It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 WOOLEY's Pre-Horrorthon Movie Extravaganza! 
Post Re: WOOLEY's Pre-Horrorthon Movie Extravaganza!

If you're thinking about The Cell again (and I get it, those visuals aren't bad), I'd recommend Copycat, a 1995 thriller with Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter instead.

You could argue The Retrieval (2014) is more a drama than a thriller, but what's essentially a three character drama for most of its runtime will keep you watching.

Kudos for The Class of 1984. Some messed up scenes and a bravura finale.

Didn't like Nightcrawler as much as some people, but I do get it. Solid turn from Jake Gyllenhaal and good support from Rene Russo. I think things kinda go off the rails in the third act though.

Definitely put Rare Exports on the radar. It does veer enough away from horror that September could work for it, although I do like it more as a thriller for the winter season.

Have you seen Society yet? Would recommend if you haven't. Although I'm not sure if it works better for September or October itself.

Perhaps you could look at The Love Witch? Perhaps could work for September.

Takoma, which Signal movie? The one with Lawrence Fishburne?

Rump, I do consider From Justin to Kelly to be scary. But I don't think Wooley would like it too much.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:35 am

Apex Predator wrote:
Takoma, which Signal movie? The one with Lawrence Fishburne?

No (though that one did have its moments)--I was thinking of the one that's in three parts by the different directors from 2007.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:05 am

Wooley wrote:
So I'm basically going for things that are close to horror but aren't, thrillers, aliens, shit like that, as well as things that just have weird, maybe somewhat sinister vibes, and finally CULT FILMS that are not horror. Cult films always get me excited to get into October. Hence, A Boy And His Dog.

Gotcha. So "cult film" seems better suited than "suspense", "mystery", "violent exploitation", etc. What I was less clear on was exactly how many of these films were first watches vs rewatches (and it makes sense in a lot of your picks that they're old faves), so this helps me find a more comfortable context to make some recommendations of my own:

Phase IV - I know you have this down for Oct, but personally, I'd put it more in the "head" category than horror, but either way it's solid.

Fellini's Satyricon - It makes the most bizarre parts of A Boy and His Dog look like James Ivory. Fantastic visuals and sensual atmosphere.

The Devils - Probably better suited for October, but it's actually less of a supernatural horror film than a pitch black religious evisceration. Also, fantastic visuals (Ken Russell).

Belladonna of Sadness - Very surreal and spare animated film, a little Bakshi, a little Vampire Hunter D, a lot of head-spinning imagery.

Sorcerer - Friedkin's heart of darkness descent into madness. Very tense, but takes a little patience in the first half hour or so.

A Lizard in Woman's Skin - Since you mentioned Vice is a Locked Room, I'll throw in this Italian gem, which, again, is more of a drug-soaked psychological thriller than a horror film.

Hour of the Wolf - Closest to horror that Ingmar Bergman ever got. If you haven't seen it, I'd push it to October just for its chilly air alone. If you do, substitute Persona for Sept.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders - Commonly considered horror, but more of a psychedelic fantasy parable.

Spirit of the Beehive - Spanish drama with the '31 Frankenstein at its center.

Beauty and the Beast (Panna a netvor) - Czech version of the classic tale, with lushly decrepit autumn-worthy photography and a remarkably unique creature design for the Beast.

Jodorowsky: Fando y Lis, El Topo, The Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre - Can't get more cult than this. Fill in the gaps of any you haven't seen.

Borowczyk: Immoral Tales, The Beast, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne - The latter, obviously, is the most October worthy. The other two are not very horrific at all, but still quite full of autumnal wiles.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:07 am

Rock wrote:
I'm guessing this isn't the Paul Schrader movie?

My bad, I thought this was Hardware instead. Which I would also recommend.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:11 am

Wooley wrote:
VERY different movies.

This is more embarrassing. Turns out I was thinking of National Lampoon's Class Reunion.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:16 am

Slentert wrote:
Yeah, I watched this recently and really didn't like it.

Michael Winner is one of my very least favorite directors who's worked extensively in the studio system.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:18 am

Death Proof wrote:
Gorgo
I just saw this! Seconded.

Takoma1 wrote:
Suture
Haha, yes! Definitely see this if you can.

A couple more not yet mentioned:

Morning Patrol
Tag (Sono)
The Tenant
The Bar (de la Iglesia)

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:26 am

Apex Predator wrote:
If you're thinking about The Cell again (and I get it, those visuals aren't bad), I'd recommend Copycat, a 1995 thriller with Sigourney Weaver and Holly Hunter instead.

Saw Copycat in theaters and saw it again in the last 2-3 years, I like the movie. Always loved Holly Hunter.

Kudos for The Class of 1984. Some messed up scenes and a bravura finale.

:up:

Have you seen Society yet? Would recommend if you haven't. Although I'm not sure if it works better for September or October itself.

Loved Society, I think it's October.

Perhaps you could look at The Love Witch? Perhaps could work for September.

Good call, was thinking about this but forgot about it.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:13 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Gotcha. So "cult film" seems better suited than "suspense", "mystery", "violent exploitation", etc. What I was less clear on was exactly how many of these films were first watches vs rewatches (and it makes sense in a lot of your picks that they're old faves), so this helps me find a more comfortable context to make some recommendations of my own:

Phase IV - I know you have this down for Oct, but personally, I'd put it more in the "head" category than horror, but either way it's solid.

Fellini's Satyricon - It makes the most bizarre parts of A Boy and His Dog look like James Ivory. Fantastic visuals and sensual atmosphere.

The Devils - Probably better suited for October, but it's actually less of a supernatural horror film than a pitch black religious evisceration. Also, fantastic visuals (Ken Russell).

Belladonna of Sadness - Very surreal and spare animated film, a little Bakshi, a little Vampire Hunter D, a lot of head-spinning imagery.

Sorcerer - Friedkin's heart of darkness descent into madness. Very tense, but takes a little patience in the first half hour or so.

A Lizard in Woman's Skin - Since you mentioned Vice is a Locked Room, I'll throw in this Italian gem, which, again, is more of a drug-soaked psychological thriller than a horror film.

Hour of the Wolf - Closest to horror that Ingmar Bergman ever got. If you haven't seen it, I'd push it to October just for its chilly air alone. If you do, substitute Persona for Sept.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders - Commonly considered horror, but more of a psychedelic fantasy parable.

Spirit of the Beehive - Spanish drama with the '31 Frankenstein at its center.

Beauty and the Beast (Panna a netvor) - Czech version of the classic tale, with lushly decrepit autumn-worthy photography and a remarkably unique creature design for the Beast.

Jodorowsky: Fando y Lis, El Topo, The Holy Mountain, Santa Sangre - Can't get more cult than this. Fill in the gaps of any you haven't seen.

Borowczyk: Immoral Tales, The Beast, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne - The latter, obviously, is the most October worthy. The other two are not very horrific at all, but still quite full of autumnal wiles.

Yeah, Phase IV is in for sure, I was thinking October, but maybe it could be late September (I try to build toward it, looking at Deep Red for the last day of September).
Would love to see The Devils, been wanting to for a long time, just haven't seen it streaming.
Oddly, Belladonna of Sadness has been on my radar.
Totally into Lizard In A Woman's Skin, if I can find it streaming, it's in.
Valerie is 100, I been meaning to watch it for years and somehow it keeps slipping past me.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:18 pm

Body Double-Goofy fun
The 'Burbs-Hilarious
Forbidden Planet-Yey
Deep Red-Awesome and gory
Brazil-Masterpiece
Videodrome-LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH
Blow Out-"It's a good scream."
Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene-Best remake of Let's Scare Jessica To Death ever
Blue Velvet-"DON'T BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR."
Black Swan-Freaky
Time After Time-Lots of fun
Suicide Club-Needs a rewatch, bizarre
Beyond The Black Rainbow-Interesting yet limited

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:54 pm

For some weird fantasy with a pinch of horror, I recommend Tale of Tales. (currently streaming on Netflix)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
For some weird fantasy with a pinch of horror, I recommend Tale of Tales. (currently streaming on Netflix)

Oh yeah, that's way up the list, meant to put it on the original. Good call.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:58 pm

MadMan wrote:
Martha, Marcy, May, Marlene-Best remake of Let's Scare Jessica To Death ever

I really like both of these films . . . but would never think to connect them. Where do you see the resonance between them?

Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:13 am

Spanish thrillers are hella awesome...

Julia's Eyes
The Uninvited Guest
The Body
The Invisible Guest
Sleep Tight
Marshland
The Hidden Face
Timecrimes
The Fury of a Patient Man
Shrews Nest
The Night of the Sunflowers

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:59 am

Rump wrote:
Spanish thrillers are hella awesome...

Julia's Eyes
The Uninvited Guest
The Body
The Invisible Guest
Sleep Tight
Marshland
The Hidden Face
Timecrimes
The Fury of a Patient Man
Shrews Nest
The Night of the Sunflowers

Interesting.
Been meaning to watch Timecrimes for forever, so I'll put that one on for sure.
Some of the other ones look supernatural though, and that sorta auto-bumps them into October.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:31 am

Wooley wrote:
Interesting.
Been meaning to watch Timecrimes for forever, so I'll put that one on for sure.
Some of the other ones look supernatural though, and that sorta auto-bumps them into October.

None of them are supernatural, just plain evil folks

Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:19 am

Rump wrote:

None of them are supernatural, just plain evil folks

Gotcha, I've had it in my head for years that Julia's Eyes was supernatural and I've been meaning to watch it too.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Also, I forgot to put Visiting Hours on my list, which I intended to with all the recent chit-chat. I started this once but did not finish it, just because it wasn't what I thought it was gonna be, wanted, but it sounds like it might be a good fit for September.
So that's on there.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:47 pm

Wooley wrote:
Also, I forgot to put Visiting Hours on my list, which I intended to with all the recent chit-chat. I started this once but did not finish it, just because it wasn't what I thought it was gonna be, wanted, but it sounds like it might be a good fit for September.
So that's on there.

Visiting Hours is fabulous.

I'll also second Julia's Eyes, The Uninvited Guest, and The Invisible Guest as being really good, horror-adjacent films.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:06 pm

Alright, well, I didn't ask you guys cause I don't trust you, so let's put 'em on the list.
What we'll do in the next week is try to whittle this down to a list of 15-20 movies that I can commit to and feel excited about, or maybe 25 or so to give me some wiggle-room.
Then, come September, when I don't have any crazy commitments like I do in October, I can start sharing my reactions and writing things up and we can have a nice pow-wow about all these things.
(Someone is gonna have to advise me on getting some kind of images-hosting deal up and running again, though, since photobucket shit the bed).

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Raw
Mute Witness
Maps to the Stars
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Isle of Dogs

Just a few picks for you.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 pm

Wooley wrote:
(Someone is gonna have to advise me on getting some kind of images-hosting deal up and running again, though, since photobucket shit the bed).

https://postimages.org/

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Wooley wrote:

https://imgur.com/

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:54 pm

Looking at Amazon Prime, I see where they've added Ganja & Hess, a cult film of the best kind. Ostensibly horror, but very very strange and unconventional. A strong recommendation here for whichever month you can squeeze it.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:39 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Looking at Amazon Prime, I see where they've added Ganja & Hess, a cult film of the best kind. Ostensibly horror, but very very strange and unconventional. A strong recommendation here for whichever month you can squeeze it.

I'll double down on this recommendation.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:50 am

Interesting, I'd heard of this but not about it, didn't know it was something I should have on my radar, but two recs in a row for it, I'll look to work that in.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:44 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I really like both of these films . . . but would never think to connect them. Where do you see the resonance between them?

Its more of a loose connection in that both are about a woman losing her grip on sanity due to certain forces beyond her control. Also the cult in Marlene kind of reminded me of the locals in Jessica. Marlene has a lot of other elements that remind me of Jessica, too (rural area setting, eerie ending that is unsettling, one character who seems to have sway over others). I would have to rewatch both films to further flesh out these ideas out, however.

"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:40 am

Not a big fan of Visiting Hours. Ganja & Hess is awesome and recommended.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:43 am

MadMan wrote:
Its more of a loose connection in that both are about a woman losing her grip on sanity due to certain forces beyond her control. Also the cult in Marlene kind of reminded me of the locals in Jessica. Marlene has a lot of other elements that remind me of Jessica, too (rural area setting, eerie ending that is unsettling, one character who seems to have sway over others). I would have to rewatch both films to further flesh out these ideas out, however.

I gotcha. Both do have a dreamy, paranoia-tinged atmosphere. To me, Let's Scare Jessica To Death is about the horror of not knowing if what you are experiencing is real. The main impact that Martha Marcy May Marlene had was this idea of someone who is a bit damaged getting to a point where she doesn't really belong anywhere and there are people who both make her feel safe and want to take advantage of her.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:21 am

ski petrol wrote:
Raw
Mute Witness
Maps to the Stars
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Isle of Dogs

Just a few picks for you.

I will second Raw, although I'm not sure whether it's more for September or October. There's a few moments that it's kind of hard to watch, but enough works that it's recommendable.

Mute Witness is from 1995, right? The one with a mute makeup artist who sees a murder on film? Eh, I didn't care for it outside of

the surprise guest who showed up out of nowhere.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:04 am

Takoma1 wrote:

I gotcha. Both do have a dreamy, paranoia-tinged atmosphere. To me, Let's Scare Jessica To Death is about the horror of not knowing if what you are experiencing is real. The main impact that Martha Marcy May Marlene had was this idea of someone who is a bit damaged getting to a point where she doesn't really belong anywhere and there are people who both make her feel safe and want to take advantage of her.

Exactly. I found my review of it from my old film thread that I did on this site:

Quote:
For some reason even though this is not a horror film Martha Marcy May Marlene reminds me of the 1970s cult classic horror film Let's Scare Jessica To Death. Both films have that eerie dream quality, and feature a main female protagonist who may or may not be going insane due to events that quickly spiral out of control. Martha Marcy May Marlene on the other hand showcases the roots of Martha's problems through flashbacks that reveal dark secrets and some horrible things that happened to her in a cult run by a charismatic and creepy leader played by the usually great John Hawkes. Some of this film is quite tragic and sad, as Martha is beyond damaged and haunted by what happened to her as she completely lost herself to a group that pretends to be harmless while in fact devouring the mind, body, and soul. However we, the viewer, are left to wonder how much of that part of Martha's life is real and what might be fantasy, as she attempts to rebuild her life after escaping the cult and moving in with her sister, the tightly wound Lucy and her husband Ted. Neither one realizes until its too late that Martha is emotionally fragile, having been pushed to the boundaries of her sanity by Patrick and his followers.

Elizabeth Olson is fantastic in the main role, and although this movie is at times generic in terms of plot she keeps it steady and focused. She embodies Martha's fragility and vulnerability perfectly, contrasting against her sister Lucy, who Sarah Paulson breaths life into. Lucy at first is happy to see Martha, yet after many incidents her patience is forced past the breaking point. Its rather depressing to watch their relationship completely unravel, yet by the end of the film its clear that Martha and Lucy were never really close. While I felt this was a great and captivating movie I'm not sure if I care for the ending or not. I get what the final act is trying to accomplish, and although I did feel a sense of tension and unease I was a little unsatisfied. Still this is one of the best films of 2011, and is one of those films that manages to cover multiple genres without sticking to any one of them.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Raw is freaky and intense. I would love a double bill of it and Ginger Snaps.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:06 pm

MadMan wrote:
Raw is freaky and intense. I would love a double bill of it and Ginger Snaps.

That would really be a great double bill. Love both movies.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:21 pm
Profile WWW

If you haven't seen it, Colossus: The Forbin Project is a rather scary sci-fi film about AI.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:32 am

I'm gonna need some more stalker/slasher type movies for September though. Again, no supernatural but mystery/thriller kinda deals maybe even some giallo-type deals that definitely have no ghost or witch or vampire or anything. But I'd also like some American films if we can find 'em. Dressed To Kill kinda movies and the like.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:45 am

Wooley wrote:
I'm gonna need some more stalker/slasher type movies for September though. Again, no supernatural but mystery/thriller kinda deals maybe even some giallo-type deals that definitely have no ghost or witch or vampire or anything. But I'd also like some American films if we can find 'em. Dressed To Kill kinda movies and the like.

If you can find them, maybe through, ahem, paralegal means, Amer and The Strange Color of your Body's Tears are absolutely outstanding.

There's a shockingly violent Chinese slasher type movie called Home, which I'd strongly recommend if you're into that.

There's a slasher-y, zero supernatural but very horror-y 1997 movie called Cure, by Kiyoshi Kurosawa

Profondo Rosso is fantastic, but you've certainly seen that already.

For October itself, I'll also recommend the Japanese movies Noroi, Kansen, Marebito, Uzumaki and Occult, in that order some or most of which you can find on Youtube.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:32 am

Charles wrote:

If you can find them, maybe through, ahem, paralegal means, Amer and The Strange Color of your Body's Tears are absolutely outstanding.

The Latter Has Been On iTunes for a pretty long time, I think it still is.

Profondo Rosso is fantastic, but you've certainly seen that already.

Never seen it, will likely be my lead-in movie to October, like September 30th.

For October itself, I'll also recommend the Japanese movies Noroi, Kansen, Marebito, Uzumaki and Occult, in that order some or most of which you can find on Youtube.

I'll see if I can check them out.

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Charles wrote:
If you haven't seen it, Colossus: The Forbin Project is a rather scary sci-fi film about AI.

Same with Demon Seed.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Wooley wrote:

Suspicious Death of a Minor

Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Death Proof wrote:

Same with Demon Seed.

The one Julie Christie carries?

Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:47 pm

Wooley wrote:

Yep. Proteus - the super computer - is also voiced by Robert Vaughan. Hell, he can impregnate me any day.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:51 pm

Wooley wrote:

I want to point out for clarification that I saw where a completely different film named Demon Seed is on Prime, and that it should not be confused with the Julie Christie film, and in fact avoided if possible. This different film, also titled Demon Rage and Satan's Mistress, stars Britt Ekland, even though she's barely in the film. In some ways more reminiscent of The Entity, it's about a lonely woman who begins nighttime psychic trysts with some kind of satanic looking stud. Just awful. Don't be fooled!

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:34 am

Easy Rider

Well, I said Cult Films would definitely count for this and I don't know if they come any more cult than Easy Rider.
This really wasn't on my radar for any time soon until y'all started talking about it and then I cam home last night and I had left the TV on. I looked at the screen and thought, "that's a great shot... and I love the feel of this, what is it?" And then I thought, "Wait, I've seen this. Wait, this is the very first scene of Easy Rider!" So I sat down to stay up very late.
Man, so rewarding. This movie is just amazing. It's everything I want an independent film to be and it's still as edgy today as it was the first time I saw it. I mean, I actually can't recall an independent film I've seen in a long time that 's as raw and real as this film, while still remaining engaging and entertaining and at times inspiring and at others kinda devastating. There is so much here about a time and about freedom and about America. It's a beautiful film with amazing cinematography and kinda startling creativity and still with a killer soundtrack that is just used so perfectly. From the opening bars of Steppenwolf's "The Pusher" (I didn't even remember that was in this film) to the Byrds' light yet pointed "I Wasn't Born To Follow" to the humorous "Don't Bogart That Joint" to Hendrix's crushing "If 6 Was 9", the music is a critical part of the power of the film's moments. Hopper's frantic performance just seems so real and kinda grounds the whole movie for me, while Nicholson injects this roguish avatar for the viewer through the second half of the film, and Fonda keeps his stupid mouth shut and just looks cool. It all just works so well.

I've read all about how crazy making this film was and how totally unhinged Hopper was and how the film was kinda constantly coming apart at the barely-existing seams, but it all came together in a glorious independent film that sets the New Hollywood rolling and ushers in a wave of film we will never see the like of again, all while making amazing commentary on our country, our national identity, what it means to be free, and what freedom is up against.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:12 am

"Don't feel bad about losing your virtue, I sort of knew you would. Everybody does."

They don't make 'em like this anymore or at least not very often. A-list actors in a two-hour movie with no action that still feels tense the entire time. A mystery, but one without gunfights or car-chases, where the most rewarding thing is the characters and their dialogue and their arcs. And honestly, it's a pretty grim, very frank movie, but its grit seems real and it maintains a real sense of menace throughout.
The mystery is the search for a missing man, a good family-man whose disappearance turns up evidence of a double-life. His best friend is a private investigator who decides to take the case to find the man and put together the puzzle of what happened to him. This will bring him to go to New York to meet a woman named Bree, who will become the central character of the film.
It's really an amazing character study of Bree Daniels, played by Jane Fonda, who is really the main character. John Klute, the title character played by Donald Sutherland, is a someone that she collides with due to the mystery and the two become intertwined. But it all really revolves around her and her world. The sessions with her therapist are really great, it gives an opportunity for her to tell the audience exactly how she feels and what is going on as far as she knows, but the way it's written and the way Fonda portrays it makes it feel very organic and even a little oblique even though you're looking right at her while she tells you everything. It's interesting that the therapist is always sitting facing another direction with just her head always turned toward Bree. It is additionally important that Bree is an aspiring actress and equates her professional acting with her other professional acting as a call-girl. The movie makes much of her ability to portray roles and manipulate men and know exactly what to say.

But the movie is not really a study of her character, it is a mystery, at least of a sort. While her character's journey is critical to the film there is actually a dangerous, threatening, and possibly homicidal person on the loose, giving the film a story worth following. It's all constructed very well because the film actually reveals who the villain is pretty early but somehow it spoils nothing. It is John Klute's job to put together that which we already know and ultimately protect Bree from a fate that is sneaking around in the shadows and watching her through her skylight, while the story unfolds.

The climax of the film is elevated by razor-sharp writing when we see Bree's acting become her undoing as the villain turns out to be the kind of person who is too intelligent to fall for her performance yet his misinterpretation of what her lies mean makes her his next victim.
I would probably describe this, frankly, as sort of a much better version of DePalma's Dressed To Kill.
This is a smartly written, sharply acted, and tightly and expertly directed film that deserves to be remembered along some of the better films of the 1970s. The cinematography is flat-out excellent, as is the score and the use of music and silence. The performances are uniformly perfect and the story itself is more than satisfying.

"There are little corners of... everyone... which are better off left alone."

Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:52 am

What's my excuse?
Well, what are Catwoman Julie Newmar, Gilligan's Island's Ginger Tina Louise, Eaten Alive's Neville Brand, and John Fucking Carradine doing in a sci-fi-slasher/skinemax flick with porn-star Amber Lynn?
One has to know.
And now I do.
This is Ed Wood-level stuff with actually less sex than seemingly advertised, but more space/glam-rock costumes than anticipated. But, like, the ones you get in a plastic bag for $14.99 at Party City.

Also, there's accidental necrophilia within the first five minutes. So, yeah.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:46 am

Coming up... a low-budget eco-horror/heist-flick (no shit) from my childhood that contains a shot where a crew-member is caught standing behind a miniature set so that it appears a 30 ft. tall man is trying to behind a power-station.

Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:14 am

Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:07 am

This lil gem used to run on HBO back when we first got it back in 1981. Another spawn of Jaws, capitalizing on the eco-horror B-movie boom the '75 classic wrought, this movie has a unique take that makes it a little more interesting and a cast that keeps the painfully stretched-out proceedings entertaining.
The plot follows a group of thieves who pull off a jewel heist (that pretty comically makes Golan-Globus levels of sense, seeing that the jewels are hidden deep within what appears to be a POWER PLANT with a military) in Brazil and temporarily hide the gems from their pursuers at the bottom of a lake with the plan to retrieve them in 60 days when the heat blows over. To ensure that no member of the gang tries to retrieve the jewels on their own, the mastermind of the heist releases piranhas into the lake. Toothy hijinks ensue.

This really isn't the worst movie plot you've ever heard of and Lee Majors (showing big-screen levels of charisma here), Karen Black, Margaux Hemingway, and a fat guy you will recognize the moment he opens his mouth are game to make this feel like it almost could have been a legit theatrical release. However, when the movie reaches the 3rd act and there isn't one and the standard dollar-movie strategy of stretching out a 50-minute script to 90-minute run-time combined with a paucity of actual piranha attacks makes it a bit of a slog in the end. And when someone falls off a raft into a school of piranha for no apparent reason at all and instead of swimming for shore swims back to the boat everyone was trying to escape, you'll be rolling your eyes (and wondering what the urgency to get off the boat was; what were the piranha gonna eat it?). Or when a rescue plane crashes without any cause you can discern at all, you'll start to feel like you're at the ole Dollar Theater out on Airline Highway. But, hey, we've all been there. You've seen worse movies, I assure you. I know I have cause I just watched Megaforce.

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:37 am

Wooley wrote:

Ya gotta love Lee Majors bitch slapping that guy (despite it being a foot out) :D

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 233 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next