a bit off-putting (no pun intended). I know that might be some of the appeal, but there were some moments where it really took me out of it. Maybe the album would benefit from a more attentive hearing than I might be giving it while I'm driving. Either way, I still enjoyed a lot of it. I think the song I liked the most was "Paw Paw Tree", with maybe "Chris Michaels" in second place. I will probably listen to all of it again later.

LEAVES, to keep you on my good side, I just want you to know that I've listened to Buke and Gase's General Dome again once or twice in the last week :D

I just found this on vinyl yesterday, and considering I hadn't listened to it since my CD player went to shit six or seven years ago, I couldn't resist.

It is an album that would almost certainly make the short list for my favourite records of this millennium. I can't be surprised that some would be slow to warm to it though since, as brilliant as I think it is, everyone I tried to turn onto it was completely put off by it almost instantly.

If you like some elements of it, their follow up album EP might be more for you. It is much more conventional, turning away from some of the dissonant indulgences of Blueberry Boat, and honing in on the pretty incredible songwriting that is at their core.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:38 am

Thief wrote:

I listened to this yesterday and I have to admit it took me a while to get into it. There are a lot of things I like in it, but sometimes, the excess of off-tempo sounds or off-pitch instruments was a bit off-putting (no pun intended). I know that might be some of the appeal, but there were some moments where it really took me out of it. Maybe the album would benefit from a more attentive hearing than I might be giving it while I'm driving. Either way, I still enjoyed a lot of it. I think the song I liked the most was "Paw Paw Tree", with maybe "Chris Michaels" in second place. I will probably listen to all of it again later.

LEAVES, to keep you on my good side, I just want you to know that I've listened to Buke and Gase's General Dome again once or twice in the last week :D
I don't know exactly what I thought when I first heard something from this album, but it was probably something along the lines of, "This is either amazing or awful and I have no idea which." I don't know how long it took until I determined that it was amazing, but... it's all about the destination, not the journey? Sure, works for me. Then, maybe 2 years after I absolutely loved this thing, I went ahead and figured I was ready to listen to another album, so I picked up their next-most-acclaimed one, and I thought it was unlistenable. Then, eventually, after listening to this one like 10 more times I tried it again... and again... and now it's one of my favorites, too. Ughhh, journeys are the worst.

Both this and the Buke and Gase I recommended are albums I can listen to almost infinitely now, though, because all of the odd things going on that don't draw you in immediately also don't get old, like that catchy song you can't stand listening to anymore. You know, that one.

All that being said, you may never grow to love it. I'd rather recommend something that could slowly grow into an all-time-favorite than a quick flash in the pan, even if it never does... so your lack of an immediate affection is fine. And expected, really. But, you never know when that Fiery Furnaces Fever is going to strike...

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:52 am

Mahavishnu's Inner World is very nice. The first song feels like Tangerine Dreams mixed with Màsfel, somewhat.

My recommendations would be:
Corps Électriqes by Hector Zazou and Katie Jane Garside

I don't know what genre that is, but it's good. probably trip hop.

Blank Banshee's Mega

Some type of vaporwave, dubwave or something. Very computery and unusual. I fell in love at first listen.

Sarah Fimm's Nexus

I must have listened to this album 20 times top to bottom. One of the very few where I love every song.

Bonus: Sarah Fimm's Potnia Theron. If you liked the voice and want something more instrumental and rocky in places.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3