It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon 
Post Re: Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon

All that said, it was nice to see my little friend from Night Of The Comet again.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:31 am

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:49 am

Oh, and here's a hint as to what the next movie is:

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:51 am

Trick R Treat rewatch?

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:59 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Trick R Treat rewatch?

You so smart.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:55 am

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 am

And another Halloween favorite:

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:58 am

We watched 2 full movies last night and then also about the first 20 minutes of The Hunger.
Man, if you just wanna set the mood, you could do a lot worse than the opening scene of that movie.

And yes, that song will be the next video posted here, don't spoil it for those who don't know. :P

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:58 am

I have actually reviewed this film at least 3 times over the last 12 years on RT/Corri, so I will not belabor the point.
This is the modern-day Halloween classic. This is the one.
3 of us who had seen it showed it last night to 4 who had not, and they all loved it and were stunned that they had never even heard of it. they wondered how something that good could fly under the radar.
As always, the Red Riding Hood story played the best of the individual "chapters", but the newcomers were also really impressed with how the wrap-around was actually part of the narrative of each story and how it all sort of flowed and each story was present within all the other stories.

There was much praise.
Anyway, Trick 'r' Treat wins again, it's always so easy for me to win an audience with this, and it really gets everyone in the Halloween mood, as you can see.

I normally watch this either Halloween night or the night before, depending on parties, but this year we used it to kind of get the Halloween mood going, and it worked in spades.

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:13 pm

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:32 pm

The second half of our double-feature the other night continues to help usher in the Season. Combined with Trick 'r' Treat you can cover a lot of ground with these two movies, including Halloween tropes, Anthology/Omnibus, Horror-comedy, Meta-horror, Homage, plus Sigourney Weaver.
I'm sure everyone's seen Cabin In The Woods so I won't dwell too long, and if I remember, there are haters about as well. I'll never understand that, I think this is an extremely well-executed horror movie on its own, but is also a very funny horror-comedy, and a very clever meta-horror, almost completely successful in all phases, so I don't get hate for this or even less than, like. But there's no accounting for taste so I will politely agree to disagree in advance with anyone who has problems with this movie.
It's about as much fun as I think you can hope to have if you're a horror fan and it was a big success with our 3 noobs during our double-feature.
I will add, as I mentioned in the previous write-up, that I usually watch these two either Halloween night or the night before depending on parties, but I actually think they may work BETTER as a ramp-up for the season.
I will leave us with, our greatest virtue, Patience.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:26 am

Wooley wrote:
I usually watch these two either Halloween night or the night before depending on parties, but I actually think they may work BETTER as a ramp-up for the season.

I gotta say, this slasher/80s thing I've got going on is not really putting me in a Halloween mood. Watching people get stabbed to an arena rock soundtrack is doing nothing for me. It's only day 8, I'm not sure I can last all month without sneaking some Barbara Steele in there somewhere.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 am

Love that poster for Cabin in the Woods. I watch it every Halloween without fail.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:35 am

My sister and I saw Cabin in the Woods at the theater and had a blast. I know that the theater experience always adds a star or two to my movie ratings, but whatever. It was good fun and the audience was really into it.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:06 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I gotta say, this slasher/80s thing I've got going on is not really putting me in a Halloween mood. Watching people get stabbed to an arena rock soundtrack is doing nothing for me. It's only day 8, I'm not sure I can last all month without sneaking some Barbara Steele in there somewhere.

That's why I don't really watch slashers during October unless they've got a supernatural component or just are super-creepy and/or well-done.
Like, Terror Train works great for Halloween because there's actually a costume-party going on on the titular train.
And obviously Halloween works cuz Halloween.
My Bloody Valentiine works because the killer is so monster-like (like Michael and Jason) and it's got a lot of style.
But no, I wouldn't wanna watch random slashers for the best 31 days of the year.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:49 pm

The Ghost Spider Of Death!!! :shock:

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:52 pm

Wooley wrote:
Damn, nice work. I've seen, like 4, I'll get to 6 tonight. All this month. I don't expect to break 20 though, with all the travel I have to do.

I have no life, though haha and I stay up late due to my night job (3-11 pm).

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:44 pm

Wooley wrote:
All that said, it was nice to see my little friend from Night Of The Comet again.

Night of the Comet rules.

"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:45 pm

What's Halloween without a visit to...

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:41 pm

John Dumbear wrote:

I love that movie. I feel like I remember it dragging a bit in the middle, but mostly it's just so awesomely nuts it wins.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:17 am

It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:24 am

Well, I said I would revisit this in light of all the recent chatter and I did. So what is there to say about it?
Well, it's still the weakest of the Trilogy, but I think that's probably obvious and doesn't need to be stated.
But, it's a lot better than I remembered, although I am having to admit now that maybe, as that phrase keeps coming up, I've just seen a lot more bad horror movies now than when I first saw HbtC.
For those who have not seen it, this is the middle film in Fulci's Gates Of Hell Trilogy, which a lot of people seem to agree was an accidental trilogy, especially since there's little if any mention of any gates or of Hell in this film, which should, by definition, bridge the other two.
The story, which was recently compared to The Shining, did not feel at all like The Shining to me. A family moves to a new place because of the husband's work, the place is haunted, and there is some sort of "psychic friend"... ok, that does kinda sound like The Shining (do you wanna get sued?!), but it never feels, to me at least, like never, like The Shining or like they were trying to do The Shining. And I only say that because it occurred to me about 2/3 of the way through the movie that that idea had been put forth and that I just really wasn't feeling it. Likely this is largely because the father is the least prominent character in the film, to the degree that I actually forgot he was even in the movie TWICE before he came back on screen and I was like, "Oh, shit, I forgot there was a dad in all this." But also because this house isn't really haunted, it's inhabited. I'll say no more.
Except that I have to say that in some ways, really a lot of them, this movie is actually just a slasher-film. I struggle to understand its connection with the mythology of City Of The Living Dead and The Beyond. I'm sure there were a few lines of dialogue somewhere that I wasn't paying attention to because why would you pay attention to the dialogue in this film, but I missed 'em.
Now, it sounds like I'm dogging this film, but I'm not. I liked it, for what it is. As usual, Fulci is good with cameras and sets and setting the mood.

And the film has really good kills for the budget, for what that's worth, and has a wonderfully batshit craziness about it. Like, I feel like, this movie might actually make simultaneously the most and least sense of the Trilogy: the most because the story is actually, ultimately, so simple, and the least because even with that simplicity, you're still left scratching your head. For example, it is strongly hinted that the nanny is a puppet of the villain, so why does the villain just randomly murder her when she's doing her job, other than because they needed another kill? I mean, it was foreshadowed, but does it make any sense even with the foreshadowing?
Regardless, I LOVED this shit, which kinda makse the whole thing worthwhile...

but also makes you wish the movie was just a little more focused, particularly on this part of the movie. I mean, it somehow almost comes as a surprise that the story is about this and then you're like, oh, that's what this is all about, awesome... but it's so tenuous.
Anyway, the great thing about it is that it's still so Fulcian that it ends up being worth watching regardless of its shortcomings; it just has great mood, especially for The Season.

But man, whoever said it was so right, that fucking kid is just unbearable.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:34 pm

House By The Cemetery is awesome. Bob is the MVP.

Motel Hell is dumb fun. I wrote an essay about it my freshman year of college.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 pm

My favourite part is when the dad starts hitting the door with an axe Shining-style and barely misses the kid, to everyone's disappointment.

Also, lol Bob. Right up there with the little person in Burial Ground in terms of awful child performances.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:10 am

As far as posters go, this one's pretty neat:

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:13 am

Rock wrote:

Also, lol Bob. Right up there with the little person in Burial Ground in terms of awful child performances.

I'm sticking with my theory that Bob is a wonderful actor who was sabotaged by the worst voice-over ever.
#TeamBob

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:14 am

John Dumbear wrote:

Pretty nice horror comedy that just goes there at times. 8-)

I can't imagine doing 31 movies all of the same subgenre in one month. I'd be bored out of my skull by mid-October. Maybe setting them in the same decade of release (the 1980s) might be a better idea?

One good thing about Rumpled's delay is that I'm actually diving into the genre this year. Working through Les Diaboliques next and then plan on tackling Hellraiser and the 1970s Invasion of the Bodysnatchers later this month. All first time watches. :up:

Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:28 am

Rock wrote:
Right up there with the little person in Burial Ground in terms of awful child performances.

How dare you!

As for the topic of conversation, because of House of the Cemetary, me and my brother have greeted eachother for years with the line "Yoohoo, Bob", to everyone in my families confusion. So that abominable performance has had some purpose in my life.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:58 am

Rock wrote:
As far as posters go, this one's pretty neat:

Yeah, I was trying to decide which one to use and considered that one due to awesomeness, but it's also very deceptive (as
there is no one that remotely resembles the guy with the knife in the film
).
I decided to go with the VHS cover that always tempted me as a kid.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:51 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I'm sticking with my theory that Bob is a wonderful actor who was sabotaged by the worst voice-over ever.
#TeamBob

Honestly, I did consider that during my viewing. Same with Catriona MacColl.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:53 am

Wooley wrote:
Yeah, I was trying to decide which one to use and considered that one due to awesomeness, but it's also very deceptive (as
there is no one that remotely resembles the guy with the knife in the film
).
I decided to go with the VHS cover that always tempted me as a kid.

I assume the instructions the artist got were "There's a house, and a cemetery and somebody gets stabbed. Figure it out."

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:15 am

Wooley wrote:
Honestly, I did consider that during my viewing. Same with Catriona MacColl.

Aw, I actually like her in these movies. Her real voice is much nicer than her dubbed ones, though.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:19 am

Rock wrote:
Aw, I actually like her in these movies. Her real voice is much nicer than her dubbed ones, though.

No, that's what I'm saying is that I think her more shrill moments in this film are probably the result of bad dubbing. I think she's great, she's the one recurring actor in all three films and I think she adds to all three.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:23 pm

And what the Holy Shit?
This is probably the freakiest and legitimately scariest old cartoon I've seen and I feel like I've mined this vein for 40 years.

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:24 pm

And of course, one of the best ever:

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:32 pm

I've been watching mostly films I'm already familiar with this month. Always playing the curator to educate those friends who don't watch as many movies as I do.

I watched The Stepford Wives for the first time in some time, and while the film has become a bit of a cliched metaphor, the film itself deserves some more respect for its slow-burn build up. It makes a good double feature with the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers, both great conspiratorial horror films based on the social anxieties of changing times.

There are many giallos on Prime, but especially Don't Torture a Duckling, What Have You Done to Solange?, and Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, which are all top-shelf entries.

Also on Prime, for Boris Karloff fans, two minor but enjoyable films, The Devil Commands and The Man They Could Not Hang, both quasi-horror and worth a look.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I've been watching mostly films I'm already familiar with this month. Always playing the curator to educate those friends who don't watch as many movies as I do.

I watched The Stepford Wives for the first time in some time, and while the film has become a bit of a cliched metaphor, the film itself deserves some more respect for its slow-burn build up. It makes a good double feature with the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers, both great conspiratorial horror films based on the social anxieties of changing times.

Oh, I think Stepford Wives is totally legit, I guess I came up during a time when it was really respected even by non-horror adults, so I've always taken it very seriously. And I think it would pair really well with IotBS, which is a personal fave of mine and my friends both together and separately.

There are many giallos on Prime, but especially Don't Torture a Duckling, What Have You Done to Solange?, and Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, which are all top-shelf entries.

All three of those are movies I've had some circling interest in for a long time and would like to have watched them in September to build up to this month. It was fully my intention to watch several giallos leading up to October, and yet somehow I ended up watching none. After Thriller-September and Horror-October, I was planning a really uplifting November of comedies and classics, but I do want to catch those soon. (If you knew me personally, you'd know that I intensely want to see Your Vice Is A Locked Room for the title alone.

Also on Prime, for Boris Karloff fans, two minor but enjoyable films, The Devil Commands and The Man They Could Not Hang, both quasi-horror and worth a look.

You know, I have actually never seen a Karloff movie I didn't like. Amusingly, the least of them to me, so far at least, would be The Mummy. But tMTCNH has been in my queue for an age and I keep sort of keeping it around for a night when I'm not in the mood for modern horror and I don't have a lot of time.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Well, I actually... I've been having a hard time deciding what to say about this movie.
So, I am a sucker for titles and posters, and can be convinced to at least give almost anything a spin if it has one or the other or both. In this case, ever since I saw Phantasm for the first time, many years ago, I have wanted to see a horror movie set in a mausoleum. It just seems like it writes itself. Whether or not it writes 90 minutes of screen-time is another matter, but being trapped inside one of those big mausoleums where literally hundreds of people are buried in their drawers and maybe there's a passageway to an older section where people were buried a hundred or two hundred or however many years ago, and then maybe even that place has passage to an even older, darker place where who knows what dwells...
This is not that movie.
And yet... it is not entirely NOT that movie.
So what the hell is it?
Well, honestly, it's a lot of this:

Which, some years ago, I would not have been able to tolerate. But we've talked a bit this month in this thread and others about learning over many, many years to let more things slide in the interest of enjoying a movie and what we're actually willing to give a pass in the horror genre if a movie really tried, if it came close, or even, in some cases, it totally fucking failed, but spectacularly.
Well, that skill we've all developed really helps with this movie, not because it sucks, because it will help you see how it doesn't. And how even ol' Green Eyes up there actually kinda works in the context of this film and this budget.
Let me tell you a little bit about the story first.
This is about a woman who, as a child attends the funeral of her mother whose death... we'll leave that be. While at the funeral, she hears a voice in the cemetery calling her name and follows it to the entrance to an old mausoleum under the name Nomed. Yes, no joke, the family name is Nomed and no one sees any of this coming. Nilbog, anyone? Inside she has an experience which may or may not have been real before she is whisked away by a family friend.
Fast-forward 20 years and Susan is now heir to the family fortune but with that fortune, perhaps something more comes to the heir? Perhaps whatever happened in that mausoleum was more than just the fantasy of a traumatized child. As she flashes her glowing green eyes at people, some of them don't feel so good.

And some fare perhaps even worse. (I can't remember what the hell this guy landed on, but, as a doctor, I'm not sure he's gonna be ok.)

Can Susan be freed from the curse that seems to be upon her? Can her husband, Marjoe Gortner of Starcrash fame, help to save her? Can anyone save her and anyone unlucky enough to cross her path? We shall see, if we can tolerate a really low-budget and a former Playboy model in the lead role whose eyes glow green with post-production laser-animation whenever she strikes.
Why am I not slamming this movie? Honestly, it's just not that fucking bad. When y'all talk about movies like that one CT brought up, Demon Wind, where it's just fabulously awful, and yet we watch it, a movie like this, which actually has a cogent story that legitimately holds together until the final credits roll, regardless of how low-budget it may be, how touch-and-go the dialogue and the acting may be, and in spite of laser-eyed She-Hulk, has to be considered. And so I found myself not only actually liking this movie, but kinda rooting for it, ya know? Like, "Come on, baby, hold together, we only got 25 minutes to go, you can do it!"
So, I'm kinda on this movie's side. In my opinion, within the parameters that it had, it works, and at this level of low-budget filmmaking, that's often gotta be enough.
So, while The Chicago Sun Times may have called it "one of the weakest horror films one is likely to see", and RottenTomatoes doesn't even have any Critics Reviews for the film, I side with this AllMovie business which calls it "a modest but well-wrought occult horror film".

Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:32 pm

Alright.
No doubt this movie is better than my previous experience with it would indicate. As I mentioned in another thread, when I saw it like a decade ago, Netflix was yet again using a print of a movie that probably should have just been thrown in the garbage as it was so dark it appeared the entire movie took place at night and that the last 20 minutes were almost imperceptible. I thought this was just the quality of the movie. But it made it barely watchable and made the movie seem even much cheaper than it is.
So this movie is actually kinda cool.
But fuck is it slow. And man is it fulla shit.
I mean, you can call it a slow-burn if you want, but I'd probably just stop at slow. It was a struggle to keep my attention on it throughout, even though I'm in a hotel room by myself with nothing else to do.
There really isn't much action in the film so you figure they're going to at least do shocking kills or some gore or something to ratchet things up to an engaging level, but they do not.
Every kill in the movie is the same. One of the Aquatic Death Team just pulls somebody under the water and that's it. We are told after the second guy is killed that he was drowned (after it was obvious that the first guy drowned). The next guy is drowned. The guy after that is also drowned. The person after that... yup. There's just a lot of drowning. Literally everyone in the movie is just pulled underwater, except of course for the person who is killed off-screen. Who was also drowned. Now, I'm not saying I wanna be drowned, but if your movie is really slow-paced, you have to make the moments of excitement exciting, yet this movie contains nary a drop of blood except for what appears to have been a slight abrasion on the forehead of a somebody who was... drowned, and even the drownings actually happen like really quickly, not drawn out to add drama to them or anything, you just kinda get caught and dragged underwater and then you're outta the movie. I realize this may save a lot of money on the FX budget, which was like 10 dollars on this movie, all spent on goggles, but fuck.

Now this on its own is enough to make the movie boring but not enough to make it bad. However, there are some real plot problems too, I mean big, nonsensical shit.
We're given a backstory about Peter Cushing being the commander of this SS Aquatic Death Squad and that's all fine, but then there's some implication that this particular time that the main characters have come has doomed them, but that is never explained. Then he still tells them they have to leave and if he sees them at all he'll shoot them, even though he was gonna help them like 5 minutes ago. Then he runs around the island. He gives you this, aha!, this must be the special time that Nazi Zombies rise and we're gonna learn what and/or why, but what that is or why or anything is just dropped from the movie and never picked up again. We assume that this must have something to do with the weird sunlight the movie makes a point of earlier, but that is also never explained and happens before. This confusion is compounded when Peter Cushing goes running around the island I guess looking for the zombies but what his goal is is never explained. When he sees them he tries to call out orders to them but they just ignore him. They don't come after him and they don't obey, they just like glance at him and wander off in another direction. Then, paradoxically, they just sneak up and kill him a few minutes later. No explanation of why they would kill their old commander or why he would think they wouldn't or why they didn't go after him when he was yelling orders at them or what the fuck, just as random as if he was a red-shirt. But this also suggests that this must be the first time they've ever risen in all these years, otherwise Cushing, who has been on the island since WWII, would already have been randomly killed by them. So this must be some special first-awakening-since-WWII magic time. But none of that gets explained either.
The next thing is that we are shown that if you just rip the goggles off these guys they almost instantly die. Except for the ones who aren't wearing goggles, who I guess don't? But then this is re-established later. This does not, however, lead to our heroes trying to rip the goggles off of them, but rather to some leap in logic that, and I'm not making this up, since the zombies hate light (despite almost the entire movie taking place during the day in the sunny Caribbean), since the zombies hate light, we must hide in THE DARK! I'm serious, the "hero" actually fucking says this. When that plan gets foiled due to a suddenly developed plot-device, more drowning ensues. Then one of the characters turns out to be blind in a second sudden plot-device in like 5 minutes. So she's drowned by a Nazi without goggles. No explanation there either. Now the zombies just go to sleep for a while in like a pond or something? But then they wake up.
Our heroes appear to be escaping but just then a Nazi pops outta the water and pulls the guy outta the boat, but he gets their goggles off, so they stagger off and die. Now our heroes are really escaping because they've rowed out like another 20 feet... And then another Nazi pops outta the water and pulls the guy outta the boat. This time... he's drowned.
But even though he does not rip off the goggles of THIS zombie during the melee, it doesn't attack the last survivor. It doesn't like do something and then walk away either, it's just no longer in the movie. The last survivor floats out to sea totally unmolested with no explanation.
That's that.
Now, I get it, maybe this isn't the sort of movie where you should let things like absolute fucking nonsensical script and half plot/half plotless with random devices just jumping up here and there and direct contradictions to the logic the film has already set down type stuff bother you but jesus. I mean, the movie starts out with a pretty clear narrative, all the way up to the point that it just chucks that narrative right out the fucking window. It's like, for 40 really slow minutes, let's make a good horror movie... alright fuck it, let's just make Zombie Lake.
I won't even bother with the continuity issues of how it was day, now it seems to suddenly be night so you assume some time has passed but then they show the zombies again and it's clearly daylight, like bright daylight, but then it's suddenly night again.
Sheesh.
Despite all this, the acting isn't half-bad, the directing is not bad at all, I liked the music, and honestly, even boring, logic-defying, half-baked (and I'm being kind) backstory having, only drowning people-ing, broad-daylight yet sun-averse-ing, goggled aquatic Nazi zombies... are kinda cool. So, despite my many frustrations, I didn't hate the movie and while I was getting pretty irritated by the end, I'm not actually sorry I re-watched it.
There, that's my re-watch review.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:30 pm

And one of the best horror-cartoons ever:

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:11 am

Wooley wrote:

Watch it again. Watch it a billion times until you unequivocally love it!

Yeah, it's a movie that I think does a few things well, and how much you end up liking it depends on a lot on how you're approaching it and how willing you are to overlook the things it doesn't do well.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 am

Rock wrote:
Watch it again. Watch it a billion times until you unequivocally love it!

Yeah, it's a movie that I think does a few things well, and how much you end up liking it depends on a lot on how you're approaching it and how willing you are to overlook the things it doesn't do well.

Like I said, though, I ended up kinda liking it, maybe almost but not quite as much as Killer Fish, because even though it just fell the fuck apart in the second half... eh, what the hell Nazi Aquatic Zombie Death Team.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:21 am

Ze goggles do nothing!

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 am

Wooley wrote:
eh, what the hell Nazi Aquatic Zombie Death Team.

Honestly that's about the extent of my enjoyment, so if you've reached that same level I'm content. My work here is done.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:42 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Honestly that's about the extent of my enjoyment, so if you've reached that same level I'm content. My work here is done.

Yeah, I only wish they had like, stabbed somebody or hung somebody on a hook or... done anything scarier than just pull someone underwater. That would have really made this better.

Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:42 pm

I have had to accept an ugly truth over the last 5 or 6 years: The Addams Family just wasn't as good a show as I remember.
I was a big fan of it as a kid and as a teen I became a huge fan of Chas Addams original cartoons from which the show was spawned.

The problem with the television show is that it just relies way too much on the central gag. Stranger comes to house, you trot out Lurch, they get nervous, Thing pops out they get more nervous, the kids come down and have a one-line gag, Fester puts a lightbulb in his mouth, they show the pet lion, everybody runs from the house, rinse, repeat. There are sometimes long stretches without so much as a chuckle.
I long thought John Astin was THE Gomez Addams, but of course, Raul Julia will forever own that title. Jackie Coogan actually doesn't work that great as Fester to my surprise, it's kind of an iconic character but I dunno, Coogan's portrayal just really doesn't work for me. The kids fair even worse, as neither actually has any personality at all and the entire gag with them usually comes down how they're dressed and maybe some one-line gag they've memorized. Lurch is good.
But the person who really shines is Carolyn Jones as Morticia. She seems to be the one person who totally gets it and delivers. She makes every scene she's in better and she really makes that character the center of all the proceedings. She really just seems to hold court in the middle of it all, good and bad.

It was much to my surprise that The Munsters, which as a kid I thought was the more "kiddie" of the shows is actually the better program. Each character in that show legitimately has something to do other than just show up in costume and there is fairly snappy writing for television. Yvonne DiCarlo does a fine job in that show as well, but a lot of good things around her to work with, and the star of that show is legitimately Herman. Additionally they have scripts that are more than just people being shocked by what they are.
So in my shorter pockets of time during this Horrorthon, it will be The Munsters and Scooby-Doo and I'll be leaving the Addams Family to the big-screen.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:25 am

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:49 am

We are the weirdos, mister.

Say what you want, but The Craft is a pretty damn good witch movie.
This probably the 7th or 8th time I've seen it since it came out, as I saw it in the theater, had it on VHS, my wife had it on DVD, and now I've watched it again on an airplane. So I know the beats pretty well and I get to sit back and enjoy the little things in this movie, and this movie takes care to have a lot of them.
If there's anyone out there who hasn't seen it, this is the story of three outcast high-school girls, each with deep-seeded conflict with the world around them, who bond over this sort of sham practice of witchcraft they have going on...

...until the new girl at school joins them and turns out to be an actual witch. The power that Sara, Robin Tunney as the actual witch with a dark past of her own, brings to the group leads to legitimate magic and unexpected consequences as the leader of their little clique takes the power to a dark place.
A lot of things work really well in this movie in general. It has a solid, coherent narrative that progresses naturally through a real arc. It has good performances for a 90s movie aimed at young people, particularly from Tunney and Fairuza Balk, who's wild beauty and fierce intensity make the "bad witch" a real force to be reckoned with. It has heart as the movie takes time to make you understand why each of these girls is so troubled (one is the only black girl at an all-white school, one suffered burns that badly scarred her body, one has lived in poverty in an grim home-life with hints of sexual abuse, one has a history of attempted suicide), but also takes time make you see the gravitas of their actions on their victims. In one of my favorite scenes, the "mean girl", played by Christine Taylor, whose racist taunting of Rochelle earlier in the movie leads to a spell being cast on her, is just sitting on the floor in the shower sobbing to herself and looks up at Rochelle to ask, "Why is this happening to me? What did I do to deserve this?", as Rochelle backs away horrified. It's a powerful moment for a film like this. Another is Neve Campbell sobbing face-down on the treatment table as needles are painfully jabbed into her scars over and over again in an experimental treatment to try to rid her of her deformity.

Another thing is how mean this film is willing to get. People die. A spell gone wrong turns into a fumbling date-rape. Cruel psychological games are played. I mean cruel. Things go bad as the group starts to fracture over too much power.
But another thing I like a lot about this movie is that it keeps its details consistent. Well, first it bothers to have details, then it keeps them consistent. There is an ongoing thing with snakes, but we find as the movie goes along that the "good witch" has a backstory with snakes, it's not just a trope thrown in for effect. That is carried further when the "bad witch" brings a snake to a ritual and begins to be associated with "the serpent".

Another thing I really enjoyed in these details was the references to the four witches of The Wizard Of Oz; I thought it was a nice thing to include.
One negative I would certainly point out was the distraction of the soundtrack using cover versions of famous songs. That may be nit-picky but it really stuck out when you're using music by The Smiths and Portishead but not performed by The Smiths and Portishead. I realize they wanted to use contemporary bands and give it a current vibe, but at times it gave it more of a cheaper, television-like feel at times. Not that big a deal considering the shortcomings of a lot of the stuff we watch around here.
Anyway, after I finished this I concluded that this really is one of the better witch/witchcraft movies out there. Whether the "high-school witches" thing feels a little too 90s for you or it just seems like a glorified episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer,

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:17 am

Carolyn Jones was indeed a beautiful woman.

But Yvonne DeCarlo had her moments, folks.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:46 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Carolyn Jones was indeed a beautiful woman.

But Yvonne DeCarlo had her moments, folks.

Oh, no doubt. Both interesting women, Ive read a little bit about them.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next