It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #4: Night Must Fall (Sat 03/09) 
Post Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #4: Night Must Fall (Sat 03/09)

Corrie Class Trip is a project where we rotate the selection of a title for group watches on an appointed day/date to then discuss [previous iterations linked below]. We welcome all to participate and share their thoughts and feelings! The fourth viewing for Round 4 is scheduled for Saturday, March 9th. Please post about the film itself and your experience with it in this thread, and any off-topic posts about the series itself in the Class Trip Discussion Thread.

Thanks and enjoy!!!

xoxo,
your classmates

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Saturday, March 9th 2019

Night Must Fall (Karel Reisz, 1964)

IMBD wrote:
A psychotic killer gets in the good graces of his aging invalid employer, and worms his way into the affection of her beautiful daughter, with unpleasant results for all.

Wikipedia wrote:
Karel Reisz (21 July 1926 – 25 November 2002) was a British filmmaker who was active in post–World War II Britain, and one of the pioneers of the new realist strain in British cinema during the 1950s and 1960s.

Streaming for free HERE.
Can also be RENTED for $2.99 if you prefer.

Past Trips, Senior Year:

#1 - Ex Drummer (2007, Koen Mortier, Belgium) | Slentert
#2 - The Territory (1981, Raul Ruiz, Portugal) | Rock
#3 - Wake In Fright (1971, Ted Kotcheff, Australia) | Popcorn Reviews

Past Trips, Junior Year:

#1 - La maternelle (1933, Jean Benoît-Lévy & Marie Epstein, France) | wigwam
#2 - Time and Winds (2006, Reha Erdem, Turkey) | Oxnard Montalvo
#3 - Clean, Shaven (1993, Lodge Kerrigan, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#4 - Diabeł (1972, Andrzej Żuławski, Poland) | Oxnard Montalvo
#5 - Black Friday (2004, Anurag Kashyap, India) | Rock
#6 - Schizopolis (1996, Steven Soderbergh, USA) | Slentert
#7 - Hearts and Minds (1974, Peter Davis, USA) | Popcorn Reviews
#8 - Xtro (1982, Harry Bromley Davenport, UK) | crumbsroom
#9 - The House (1997, Šarūnas Bartas, France) | Oxnard Montalvo
#10 - Spider-Baby (1967, Jack Hill, USA) | Slentert
#11 - Oh Lucy! (2017, Atsuko Hirayanagi, Japan/USA) | Shieldmaiden
#12 - The Heartbreak Kid (1972, Elaine May, USA) | Jinnistan

Past Trips, Sophomore Year:

#1 - The Worthless (1982, Mika Kaurismäki, Finland) | snapper
#2 - Shopping for Fangs (1997, Quentin Lee and Justin Lin, USA) | takeshi
#3 - The Heart of the Wise Lives in the House of Sorrow (2009, Marin Malešević, Serbia) | Shieldmaiden
#4 - The Forbidden Quest (1993, Peter Delpeut, Netherlands) | kopello
#5 - São Bernardo (1972, Leon Hirszman, Brazil) | Bandy Greensacks
#6 - Evdokia (1971, Alexis Damianos, Greece) | Epistemophobia
#7 - The Ball at the Anjō House (1947, Kōzaburō Yoshimura, Japan) | snapper
#8 - Sérail (1976, Eduardo de Gregorio, France) | takeshi
#9 - Passport for a Corpse (1962, Mario Gariazzo, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#10 - Aksuat (1997, Serik Aprimov, Kazakhstan) | Shieldmaiden
#11 - Dangerously Excited (2011, Koo, South Korea) | wigwam
#12 - Himala (1982, Ishmael Bernal, Philippines) | snapper

Past Trips, Freshman Year:

#1 - Distant Journey (1949, Alfréd Radok, Czechoslovakia) | snapper
#2 - Nanami: The Inferno of First Love (1968, Susumu Hani, Japan) | Das
#3 - The Policewoman (2003, Joaquim Sapinho, Portugal) | charulata
#4 - Freeze, Die, Come to Life! (1989, Vitali Kanevsky, USSR) | Bandy Greensacks
#5 - The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974, Francesco Barilli, Italy) | Trip
#6 - Weddings and Babies (1958, Morris Engel, USA) | snapper
#7 - The Man with Three Coffins (1987, Lee Jang-ho, South Korea) | Notes from Underground
#8 - Malina (1991, Werner Schroeter, Germany) | Shieldmaiden
#9 - Bad Luck (1960, Andrzej Munk, Poland) | B-Side
#10 - The Girl with the Suitcase (1961, Valerio Zurlini, Italy) | JediMoonShyne
#11 - The Engagement of Anna (1972, Pantelis Voulgaris, Greece) | BandyGreensacks
#12 - Our Neighbor, Miss Yae (1934. Yasujirō Shimazu, Japan) | snapper

Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:55 pm
Post Re: Corrie Class Trip 4.0 #4: Night Must Fall (Sat 03/09)

Looks interesting. I'll be there.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:47 am

I'm still behind so I'll obviously be sitting this out. but! I didn't know if any of you guys had ever seen this video passed around on social media and knew that Karel Reisz was one of the children that Sir Nicholas Winton had saved.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:07 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:
I'm still behind so I'll obviously be sitting this out. but! I didn't know if any of you guys had ever seen this video passed around on social media and knew that Karel Reisz was one of the children that Sir Nicholas Winton had saved.

I was not familiar with that story, and now I'm crying on a Monday morning. Thanks a lot.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 am

I'll probably be a couple days late watching this one, but I'll stop in when I do.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:42 am

Don't have time for a full post right now, just wanted to check in and say I watched this today and was pleased to find that it was about as good as I remembered. Hope some of you decide to check it out. While I wouldn't call it a lost classic, I'm a little baffled that this is so under-seen. I'll elaborate later.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:56 am

As I mentioned in the other thread, this was something I'd taped from TV back in the 90s and thought enough of it to watch it multiple times. Hadn't seen it in over 20 years, but Finney's recent death reminded me of it. My most prominent memory was that Finney got pretty intense at times ("chase me!!"), and I wondered if that stuff would seem more hammy to me now than it did then.

So I'm pleased to find that the over-the-top bits are fewer and further between than I feared. Mostly he's just the charming bastard that we all knew and loved, with occasional fits of crazy sprinkled in. Finney is listed as a producer so I speculate that he saw this as some sort of showcase, where he'd "out-Norman" Anthony Perkins. (If the poster's tagline didn't make it clear, this belongs solidly in the post-Psycho/Peeping Tom camp.) Don't get me wrong, parts of this aren't subtle and I'd be fine with anyone deciding that it was too much, but I was ok with it.

Besides Finney's performance I think the film mostly works overall. Even though I'd seen it multiple times there were a few nice moments of tension or suspense. Freddie Francis shoots the hell out of it, so it looks great of course. Mona Washbourne is adorable and heart-breaking as the lonely old lady.

One thing that I didn't pick up on back in the day was the subtext relating to class, like the way Finney's expression changes whenever he's treated like an employee (which he is).

So yeah- I dig it. Again, there's enough star power and a lurid enough premise that this would probably find an audience if anyone could access it. As of today it's only been logged by 115 viewers on Letterboxd, as opposed to Peeping Tom's 17,525. Weird.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:26 am

Also, I chose the classiest poster I could find for the OP, but those of you who enjoy such things might get a kick out of these which are much more lurid.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:28 am

I promise I'll watch this soon. Been a bit busier than I expected.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Sorry I missed this over the weekend.

The link doesn't work for me, but I look forward to seeking it out as I'm a fan of Finney and Reisz and British New Wave.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Jinnistan wrote:

The link doesn't work for me

Bummer. It's not an ideal viewing experience- it's in 360p and there's a TNT logo onscreen for most of it, so it's probably cropped too, but I watched it on a 50-inch screen and it looked fine for the most part.
It appears to have been released on dvd as part of the Warner Archive Series. Seems to be oop now, but there's affordable copies on Ebay if you're interested enough to risk a blind buy.

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Aw! :(

(Why don't we have a crying smilie?)

I'm watching this tonight!

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:40 am

I'm sorry for not posting in here. I'll watch it this weekend for sure.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:49 am

This was terrific! Well written and acted and shot. Albert Finney is sooo convincing as a charmer – he knows exactly how to handle all three of the women (though not all at once, as it turns out).
Captain Terror wrote:
Finney is listed as a producer so I speculate that he saw this as some sort of showcase, where he'd "out-Norman" Anthony Perkins.
I think that's all in the play, so it's not a case of showboating. My only question was that Danny seemed so gleeful and aware during the first murder, so the psychic break was a little confusing. Obviously that particular game was dangerous for him, but I thought he would have been more consistent. Anyway, those were my thoughts afterward, but in the moment it was all Finney, and he was great.
Quote:
Freddie Francis shoots the hell out of it, so it looks great of course.
Loved it when we rode the wheelchair when she got scared. So effective!
Quote:
One thing that I didn't pick up on back in the day was the subtext relating to class, like the way Finney's expression changes whenever he's treated like an employee (which he is).
Yep, this was really well done. That, and his nimble attempts to appear knowledgeable and familiar. He reminded me of people I've known (who are not serial killers, by the way, haha).

Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:05 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Loved it when we rode the wheelchair when she got scared. So effective!

I also like the way Francis keeps the hat box in frame whenever we're in Danny's room. Adds a bit of suspense to every scene, no matter how mundane.

And I'm not very familiar with Mona Washbourne (the only other film I've seen is Brides of Dracula and for the life of me I don't know who she plays in that one), but she's great in this. The "maybe you can call me mother" bit is the sweetest and saddest thing ever. Well done.

Glad you liked it. :up:

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]