It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 WOOLEY's Pre-Horrorthon Movie Extravaganza! 
Post Re: WOOLEY's Pre-Horrorthon Movie Extravaganza!

Rock wrote:
I enjoyed Piranha when I watched it a few months ago. Obviously the piranha attacks are not up to Jaws standards, but a little sense of humour goes a long way in these things. (I also like the movie owning up to its "influence" by having the heroine play a Jaws arcade game right at the beginning.)

As for other Jaws ripoffs, I recently watched The Car and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. It's always been on my radar (a buddy I've known since high school is a big fan) but only got around to it now. It's much dumber than Jaws (and Piranha, for that matter), but it looks really nice and the car looks appropriately mean.

Big fan of The Car. And my man George Barris built the titular vehicle. May he RIP.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:21 pm

Piranha! I enjoyed that film a lot... expectations do play a pretty important role in films like this. Mine were really low going in, but was looking for some schlock in my life. Ended up liking it quite a bit. Years ago here on the Corrie I had a thread called Inspired By... and I created art "reviews" to films I watched. I still do one every once in a while. This is my Piranha response:

This has been a great thread so far Wooley

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:39 pm
Profile WWW

Boy and His Dog looks like something I need to check out. I had a young-ish uncle, possibly close to your brother's age, that used to talk about it when I was a kid, so it's one that's always been on my radar.

Somehow I got the impression back then that the movie was "naughty" (as in X-rated) and have carried that with me to this day. Is that in any way accurate? We're talking about a childhood memory here so I'm probably way off.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:08 am

Re: Piranha

Saw it about a month or two ago and thought it had some good, fun moments, but overall was pretty mediocre.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:45 am

Wait, I almost forgot!
What the fuck was this?!

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:10 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Boy and His Dog looks like something I need to check out. I had a young-ish uncle, possibly close to your brother's age, that used to talk about it when I was a kid, so it's one that's always been on my radar.

Somehow I got the impression back then that the movie was "naughty" (as in X-rated) and have carried that with me to this day. Is that in any way accurate? We're talking about a childhood memory here so I'm probably way off.

It's just very dark. The main character is a rapist, everyone in the film's world is a horrible person just looking out for number one. It's not so much naughty as it is completely bleak. Which is not to say it's without humor, just that there's a pretty nasty prevailing tone.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:33 am

Jinnistan wrote:
*hides in attic to compose a gorgeously unrequited rock opera*

While some of the parody can be a bit, um, much at times, I felt like the main story worked pretty well. A bizarro blend of two distinctive stories that work well together.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:15 am

Hank wrote:
Piranha! I enjoyed that film a lot... expectations do play a pretty important role in films like this. Mine were really low going in, but was looking for some schlock in my life. Ended up liking it quite a bit. Years ago here on the Corrie I had a thread called Inspired By... and I created art "reviews" to films I watched. I still do one every once in a while. This is my Piranha response:

This has been a great thread so far Wooley

Damn, that's good man.
And thanks.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:51 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

I think it has as sort of forbidden air about it, but I don't think it would be x-rated.

Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Wooley wrote:
I think it has as sort of forbidden air about it, but I don't think it would be x-rated.

Cool. That had no bearing on my interest in the film, just something I always wondered about. This same uncle had a Fritz the Cat VHS that I used to ask him to watch all the time. That's when lil' Cap learned that not all cartoons are for children.

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:21 am

Wooley wrote:
Wait, I almost forgot!
What the fuck was this?!

I think that's what sea dogs call a "landlubber".

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:14 am

Definitely one of the "good Carpenters".
I waited far too long to see this and, while it's not earth-shattering or anything, I feel rewarded.
This is a really simple story, which sometimes is best. Here, a newly-minted Police Lieutenant is given his first assignment, to be the night-commander of a precinct, 13, that will close for good at 10am the next morning. Seems like the easiest assignment ever. Unfortunately for him, Street Thunder, a large gang in the Los Angeles area, has just sworn a blood-oath of revenge against the LAPD and an unlikely incident makes Precinct 13 their target. To complicate matters further, a famous criminal, being transferred by a federal marshall, is brought to the precinct for holding shortly before Street Thunder descends on them all.
Now you have to understand, Street Thunder is a really mean gang. How mean are they? Man, they are so mean that Che Guevara is their DRIVER.

I mean, just look at how they treat the Ice Cream man.

To be fair, the guy looks like a pedophile, so maybe they were just protecting the children. But believe me, they're not here to protect the children. If you've seen the movie, you know what I mean.
So, really that's the whole movie. The gang descends on the precinct building and the few people inside have to try to stay alive until help comes, and it ain't comin' soon.
The film has classic Carpenter feel, is quite violent and sometimes shocking, and doesn't futz around much. Despite the simple story, the run-time feels earned and I felt rewarded for my time spent.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:30 am

"Still have the gun?"

"Two shots. Should I save them for the two of us?"

"Save 'em for the first two assholes who come through that vent."

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:26 am

I've waited far too long to watch this one.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:47 am

Rock wrote:
"Still have the gun?"

"Two shots. Should I save them for the two of us?"

"Save 'em for the first two assholes who come through that vent."

Shit. That's from Precinct 13? Rodriguez straight up stole that shit for From Dusk Till Dawn.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:08 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I've waited far too long to watch this one.

It's good stuff. The kind of movie where you can just imagine other filmmakers bookmarking moments to "borrow".

And even if you know about the notorious beginning, it still doesn't really prepare you for it.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:55 am

Takoma1 wrote:

And even if you know about the notorious beginning, it still doesn't really prepare you for it.

Hmmm...I don't know about the notorious beginning. Intriguing.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:40 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

It's good stuff. The kind of movie where you can just imagine other filmmakers bookmarking moments to "borrow".

I didn't and I was really stunned.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Another one I watched on HBO back in the early 1980s (I would say this was running in '82 or '83), this was one of my first if not my very first experience with espionage thrillers. I would have been 10 or 11 years old at the time and again my parents had no idea what I was watching, although I don't think they especially cared. Not that there is particularly rough material here but several people are stabbed, shot, thrown off a cliff, or have their fingers chopped off and there is some complicated sexual stuff here for a young person, especially a young man, I would think, in light of our emerging understanding of sexual process.
Anyway, this is the story of a pleasant, friendly British Intelligence Officer that everyone seems to fancy and think is just the right sort of chap.
Until you walk in on him rapidly sputtering German over a long-distance radio.
Then you get The Needle.

Unfortunately our charming man is a German double-agent tasked, fast-forwarding a few years, with discovering where General Patton's European invasion will land and radioing the information back to the Nazis so they can foil the D-Day invasion. Things are going alright for him until he is tracked by British Intelligence and ends up fleeing by boat during a storm, crashing and washing up on Storm Island.
Meanwhile, a young British couple, a dashing war-pilot and a breathtaking heiress of sorts, are married and off on their honeymoon when the pilot, showing off runs the car off a bridge. Fast forwarding a few years, the couple now lives in total seclusion, due to the severe injuries sustained by the pilot's body as well as pride, where else but... Storm Island.
It is the coming together of two worlds and particularly of the sociopathic, somewhat psychotic Needle (Donald Sutherland) and the strong and brave (and just fucking gorgeous, I mean, seriously, I don't usually go on about it, but Kate Nelligan was just slaying me in ever scene) Lucy (which amusingly was the name of her breakthrough role in the '78 Dracula) that is the ultimate focus of the movie and how can it possibly end well. Lucy and her bitter, prideful, and mostly useless husband and their son, trapped on an island with a murderous Nazi spy.
Well, you'll find out if you have the patience. As exciting as it all sounds, this is one of those movies that has to be described as "deliberate" in its pacing or it would be described as "dull". And it's really not dull, it's really a good movie, a small movie, but a good one, it's just that it is very deliberately slow.
Anyway, a good rewatch, this was one Ebert also liked a lot, although he also felt in necessary to comment on the pacing, so be aware if you decide to watch it. It's on Amazon Prime.

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:18 am

And finally, oddly, I decided to wrap the month with a movie that wasn't really even on my radar, that I've never had the slightest interest in, and that I expected to suck in a "this is what happens when a once-great director puts way too much money and effort into taking a stab at a genre film" kinda way. I have not enjoyed Scorsese's work much in a long time, I find it bloated and over-glossed, Hugo perhaps being the best example for me. And I have always kinda loathed DiCrapio. I mean, I can count the movies I've seen with him in it that I liked on one hand, I'm sure, and virtually every one I thought the movie would have been better with virtually any other legit star in his role. I was also vaguely aware that the movie had a "twist" and I was pretty sure I knew what it was from seeing the preview on TV once or twice 8 years ago.
So you can imagine how low my expectations were going into this. Not sure what made me bump it over Deep Red and The 'Burbs, which both got excluded from the month because of this (and some internet trouble).

So imagine my surprise that I actually LIKED this movie. I mean, I genuinely thought it was pretty good. Not great, but when it ended I smiled and said to myself, "Well, Logan, you were wrong, that was actually pretty good."
I think the movie was perfectly paced. I mean, I thought the run-time was gonna be too long for such a straightforward story, but I think Scorsese used all of it.
I thought it was very competently acted from top to bottom, even Leo, and I mean that as a compliment, since the film doesn't call for a lot of dramatic acting in most of the roles. But I thought Mark Ruffalo was great, Ben Kingsley and Max Von Sydow were exactly perfect in what were actually kinda complicated roles. Michelle Williams is always awesome and I think that people not named Scorsese would have had to settle for someone a lot less amazing in her role and the movie would have suffered subtly for it. Emily Mortimer, Patricia Clarkson, Jackie Earle Haley, and Elias Koteas all have strong moments.
Obviously it's very well-shot. It's good looking, for the most part, but it does have the Scorsese-gloss. That's for the negatives part, though, it's a well shot and well-edited movie, shots are held long enough to have impact but never lingered over too long (the former being a real problem these days, I find).

Now, here's the funny thing. As I said, 8 years ago I saw the trailer and heard there was "a twist". And with nothing but that I said, "Oh, the twist is X." 8 years later, I watched the movie, and I was right. This is no great feat. Probably everyone who walked into this movie knew what it was, unless you hadn't heard it was a "twist movie" in which case you probably figured it out around the 40-minute mark if not sooner. So what's funny about this? It didn't matter. The way the movie is made, yeah, maybe if you somehow didn't see the twist coming it was cool, but it's really about how the twist is built and how the reveal is treated and the movie ends. It's really nicely done. I was really impressed. So I guess it's the writing too, with the direction, acting, editing, all that.
My few gripes? Really don't have a lot here. I felt like I could have dealt without the Scorsese-gloss and his love-affair with CGI is really problematic for me. I really struggled with it in Hugo but here you really have to work hard to tune it out. I mean, so many scenes are so obviously green-screened and it takes you right out of it multiple times. The CGI blood does the movie no favors as we've all talked about so many times. And then the actual special-effects that are just awkward CGI within green-screen shots, and it doesn't give it a dream-like quality, it looks digital. In a movie set in the gritty 1950s on an island with stone forts and shit. It's tough. I didn't take anything away from the movie for it but I really didn't like all that and I had to actively discipline myself not to get annoyed over it.

Alright, that's enough, I got shit to do.

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:50 am

Alright, that's all of them, moving on to October now.
Unfortunately, due to work and a conference I have to travel for, I will probably not be able to launch a Horrorthon this year, but I'll be watching some when I can and maybe just putting observations in the Horrorcram.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:42 am

Wooley wrote:
I smiled and said to myself, "Well, Logan...

:? I knew you were Wooley, but I had no idea you were The Goddamn Wolverine!

As I always say when this film is mentioned.......try watching it in B&W. The Lewton/Tourneur notes really spank, and I think you may see some slight softening of those CGI FX.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:15 am

Wooley wrote:
Good movie, but seeing this shot of the conspicuously diverse street gang in it can't help but remind me of this particular gag:

:D Still, like I said, good movie, and a somewhat undermentioned, underground Action classic at that.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 am

Jinnistan wrote:
:? I knew you were Wooley, but I had no idea you were The Goddamn Wolverine!

As I always say when this film is mentioned.......try watching it in B&W. The Lewton/Tourneur notes really spank, and I think you may see some slight softening of those CGI FX.

Heh. Yes, there is actually a guy at work who calls me that.
Is there some way to watch it in B&W? I would actually watch it again, maybe not like this month or anything, but I would.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:47 pm

Stu wrote:
Good movie, but seeing this shot of the conspicuously diverse street gang in it can't help but remind me of this particular gag:

:D Still, like I said, good movie, and a somewhat undermentioned, underground Action classic at that.

Inlcluding white guys! :D :D :D

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:50 pm

This was some good readin'. Have you seen Mikey and Nicky? I saw it for the first time last month and loved it. I haven't seen Gorky Park nor Eye of the Needle but your write-ups lead me to believe you'd like it for the same reasons. Most of the "action" consists of two characters having conversations but there's still a lot of tension. (One character may or may not be planning to betray the other.) Excellent film.
I watched it on TubiTV, but their thumbnail had a Criterion logo on it, so maybe it's on Filmstruck too? Check it out if you can find it.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:33 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
This was some good readin'. Have you seen Mikey and Nicky? I saw it for the first time last month and loved it. I haven't seen Gorky Park nor Eye of the Needle but your write-ups lead me to believe you'd like it for the same reasons. Most of the "action" consists of two characters having conversations but there's still a lot of tension. (One character may or may not be planning to betray the other.) Excellent film.
I watched it on TubiTV, but their thumbnail had a Criterion logo on it, so maybe it's on Filmstruck too? Check it out if you can find it.

Interesting, I have not even heard of it. I'll slip it on the radar.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:27 am

Wooley wrote:
Interesting, I have not even heard of it. I'll slip it on the radar.

I just realized what a half-assed synopsis that was, sorry. John Cassavetes and Peter Falk are old friends with organized crime connections. Most of the film consists of Falk driving JC around to various bars and diners where they chat about stuff. There's some moments of action but like I said it's mostly conversation. The suspense comes from the notion that Falk might be secretly planning to betray JC. It seems like one of those films you've mentioned, the kind that rely on brains and are impossible to get made in today's system, outside of indies.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:03 am

Wooley wrote:
Is there some way to watch it in B&W?

This is apparently more tricky than it seems.

I have a TV in which, from the picture menu, I can turn the "color" down to the point of B&W. This is largely what I do when I choose to try watching a modern film like this. But I have a friend who has another brand of TV where even turning the color down as far as possible only pales the colors but doesn't achive a full B&W picture (oddly, it looks like a B&W film that has been artificially colorized).

So I'm not sure, except to see if this helps on your TV. I'm not sure what the differences are between settings on different brands. Unfortunately, modern HD TVs no longer have video outputs (at least I haven't seen any with them), or else I would burn some B&W copies of these films. Perhaps there is video-editing software that can also render B&W. I still have an older tube TV with video outputs, but obviously the burn would not be in HD (maybe that would suit it).

Fortunately, I'm not the only person who has discovered the quality of Shutter Island in B&W (I believe Scorsese even admitted his preference), so here are some screenshots posted online by others:

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:29 am

Wooley wrote:

Definitely one of the "good Carpenters".
I waited far too long to see this and, while it's not earth-shattering or anything, I feel rewarded.
This is a really simple story, which sometimes is best. Here, a newly-minted Police Lieutenant is given his first assignment, to be the night-commander of a precinct, 13, that will close for good at 10am the next morning. Seems like the easiest assignment ever. Unfortunately for him, Street Thunder, a large gang in the Los Angeles area, has just sworn a blood-oath of revenge against the LAPD and an unlikely incident makes Precinct 13 their target. To complicate matters further, a famous criminal, being transferred by a federal marshall, is brought to the precinct for holding shortly before Street Thunder descends on them all.
Now you have to understand, Street Thunder is a really mean gang. How mean are they? Man, they are so mean that Che Guevara is their DRIVER.

I mean, just look at how they treat the Ice Cream man.

To be fair, the guy looks like a pedophile, so maybe they were just protecting the children. But believe me, they're not here to protect the children. If you've seen the movie, you know what I mean.
So, really that's the whole movie. The gang descends on the precinct building and the few people inside have to try to stay alive until help comes, and it ain't comin' soon.
The film has classic Carpenter feel, is quite violent and sometimes shocking, and doesn't futz around much. Despite the simple story, the run-time feels earned and I felt rewarded for my time spent.

Classic flick. Essential Carpenter. Great Carpenter Synths. Just enough racial/gender commentary without getting preachy or derailing the plot. Jaded AF. Anti-authoritarian to the core. The Alamo for Hippies who haven't quite accepted that they're going to be Yuppies in a few years.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:45 am

Jinnistan wrote:
This is apparently more tricky than it seems.

I have a TV in which, from the picture menu, I can turn the "color" down to the point of B&W. This is largely what I do when I choose to try watching a modern film like this. But I have a friend who has another brand of TV where even turning the color down as far as possible only pales the colors but doesn't achive a full B&W picture (oddly, it looks like a B&W film that has been artificially colorized).

So I'm not sure, except to see if this helps on your TV. I'm not sure what the differences are between settings on different brands. Unfortunately, modern HD TVs no longer have video outputs (at least I haven't seen any with them), or else I would burn some B&W copies of these films. Perhaps there is video-editing software that can also render B&W. I still have an older tube TV with video outputs, but obviously the burn would not be in HD (maybe that would suit it).

Fortunately, I'm not the only person who has discovered the quality of Shutter Island in B&W (I believe Scorsese even admitted his preference), so here are some screenshots posted online by others:

Wow. That actually does look really good.
Wonder what my tv will do...

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:59 am

If it wasn't for Wolf of Wall Street, Shutter Island would easily have been the best movie by Scorsese since Goodfellas.

I love it.

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:04 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
If it wasn't for Wolf of Wall Street, Shutter Island would easily have been the best movie by Scorsese since Goodfellas.

I love it.

Ya know, I haven't seen The Wolf Of Wall Street, but I must admit I was really impressed with this movie from a guy I'd written off (not like written off skill-wise or anything, who am I to fucking judge Martin Scorsese, but as a guy whose slate over the last 20 years had done nothing for me) and I was surprised nobody had told me how good it was.
I do wish he would lighten up on the CGI. I swear it's almost like he wants to prove an old guy can do this too.
Then again, I wish EVERYONE would lighten up on the CGI.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5