It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Parents Just Don't Understand 
Post Re: Parents Just Don't Understand

getrhythm wrote:
My parents haven't complained about Allen's 'perversions', but they're always saying he's horribly unfunny & his movies suck. Oh, them.

My parents like Woody Allen when he's not in the movie. The Purple Rose of Cairo. Antz qualifies as well, though he provides voice work. You know, back in the day, I believed Woody Allen was actually Woody Harrelson. I was very impressed with Woody Harrelson's comedic voice talents until I learned about Woody Allen. I haven't thought much of Woody Harrelson since.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:30 am

strykes wrote:
And my grandmother thought Snow Dogs was a great movie because it was 'cute' and had 'no heads exploding'.

LOL

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:31 am

kiddo in space wrote:

LOL

I have a thousand examples of stuff like this.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:33 am

strykes wrote:

I have a thousand examples of stuff like this.

So, I guess she didn't like Scanners.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:34 am

kiddo in space wrote:

So, I guess she didn't like Scanners.

She mostly likely has never seen it. Before Snow Dogs, she hadn't seen a movie in theaters since A New Hope. Not the re-release, the original one.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 am

My Dad and Step-Mother are to this day still utterly confused by the idea of widescreen/full screen.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:01 am

I tried to watch Memento with my grandma once.

When the movie started, the following conversation took place:

"Why did he kill that guy, I don't like how he kills people."
"Just watch and find out, he has good reasons"
"I don't like him, he's mean"
"You don't know anything about him yet"
"Yeah, I know, but he killed that guy."
"Just watch"
*spoilers*
"I just don't like it when the lead character is a bad guy"
"Forget it, lets watch something else"

Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish - a product of the demented imagination of a lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate who has found a way to live out where the real winds blow - to sleep late, have fun, get wild, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love and not getting arrested. Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good times roll.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:14 am

I'm lucky to have a mom who really respects my opinion and is open-minded, so I've been able to turn her into a real film buff over the years. She's seen more European cinema than me by now, because I spend too much time watching Asian stuff. :oops:

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:45 am

My mom only watches those costume things.

The Ghost Writer B
Zodiac A-
Easy A B

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:48 am
Profile WWW

Beau wrote:
My parents like Woody Allen when he's not in the movie. The Purple Rose of Cairo. Antz qualifies as well, though he provides voice work. You know, back in the day, I believed Woody Allen was actually Woody Harrelson. I was very impressed with Woody Harrelson's comedic voice talents until I learned about Woody Allen. I haven't thought much of Woody Harrelson since.

Ha! So funny you would mention that, I used to get the two confused as well. Except it was that I always thought Woody Harrelson was a director.

Your parents are farther along than mine then. Mine don't like animation, apparently, & probably couldn't be paid to watch The Purple Rose of Cairo. I can see it already - "This is so weird & unrealistic!" All the while, they can watch Bruce Willis jumping from crashing helicopters to the tops of speeding cars & that can be considered an attainable feat.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:49 am

I don't know what my parents watch. When I visit, they seem to prefer watching stuff by themselves on their laptops.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:51 am

ledfloyd wrote:
last night my parents were looking for a movie to watch, i was browsing around on netflix instant and thought i'd give royal tenenbaums a go. my mom said 'i've seen this before, it's about a bunch of rich people and it's stupid, and i can't stand gene hackman.' so i went back to browsing, duck soup came up "this is one of the funniest movies ever."

as soon as the paramount logo came up my dad said "this is old!" i responded "just because it's old means it isn't good?" once the film came on "they talk funny!" then my mom "they're singing now!" my dad "can we please watch something else?" i said "groucho hasn't even showed up yet!" my dad started laughing maniacally "oh my god, groucho hasn't even showed up yet! i can't believe he just said that!" then groucho did show up, and i was laughing, but they were looking more and more tortured, so finally i gave up. they decided to watch seven pounds and i departed to another room.

at one point my mom said "how can you like things like this and make fun of us for laughing at old dogs?"

i don't even know what to say.
I agree with them 100%. Except about Seven Pounds and Old Dogs.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:01 am

LEAVES wrote:
I agree with them 100%. Except about Seven Pounds and Old Dogs.

100%? Who taught you math?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:03 am

getrhythm wrote:

100%? Who taught you math?
I just looked it up in the dictionary.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 am

to be fair, my mom isn't awful, she's willing to give some new things a chance. my dad is ridiculously close minded though.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 am

I feel that a lot people get complacent and settled by 50 or 60 or so..they've reached the top of whatever they've tried to do and eventually they get real comfortable and just want to keep it that way.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:18 am

Beau wrote:
My parents understand that I watch movies. They watch movies, too. Now I live with my very religious aunt and uncle who, however, appear to enjoy VHS Tinto Brass. Would make for awkward family viewing. Also, VHS. There's an art-house videostore nearby, but they have the oddest film selection process in the entire world. You select a, um, plastic poster of the film you want and they, um, give you it at the counter, or something, give you something, not sure what or in what form, though a lot of it seems like VHS or downloaded DVD's. Should inspect further. Perhaps I am wrong. Also, VHS. I don't even know why so many of my friends bother with high-end televisions and technology when you can't rent or buy shit. Cable television is good. And, oh yeah, I forgot, mainstream cinema is well-represented. Art house is an adventure! And I probably got kicked out of KG by now. I can't even internet on my laptop. I have to internet on my aunt's desktop. Oh, the topic of the thread. Fuck that, man. Internet as a verb. That's where it's at.

:D :heart:

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:40 am

My mum has pretty good taste. Or at least, she'll watch a lot of foreign language movies and can enjoy darker fare, but her favourites still tend to be escapist entertainment ones. She adores the Coens heh. She watches all the old Japanese movies with me. I don't really show her French movies.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:45 am

My mom's taste isn't bad. She used to have Netflix and she rented a wide variety of movies (including independent and foreign). She loves Marcello Mastroianni.

On the other hand, she watches Lifetime and Grey's Anatomy a lot. People are funny...

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:47 am

I only rarely had to deal with parents. We had two TVs in the house with satelite, so while they watched whatever, if anything, I would watch other stuff. If there was something I deemed 'acceptable' for my parents' age level then I'd let them watch it. Nothing too violent, of course. That stuff gets old once you're over 21. When I have lived with people my age, though, things were different. Sometimes watched good trash, othertimes bad trash, sometimes people would want to watch good films, sometimes not. My old roommate who wore his Italian heritage on his sleeve, despite resembling his Mexican heritage, refused to watch 8½! The key is to go with the flow.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:50 am

Rdog wrote:
My grandmother called Woody Allen a sex pervert. One of the funniest moments of my life.

My mom has said something to that effect, but she's said that about my dad as well so I'm not sure what to think

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:53 am

getrhythm wrote:
My parents haven't complained about Allen's 'perversions', but they're always saying he's horribly unfunny & his movies suck. Oh, them.

What we got on our hands here is a dead shark.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:02 pm

My step-dad loves westerns. Of course, he doesn't seem to have much interest in the more prominent ones. He likes the black and white western TV shows. My mom likes thrillers. Not foreign ones. She's also in love with Tyler Perry's films despite being mildly racist.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:09 pm

LEAVES wrote:
My old roommate who wore his Italian heritage on his sleeve, despite resembling his Mexican heritage, refused to watch 8½! The key is to go with the flow.

leafy, how did he do this? :D

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:11 pm

Eva wrote:

leafy, how did he do this? :D
He had an Italian flag as a sleeve. They can do that. OK, maybe it was more on his tongue. Not the tattoo, just, you know, that sort of thing. The important thing is - he didn't want to watch 8½? What? Crazy. Crazy.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:17 pm

My mom has good-ish taste. She loves TCM, all the classics. Her taste in modern film is too commercial and sometimes she likes shitty shit but oh well. She used to take us to see great movies when I was a kid - The Burbs, Edward Scissorhands, scary drive-in movies when I was way too young. Good times.

My dad doesn't watch movies but he does like Goodfellas and anything with a mafia or gambling plot.

Brightside wrote:
She's also in love with Tyler Perry's films despite being mildly racist.

LOL :!: Those films lend themselves to mildly racist people since they are so black or white (pun intended) in their pathology. I think I've seen all the Perry films except for two. They are not good, no, but somehow I find them fun to watch. It's brainless entertainment and the knight in shining armor character is hot in a few of them and that helps.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Trip wrote:
My mum has pretty good taste. Or at least, she'll watch a lot of foreign language movies and can enjoy darker fare, but her favourites still tend to be escapist entertainment ones. She adores the Coens heh. She watches all the old Japanese movies with me. I don't really show her French movies.

I'm so confused by this last sentence.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:18 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
I'm so confused by this last sentence.

Then read it properly.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:20 pm

Trip wrote:

Then read it properly.

She hates the French?

Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:20 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
She hates the French?

I can't imagine her liking most French films. Even Ophuls she finds a bit too passionate, or something, it seems. She'd hate Godard (yay), but then also Rivette, Rohmer, Denis, Renoir...but I showed her Same Old Song, which I think she liked! Later day Resnais seems to work.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:28 pm

My parents are generally useless where films are concerned. My mother dedicates most of her time to Danielle Steele adaptations on the Hallmark Channel, though does manage to 'recommend' me a proper movie every now and then. I say 'recommend' because it's always the same movie: Scent of a Woman. "You know what I saw recently? That film with Al Pacino where he's blind/deaf. Now that's a good film." I bought her a DVD player and selection of her favourites years ago, but I'm sure she's never used it. My father, on the other hand, will settle for anything with a renowned pair of tits in it. He seems to know, almost subconsciously, whether there are any tits in a movie. Also, at what point in the movie these tits will appear. Then he proceeds to sleep through the tit-less minutes, waking up every so often to make sure he hasn't missed them. My father and I had two conversations about movies while I was living at home: one was "Do you have that Swordfish on video?" and the other was "Do you have that Monster's Ball on video?"

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:25 pm
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
My father and I had two conversations about movies while I was living at home: one was "Do you have that Swordfish on video?" and the other was "Do you have that Monster's Ball on video?"

Halle Berry fetish! Go DadShyne.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Halle Berry does have a nice pair.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:30 pm

My mother has solid taste, I guess.

My father on the other hand, it's like he can't enjoy anything that's not The Godfather, fucking annoying. I still remember when I showed him No Country for Old Men, he kept complaning about the ending. He seems to always say that the films I show him are too slow, hm. Ugh.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:06 pm

What I've read so far suggests that everyone's parents here are members of RT.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:43 pm

William wrote:
What I've read so far suggests that everyone's parents here are members of RT.

The general population is reminiscent of RT.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:47 pm

More like RT is reminiscent of the general population. The people on RT are real people, you know.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:04 pm

Circus Freak wrote:
More like RT is reminiscent of the general population. The people on RT are real people, you know.
So are the general population. They're both just populations of real people. Even if they're just made up.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Circus Freak wrote:
The people on RT are real people, you know.

I often used to question this, myself.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 pm
Profile WWW

My mom loves the classics of old Hollywood, and generally anything with strong acting performances that make her respond on some emotional level. I got exposed to many of those at an early age, which at the time I did so she would let me go see Batman. These 'emotional films' do include far to many romantic comedies though. She loves Tarantino, which I find odd. My dad doesn't like any film where he doesn't like the main character. I can't make sense of this logic, buts its fun to watch films with him just to see his reaction. I had him watch There Will Be Blood and halfway through he says he hopes
Plainview dies because he's going to hell for being such a bad person.
He's more of an action fan, loves pretty much every movie with Arnold or Stallone. Predicting what movies he will end up liking is like playing roulette.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:07 pm

My dad appears to be alright (although he often used to say "I'm sure you've seen more movies than me" in a nonjoking way :x ) but I've noticed that he tends to confuse movies in a weird manner. Like when I'm watching Pulp Fiction, he'll think it's Kill Bill. Or a single shot of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly makes him think it's a bomb like Ishtar. But he does appear to be familiar with Spanish and French directors.

Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 pm

My dad hates anything even resembling science fiction and loves Adam Sandler. That's about it.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:50 am

My dad watches a lot of bad movies, but he will come with me to see almost anything and he's open to almost everything.
My mom tries to avoid movies with violence, but she watches a lot of classics and has no problem with subtitles or anything like that. They both loved A Serious Man and Bright Star, both of which I convinced them to watch while I was home for break.

When Evening Falls On Bucharest Or Metabolism (Porumboiu '13)
Our Sunhi (Hong '13)
Computer Chess (Bujalski '13)

Blog
Twitter

Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:57 am

getrhythm wrote:
Your parents are farther along than mine then. Mine don't like animation, apparently, & probably couldn't be paid to watch The Purple Rose of Cairo. I can see it already - "This is so weird & unrealistic!" All the while, they can watch Bruce Willis jumping from crashing helicopters to the tops of speeding cars & that can be considered an attainable feat.

I laughed rather audibly at this comment. Yep. I know the feeling. And that type of movie-watcher. 8-)
Some kinds of fantasy aren't fantasy...while other kinds of fantasy are impossible. :?

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:04 am

Dizzle Sizzle wrote:
My dad hates anything even resembling science fiction and loves Adam Sandler. That's about it.

Wow, I'm almost the polar opposite of that.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:05 am

My mother is pretty insistent on watching Sherlock Holmes tonight, but I think I've also gotten her excited about watching Bright Star, A Serious Man, and Inglourious Basterds at some point.

She's good that way.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:50 am

getrhythm wrote:
Who taught you math?

*read that in val kilmer's voice*

last.fm

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2