It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Thief's Journey into the Musical Unknown 
Post Re: Thief's Journey into the Musical Unknown

Thief wrote:

I listened to this yesterday and I have to admit it took me a while to get into it. There are a lot of things I like in it, but sometimes, the excess of off-tempo sounds or off-pitch instruments was a bit off-putting (no pun intended). I know that might be some of the appeal, but there were some moments where it really took me out of it. Maybe the album would benefit from a more attentive hearing than I might be giving it while I'm driving. Either way, I still enjoyed a lot of it. I think the song I liked the most was "Paw Paw Tree", with maybe "Chris Michaels" in second place. I will probably listen to all of it again later.

LEAVES, to keep you on my good side, I just want you to know that I've listened to Buke and Gase's General Dome again once or twice in the last week :D

I just found this on vinyl yesterday, and considering I hadn't listened to it since my CD player went to shit six or seven years ago, I couldn't resist.

It is an album that would almost certainly make the short list for my favourite records of this millennium. I can't be surprised that some would be slow to warm to it though since, as brilliant as I think it is, everyone I tried to turn onto it was completely put off by it almost instantly.

If you like some elements of it, their follow up album EP might be more for you. It is much more conventional, turning away from some of the dissonant indulgences of Blueberry Boat, and honing in on the pretty incredible songwriting that is at their core.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:38 am

Thief wrote:

I listened to this yesterday and I have to admit it took me a while to get into it. There are a lot of things I like in it, but sometimes, the excess of off-tempo sounds or off-pitch instruments was a bit off-putting (no pun intended). I know that might be some of the appeal, but there were some moments where it really took me out of it. Maybe the album would benefit from a more attentive hearing than I might be giving it while I'm driving. Either way, I still enjoyed a lot of it. I think the song I liked the most was "Paw Paw Tree", with maybe "Chris Michaels" in second place. I will probably listen to all of it again later.

LEAVES, to keep you on my good side, I just want you to know that I've listened to Buke and Gase's General Dome again once or twice in the last week :D
I don't know exactly what I thought when I first heard something from this album, but it was probably something along the lines of, "This is either amazing or awful and I have no idea which." I don't know how long it took until I determined that it was amazing, but... it's all about the destination, not the journey? Sure, works for me. Then, maybe 2 years after I absolutely loved this thing, I went ahead and figured I was ready to listen to another album, so I picked up their next-most-acclaimed one, and I thought it was unlistenable. Then, eventually, after listening to this one like 10 more times I tried it again... and again... and now it's one of my favorites, too. Ughhh, journeys are the worst.

Both this and the Buke and Gase I recommended are albums I can listen to almost infinitely now, though, because all of the odd things going on that don't draw you in immediately also don't get old, like that catchy song you can't stand listening to anymore. You know, that one.

All that being said, you may never grow to love it. I'd rather recommend something that could slowly grow into an all-time-favorite than a quick flash in the pan, even if it never does... so your lack of an immediate affection is fine. And expected, really. But, you never know when that Fiery Furnaces Fever is going to strike...

Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:52 am

Mahavishnu's Inner World is very nice. The first song feels like Tangerine Dreams mixed with Màsfel, somewhat.

My recommendations would be:
Corps Électriqes by Hector Zazou and Katie Jane Garside

I don't know what genre that is, but it's good. probably trip hop.

Blank Banshee's Mega

Some type of vaporwave, dubwave or something. Very computery and unusual. I fell in love at first listen.

Sarah Fimm's Nexus

I must have listened to this album 20 times top to bottom. One of the very few where I love every song.

Bonus: Sarah Fimm's Potnia Theron. If you liked the voice and want something more instrumental and rocky in places.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:43 am

Trying to get back to this...

John Dumbear wrote:
Hell yes to both of these two artists. Love them on long morning drives to work or visiting family. To make it a trifecta, would like to add:

This was nothing at all what I was expecting, and I mean it in a good way. For some weird reason, when I read "Wailin' Jennys", I associated with The Donnas (don't ask me why) and I was subconsciously waiting for something more fast-paced. It was a pleasant surprise to find out it was the opposite. Very soft-paced, with some really great melodies and harmonies. I enjoyed it a lot. Favorite song? Probably "Arlington" or "One Voice". I think I should also listen to the second half again.

Interesting note, some time ago, I was listening to the album on YouTube, but the "Autoplay" threw me a song that isn't on 40 Days, and it also ended up being a pleasant surprise. It was "Way of Sorrow", and I've listened to it several times after that.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:51 am

Thief wrote:
Trying to get back to this...

This was nothing at all what I was expecting, and I mean it in a good way. For some weird reason, when I read "Wailin' Jennys", I associated with The Donnas (don't ask me why) and I was subconsciously waiting for something more fast-paced. It was a pleasant surprise to find out it was the opposite. Very soft-paced, with some really great melodies and harmonies. I enjoyed it a lot. Favorite song? Probably "Arlington" or "One Voice". I think I should also listen to the second half again.

Interesting note, some time ago, I was listening to the album on YouTube, but the "Autoplay" threw me a song that isn't on 40 Days, and it also ended up being a pleasant surprise. It was "Way of Sorrow", and I've listened to it several times after that.

Again, I love their cover of Deeper Well.

They are on heavy rotation when my family gets together.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:04 pm

Torgo wrote:
Here's some modern psychedelic rock you might like:

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Blood Lust

This was today's pick and I really dug it. Heavy and a bit trippy, there were several songs that featured some nifty guitar work. My favorite was probably "Curse in the Trees", but there were a couple of good ones here. Thanks again!

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:47 am

If you see crumbsroom out and about, remind him how much you enjoy Uriah Heep. He'll be pleased.

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:58 pm

Thief wrote:

This was today's pick and I really dug it. Heavy and a bit trippy, there were several songs that featured some nifty guitar work. My favorite was probably "Curse in the Trees", but there were a couple of good ones here. Thanks again!
Glad you enjoyed it. The one-two-three punch of I'll Cut You Down/Death's Door/Over and Over Again is great way to start a work day.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:17 am

Death Proof wrote:
Screaming Trees - Sweet Oblivion

Trying to get back on this, so I went with one that I assumed I would like.

For perspective, my wife turned me on Mark Lanegan since we met, but mostly on his solo career. Whiskey for the Holy Ghost is one of my favorite albums and is ever-present in my car. Thanks to her, I also listened to Screaming Trees' Dust, but I had never heard this one. Glad to say, I liked it a lot. Pretty much the same style and the same vibe as Dust, which is good.

As for favorites, I have three: "Shadow of the Season", "The Secret Kind", and "Troubled Times". Least favorite? "Winter Song" didn't do much for me.

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:13 am

You like Jazz at all, brah?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:22 am

Alos, don't know if you like The Clash at all:

PS: by the way can somebody tell me how to properly link videos on this forum, please?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:26 am

Wooley wrote:
You like Jazz at all, brah?

Jazz is a genre I would like to delve more into, but haven't done it. Probably because of "lack of exposure" (pretty much nobody listens to jazz here) and my own tendency to always listen to the same stuff (hence this thread). I've listened to Coltrane's Love Supreme, which I loved as well as other random jazz tunes here and there, but I would love some solid recs.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:20 am

Wooley wrote:
Alos, don't know if you like The Clash at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6enAv2SEA38

PS: by the way can somebody tell me how to properly link videos on this forum, please?

Use the YouTube tag provided at the top of the edit window. You just have to put the last part of the address between the tags.

[ youtube ] 6enAv2SEA38 [ / youtube ]

Obviously, without the extra spaces.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:22 am

This is the highest-selling Jazz single of all time:

Try it out and see how you like it.

PS- And thanks for the 411.

Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:25 am

ski petrol wrote:
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Nothing too obscure just some great rock and roll albums.

Ok, I have to admit I had a hard time getting through this one. There are some nice things scattered here, but they are mostly buried under a constant guitar buzzing that pretty much drowns everything. Some songs I kinda liked were "Come In Alone" and "What You Want", but overall, I found it repetitive, tedious, and boring. I'm sorry.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:04 pm

Wooley wrote:
This is the highest-selling Jazz single of all time:

Try it out and see how you like it.

PS- And thanks for the 411.

That's a really cool tune.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Thief wrote:

Ok, I have to admit I had a hard time getting through this one. There are some nice things scattered here, but they are mostly buried under a constant guitar buzzing that pretty much drowns everything. Some songs I kinda liked were "Come In Alone" and "What You Want", but overall, I found it repetitive, tedious, and boring. I'm sorry.
I wasn't huge on Loveless the first time I listened to it either, but I'm thinking it's probably the kind of album that you have to re-listen to in order to love it, since, once I knew what to expect of it, it soon became one of my favorite non-metal records ever once I revisited it, so I suggest keeping that in mind for the future. At the very least, check out "To Here Knows When" again someday!

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:01 am

Thief wrote:

Jazz is a genre I would like to delve more into, but haven't done it. Probably because of "lack of exposure" (pretty much nobody listens to jazz here) and my own tendency to always listen to the same stuff (hence this thread). I've listened to Coltrane's Love Supreme, which I loved as well as other random jazz tunes here and there, but I would love some solid recs.

Coltranes Giant Steps is even better in my opinion

these are ones I revisit:
Wes Montgomery any/all
Black Saint and Sinner Lady | Mingus
Canadiana Suite | Oscar Peterson Trio
Horace Tapscott | Giant Awakens
Keith Jarrett | Koln Concert
The Bridge | Sonny Rollins
Evolution | Grachan Moncur
Outertimeinnerspace | Ahmad Jamal
Satchmo Plays King Oliver | Louis Armstrong

I saw you crossed off one Mahavishnu but didnt bother with the other reccomendation but if you want to get into fusion lmk I have a couple I love

a great way to explore jazz is even if you dont like a particular recording but one of the players is good just look them up and find other sessions they did, Ive found a few that way, jazz is more like actors going movie to movie rather than rock/songwriter/producer having more cohesive albums like directors filmography, if that makes sense...

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:55 am

wigwam wrote:
Coltranes Giant Steps is even better in my opinion

these are ones I revisit:
Wes Montgomery any/all
Black Saint and Sinner Lady | Mingus
Canadiana Suite | Oscar Peterson Trio
Horace Tapscott | Giant Awakens
Keith Jarrett | Koln Concert
The Bridge | Sonny Rollins
Evolution | Grachan Moncur
Outertimeinnerspace | Ahmad Jamal
Satchmo Plays King Oliver | Louis Armstrong

I saw you crossed off one Mahavishnu but didnt bother with the other reccomendation but if you want to get into fusion lmk I have a couple I love

a great way to explore jazz is even if you dont like a particular recording but one of the players is good just look them up and find other sessions they did, Ive found a few that way, jazz is more like actors going movie to movie rather than rock/songwriter/producer having more cohesive albums like directors filmography, if that makes sense...

Thanks for the recs!

As for Mahavishnu, I still plan on listening to the other album recommended. I just skipped it for a while, which I also did with others, but I plan to get back to them.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:18 am

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:31 am

Jazz album?

Alice Coltrane's Journey to Satchindanada.

Mingus' Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

Might as well start with the best.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:50 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Jazz album?

Oooh! You like Alice Coltrane? I'm fuckin' nuts for Ptah The El Daoud for like the last 16 years.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 am

wigwam wrote:

Actually, the reason why I picked up Grachan Moncur's Evolution in the first place was because of Tony Williams, Lee Morgan and Bobby Hutcherson. Prior to that, I hadn't taken much notice of him.

Some recs: Kind of Blue sits along with Take 5 as a basic litmus, if you don't like Kind of Blue jazz may not be for you.

John Coltrane - Live at Village Vanguard (1961)
Charles Mingus - Oh Yeah
Max Roach - Percussion Bittersweet
Pharoah Sanders - Karma
Donald Byrd - Kofi
Gato Barbieri - Chapter Three
Herbie Hancock - Sextant
Miles Davis - Jack Johnson, Live-Evil, On the Corner, Agharta

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:05 am

crumbsroom wrote:

That's the best one. But I'll throw this one out as well.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:09 am

Scratched two from the list in the last two days...

Charles wrote:
My recommendations would be:
Corps Électriqes by Hector Zazou and Katie Jane Garside

I don't know what genre that is, but it's good. probably trip hop.

This was a nice surprise. A mixture of smooth sound with some tinges of heaviness that I really liked. The voice and sound reminded me in parts of Morcheeba and maybe a slight hint of Mazzy Star. The stretch of songs that included "Porte de Saint-Cloud", "Coccon", and most notably "Butterfly Plaintif", was excellent (particularly the last one. Easily my favorite). The last stretch wasn't as solid, though. Still, a good listen that I plan to revisit soon.

crumbsroom wrote:
No rhyme or reason to any of these. If it wasn't for NRBQ randomly appearing at number two, I could at least claim they were all instrumental albums, but so much for that consistency.

This one was a very soothing choice for this morning. Very pleasant and easy to listen to. Plus, the songs are really short which makes it a very breezy album to get through. Favorites could be "I Am the Resurrection" and "On the Sunny Side of the Ocean".

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:34 pm

Listened to a few cuts from that John Fahey album. Nice mellow acoustic tunage.

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Careful, fellas. If you're like me you'll find yourself buried in Fahey records in a few years and still looking for more.

A few years ago a friend asked a bunch of us to come up with a list of 15 favorite songs. I'm not a list-maker so that was a nightmare for me. He made it easier for me when he said they didn't have to be ranked in order, but I did have to designate one song as my favorite. Long story short, my #1 slot went to "On the Sunny Side of the Ocean". Fahey is my dude, in other words.

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:33 am

Captain Terror wrote:
A few years ago a friend asked a bunch of us to come up with a list of 15 favorite songs.

I'm the opposite, it would be difficult to narrow the list to 50 favorite.

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:05 am

John Dumbear wrote:

I'm the opposite, it would be difficult to narrow the list to 50 favorite.

That's what I meant. I'd get down to 14 songs and remember I hadn't even considered Jazz yet, and I'd scrap the list and start all over.

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:09 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Frank Turner--Poetry of the Deed.

For a long time this was the CD that woke me up in the morning. I feel like the songs are funny and also clear-eyed.

Listened to this one in the morning and I really liked it. He makes it kinda hard to peg him in a specific genre, since I found some songs to be punk-ish, others were more acoustic/folksy, and others were more straightforward rock. I like that. He is also not the most gifted singer - very one-toned - but he knows how to handle whatever vocal limitations he might have with style and songwriting. There were a couple of songs I really enjoyed, most notably "Poetry of the Deed", "Fastest Way Back Home", and "Sons of Liberty". There was another one I really liked towards the end of the album, but I wasn't paying attention to what specific song it was. Probably second or third to last.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 am

Thief wrote:
Scratched two from the list in the last two days...

This was a nice surprise. A mixture of smooth sound with some tinges of heaviness that I really liked. The voice and sound reminded me in parts of Morcheeba and maybe a slight hint of Mazzy Star. The stretch of songs that included "Porte de Saint-Cloud", "Coccon", and most notably "Butterfly Plaintif", was excellent (particularly the last one. Easily my favorite). The last stretch wasn't as solid, though. Still, a good listen that I plan to revisit soon.

I'm very happy you liked it. Do you count Symphony of Ghosts in the weaker stretch? I thought it was a fastastic closing track.

Also, from Hector again but with Sandy Dillon is the album 12 (Las Vegas Is Cursed) It's heavier and noisier, but not entirely different, vibe-wise.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 am

Charles wrote:

I'm very happy you liked it. Do you count Symphony of Ghosts in the weaker stretch? I thought it was a fastastic closing track.

To be honest, I don't remember much about that one. But I do remember "Agony of the Rose" and "Ice Flower" not being too impressive.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:46 am

Charles wrote:
Blank Banshee's Mega

Some type of vaporwave, dubwave or something. Very computery and unusual. I fell in love at first listen.

This is most definitely not up my alley. I typically don't care about electronica or its different sub-genres. There's actually a recurring inside joke between one of my best friends (an electronica fan) and myself (not much of a fan). Through the years, I kinda liked some, and I emphasize some, of Moby, Paul Oakenfold, or Jamiroquai, but I really don't venture much into the genre. Maybe because of that, I was a bit put off when I started to listen. But I kept listening, so my first praise in its favor is that I didn't turn it off. However, as I kept listening, I found myself enjoying it more. Not sure if it's because the album got better, or I got more used to the sound. The last stretch of songs had a couple of ones that really got me tapping the steering wheel while I was driving. If I were to name favorites, "Ecco Chamber" was probably an early favorite, but also that last stretch that included "Hungry Ghost", "Meteor Blade", and "Cerulean". I'm actually giving it a second spin now that I'm at work.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:28 pm

Thief wrote:

Listened to this one in the morning and I really liked it. He makes it kinda hard to peg him in a specific genre, since I found some songs to be punk-ish, others were more acoustic/folksy, and others were more straightforward rock. I like that. He is also not the most gifted singer - very one-toned - but he knows how to handle whatever vocal limitations he might have with style and songwriting. There were a couple of songs I really enjoyed, most notably "Poetry of the Deed", "Fastest Way Back Home", and "Sons of Liberty". There was another one I really liked towards the end of the album, but I wasn't paying attention to what specific song it was. Probably second or third to last.

For a long while, this was the CD that was in my sound system that would play as my alarm, so I would get up at 5:30am listening to it. I like that a good number of the lyrics are about being an artist, but they are reflective and neither boasting nor whiny. I really like the lyric "We sing songs about our friends in E minor". Sons of Liberty is probably my favorite. I owe the discovery of him to my friend David, who included "The Road" on a YouTube "feminist friendly" playlist (a friend of his had complained about running into some annoying sexism while trying to enjoy country and folk music, so he made the list for her).

Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:30 am

Thief, I dunno if you do funk, it happens to be a specialty of mine, being from New Orleans and all, but check this and see if you dig it at all. (Or maybe we should try Chameleon first?)

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:31 am

I've also been listening to a lot of Fahey recently. And Hot Tuna, tons of Hot Tuna.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:21 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
I've also been listening to a lot of Fahey recently. And Hot Tuna, tons of Hot Tuna.

Hey man, I didn't know you was around!

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:25 pm

Wooley wrote:
Hey man, I didn't know you was around!

I've been bad about lurking recently.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:38 pm

Quite-Gone Genie wrote:
I've been bad about lurking recently.

Still, it's nice to see you here. Makes it feel more like home to an RT refugee.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Thief wrote:

crumbsroom
[*] Esquivel - Music from a Sparkling Planet
[*] NRBQ - Scraps

Listened to these two over the weekend. Love discovering new stuff and keep them coming. :up:

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Rock wrote:
Have you listened to any Mahavishnu Orchestra? Their first two albums (The Inner Mounting Flame, Birds of Fire) should be easy to get into given your rock background, but should also be excellent horizon expanders.

Finally listened to Rock's second recommendation and I'll echo what I said after listening the first one: loved all the influences, loved the mix of instruments, and I loved the use of strings.

Early favorites were the first/title song, and "Celestial Terrestrial Commuters". However, a song later into the album, I think it was "One Word" or "Sanctuary", really kicked it into high gear. Loved it.

On a side note, and considering we were speaking about jazz recs, after finishing the Mahavishnu album, YouTube threw in an auto-play selection of Herbie Hancock from an album titled Man-Child. Wow. Really cool sound.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:38 am

I only have five albums to finish the first round of recs:

1. The Mae-Shi - HLLLYH (The Nameless One)
2. Isao Tomita - The Planets (Gort)
3. Neu! - Neu! (Jinnistan)
4. Souls of Mischief - '93 'til Infinity (LEAVES)
5. Sarah Fimm - Nexus (Charles)

I plan on listening to the other recs some of you gave, including the recent jazz recs. But since I'm about to finish this first batch, I thought it would be good to return the favor with some recs myself, so here's one...

Balance of Power - Perfect Balance

Somebody recommended me this band back in the early 2000s, don't remember who. By that time, they had released three albums and I fell in love with all three (the first one might be the weaker, the singer is different and the sound is not as polished). About a year or two after I first heard them, they released this album and I think it's one of their best. The band falls in the melodic and/or progressive rock genre, maybe a bit of Dream Theater, a bit of Queensryche. After this album, they changed singers again and released a fifth album that's pretty great too. Pretty heavy with great guitars and drums. Hope someone likes it.

Favorite song: "House of Cain"

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:22 am

Flight of the Conchords - "I Told You I was Freaky"

Being honest here in saying that I've heard of the show but never seen it. Just thought it was one of many premier channel shows. Had no clue of the musical end. I happened to catch a concert of theirs on the tube yesterday. So fired this album right up after and was blown away. They have all the talent and fun ala "Barenaked Ladies", "Tenacious D" and "The Refreshments".

Wrapping this post up in saying, it will be on my viewing radar from now on. :up:

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:26 pm

LEAVES wrote:
Souls of Mischief - '93 'til Infinity

Rap about gangstas, by comedians, 25 years on.

This was a fun listen. I like rap, but is not my forte. Still, I enjoyed the throwback to those 90s years. The lyrics were solid, even if I couldn't catch all of them, but I liked how they used their rhymes. I wasn't blown away, but I dug it.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 am

If rap and hip-hop aren't your forte, may I offer a couple?

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:14 pm

Wooley wrote:
If rap and hip-hop aren't your forte, may I offer a couple?

I like some rap, but I don't know much about the genre nor do I explore it a lot. Since you posted it, I like some of Outkast, I like Eminem a lot, and other random stuff. Also, some local rap singers, but again, it's not a genre I seek out. So thanks for the recs.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:17 am

I've been on a big Cab Calloway kick lately. Dude was smooth as silk.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:23 am

Thief wrote:
Jazz is a genre I would like to delve more into, but haven't done it.
Same here. Not blind to the masters of the craft and true legendary performers. There's just so much new stuff and guessing that jazz just fell to the back burner. Like Thief stated in "lack of exposure. This has always been one of my favorites though, so bear with me...

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3