It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon 
Post Re: Wooley's Half-Ass Horrorthon

And since I am from the Voodoo capital of North America...

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Bo and Lemora!

This is an acceptable looking Youtube copy with some spanish subs. The version without the subs is shaky and from a poor VHS copy, so this may be good enough for the curious.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Messiah of Evil is great. Lemora is really great. And I've got copies of both I can watch anytime. Because my life is amazing.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:28 pm

crumbsroom wrote:
Messiah of Evil is great. Lemora is really great. And I've got copies of both I can watch anytime. Because my life is amazing.

Ha! It sounds like it, man. Good for you.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm

I love in Lemora how they're going to Astaroth. Like that's where the bus goes and that's her destination.
Astaroth is one of the Dukes of Hell in the old grimoires, on the level of Beelzebub and Lucifer.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Bo and Lemora!

This is an acceptable looking Youtube copy with some spanish subs. The version without the subs is shaky and from a poor VHS copy, so this may be good enough for the curious.

I am pleased that the entire film has been posted in my thread. This is good.

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Wooley wrote:
I kinda sorta loved the whole thing.

Chuck Conors is so creepy haha.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Wooley wrote:
I never go to theatrical screenings of it anymore, ever. The movie wasn't written (as a play) to have a bunch of people screaming shit at back at the actors after every single line and the plot is hard to follow and a lot of the humor is lost when you can't here the dialogue. I like it as it was filmed and I can do without all the stuff that has come to surround it. That was fun when I was a teenager, but now it's too distracting for me to tolerate. There's a lot of good stuff to be digested in this movie, little things like Richard Nixon resigning as President on the radio while they're driving in the rain or certain people circled in photographs that are only shown for a moment, and big things like the radical attitudes toward sexuality for 1975 and the complicated emotions that people are actually having in the middle of all these over-the-top goings-on.
I would say stay home, crank up the volume, and pay attention to the details while enjoying all the fun.

Bingo! This is what I've been waiting for someone to say. I've had a couple of people try to push the live experience on me, so when you tell me you've seen it a hundred times I naturally assume you're one of them. If enjoying the movie requires me getting drunk and wearing a bustier, it's not gonna happen. But when a rational person such as yourself tells me they just enjoyed the film, divorced from the shenanigans, that goes a long way.

Takoma1 wrote:
I like Rocky Horror Picture Show. I think it's delightfully bonkers and I like the music.

And here we have a vote of confidence from a fellow non-musical-lover. I'm doin' it!

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:50 pm

Also, I am a shy non-drinker, but I enjoyed both of my in-theater Rocky Horror experiences. I sat in the back and just enjoyed seeing other people be louder and more extra with it. I don't think that the theater experience requires being drunk or dressed up.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:11 am

Rocky Horror is wonderful. I really like musicals, though, so what do I know?

As for live viewings, they are fun enough, but not for a first time viewing. And, no, drinking and costumes are hardly required. I've gone twice and indulged in neither.
'

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:23 am

Right, I'm not against the idea of attending a screening. My post wasn't clear, but what I meant was that the people who'd invited me in the past would've expected me to join in the boozing and cosplay, as that was their primary interest. The screen could be black for all they cared.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:00 am

MadMan wrote:
Chuck Conors is so creepy haha.

He really surprised me.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:46 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Right, I'm not against the idea of attending a screening. My post wasn't clear, but what I meant was that the people who'd invited me in the past would've expected me to join in the boozing and cosplay, as that was their primary interest. The screen could be black for all they cared.

I think of it, the dress-up and all, as a sort of Halloween experience, ya know. I mean, if I'm goin' to the theater show, I'll at least sprinkle a little glitter on my face or something (yes, I have face-glitter in my apartment, I'm from New Orleans), maybe put on a masquerade masque or a top-hat or something (maybe all three). It can be a fun experience, I don't want to discourage that at all. It's just not a good way to see the movie for the first time nor a good way to watch it if you're really in the mood for the movie itself and not just for a glam-rockin' good time.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:08 am

Wooley wrote:
I think of it, the dress-up and all, as a sort of Halloween experience, ya know. I mean, if I'm goin' to the theater show, I'll at least sprinkle a little glitter on my face or something (yes, I have face-glitter in my apartment, I'm from New Orleans), maybe put on a masquerade masque or a top-hat or something (maybe all three). It can be a fun experience, I don't want to discourage that at all. It's just not a good way to see the movie for the first time nor a good way to watch it if you're really in the mood for the movie itself and not just for a glam-rockin' good time.

There's no doubt the quality of the film has become lost in the noise of the cult. There is nothing inherently wrong with that, but it is important to see with fresh eyes what has made it so loved over the years.

Without putting much thought into it, I'd say it is probably my favourite of all musical soundtracks. Certainly the one I've listened to the most.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:17 am

I guess I should clarify that I have never attended a Rocky Horror screening "drunk", or under an excessive influence of alcohol. I'm happy to have the opportunity to make this clarification.

The necessity of whatever intoxication is a misnomer. The fact is that it is never necessary. One can perfectly enjoy any number of things, from a Pink Floyd concert to a Burning Man festival, without the need to imbibe foreign substances. About the furthest I'd argue on the subject of Rocky Horror is that it also happens to be a fact, historical and cultural, that it was, like Pink Floyd and Burning Man, steeped in drug culture, and that, although this fact doesn't require one's sympathetic participation to appreciate, it remains a significant aspect of the subculture, and Rocky Horror would be a very different film if it were not a product of people on a lot of drugs.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:17 am

Jinnistan wrote:
I guess I should clarify that I have never attended a Rocky Horror screening "drunk", or under an excessive influence of alcohol. I'm happy to have the opportunity to make this clarification.

The necessity of whatever intoxication is a misnomer. The fact is that it is never necessary. One can perfectly enjoy any number of things, from a Pink Floyd concert to a Burning Man festival, without the need to imbibe foreign substances. About the furthest I'd argue on the subject of Rocky Horror is that it also happens to be a fact, historical and cultural, that it was, like Pink Floyd and Burning Man, steeped in drug culture, and that, although this fact doesn't require one's sympathetic participation to appreciate, it remains a significant aspect of the subculture, and Rocky Horror would be a very different film if it were not a product of people on a lot of drugs.

You're right on all counts, of course, and I specifically think its important that we recognize and utterly refute that one has to indulge in this or that or anything to appreciate the art of people who did. That's obvious nonsense. But you're also right that the edges are largely sharp because of the state of mind of the people who honed them.
That said, I think everybody here knows that I drink and smoke marijuana, I've even watched Rocky Horror on mushrooms (that was actually great), and there are certain experiences I prefer with some extracurriculars, and Rocky Horror is one. Flat-out, I like to be high when I watch it, because it just enhances the fun for me, but no, absolutely it is not needed. You could watch RHPS intoxicated and miss all the fun and watch it stone-cold and have more fun than anybody, and everything in between too, I can assure you in my 40 or 50 viewings.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 am

Krewe of Boo! (a Halloween parade) was tonight and some friends came down to hang out before we walked over. At the last minute, your Wooley decided to throw something on which certainly could have been more sinister, but at least contributed to the game going on on the streets.

You can't tell in this pic, may have wiped it all off during dinner, but we were also fully glittered up with red and gold on our faces.
Anyway, this is Krewe of Boo!:

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:47 am

I like the hats. :up:

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:57 am

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Captain Terror wrote:

Damn, that was fast, I just left it like an hour ago.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:08 pm

- In half an hour the moon will rise and I'll turn into a wolf.
- You and 20 million other guys.

This is a Halloween essential as far as I'm concerned. Gets better every time I see it too. So much win here.
Clerks Chick and Wilbur receive a strange phone call and some large packages that seem to have a lot of activity and intrigue around them. While a "House Of Horrors" owner expects their delivery, some slightly less savory folk may actually be inhabiting them. And they have some plans going on to fully resurrect the monster but perhaps with a more "pliable brain".

Really, and I am not joking when I say this, A&C Meet Frankenstein is the legitimate sequel to Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman. Literally. Larry Talbot, who has had his beef with Frankenstein's monster in the previous film, is trying to stop a plot to revitalize and immortalize the monster to be the slave and henchman of Dracula himself. Chick and Wilbur (Bud and Lou) just happen to be part of the plan. Hijinks ensue and they ensue well, partly because the comedic pair really are as good as their legend suggests, and partly because the film actually does an excellent job of balancing legitimate Universal Horror with full-on comedy, not nearly inventing the horror-comedy, but certainly cementing it as a genre (as A&C would go on to meet The Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Boris Karloff, The Mummy, and even Captain Kidd (that's actually a pretty good one). Quentin Tarantino refers to at as a movie he watched to understand how to balance different genres in the same film. If you ever saw House Of Frankenstein or House Of Dracula, this is a much-better version of those films.

What a fun, fun movie this is with not only Abbott & Costello, who are funnier than you think they are, I promise you, but with Lugosi and Lon Chaney Jr. to boot and some really great spookiness and atmosphere as well. Not to mention a last-minute cameo horror fans should love. So many great one-liners, such a perfect blend of horror and humor.
If you have any doubts about seeing this movie, dispel them quickly and with ease as this is the one you should definitely see in October.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:51 pm

Watched A&C Meet Frankenstein a bunch when I was a kid. Such a fun movie.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:30 pm

Deschain13 wrote:
Watched A&C Meet Frankenstein a bunch when I was a kid. Such a fun movie.

It really is.
People who don't know their work assume it's gonna be a lot of slapstick, but it's really not it's quick one-liners and winking dialogue and funny bits, some obvious setups (which was Bud's role), but legitimately funny and successful stuff. And then you blend it with the (admittedly fading) horror of the day by having all three of the major monsters all tied up in some plot, and you actually get Lugosi and Chaney...
I mean, that's tough to beat.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Jinnistan wrote:
Bo and Lemora!

That villianess was so skeletal :shock:

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:49 pm

"The whole burden of civilization has fallen upon us."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"It means we do not CROSS against the light."

A nostalgia-favorite from my youth, my mother took me and my friend Mike to see this in the theater when I had just turned 12 years old. Many things happened. My addiction to movies became so much worse. There was a comet. There were zombies. There was neon. There were scientists. There were guns. And there was Reg.

At 12 years old, exactly the right time, Reg was like a lightning-bolt through my system. Beautiful, sure, tough, smart, witty, but also empathetic and kind. Literally everything. I spent the next 30 years of my life chasing Reges. I married a woman I thought was a Reg (she was not). Reg is our hero. Just look at her face. That's how we meet Regina, the first shot of her, looking utterly determined. In this case, utterly determined to have all 10 High Scores on Tempest. But she will soon be determined to survive and determined to protect her sister.
Because after the comet that killed the dinosaurs comes back around and flies close over Earth again, this is all that is left:

And Reg finds herself very alone in Los Angeles.

Although maybe not as alone as she'd like.

Because every living thing that was fully exposed, including the family dog, is nothing but a pile of dust and their clothes. Or in the case of Reg's stepmother, a pile of dust, her clothes, and her fake nails laid out perfectly on the street. And Muffy?

But the people who were only partially exposed are actually in various degrees of degradation, making them, essentially, zombies, although they are not dead. And they are not mindless either, they talk, they chase, they fight, they even shoot guns, but as their degradation progresses, so does their madness, a sort of intentionally vague blood-lust. As one declining gent tells Reg and Sam, "You wouldn't believe what we want from you. In your worst nightmare, you wouldn't believe."
But there are a few positives for Reg. One, her sister, Sam is alive, having run away from home and spent the night in a storage shed. Two, they are the daughters of a career Special Forces soldier who taught them to fight, to shoot, to stand up for themselves, essentially to kick ass... before he left them:

"My real mom hung around until my dad came back from Vietnam, then she split. So it's been mostly me and Sam and Dad and the 3rd special forces. Smoke Bomb Hill. Fort Bragg. But then around about sixth or seventh grade, it became real obvious that we weren't boys, that we were never going to go to Ranger school. So I guess Dad figured there was nothing more to offer us. So he found us a new mom and went off looking for a war."

So now Reg and Sam are all each other have and they set out to survive the aftermath of the apocalypse. And they are prepared.

One of the many things that makes this movie special is the bonding between the two sisters. Whether it be over machine guns, free shopping-spree at the mall, fighting over boys, or really opening up to each other, they care about each other and you feel that their bond is what is going to carry them through. That and their indomitable spirit.

As you can tell, I really enjoyed this movie. What surprised me is that the last time I saw it, about a decade ago, I still liked it but I thought it had not aged well and the budget was a little rough on it and maybe the story didn't totally flow or go big enough in the end. But as we've talked about, 10 years ago, I held lower-budget movies to the same standard I hold major Hollywood films, and that is a mistake. I no longer make that mistake and the pleasures of Night Of The Comet just washed over me. A plucky, determined heroine, her perhaps even pluckier side-kick sister, zombies and machine-guns, and some great supporting characters. Willy is exactly what the second act needs to give it some oomph and Mary Woronov probably gives the best straight-acting performance of her cult career here in a really poignant moment. Geoffrey Lewis does a nice job as the villain with real motivation. There is plenty of humor and witty dialogue and moments that make the film worthwhile. I won't tell you what's happening here, but it's just a clever little touch.

Anyway, a solid script, mostly good dialogue, well-filmed, at least adequately acted (better than adequate in some cases, just barely in others), zombies, scientists, guns, bonding... and Reg. I've never found her, and at my age I probably never will, but I like to think she's out there somewhere, surviving, but with a wry smile on her face.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:54 am

Yeah, Night of the Comet is excellent. Funny and brutal in just the right degrees.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:54 am

Takoma1 wrote:
Yeah, Night of the Comet is excellent. Funny and brutal in just the right degrees.

Exactly.

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:46 am

I love Night of the Comet. Thanks to that film Buffy the Vampire Slayer exists.

The MadMan Reserved 31 Seats
"I think its time we discuss your, uh....philosophy of drug use as it relates to artistic endeavor." -Naked Lunch (1991)

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:31 pm

MadMan wrote:
I love Night of the Comet. Thanks to that film Buffy the Vampire Slayer exists.

?

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:28 am

Saturday The 14th is for the birds.
It was excruciating to sit through.
It is cheap and awful.
I saw this movie in the theater when it was released. I think I was amused because I was a 9 year-old kid, and I would say that is about as old as one can be and find anything redeemable in this... "film". However, since the camera just skeezily pours all over a teenage girl getting ready to take a bath and the director does everything he can to show as much skin as possible of the 19 year-old actress playing a 16 year-old girl and still maintain his PG-rating, I can't really recommend it for the 9 and under crowd either. It's a shame that arguably the only funny joke in the movie, the one with the fish-man actually being in the bathtub while Jaws music plays, is made so awkward and uncomfortable by this. I'm sure our recent discussion of this topic did not help my attitude about this, but it was actually skeezy enough to really piss me off. It's at the level of an after-school special but you're gonna have this voyeuristic scene of a teenage girl? Fuck off.
Add to that the really, really low production values, even for this genre, and the just... off tone, not to mention the total lack of anything actually funny happening at all and this "horror-spoof" just comes off as the dregs.
Here's the fish-man.

And that's actually the best costume in the movie. I get that they were parodying cheap horror movies, but I think they really rode that excuse too hard in this movie. It's just lousy. Fuck this movie.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:42 am

I almost watched Night of the Comet last night, but the trailer I watched had very little zombie footage so I called a last-second audible and went with Mutilator instead, which I now regret of course. Still want to see Comet but how much zombie action is there? Should I save it for post-October?

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:53 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I almost watched Night of the Comet last night, but the trailer I watched had very little zombie footage so I called a last-second audible and went with Mutilator instead, which I now regret of course. Still want to see Comet but how much zombie action is there? Should I save it for post-October?

It's not like the movie is overrun with zombies, it's actually more interesting than that.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:03 am

crumbsroom wrote:
Rocky Horror is wonderful. I really like musicals, though, so what do I know?

As for live viewings, they are fun enough, but not for a first time viewing. And, no, drinking and costumes are hardly required. I've gone twice and indulged in neither.
'

Will agree with pretty much all of this. I think the first viewing should be at home watching the characters and plot do their thing. The film has a nice mix of 1970s exploration of taboos clashing against a more staid society.

Alcohol and costumes aren't required by any means for viewing. If you can spring for it, after you see and like it, get a copy on DVD which will explain the basics of the callbacks and props.

If you can, try to see this on a Shadowcast where people act the happenings of the film while it's going on. And just go with the flow. Most places will let you improv to a certain extent (I like shouting out a line from Freddy's Dead when they show the map which gets some laughs and applause). If they don't, then leave. Fun is the object. But try to be reasonable with others as they have fun as well.

With time, you'll go from loving Time Warp to Don't Dream It, Be It.

PS: To dress up as Brad, I think all you need is a nice dress shirt and some glasses. 8-)

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:31 am

Captain Terror wrote:

I think Night of the Comet can be appreciated at any time. These aren't the same zombies of the Night of the Living Dead and its various spinoffs/ripoffs/sequels.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:32 am

Night of the Comet is real fun. I think of it more as an apocalypse movie than a zombie movie.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:27 am

Night of the Comet is appropriate for any month or season. It is the spaghetti-strap camisole of horror films.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:21 am

Apex Predator wrote:

With time, you'll go from loving Time Warp to Don't Dream It, Be It.

This guy gets it.

Edit: My buddy who was over here watching it the other night declared, in-moive, that his favorite part was The Floor Show. And I said, really? In an empty house? In the middle of the night?
But really, I can't even decide what part I like best. I you named any scene in the movie I think I might could make a case for it being my favorite scene.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:24 pm

Captain Terror wrote:
I almost watched Night of the Comet last night

I just watched this, and while there's one scene with Cyndi Lauper that might make you in particular gag, I'd say go for it if you still have time. I'll post more thoughts later in the main thread but definitely one of my best viewings this month and one that's more than the sum of its '80s elements.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:27 pm

Takoma1 wrote:
Night of the Comet is appropriate for any month or season. It is the spaghetti-strap camisole of horror films.

Heh. Nice.
But it is a movie I prefer to watch in October, there are enough moments. And it's awesome. Pay attention to the dialogue.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Rock wrote:
I just watched this, and while there's one scene with Cyndi Lauper that might make you in particular gag, I'd say go for it if you still have time. I'll post more thoughts later in the main thread but definitely one of my best viewings this month and one that's more than the sum of its '80s elements.

You guys are making me so happy.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

lol @ the tagline: "The last time it came, the dinosaurs disappeared."

Zombie dinosaurs....color me in!

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:45 pm

John Dumbear wrote:

Heh. Actually I was thinking about whether there were zombie dinosaurs, maybe some were in a cave or something.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:15 pm

John Dumbear wrote:

Now that's a movie I'd like to see.

Turning into butterflies above our nation

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Takoma1 wrote:

I only wear those in the spring, so this metaphor does not apply to me.
Just to clarify, I wasn't expecting a zombie movie (nor do I want one, really) I just never thought of this as a horror film before. And I'm pretty sure my brain has combined this film with Adventures in Babysitting somehow. So I was just trying to confirm that it is indeed a horror movie.
(And against all odds, Cyndi Lauper was someone I never had a problem with back in the day, so that won't be an issue.)

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:06 am

Captain Terror wrote:
And I'm pretty sure my brain has combined this film with Adventures in Babysitting somehow.

I blame the hair.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:55 am

Captain Terror wrote:
I only wear those in the spring, so this metaphor does not apply to me.
Just to clarify, I wasn't expecting a zombie movie (nor do I want one, really) I just never thought of this as a horror film before. And I'm pretty sure my brain has combined this film with Adventures in Babysitting somehow. So I was just trying to confirm that it is indeed a horror movie.
(And against all odds, Cyndi Lauper was someone I never had a problem with back in the day, so that won't be an issue.)

I definitely think of it as a horror movie, of a certain kind. I mean, it's a little bit zombie-movie, a little bit horror-comedy, a little bit post-apocalyptic film... I dunno it's just fun but it also does have a little bit of an edge. I mean, this is a year before Spielberg ruined cinema forever with The Goonies.
And Cyndi Lauper is awesome, I've seen her live, she is fucking legit. I was actually listening to "She-Bop" today, arguably the best song about masturbation ever recorded.
"They say I better get a chaperone, 'cause I can't stop messin' with the danger zone."

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:11 am

Captain Terror wrote:
Just to clarify, I wasn't expecting a zombie movie (nor do I want one, really) I just never thought of this as a horror film before.

It's a mix of action, comedy, and horror, in my opinion. It's got both literal monsters and "man is the greatest monster of all!" monsters. It's not slasher/creature-feature/ghosts type horror, but I think that horror is the primary genre where I'd file it.

But like people are saying up above, it's just a good, fun little flick. And I think it would make a good antidote to your 80s slasher burnout.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:24 am

My video store filed it under "comedy". :D

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:25 am

Rock wrote:
My video store filed it under "comedy". :D

Well then. You know what you have to do.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next