It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #: Ex Drummer (Sat 12/08) 
Post Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #: Ex Drummer (Sat 12/08)

Corrie Class Trip is a project where we rotate the selection of a title for group watches on an appointed day/date to then discuss [previous iterations linked below]. We welcome all to participate and share their thoughts and feelings! The inaugural viewing for Round 4 is scheduled for Saturday December 8th. Please post about the film itself and your experience with it in this thread, and any off-topic posts about the series itself in the Class Trip Discussion Thread.

Thanks and enjoy!!!

xoxo,
your classmates

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Saturday, December 8th 2018

Ex Drummer (Koen Mortier, 2007)

imdb wrote:
Three handicapped losers who form a band ask famous writer Dries to be their drummer. He joins the band and starts manipulating them.

letterboxd user wrote:
I imagine if Gaspar Noe directed Trainspotting it might have looked something like this.

If you can't find this movie on your own, you can watch it on youtube:

Or you can dm me your email adress and I send you a file of this in slightly better quality.

Past Trips, Junior Year:

#1 - La maternelle (1933, Jean Benoît-Lévy & Marie Epstein, France) | wigwam
#2 - Time and Winds (2006, Reha Erdem, Turkey) | Oxnard Montalvo
#3 - Clean, Shaven (1993, Lodge Kerrigan, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#4 - Diabeł (1972, Andrzej Żuławski, Poland) | Oxnard Montalvo
#5 - Black Friday (2004, Anurag Kashyap, India) | Rock
#6 - Schizopolis (1996, Steven Soderbergh, USA) | Slentert
#7 - Hearts and Minds (1974, Peter Davis, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#8 - Xtro (1982, Harry Bromley Davenport, UK) | crumbsroom
#9 - The House (1997, Šarūnas Bartas, France) | Oxnard Montalvo
#10 - Spider-Baby (1967, Jack Hill, USA) | Slentert
#11 - Oh Lucy! (2017, Atsuko Hirayanagi, Japan/USA) | Shieldmaiden
#12 - The Heartbreak Kid (1972, Elaine May, USA) | Jinnistan

Past Trips, Sophomore Year:

#1 - The Worthless (1982, Mika Kaurismäki, Finland) | snapper
#2 - Shopping for Fangs (1997, Quentin Lee and Justin Lin, USA) | takeshi
#3 - The Heart of the Wise Lives in the House of Sorrow (2009, Marin Malešević, Serbia) | Shieldmaiden
#4 - The Forbidden Quest (1993, Peter Delpeut, Netherlands) | kopello
#5 - São Bernardo (1972, Leon Hirszman, Brazil) | Bandy Greensacks
#6 - Evdokia (1971, Alexis Damianos, Greece) | Epistemophobia
#7 - The Ball at the Anjō House (1947, Kōzaburō Yoshimura, Japan) | snapper
#8 - Sérail (1976, Eduardo de Gregorio, France) | takeshi
#9 - Passport for a Corpse (1962, Mario Gariazzo, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#10 - Aksuat (1997, Serik Aprimov, Kazakhstan) | Shieldmaiden
#11 - Dangerously Excited (2011, Koo, South Korea) | wigwam
#12 - Himala (1982, Ishmael Bernal, Philippines) | snapper

Past Trips, Freshman Year:

#1 - Distant Journey (1949, Alfréd Radok, Czechoslovakia) | snapper
#2 - Nanami: The Inferno of First Love (1968, Susumu Hani, Japan) | Das
#3 - The Policewoman (2003, Joaquim Sapinho, Portugal) | charulata
#4 - Freeze, Die, Come to Life! (1989, Vitali Kanevsky, USSR) | Bandy Greensacks
#5 - The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974, Francesco Barilli, Italy) | Trip
#6 - Weddings and Babies (1958, Morris Engel, USA) | snapper
#7 - The Man with Three Coffins (1987, Lee Jang-ho, South Korea) | Notes from Underground
#8 - Malina (1991, Werner Schroeter, Germany) | Shieldmaiden
#9 - Bad Luck (1960, Andrzej Munk, Poland) | B-Side
#10 - The Girl with the Suitcase (1961, Valerio Zurlini, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#11 - The Engagement of Anna (1972, Pantelis Voulgaris, Greece) | BandyGreensacks
#12 - Our Neighbor, Miss Yae (1934. Yasujirō Shimazu, Japan) | snapper[/quote][/quote]

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #: Ex Drummer (Sat 12/08)

I'll be there.

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:43 am

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
I'll be there.
Same!

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs ▪ No Country for Old Men ▪ Sorry to Bother You ▪ The Hudsucker Proxy ▪ The Boy Friend ▪ The Fearless Vampire Killers ▪ Mahler ▪ Zama ▪ Delores Claiborne ▪ The Ladykillers ▪ The Rider

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:35 am

Does this mean that I can't watch it before the 8th? :-/

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:49 am

Jinnistan wrote:
Does this mean that I can't watch it before the 8th? :-/

You can, but it'll cost you a plane ticket.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 am

Rock wrote:
You can, but it'll cost you a plane ticket.

Oh, yeah. Thanks for the Godard. Once upon a time, it was the most difficult film of his to track down.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:06 am

Alright, picked up a copy at the Adult Video Palace...I mean, legitimate, non-sleazy video store. I'll be ready to rock and/or roll by the weekend.

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm afraid I kinda hated this movie, y'all. :( This is what I wrote about it on letterboxd:

Bunny Lebowski: Uli doesn't care about anything. He's a Nihilist.
The Dude: Ah, that must be exhausting.

A trashy, scandalous and borderline surreal movie that makes Trainspotting look PG. But during Ex Drummer I was often thinking of the above quote from The Big Lebowski. This movie is nihilistic as fuck, but it doesn't add up to anything. Watching this is like a revolting child that is screaming and pissing in your face, there is no purpose or any deeper meaning behind it. It just revels in its own filth and after a while that gets really exhausting.

I should've expected my reaction to this movie since I always had similar feelings about Herman Brusselmans' (who wrote the book this movie is based on) writings and public persona. I wish someone could explain to him that just because something is offensive doesn't mean it's thought-provoking. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:31 pm
Profile WWW

I'm still going to watch this shit.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:42 pm

A lot of people love this movie, so I'd say give it a fair shot.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:49 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, I didn't like this one at all either. It's a constant barrage of cheap shots at women and those with disabilities that aren't funny or sophisticated enough to graduate to actual jokes, but that doesn't stop the movie from smugly patting its own back after each one. (Exhibit A: A deaf guy yells loudly when he's singing, because he's deaf, you see.) Like Slentert said, I'm not inherently opposed to nihilism or mean-spirited humour, but the movie never builds it into an actual attitude aside from one of self-satisfied ironic detachment, and has a hideous visual style to boot.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:01 am

I think you guys are mischaracterizing the film. This film isn't nihilistic, it's Belgian. This is an aspirational family comedy for Belgium.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:09 am

Slentert wrote:
A lot of people love this movie, so I'd say give it a fair shot.
In another Belgian film, the art world goes crazy for a graffiti artist with works like this one:

I had to give up on this one. Sorry. :(

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs ▪ No Country for Old Men ▪ Sorry to Bother You ▪ The Hudsucker Proxy ▪ The Boy Friend ▪ The Fearless Vampire Killers ▪ Mahler ▪ Zama ▪ Delores Claiborne ▪ The Ladykillers ▪ The Rider

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:34 am

I didn't care for this one at all. Nihilism isn't inherently bad or anything as long as a film has more to offer the viewer, but this film offers nothing but that. It doesn't even go anywhere interesting with its plot. It's just a series or hateful jabs towards women, homosexuals, and disabilities. There's nothing compelling about any of that. The jabs aren't even that clever to make for good jokes. Since it doesn't take long for its premise to grow thin, I just sort of tune out since there's nothing interesting to keep me engaged.

2/10

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:13 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:

I had to give up on this one. Sorry. :(

To be honest, if I wasn't the one who chose this movie I'd given up on it too.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:52 am
Profile WWW

LEAVES wrote:
I think you guys are mischaracterizing the film. This film isn't nihilistic, it's Belgian. This is an aspirational family comedy for Belgium.

This movie is, besides a strong cult following, not very popular in Belgium, actually.
But you do have a point that we Belgians like to revel in this kind of nihilism and hopelessness. Empire Magazine once wrote about the Dardenne brothers that (I'm paraphrasing here) "they live in the world's largest shithole and want to share it with the rest of us". That's true of Belgian film culture as a whole actually.

Also if you want to know what an actual Belgian family comedy looks like, watch this trailer :D

Sorry I chose such a terrible movie, y'all. :(

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:01 am
Profile WWW

Slentert wrote:
Also if you want to know what an actual Belgian family comedy looks like, watch this trailer
Oh, wow. Haha!

Don't feel bad. People have hated some of mine, too. :)

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:30 am

Slentert wrote:
Sorry I chose such a terrible movie, y'all. :(

Don't worry about it. How could you have known whether we'd like it or not?

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:34 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Oh, wow. Haha!

Some context, this is a major franchise that has spawned 21 seasons of a sitcom, 3 movies (and a fourth one coming) and over 150 comic books. These movies outperform Star Wars and James Bond on the Belgian box office.

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:43 am
Profile WWW

Popcorn Reviews wrote:
Don't worry about it. How could you have known whether we'd like it or not?
Yeah, it's the risk we all take when we recommend something we haven't seen. It's the nature of the game!

Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:43 am

Slentert wrote:
Some context, this is a major franchise that has spawned 21 seasons of a sitcom, 3 movies (and a fourth one coming) and over 150 comic books. These movies outperform Star Wars and James Bond on the Belgian box office.

Rubens, Magritte, F.C. De Kampioenen, ...Yay Belgium! :D
(I'm not backing down from Ex Drummer, by the way. We'll see if I regret this later. Bring it on!)

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:08 am

Ex Drummer- aka Edgelord: The Movie

So having prepared myself for an onslaught of various offenses against humanity, I found this to be not as transgressive as it wants to be. It's like your average internet Edgelord: thinks he's badass but is in fact too toothless to be of harm to anyone that's on to his charade. To say that I hated it or was offended would be giving it too much credit, so I'll just say that I thought it was too silly to merit my scorn.
Also, this was one case where a cruddy low-res youtube print was not a detriment. It only made it more "punk".

Question for Mr Slentert-- I guess you would've been pretty young when this was released but how is the film regarded in Belgium? You mentioned a cult following in your review. I hadn't heard of it nor Brusselmans before now. I take it he's known as a provocateur?

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:41 am

Zama is looking like a very attractive alternative right now.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:12 am

I guess Abel would count as a good Belgian family comedy?

edit: oh, it's Dutch :shifty:

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:14 am

Jinnistan wrote:

Dutch?!?!

Sorry.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:24 am

White people are so racist, they even hate Belgians.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:33 am

Jinnistan wrote:

Abel is really fun. But I really love The Northerners by that same director. But I know a lot of Americans find that movie "too Dutch" to enjoy...

Also, if you rather watch another movie there is nothing wrong with that. Time is valuable and I completely understand if you don't want to spend yours with a movie nobody seems to like.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:35 pm
Profile WWW

Captain Terror wrote:
Question for Mr Slentert-- I guess you would've been pretty young when this was released but how is the film regarded in Belgium? You mentioned a cult following in your review. I hadn't heard of it nor Brusselmans before now. I take it he's known as a provocateur?

It was dismissed at its original release but through the years, certain cinephiles from Flanders and the Netherlands have embraced the movie and its punkness. But it's not streaming anywhere and there is only one DVD release from the mid-2000's. If you go at Letterboxd, a lot of people gave this movie 4 stars or higher, and many others rated it one stars...

Brusselmans used to be known as a provocateur. Nowadays he is just a dirty old man who appears in panel shows. He is one of the most popular writers in Belgium with over 60 books written, almost all bestsellers and they're all very similar in story and style. Ex-Drummer was the third book in the "Suddenly nothing happened"-trilogy. To give you some idea of his writings, one of his most well-known stories could be translated as "The Beautiful Vomiting Girl". That even became a play.

Koen Mortier, the director of Ex-Drummer, only made two other movies. Both were pretty badly received.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:49 pm
Profile WWW

Jinnistan wrote:
White people are so racist, they even hate Belgians.

Even Belgians hate Belgians.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]