It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Short Films 
Post Short Films

The short form offers avenues for up and comers, avenues for experimentation, and economic story-telling. From the flash-fiction of a TV ad to the shorty story style of a twenty-minute segment, these are worthy literary artifacts that range from the rough to the polished, the Burlesque gag to a profound moment held in suspension.

Here is a fun one.

The short film is also a formal aspect of long-form films. Sometimes they're epigraphs or prologues or subtext or Mise en abyme

The opening bit from A Serious Man is a great example.

Where does the "Indianapolis speech" from JAWS fit in? It is both part of the story and apart from it. It is not a break from the film like some sepia-toned flashback or cartoon dream-sequence. It is very much in the world of the story and yet is also a self-contained story. If all you saw of JAWS was this scene, you would still find it complete and rewarding. Where does the opening monologue from Fellowship of the Ring fit in? If any chunk of exposition should or could have collapsed under its own weight, the opening for Fellowship of the Ring certainly certainly risked it. But it worked and it quite effectively inserts us into Middle Earth.

And let's not forget about the gimmicky but fun TV ads that put Anthony Stewart Head on the map (the man who would become Giles on Buffy).

This is a gag that would be serialized.

A simple gimmick, but it made moms lean in to watch coffee ads. And the gag still works today

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:41 am
Post Re: Short Films

Did you ever watch this freaky thing, Melvin?:

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Stu wrote:
Did you ever watch this freaky thing, Melvin?:

Cold and sterile, but also violent and menacing. I like it.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Sci-fi, horror, and comedy, seem to be the Holy Trinity of short form film.

Here is an old favorite that falls into light horror.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:21 pm

I know I've mentioned Crypt TV before, but fuck it, I'm doing it again.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 am

I think I shared this one before, but it's a pretty simple-yet-effective short...

Also, we've surely beaten this enough on my thread, but for anyone that hasn't ventured there...

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:27 am

The Curve was great. Nice and simple.

Here's one that could've been in Heavy Metal

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:40 pm

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Not a short film, but fiction using established character in a sort of bizarre apologia and/or death rattle...

Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:14 am

Melvin Butterworth wrote:
Not a short film, but fiction using established character in a sort of bizarre apologia and/or death rattle...

Who would have thought the guy that made a living playing characters living villainous double lives with not only have a villainous double life but decide to live his life as a villain he played with a double life to justify the double life he's...

2018. Whimper and bang at the same time.

Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:44 am

A couple of weeks ago, I saw this foreign Christmas film called Rare Exports, so I tracked down the two short films that inspired it. They are better than the film.

Rare Exports, Inc. (2003)

Rare Exports: The Official Safety Instructions (2005)

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:33 am

Thief wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, I saw this foreign Christmas film called Rare Exports, so I tracked down the two short films that inspired it. They are better than the film.

Rare Exports, Inc. (2003)

Rare Exports: The Official Safety Instructions (2005)

Those are great, but I entirely understand why it would be difficult to sustain the premise for an entire film. I think of those SNL skits that kill the humor by dragging things out too long or the Addams Family, which works well as a newspaper cartoon, but is rather agonizing as a feature film.

On the other hand, Troll Hunter is in the space of this short and they pull it off. The difference here, I think, is that Rare Imports Inc. is framed as faux promotional videos, which are short by nature. It's already straining in terms of genre in order to create the atmosphere (our narrator sounds more like a Morgan Freeman omniscient story teller than a marketer selling a product, the music feels like a fairy tale, the messaging frays at itself a bit -- "We're making this video, because you didn't listen," fast forward to the end "We trust you." It's wonderful because it is so damned weird, but can the novelty and fun be sustained for a feature length film? Would this work if we had our narrator/marketer yakking at us for 90 minutes? Take the narrator out, however, and now this is a different animal.

Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]