It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #11: Oh Lucy! (Sat 07/21) 
Post Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #11: Oh Lucy! (Sat 07/21)

Corrie Class Trip is a project where we rotate the selection of a title for group watches on an appointed day/date to then discuss [previous iterations linked below]. We welcome all to participate and share their thoughts and feelings! The current viewing for Round 3 is scheduled for Saturday, July 21st. Please post about the film itself and your experience with it in this thread, and any off-topic posts about the series itself in the Class Trip Discussion Thread.

Thanks and enjoy!!!

xoxo,
your classmates
:heart: :heart: :heart:

Saturday, July 21st, 2018

Oh Lucy! (Atsuko Hirayanagi, 2017)

Quote:
Setsuko is a lonely, chain-smoking woman stuck in a drab, meaningless life in Tokyo. That is, until she's convinced by her niece to enroll in an unorthodox English class that requires her to wear a blonde wig and take on the American name "Lucy." Her new identity awakens something dormant in Setsuko, but she finds that those around her have other sides, too.

Past Trips, Junior Year:

#1 - La maternelle (1933, Jean Benoît-Lévy & Marie Epstein, France) | wigwam
#2 - Time and Winds (2006, Reha Erdem, Turkey) | Oxnard Montalvo
#3 - Clean, Shaven (1993, Lodge Kerrigan, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#4 - Diabeł (1972, Andrzej Żuławski, Poland) | Oxnard Montalvo
#5 - Black Friday (2004, Anurag Kashyap, India) | Rock
#6 - Schizopolis (1996, Steven Soderbergh, USA) | Slentert
#7 - Hearts and Minds (1974, Peter Davis, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#8 - Xtro (1982, Harry Bromley Davenport, UK) | crumbsroom
#9 - The House (1997, Šarūnas Bartas, France) | Oxnard Montalvo
#10 - Spider-Baby (1967, Jack Hill, USA) | Slentert

Past Trips, Sophomore Year:

#1 - The Worthless (1982, Mika Kaurismäki, Finland) | snapper
#2 - Shopping for Fangs (1997, Quentin Lee and Justin Lin, USA) | takeshi
#3 - The Heart of the Wise Lives in the House of Sorrow (2009, Marin Malešević, Serbia) | Shieldmaiden
#4 - The Forbidden Quest (1993, Peter Delpeut, Netherlands) | kopello
#5 - São Bernardo (1972, Leon Hirszman, Brazil) | Bandy Greensacks
#6 - Evdokia (1971, Alexis Damianos, Greece) | Epistemophobia
#7 - The Ball at the Anjō House (1947, Kōzaburō Yoshimura, Japan) | snapper
#8 - Sérail (1976, Eduardo de Gregorio, France) | takeshi
#9 - Passport for a Corpse (1962, Mario Gariazzo, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#10 - Aksuat (1997, Serik Aprimov, Kazakhstan) | Shieldmaiden
#11 - Dangerously Excited (2011, Koo, South Korea) | wigwam
#12 - Himala (1982, Ishmael Bernal, Philippines) | snapper

Past Trips, Freshman Year:

#1 - Distant Journey (1949, Alfréd Radok, Czechoslovakia) | snapper
#2 - Nanami: The Inferno of First Love (1968, Susumu Hani, Japan) | Das
#3 - The Policewoman (2003, Joaquim Sapinho, Portugal) | charulata
#4 - Freeze, Die, Come to Life! (1989, Vitali Kanevsky, USSR) | Bandy Greensacks
#5 - The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974, Francesco Barilli, Italy) | Trip
#6 - Weddings and Babies (1958, Morris Engel, USA) | snapper
#7 - The Man with Three Coffins (1987, Lee Jang-ho, South Korea) | Notes from Underground
#8 - Malina (1991, Werner Schroeter, Germany) | Shieldmaiden
#9 - Bad Luck (1960, Andrzej Munk, Poland) | B-Side
#10 - The Girl with the Suitcase (1961, Valerio Zurlini, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#11 - The Engagement of Anna (1972, Pantelis Voulgaris, Greece) | BandyGreensacks
#12 - Our Neighbor, Miss Yae (1934. Yasujirō Shimazu, Japan) | snapper

Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:56 am
Post Re: Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #11: Oh Lucy! (Sat 07/21)

Help me check out a new female filmmaker, with this extremely underseen release from 2017. I've read just enough to know the tone takes some unexpected turns. I'm expecting something like Maren Ade's Forest for the Trees, to be honest (cringey and dark).

Oh – and it's streaming on Amazon, by the way.

Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:59 am

I will plan to be there (hopefully).

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:34 pm

*added to queue*

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:11 am

I'll be there.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I'm expecting something cringey and dark.

Sold!

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:35 am

We're rewatching The Forest for the Trees?!

Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:01 am

Eminence Grise wrote:
We're rewatching The Forest for the Trees?!
I hope not! I doubt it's quite that cringey and dark. Only one way to find out, though. :)

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:48 am

Oh poop. I'm going to be engaged for most of the weekend, so I'll try to watch this Sunday and post something by Monday.

Don't flunk me, prof!

Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:33 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Don't flunk me, prof!
You can have the official Teacher's Pet Extension. :)

See everyone else tomorrow!

:heart:

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:54 am

oh crap, I forgot about this. I might also be late in watching it since I need to get through a bunch of library/Netflix stuff that went unwatched due to my busy last few weeks.

fingers crossed that I get fired soon so I'll have more time for leisure.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
fingers crossed that I get fired soon so I'll have more time for leisure
Hahaha!

I hold the record for the latest Class Trip watch (8 months late!) so obviously I'll be happy whenever you get to it. :)

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:36 pm

I work nights and early mornings in a warehouse then sleep during the day. I don't get enough time to be in the dark and it's messing with my head. there have been a lot of days the last two weeks (during free time after getting enough sleep) where I've just sat in silence in my room with the curtains drawn and my eyes closed. I assume this will be temporary.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:18 pm

Aw, sorry. Thought it was just a joke. That's a tough transition to make, for sure.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:21 am

I liked it. It was legitimately funny (without being quirky) and with deep empathy for it's characters. But, besides the fact that it focuses on a Japanese woman instead of yet another middle aged white guy, I feel like I've seen too many of this kind of indie dramedies to really appreciate it. That's not really a fair complaint against the movie, but I've just seen too many movies similar to this, to actually be surprised by it.

Also, a lot more subtle than you would expect from a movie produced by Will Ferrell and Adam McKay.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:33 am
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
But, besides the fact that it focuses on a Japanese woman instead of yet another middle aged white guy, I feel like I've seen too many of this kind of indie dramedies to really appreciate it. That's not really a fair complaint against the movie, but I've just seen too many movies similar to this, to actually be surprised by it.

Well, yeah, I really appreciated its female perspective (especially for a Japanese movie). I found its particular twists and turns surprising enough. Though I’d seen review excerpts that called it dark, I didn’t expect the car wreck turn it took near the end. (Maren Ade wasn't a bad comparison.)

I havn’t seen Shinobu Terajima since Vibrator (2003), but she’s terrific in this!

I’ve seen some talk from critics of disappointment that it doesn’t follow through on the "alter-ego" story. I’m glad it didn’t. What it does is much more realistic, using the wig to focus our attention on two-facedness – the hypocrites in the office, the "sexy waitress" costume, hidden mental illness, playing to stereotypes, sexual repression, even cultural assimilation. My favorite example: the way the sister has aggressively changed her guilt into anger, till she doesn't even know it herself, like referred pain. I thought that dysfunctional sister relationship was completely believable, by the way, despite lack of background detail, because of the really excellent performances.

Thanks for watching!

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:02 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Well, yeah, I really appreciated its female perspective (especially for a Japanese movie). I found its particular twists and turns surprising enough. Though I’d seen review excerpts that called it dark, I didn’t expect the car wreck turn it took near the end.

I guess I already expected that turn because of the opening scene.

And don't get me wrong, I appreciated its female perspective too, and I think she is a wonderful character with a lot of depth. I really enjoyed this movie.
I also liked how, for once, we get an outsider going to America and experience their culture, instead of the other way around.

Shieldmaiden wrote:
(Maren Ade wasn't a bad comparison.)

I should really see one of her movies, huh.

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I havn’t seen Shinobu Terajima since Vibrator (2003), but she’s terrific in this!

Yeah, she was just outstanding. She made the whole idea of a woman traveling half the world for a man she barely knows believable. Not an easy task, but she made it work.

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I’ve seen some talk from critics of disappointment that it doesn’t follow through on the "alter-ego" story. I’m glad it didn’t. What it does is much more realistic, using the wig to focus our attention on two-facedness – the hypocrites in the office, the "sexy waitress" costume, hidden mental illness, playing to stereotypes, sexual repression, even cultural assimilation. My favorite example: the way the sister has aggressively changed her guilt into anger, till she doesn't even know it herself, like referred pain. I thought that dysfunctional sister relationship was completely believable, by the way, despite lack of background detail, because of the really excellent performances.

That is the main thing I like about this film. Deep respect and empathy for its characters.

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Thanks for watching!

Thank you for giving me a reason to watch this. :)

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:46 am
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
I guess I already expected that turn because of the opening scene.
Oh, that turn, haha. I think where it "turned" for me was the tattoo. Till then I hadn't realized she was actually delusional, as opposed to just desperate for change or air or anything to disrupt her unhappy life.

Quote:
I should really see one of her movies, huh.
Oh, definitely! My favorite is Everyone Else. Everyone else (ha) seems to prefer Toni Erdmann. Regardless, she's amazing at empathy for characters who would be completely unlikable in another director's hands. Also, at cringey, awkward, very dark comedy.

Quote:
That is the main thing I like about this film. Deep respect and empathy for its characters.
I'm really glad you like it! I have a spotty record picking movies for these Class Trips. :P

Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:12 am

Oh Lucy | Atsuko Hirayanagi | 2017 | JPN | 95 min | 1.85:1 | 2017-07-21 | MKV | Home | LIKED

I loved all the reference to smells being the main experience at certain moments

great movie, great choice SMaiden!

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:43 am

This is a movie I admire more than I like. I admire that it doesn't present an "Eat, Pray, Love" narrative where the female lead is superficially transformed by a trip abroad. Setsuko is exactly the person she was before she arrived in Los Angeles; in the end, the journey seems to unleash only what we knew was boiling in her from the beginning. At the same time, everything feels very rushed. I'm no fan of Maren Ade, but the comparison regarding intent seems apt in this case; the discomfort could have used a little more room to breathe in terms of running time.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:30 am

I've seen this story many times before, but I feel like this film makes various twists to this format such as the cultural filter. In addition, I found the character of Setsuko to be pretty interesting, because even though some of her emotional struggles were of her own making, I still cared for her. I'm also glad it avoided the "The main character learns a valuable lesson and is improved by someone else" cliché found in many road trip movies. I also agree with Shieldmaiden when he mentioned that the acting was really good. Shinobu Terajima did a great job, and I thought there was great chemistry between her and her sister. However, I do have to agree with BL that the movie was too rushed. The movie seemed to move at a very frantic pace, and I feel like it would've been better if it were to linger a bit more. Still, I thought this was really good.

7/10

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I work nights and early mornings in a warehouse then sleep during the day. I don't get enough time to be in the dark and it's messing with my head. there have been a lot of days the last two weeks (during free time after getting enough sleep) where I've just sat in silence in my room with the curtains drawn and my eyes closed. I assume this will be temporary.
I worked the night shift at my story for over a year and a half, and difficulty sleeping during the day was never just a temporary thing; get out while you still can, man!

:D

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:12 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I’ve seen some talk from critics of disappointment that it doesn’t follow through on the "alter-ego" story. I’m glad it didn’t. What it does is much more realistic, using the wig to focus our attention on two-facedness – the hypocrites in the office, the "sexy waitress" costume, hidden mental illness, playing to stereotypes, sexual repression, even cultural assimilation.

Along the line of the latter, I kept thinking to tales I've heard from friends who've taught ESL in Japan about a tendency to fetishize the gaijin (especially tall white gaijin, ala Josh Harnett). As an American herself, I can't help but think that Hirayanagi was stoking this cultural tension in a number of ways that covers much of the rest, from purity to duplicity, and in a fashion which critiques both cultures inevitably.

Fun, touching film. I have a feeling that Hirayanagi will only get better.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:29 am

Yikes. I haven't been around here for quite a while! Sorry, everyone!

wigwam wrote:
great movie, great choice SMaiden!
Yay! After my last one, I could only go up. :P

BL wrote:
At the same time, everything feels very rushed. I'm no fan of Maren Ade, but the comparison regarding intent seems apt in this case; the discomfort could have used a little more room to breathe in terms of running time.
I can't argue this. I think some of the jarring-ness of her behavior is partly because we've been following at one speed, and it kicks up a notch after the sex scene. (Though maybe that's realistic.)

Jinnistan wrote:
As an American herself, I can't help but think that Hirayanagi was stoking this cultural tension in a number of ways that covers much of the rest, from purity to duplicity, and in a fashion which critiques both cultures inevitably.
Good point. I had the feeling there was a layer (at least) that I didn't have access to.

Jinnistan wrote:
Fun, touching film. I have a feeling that Hirayanagi will only get better.
I agree!

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:21 am

Thanks for watching, everyone!

We need one more Class Trip in this set and it looks like neither BL nor Jinnistan have hosted yet. You two want to duke it out, or should I toss a coin?

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]