It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 WOOLEY's Pre-Horrorthon Movie Extravaganza! 
Post Re: WOOLEY's Pre-Horrorthon Movie Extravaganza!

Rumpled wrote:

Ya gotta love Lee Majors bitch slapping that guy (despite it being a foot out) :D

Oh, I loved it. Watching I was like, "Wait, did he actually SLAP that dude?!"

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:00 am

Just wanted to say I'm digging this thread, and I'm looking forward to some sweet Megaforce gifs.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:04 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I'm looking forward to some sweet Megaforce gifs.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:18 am

Seriously though. Remake starring Charlie Day. Think about it, folks.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:20 am

Jinnistan wrote:

Heh. That was the one, thanks for savin' me the trouble.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:21 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Just wanted to say I'm digging this thread, and I'm looking forward to some sweet Megaforce gifs.

Thank you. Haven't done this in a long time, it's fun when people are actually reading it.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:40 am

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:43 am

Whup! There it goes. Thanks y'all.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:43 am

So this was... not what I was hoping for.
I saw this at the one-screen cinema in my neighborhood when I was, what 11 years old. My mom was such a sport.
It's not necessarily that I had any nostalgia for this movie, I barely remember it. It's just that I really thought a movie with motorcycles with rockets and machine-guns on them simply had to have some charms to offer. And I guess it would be way off base to imply that this movie has none, it has plenty. Just not necessarily enough to make it worth sitting through.
Why is this? Well, it boils down to the same issues as Killer Fish, really a common issue for almost all movies in this class from that era. There is nowhere near 90 minutes worth of script and the budget doesn't allow for all that much action, either. There are actually only two battle-scenes in the entire film. 99-minute movie about an elite, technologically advanced fighting force and there are TWO battle-scenes in the entire film. But there are some really, really long shots of planes taking off and people driving and standing around and tanks lining up, just to stretch the run-time. IMDB claims this film cost $20M to make in 1982. I flat-out call bullshit on that. Bullshit.
Now, this is not to say there's no fun to be had. It's so fucking absurd it really does have to be seen to be believed. And the funny thing is, it comes across like they thought they were making a legitimately rad movie with a little bit of sense of humor, discovered it was more tongue-in-cheek once they got to filming, and admitted in the editing room that it really only worked as farce. So you can totally believe that it started out as a legitimate attempt to make and one wonders if it didn't go insanely over-budget in an attempt to salvage something out of what they filmed.
I mean, the movie goes from this:

To this:

And those two images, in sequence, really are a microcosm of the whole experience.
Throw in arguably the only tolerable performance Michael Beck has ever had, but temper it with an hilariously pitiful attempt to temper sexism by turning Periss Kambahtta from a super-solider to a fawning love-interest, while failing to really deliver the only goods the movie has, but throw in Barry Bostwick's lanky-ass-in-tights with awesome hair and a headband, and you've got... well... Megaforce.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:40 am

I'm getting serious G.I. Joe vibes from that first screenshot. Will this movie blow me away from its mobile command centre?

Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:55 pm

I’ve only seen Megaforce with Rifftrax. I loved the visuals of the smoke with the motorcycles during the final fight but it’s an otherwise flat movie.

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:15 pm

It occurs to me that I've never revisited Megaforce as an adult. Maybe that's for the best, but I gotta say that movie really made an impact on me at age 11. (My mom also took one for the team and brought me to see it.) 1982 was an insane year for genre films, and even if you allow for all the R-rated ones I couldn't see (The Thing, Road Warrior, Conan), this was a year where I saw The Dark Crystal, Tron, ET, Star Trek II, and the Secret of NIMH among others. And yet when riding my bike or playing with Hot Wheels, I was bound to be "playing" Megaforce. I certainly didn't pick up on any intentional camp, but something about it definitely pushed my tween buttons. The only serious contender for Favorite Movie that year was Rocky III. I probably shouldn't re-watch Megaforce, right? :)

Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
It occurs to me that I've never revisited Megaforce as an adult. Maybe that's for the best, but I gotta say that movie really made an impact on me at age 11. (My mom also took one for the team and brought me to see it.) 1982 was an insane year for genre films, and even if you allow for all the R-rated ones I couldn't see (The Thing, Road Warrior, Conan), this was a year where I saw The Dark Crystal, Tron, ET, Star Trek II, and the Secret of NIMH among others. And yet when riding my bike or playing with Hot Wheels, I was bound to be "playing" Megaforce. I certainly didn't pick up on any intentional camp, but something about it definitely pushed my tween buttons. The only serious contender for Favorite Movie that year was Rocky III. I probably shouldn't re-watch Megaforce, right? :)

As someone who only saw Megaforce as an adult, it's a movie that does have its pleasures, but there is a lot of dry patches in between them. It doesn't really work as a so bad its good movie or a movie that I feel is strange or unique enough on its own to be good as an outsider film. It's definitely watchable though, and while it might not live up to childhood memories, there are definitely many worse things to watch from that time.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:00 am

crumbsroom wrote:

As someone who only saw Megaforce as an adult, it's a movie that does have its pleasures, but there is a lot of dry patches in between them. It doesn't really work as a so bad its good movie or a movie that I feel is strange or unique enough on its own to be good as an outsider film. It's definitely watchable though, and while it might not live up to childhood memories, there are definitely many worse things to watch from that time.

It's only a matter of time before I do. "Shouldn't watch" and "won't watch" are two different things, as you know. :)

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:27 am

Rock wrote:
I'm getting serious G.I. Joe vibes from that first screenshot. Will this movie blow me away from its mobile command centre?

No, but wait till they whip out the Aircraft Carrier that only 1 kid in your school could afford.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:33 am

Captain Terror wrote:

'82 is one of the greatest years ever for movies.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:34 am

Deschain13 wrote:
I’ve only seen Megaforce with Rifftrax. I loved the visuals of the smoke with the motorcycles during the final fight but it’s an otherwise flat movie.

That shot really is great and I tried to find a gif of it to put here, but alas.
Yeah, I didn't really feel any need to riff-trax this, it becomes self-parody, I'm just not sure if it did it on purpose or not.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

So all this is right on the money for me (except for E.T., I mean I loved it when I was 11 it didn't have the kind of impact on me that harder sci-fi or even goofier shit like Megaforce had. But NIMH was the tits, yo. Dark Crystal, Tron, STII, all that stuff. Timerider.
I'm not gonna tell you not to re-watch it. I can tell you the movie does not contain as much awesome as you remember and that it is exactly as cheesy as you remember. So where that leaves you... I dunno, man, go with your gut.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:01 pm

Death Proof wrote:

'82 is one of the greatest years ever for movies.

Jesus.
I'm not gonna run through all of 'em, but just to throw a few out there to corroborate your point:

The Thing
Conan The Barbarian
Blade Runner
Poltergeist
The Wrath Of Khan
The Wall
TRON
Beatmaster
Porky's
Vice Squad
The Secret Of N.I.M.H.
48 Hours
The Last Unicorn
The Dark Crystal
Fast Times At Ridgemont High

That is a helluva cult list right there, and I left alone all the stuff like fucking Sophie's Choice, An Officer And A Gentlemen, The Motherfucking Verdict, The World According To Garp and Victor/Victoria.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:09 pm

Man, I miss these kinda movies. Espionage movies, mystery movies, where the "stakes" don't really necessarily have to go farther than the scope of the film. Everything is not blown up to Bond-villain levels and all. The movie is just a plausible Cold-War espionage thriller.
This is a sort of murder-mystery/police-procedural, set in Cold War Moscow, with Police investigator William Hurt discovering the murder and mutilation of 3 young people in Gorky Park. The work is gruesome enough to both draw suspicion on the KGB and to draw the KGB themselves into the case and Hurt is put in a dangerous position and he plays cat-and-mouse with the killer and dodges the KGB while trying to solve murders he wants nothing to do with.

The film is made the way these films should be, directly, seriously, without much flash or flair but with a real sense of competence throughout and, like Klute, plenty of still cameras and wide shots. I don't know that this is any kind of 80s classic (though I can tell you it was a big deal when it came out cause I was around), but it is a solid thriller and a rare example of its sub-genre.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:48 pm

Wooley wrote:
Jesus.
I'm not gonna run through all of 'em, but just to throw a few out there to corroborate your point:

The Thing
Conan The Barbarian
Blade Runner
Poltergeist
The Wrath Of Khan
The Wall
TRON
Beatmaster
Porky's
Vice Squad
The Secret Of N.I.M.H.
48 Hours
The Last Unicorn
The Dark Crystal
Fast Times At Ridgemont High

That is a helluva cult list right there, and I left alone all the stuff like fucking Sophie's Choice, An Officer And A Gentlemen, The Motherfucking Verdict, The World According To Garp and Victor/Victoria.

Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Gorky Park is good stuff.

Have you seen Citizen X with Stephen Rea? I watched the two films pretty closely together and thought they had some interesting parallels in terms of the style and overall mood.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:07 am

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is one recent film that captured that old-school political thriller feel.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:02 am

Death Proof wrote:

No, but wait till they whip out the Aircraft Carrier that only 1 kid in your school could afford.

I'm not made of USS Flagg money. :(

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:17 am

Death Proof wrote:

But Top Gun wasn't '82...

:shifty:

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:54 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Gorky Park is good stuff.

Have you seen Citizen X with Stephen Rea? I watched the two films pretty closely together and thought they had some interesting parallels in terms of the style and overall mood.

I have not, I'll definitely look into it.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is one recent film that captured that old-school political thriller feel.

To be sure. That's one of my favorite movies of the last decade.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:02 pm

The early 80s were the best for this kinda stuff.
This is your typical kids-today-are-animals, inmates-run-the-asylum, high-school is a microcosm of the decline of society movie (like Class Of Nuke 'em High, Tuff Turf, Rock 'n' Roll High School, The Principal, etc.). But because of when this falls, right in those early, gritty years of the 80s, instead of getting some uplifting bullshit like you get just a few years later with Lean On Me or even more gag-worthy with Dangerous Minds, or even the more reasonable version of this with The Principal, you get full on Punk Rock Dystopia, murder, rape, drugs, post-glam/Road Warrior looks, just general grimy badassery.

This movie is actually pretty rough. Teenagers get killed. People get raped. Kids overdose. They throw molotov cocktails into a teachers car. Mutilate all the animals in the Biology lab. One dude's thing is to whip people with a chain. And while it's all totally over the top, it is played totally straight, which is what makes it work.
But there's also a little more character development than you'd expect. While King's is all about the typical male "what do you want me to do, back down" bullshit, the villain, gang-leader Stegman, also plays the piano really well and is actually a rich kid who'd been kicked out of every other school for basically being a sociopath.
Perry King is actually well-cast for this, but you get Bonus Roddy McDowall!

Not to mention some annoying young kid who will one day ride on top of a car as a werewolf and skateboard behind cars...

Look, I'm not gonna tell y'all this is a good movie. And when the bad thing comes it is bad. I mean it's almost hard to watch the movie after that but it also adds a level of intensity and grimness that most movies just don't go for. Ultimately, the movie could have used a denouement as well. But it's really kinda worth seeing this just for a prime example of how different movies were for a brief period when the Punk Dystopia was a concern for people and somebody had already made Ms. .45.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:48 am

That's movie's much better than it has any right to be. Roddy McDowall pulling a gun on his class has to be some kind of high point for high school movies.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:42 am

Wooley wrote:
Easy Rider
Like I said in the New Hollywood thread, I think it felt like Hopper wasn't fully in control of the copious amount of stylistic experimentations he used in Easy Rider, like the bits of experimental editing where the film would rapidly flash back-and-forth between two different shots for no real reason. Compare that to the brilliant moment Mike Nichols made in The Graduate, where he used a quickly-edited triple shot to convey to us that the moment where Mrs. Robinson first tries to seduce Benjamin is simultaneously happening very quickly while also feeling as though it's lasting forever to him because of the inherent trauma of the moment, really getting inside his state of mind at that point in time. Compared to that, Rider's style just isn't as well thought-out. That being said, while not a great film to me, ER is still an interesting cinematic experience at the very least, and an essential snapshot of that era in American history.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:02 pm

Rock wrote:
That's movie's much better than it has any right to be. Roddy McDowall pulling a gun on his class has to be some kind of high point for high school movies.

Agreed.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:03 am

Stu wrote:
Like I said in the New Hollywood thread, I think it felt like Hopper wasn't fully in control of the copious amount of stylistic experimentations he used in Easy Rider, like the bits of experimental editing where the film would rapidly flash back-and-forth between two different shots for no real reason. Compare that to the brilliant moment Mike Nichols made in The Graduate, where he used a quickly-edited triple shot to convey to us that the moment where Mrs. Robinson first tries to seduce Benjamin is simultaneously happening very quickly while also feeling as though it's lasting forever to him because of the inherent trauma of the moment, really getting inside his state of mind at that point in time. Compared to that, Rider's style just isn't as well thought-out. That being said, while not a great film to me, ER is still an interesting cinematic experience at the very least, and an essential snapshot of that era in American history.

One of my favorite aspects of the film.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:04 am

The stylistic experimentation of Hopper led to creating what I feel is the only disturbingly accurate portrayal of an acid trip on film. For that alone I'm all for giving that mad dog as much leash as he wants.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:26 am

Wooley wrote:

It could have beeen worse. I could have confused this film with High School USA.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:43 am

In honor of Burt Reynolds:

Not sure I did him any favors by picking this one.
Tom Sharky is a Homicide detective who gets bumped down to Vice, where everyone is supposedly a shitty cop, when a bystander gets shot during an aggressive arrest. Sharky quickly catches on to a high-class prostitution ring and begins surveilling one prostitute, Dominoe (played by Rachel Ward), who appears to be involved with the front-running candidate for governor. However, she is also involved with some nefarious character named Victor, who is apparently a big fucking deal. Victor himself is not particularly menacing, but his hitman, the completely unhinged Billy Score (Henry Silva strikes again!, Megaforce), brings enough for everybody.

Things take off when Billy shoots a big hole in the door... and the face... of the woman Sharky is surveilling. Ol' Tom has kinda started to fall for her from afar (not creepy at all) and runs to rescue her but is too late when he finds the faceless body on the floor. He assembles his team of Vice squad failures to track and find the killer before Homicide can take over the case.

I remembered this movie being a lot better than this. I honestly struggled just to stay in it for the first hour and the second hour only gets slightly better. I mean, the villain is so unimpressive I actually didn't even realize he was the villain for a while. No shit. It's just boring for a good long while. And bad music. But then they just start throwing everything imaginable at the screen, I guess hoping some of it would stick or at least give the movie a vibe. There's a murder early on of these two people free-basing cocaine (remember that shit?), and one of them turns out to be a CIA agent, but the free-basing turns out to not have anything to do with anything, it was just there for effect, and I don't think it's ever mentioned again about the CIA. And there's a lot of cocaine around the whole time but it doesn't have much to do with the plot. Hell, one person is even on Dilaudid, which I use at the hospital. And Charles Durning, a good actor, plays the dumbest Screaming Lieutenant you've ever seen. Billy seems to have some preternatural ability to appear and disappear when and where he needs to be even if there is no hint from the narrative as to why he can do this. At one point, a character we've just met is surprise-attacked by ninjas. I swear to god. Like, there are no ninjas, or even Asians (well, except for one prostitute who's in the movie for like a minute or less) in the whole movie and then, suddenly, NINJAS!.
Aside from all that, the script is just bad. I mean, forget the ninjas for a minute, the dialogue is just awful, I mean really bad. Sometimes it seems like they're just making it up on the spot or maybe somebody's writing some shit down right before they do the scene. Just really, really bad dialogue. And there's like a whole subplot about voyeurism and all, but only for like 5 minutes and then it's over in exactly the way it's obviously gonna go.
Honestly, even Reynolds doesn't fare well here. His performance is not particularly compelling or likable for that matter, showing none of his classic charm and he doesn't really come across as especially invested. I don't blame him. But I'll close with a screenshot of him since he's gone.

I think the look on his face says it all.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:18 am

My first cheat of the season!!! :shock:

Ya know, I wanted to catch this in the theater, primarily because I did enjoy the conjuring movies and I found this character frightening (although perhaps not as much as The Crooked Man), so I broke my rule and hauled it out with a couple friends to see what looked pretty foolproof. And I kinda got hosed.
I don't even know how much time I really wanna waste talking about this movie. It is poor. No question about it, it is a poor movie. And it is a poor movie for two reasons:
1. The script is fucking awful. Just awful. All three of us agreed that if there was a script at all before shooting we'd eat our hats. Maybe there was a story. But there is no way this dialogue was written before shooting began. And really nothing is said or done that isn't there just to drag the story along. The story itself is fine if really basic. Like, if I told you the backstory to the nun was gonna be written and let's just say I gave you the hint that it takes place at the convent... wait, no one even needs THAT hint. It's all just so obvious. Backstory to nun. There's an evil nun. At a convent. Everyone is scared. Intrepid souls attempt to defeat the evil and ultimately succeed... ish (which we know since the nun already appears in a later film). I swear that is really the whole story.
To beat the dead horse of the script a little more, there are major ideas that are introduced but barely explained, there are incredible deus ex machinae, there are hilarious "this guy's never seen a horror movie" character-actions, and then there's just plain hogwash.
2. The direction of the film is just one long series of jump-scare set-ups and executions. Every jump-scare in the book (except for a cat) is used here. The character turns around and "boo!" Nun in the face! The character closes a door and "boo!" The character interacts with a mirror and "boo!" The character just fucking stands there while the camera revolves around and when it comes full circle... "boo!" You could argue that the whole movie is just dressing stretched between jump-scares. And they're executed so similarly that they start to feel telegraphed. At least three times late in the film I noted the mirror as someone walked in and waited for the boo! or caught the camera encircling the character and waited for the boo!
Now here's the thing: I LIKE jump-scares. I do. I think it's very fashionable to criticize their use but they have a purpose and an effect and can be very effective in ratcheting up fear and tension during a movie. When used well. Sparingly. In the right moments. Not when they are the whole movie. And especially not when you know exactly when they're coming.

Ok, positives... the acting is mostly good, considering how poor the script is. There are a lot of moments where people say the most eye-rolly things, but these people are professionals and they're getting paid, and Teissa Farmiga is trying to use this film to build a career, so they're all in on trying to make this awful script tolerable and maybe even fake you out that it's not as bad as it sounds. Yes, Teissa Farmiga, Vera's lil' sis, is here for reasons that are probably obvious the moment you learn that fact, but if not, will be within the first minute or two you see her.

She does a pretty good job, really, her character is what holds the movie up, other than the nun jumping out of damn near everywhere and going "boo!".
Also, the movie is pretty good looking. It retains a lot of the aesthetic from other films in the Wan-verse, while washing out all the colors, which may sound paradoxical, but you'll see what I mean. If you watch this. And there are some decent tricks, one with a shadow jumps to mind (maybe I owe the director some credit for that), couple of other scary moments, the CGI's not bad...
Anyway, I seriously can't believe I spent that much time writing about this.
I'll leave you with the greatest spoiler possible for this movie:

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:38 am

Well, of course this wasn't good, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting either.
This came on HBO when I was like late 11 or something, which is right in the correct age-range to see this movie if you're a boy, when you still wanna play with swords but you're starting to like things that are scary and for some reason you seem to be a lot more interested in the princess than you were like a year ago. Anyway, I watched this a good bit, the first time actually with my parents who really didn't give much of a shit, but I guess kinda wanted to gauge where I was at before they just unleashed me on the cable-TV box, so there we sat. All in all, I don't think either of us were traumatized. While the film certainly has its horror-like moments, courtesy of Richard Moll from Night Court in his resurrected-sorcerer makeup, there's actually very little nudity in the film (gratuitous as it may be), limited to just one scene, so if you're more worried about your children seeing nudity than you are about them seeing people stabbed to death or having their hearts ripped out (talking to you, most-of-America), you can cover their eyes for 20 seconds.

That's The Sorcerer (heart in hand, not his own I might add), in case you hadn't guessed. He's dug up for nefarious purposes by an evil king who's trying to take over the peaceful neighboring empire. Together they triumph, leading to the plot of the movie which involves the good king's son fleeing and time passing and a rogue hero arising and a rebellion in the evil king's empire and so forth. There's also, ultimately, a sort of hate-triangle that develops between our hero, Talon (with his triple-bladed sword that is not without a few tricks),

the evil king (who intends to marry the daughter of the old king, whether she likes it or not),

and The Sorcerer (who's pissed at the king but otherwise doesn't give a fuck).

The funny thing is, there's actually a lot more than that, there's significant characters crawlin' outta the woodwork in this movie, major players in addition to the four already described, such that you actually really have to follow along for about the first... well, the whole thing. New allies and shit get introduced fully 2/3 of the way through the film (and this weird movie just gets weirder when the reggae-pirate is introduced to the mix). It's kind of a complicated plot, that I'm not totally sure holds up under scrutiny (is Talon the oldest son of the old king and, in fact, the rightful heir and is he therefore about to bed his sister?), but it's actually kind of interesting if you follow along.
I've been complaining about these movies not having enough plot to sustain their run-time, this movie's bustin' at the seams with plot, to the degree it almost feels a little rushed toward the end. Additionally, on the plus side, the villain is a pretty good mustache-twirler, the hero is morally ambiguous yet pretty charming in his roguish, Errol Flynn way, and the Sorcerer, well, he'll glow your goddamn eyes out (yes, I said glow) if you're not careful. The sets are pretty decent for the budget, the fx are of the time but not awful, and overall, it's reasonably fun.

I was gonna say that this was maybe the first of the Conan ripoffs, but this was actually released a month BEFORE Conan. Now that may just indicate that they rushed this into production and out into theaters before Conan could be released, but was there really that much anticipation for Conan? And The Beastmaster came out just 3 months later.
So where does this one fall? Well, it is no Conan The Barbarian, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that, and it's probably not quite as good as The Beastmaster (cause Coscarelli made that movie WORK) or Krull for that matter, but it's not far behind it and it certainly beats the shit outta Deathstalker, if that helps you get a feel. I mean it's WAY above Deathstalker, Yor: The Hunter From The Future, kicks The Dungeonmaster's ass into the dirt, and probably mightily conquers Conquest, though I haven't seen that in ages. Believe me, I'm trying to find it.

Next up, a movie I am actually a little afraid to review here, but fuck it.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Beastmaster is one of my favs.

Tanya Roberts - hommina hommina.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:34 pm

When I was a kid, I couldn't really appreciate the qualitative gap between Sword and the Sorcerer and, say, Excalibur. I just ate up all of this vaseline-lensed fantasy "lusty epics".

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
When I was a kid, I couldn't really appreciate the qualitative gap between Sword and the Sorcerer and, say, Excalibur. I just ate up all of this vaseline-lensed fantasy "lusty epics".

Truth.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:59 pm

Am I gonna get any play on The Nun here?
That was a lot of writing for nothing, it would seem.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 pm

Wooley wrote:

Sorry, haven't seen any of the movies in that series yet.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Wooley wrote:

You're a bigger fan of Wan than I, so your negative review has convinced me not to bother with The Nun. I've seen a few of his now thanks to a friend that drags me to them. Well maybe not "drags me" but I probably wouldn't bother otherwise. I saw the film that introduced the nun character, and I found that her creepiness was undermined by the sheer volume of her appearances. "Volume" meaning loudness. Like I think she literally screams someone across a room at one point, right? Not my cup of tea.
Funny thing is, I was sort of considering The Nun just because I kept seeing Bava's name being referenced in reviews. I expected to be utterly disappointed of course, but it piqued my interest a bit anyway.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Wooley wrote:

Man, I miss these kinda movies. Espionage movies, mystery movies, where the "stakes" don't really necessarily have to go farther than the scope of the film. Everything is not blown up to Bond-villain levels and all. The movie is just a plausible Cold-War espionage thriller.
This is a sort of murder-mystery/police-procedural, set in Cold War Moscow, with Police investigator William Hurt discovering the murder and mutilation of 3 young people in Gorky Park. The work is gruesome enough to both draw suspicion on the KGB and to draw the KGB themselves into the case and Hurt is put in a dangerous position and he plays cat-and-mouse with the killer and dodges the KGB while trying to solve murders he wants nothing to do with.

The film is made the way these films should be, directly, seriously, without much flash or flair but with a real sense of competence throughout and, like Klute, plenty of still cameras and wide shots. I don't know that this is any kind of 80s classic (though I can tell you it was a big deal when it came out cause I was around), but it is a solid thriller and a rare example of its sub-genre.

One slightly weird, personal note on Gorky Park.

When I was a kid, I remember seeing a TV ad for this, they were showing it on local television. And for some weird reason, I got fixated on it and kept saying I was gonna see it (if the film was released in 1983, they probably didn't release it for TV for a year, it had to be around 1985 or 1986, so I was close to 10 years old). Not sure why, maybe because even as a kid, part of me was always curious about all this USSR/Cold War themes (I also remember seeing a TV mini-series titled Amerika, with Kris Kristofferson, around the same time). But anyway, I remember I ended up seeing the film on TV, even though I probably didn't catch most of the plot and I don't remember anything at all about it now. But it was one of those things that made me feel "adult". Really weird to think about it now.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:02 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
You're a bigger fan of Wan than I, so your negative review has convinced me not to bother with The Nun. I've seen a few of his now thanks to a friend that drags me to them. Well maybe not "drags me" but I probably wouldn't bother otherwise. I saw the film that introduced the nun character, and I found that her creepiness was undermined by the sheer volume of her appearances. "Volume" meaning loudness. Like I think she literally screams someone across a room at one point, right? Not my cup of tea.
Funny thing is, I was sort of considering The Nun just because I kept seeing Bava's name being referenced in reviews. I expected to be utterly disappointed of course, but it piqued my interest a bit anyway.

Also, I'm aware that Wan hasn't directed every one of these films, just using his name as shorthand. Let's call it the Wan-Spawn.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Hallow? That's the previous film by the director of The Nun. The thumbnail always catches my eye, but I haven't watched it yet.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:50 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

I'll have to give it some thought, but I am kind of a Bava fan and I don't recall thinking "Bava" at any time during The Nun.
Look, it's not the worst movie ever, it's just hard to care about.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:21 pm

Thief wrote:

One slightly weird, personal note on Gorky Park.

When I was a kid, I remember seeing a TV ad for this, they were showing it on local television. And for some weird reason, I got fixated on it and kept saying I was gonna see it (if the film was released in 1983, they probably didn't release it for TV for a year, it had to be around 1985 or 1986, so I was close to 10 years old). Not sure why, maybe because even as a kid, part of me was always curious about all this USSR/Cold War themes (I also remember seeing a TV mini-series titled Amerika, with Kris Kristofferson, around the same time). But anyway, I remember I ended up seeing the film on TV, even though I probably didn't catch most of the plot and I don't remember anything at all about it now. But it was one of those things that made me feel "adult". Really weird to think about it now.

No, I know exactly what you mean. It's one of the things I really enjoyed about having HBO in the early 80s was I got to see all these movies that made me feel like a grown-up.
Klute was one of those for me, this one was for sure. I'm gonna do at least one more before this month is over in the 1981, Donald Sutherland-led Eye Of The Needle (about a Nazi spy trying to escape from England back to Germany with the secret of the D-Day invasion). These kind of movies always made me feel like I was "adult".

In fact, that's really a lot of the inspiration for this thread. Others like American Gigolo, Fade To Black, and Blow Out are probably forthcoming here.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:26 pm

Wooley wrote:
I'll have to give it some thought, but I am kind of a Bava fan and I don't recall thinking "Bava" at any time during The Nun.
Look, it's not the worst movie ever, it's just hard to care about.

I think the Bava comments weren't any deeper than "it's foggy", but I've watched movies based on less, let's be honest. :)

Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:44 pm

I need to see Class of 84 again (i actually was class of 84 as well) ;)

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:28 am

Captain Terror wrote:

Speaking of which, has anyone seen The Hallow? That's the previous film by the director of The Nun. The thumbnail always catches my eye, but I haven't watched it yet.

No, but I almost bit a couple times.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next