It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #12: The Heartbreak Kid (Sat. 09/01) 
Post Re: Corrie Class Trip 3.0 #12: The Heartbreak Kid (Sat. 09/0

Watched Ishtar last night to complete my "Month of May", if you will. In hindsight it's easy to see why it wasn't popular. The subtle cringe-comedy of the opening scenes is traditionally not rewarded with box office popularity (King of Comedy, etc), it becomes even less funny during the desert scenes, and the closest thing to a love interest really isn't one, and she spends the film wrapped from head to toe. This all would've been more forgivable with a smaller film, but adding copter fights and so on would've inflated the budget more than this film could support. As others have said, a male director would've gotten another chance after this, but it's not a complete surprise to me that this flopped.

Having said all that, the first 30 minutes or so, dealing with the songwriting process, were absolutely brilliant and I was prepared to call this my favorite movie at that point. I intend to use the phrase "lip-smackin' back-slappin' good" as often as possible in my daily life. I admit I'm having a hard time grasping what they were going for with the espionage plot and I sort of zoned out once they started wandering the desert. If anyone wants to explain/defend that choice I'm all ears. But a film about the songwriting team could've been exceptional so I'm sorry they didn't stick with that. Even so, I loved that first sequence enough that I can see myself buying this one day for my collection.

(Also I'm a big fan of Isabelle Adjani and was disappointed by how little she was given to do here.)

Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:04 pm

It's trying to be a Bing Crosby-Bob Hope Road To movie where an entertainment duo ends up in some "exotic" locale and hijinx ensue

Coca Cola temporarily owned Columbia and had a bunch of revenue they had to spend in Morocco, so they had to shoot there, but also Beatty was hoping to do a Shampoo type of political satire as the backdrop of a comedy again, showing Reagan-era CIA involvement in suppressing populist leftist uprisings

I love it all and agree the first half would be great as its own movie, liking Charles Grodin helps some with the second half too

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:01 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
Watched Ishtar last night to complete my "Month of May", if you will. In hindsight it's easy to see why it wasn't popular. The subtle cringe-comedy of the opening scenes is traditionally not rewarded with box office popularity (King of Comedy, etc), it becomes even less funny during the desert scenes, and the closest thing to a love interest really isn't one, and she spends the film wrapped from head to toe. This all would've been more forgivable with a smaller film, but adding copter fights and so on would've inflated the budget more than this film could support. As others have said, a male director would've gotten another chance after this, but it's not a complete surprise to me that this flopped.

Having said all that, the first 30 minutes or so, dealing with the songwriting process, were absolutely brilliant and I was prepared to call this my favorite movie at that point. I intend to use the phrase "lip-smackin' back-slappin' good" as often as possible in my daily life. I admit I'm having a hard time grasping what they were going for with the espionage plot and I sort of zoned out once they started wandering the desert. If anyone wants to explain/defend that choice I'm all ears. But a film about the songwriting team could've been exceptional so I'm sorry they didn't stick with that. Even so, I loved that first sequence enough that I can see myself buying this one day for my collection.

(Also I'm a big fan of Isabelle Adjani and was disappointed by how little she was given to do here.)

I imagine all of this was my take as well, since the only parts I recall are all in the first 30 minutes. Which is probably why I generally have favorable feelings towards it and have never appreciated the out of proportion hate it gets. I'm sure if I rewatched it (which I don't really have any plans to do) I would not be a fan of the desert portions, since I have a general dislike towards comedies that veer towards action in their final reels. For me, action movies can have comedy in them, but comedies should stay the fuck away from action. Midnight Run may be the only exception I can think of in regards to this.

Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:46 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
I would not be a fan of the desert portions

Again, as I alluded earlier, my favorite laugh from the film is where the two find inspiration for a song while lost in the desert with nothing to write it down. This is largely set up by the film's first half hour or so, where we can understand how rare such an inspiration has been for these hapless hacks and how desperately inconvenient these bursts of inspiration tend to be.

For sharing a decade with the likes of other attempts at political comedy as Best Defense and Deal of the Century, it really is baffling how anyone could name Ishtar as the "worst comedy of all time". I could name probably another 20 comedies from the 80s alone which could clobber Ishtar's mediocrity into providence.

And although I like Stripes well enough, it's the epitome of an ill-advised action-packed third act that nearly sinks the ship.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:24 am

wigwam wrote:
It's trying to be a Bing Crosby-Bob Hope Road To movie where an entertainment duo ends up in some "exotic" locale and hijinx ensue

I'm ok with that part of it, I guess my problem was similar to what Crumb mentioned. The fish-out-of-water element has lots of possibilities so I'm not against the shift to Morocco but I'm less interested in watching these characters shoot at helicopters.

I'd forgotten about Beatty's tendency toward the political so that makes sense now that you mention it, but unfortunately it didn't make for a better film for me.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:59 am

crumbsroom wrote:
I have a general dislike towards comedies that veer towards action in their final reels.

A pet peeve of mine also, and it's SO common. Even my beloved Strange Brew involves a World Domination Plot. Why? It's based on a skit that was literally two guys on a couch.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:07 am

Jinnistan wrote:
And although I like Stripes well enough, it's the epitome of an ill-advised action-packed third act that nearly sinks the ship.

It's almost like that one was the prototype for all that followed. Like Ishtar, it is another that I have seemed to block out the final reel, and simply remember it for what I like.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:41 am

haha love isolating these examples of this bad subgenre

Spies Like Us is another one from that same era

Pineapple Express successfully did an action third act I think but by using a layer of meta/irony and pastiche of real 80s action not comedy-action (whereas Adaptation still felt boring even with the irony/meta layer)

Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:21 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Even my beloved Strange Brew involves a World Domination Plot. Why? It's based on a skit that was literally two guys on a couch.

Isn't that part of the joke? It's ridiculous, but it doesn't have the kind of Cold War posturing of these other films. (Or at least it doesn't take any of these things seriously.)

wigwam wrote:
(whereas Adaptation still felt boring even with the irony/meta layer)

Balderdash. I like that once the film commits to "the pedal", it escalates quickly, and absurdly, enough to get it over with.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:21 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Isn't that part of the joke? It's ridiculous, but it doesn't have the kind of Cold War posturing of these other films. (Or at least it doesn't take any of these things seriously.)

Right, it's not the worst example but a Bob & Doug plot didn't have to be any more complex than "Trying to find donuts at 3 am" or something. That would've been funnier to me than the mind-control-hockey thing. Again, there's way worse examples.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Yeah, Stripes is probably ground zero for this trope. I think that stuff works better in Ishtar (even though the movie as a whole is definitely not as good as Stripes) as the heroes' tunnel vision during the whole thing seems to be part of the joke. It also gives us Charles Grodin, who's probably the best thing in the movie.

Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Rock wrote:
Charles Grodin, who's probably the best thing in the movie.

He was the best thing in the '76 King Kong remake too.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:02 pm

I'm tempted to give that one a rewatch next month, as I haven't seen it since I was a wee lad.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:06 pm

https://www.criterion.com/films/27895-mikey-and-nicky

yay-- Mikey and Nicky getting a Criterion release in January

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:37 pm

I know it hasn't even been 3 months but I'm really starting to miss these class trips.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:11 pm
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
I know it hasn't even been 3 months but I'm really starting to miss these class trips.
Same here. If you start it, I will come.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:00 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Same here. If you start it, I will come.

+1

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:02 pm

Screw waiting 6 months. Why not just do it now?

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:05 pm

Alright. Who wants to pick the next round? I have a hard time suggesting something, since I don't know what is easily available in the US...

Otherwise I'd definitely pick Ex Drummer.

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:15 pm
Profile WWW

I am in the midst of peak season at the warehouse (fuck Christmas) so I'm probably not going to be participating unless it is convenient for me, time-wise. (but if I do, I have a ton of unwatched movies on my PC for just such an occasion)

and after I've seen Oh Lucy and The Heartbreak Kid.

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 pm

I'd pick something, but with finals coming up, I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to watch it. Slentert, you can go next if you want.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:33 am

Slentert wrote:
Alright. Who wants to pick the next round? I have a hard time suggesting something, since I don't know what is easily available in the US...

Otherwise I'd definitely pick Ex Drummer.

Ooohhh, my video store carries this.

I approve of this pick.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Rock wrote:
Video... store? Where do you live anyway, 1998?

:D

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Stu wrote:
Video... store? Where do you live anyway, 1998?

:D

Haha, somebody made that same comment to me yesterday. They said 1995 though.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:38 am

Rock wrote:

I approve of this pick.

I don't want to get too dusty finding these films.

"How about Godard's Un femme coquette? Oooh! Can you not afford a plane ticket to Geneva?"

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:00 am

Jinnistan wrote:

"How about Godard's Un femme coquette? Oooh! Can you not afford a plane ticket to Geneva?"

Let me save you the cost of a plane ticket.

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:19 pm

Jinnistan wrote:

It's hard for me to know what is easily available for you all. I'd like to pick something from Belgium to share some of my own culture, but that doesn't give us many choices...

So who wants to pick the next round?
Rock?

Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:21 pm
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
It's hard for me to know what is easily available for you all. I'd like to pick something from Belgium to share some of my own culture, but that doesn't give us many choices...

Rock?

Ex Drummer is available in the US here, in not-great-but-still-watchable condition:

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:28 pm

Slentert wrote:

Rock?

Eh, considering that you took the initiative of bumping this and Captain Terror found a halfway watchable copy of your pick, I'd prefer you go ahead this round.

I don't mind going next round although barely anybody watched my last pick, haha.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:25 pm

Rock wrote:
Eh, considering that you took the initiative of bumping this and Captain Terror found a halfway watchable copy of your pick, I'd prefer you go ahead this round.

I don't mind going next round although barely anybody watched my last pick, haha.

I'm fine with that if everyone agrees on Ex Drummer.

Also, I think I can find an
illegal download
with English subtitles in slightly better quality if you aren't morally against such things... :shifty:

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:58 pm
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
I'm fine with that if everyone agrees on Ex Drummer.

Also, I think I can find an
illegal download
with English subtitles in slightly better quality if you aren't morally against such things... :shifty:

Post both links in the thread and I suppose we could just choose from the two.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 pm

Count me as another vote for Ex Drummer.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2