It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC) 
Post The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

A Manifesto in the Making of History

"The Making of"

Some ideas... on why I can't be Roger Ebert and Star Wars.... not all will necessarily be a part of the final cut

1) CRASH (Haggis) is the key to understanding why Justine S. cannot be Roger Ebert, CRASH is the "independent" version of Avatar and Star Wars. It is just as dangerous as The Birth of a Nation. It should not be destroyed, but should be looked at as "quaint" and antiquated.

2) The Internet is the key to revolution, and will be the deciding vehicle in any radical social or intellectual movement in the next few years. It must be utilized heavily, preferably in new ways... community is important.

3) The body is essential, it is too often forgotten, but our physicality and mortality is KEY.

4) We need more Kael.

5) We need less Avatar

6) Tied to #2 Universities and buildings of education no longer paramount in the intellectual process. Recommended solely as a breeding ground.

7) All the evils of the demographic based media community can be found in AM Radio and 24 Hour News Channels. They must be deconstruction and devalued.

8) Questions about Roger Ebert need to be asked. Is Roger Ebert a product of society, or is society a product of Roger Ebert?

9) If you study Political Science, the pinnacle of your profession is to become Jon Stewart. He is the Poli-sci equivalent of Roger Ebert.

10) Against Interpretation by Susan Sontag is pivotal.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 pm
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Yes.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:34 pm

what

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:34 pm
Profile WWW

Epistemophobia wrote:
what

Have some coca cola, and you'll begin to understand.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 pm

11) Engineers are more interesting than film students, because I'm not sure how stupid they are.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
11) Engineers are more interesting than film students, because I'm not sure how stupid they are.

I have real world experience. Very stupid.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:36 pm

I'm afraid of Rouge's mind.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:36 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:

I have real world experience. Very stupid.

Thank you, but at least they have chosen a career where they can make money. Film students are dumb and can't make money.

Wolfy wrote:
I'm afraid of Rouge's mind.

People were afraid of Karl Marx's mind too.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:37 pm

Gold digger.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm
Profile WWW

Epistemophobia wrote:
Gold digger.

I just want an engineer for his sweet sweet ... ass. Oh, and the money. THis is really all about money, and why I can't be Roger Ebert unless the world changes, and being Roger Ebert means not being Roger Ebert, so I can make money.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:39 pm

huh?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:40 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:

10) Against Interpretation by Susan Sontag is pivotal.

Absolutely.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:41 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I just want an engineer for his sweet sweet ... ass. Oh, and the money. THis is really all about money, and why I can't be Roger Ebert unless the world changes, and being Roger Ebert means not being Roger Ebert, so I can make money.

I almost studied engineering, enrolled and everything. A friend of mine went through with it. He's still studying while I'm making money. He's also now a Christian.

And single.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:41 pm
Profile WWW

Philosophe rouge wrote:
9) If you study Political Science, the pinnacle of your profession is to become Jon Stewart. He is the Poli-sci equivalent of Roger Ebert.

Say what?

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 pm

Epistemophobia wrote:
I almost studied engineering, enrolled and everything. A friend of mine went through with it. He's still studying while I'm making money. He's also now a Christian.

And single.

I haven't gotten to my rules about religion.

Vasco wrote:
Absolutely.

IT's the definite cinematic text.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:42 pm

wait, what does star wars have to do with reviewing film?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 pm

Brightside wrote:

Say what?

It makes sense when you think of it, except Jon Stewart is really awesome...

Eva wrote:
wait, what's star wars have to do with reviewing film?

Absolutely everything. Star Wars changed the world of film forever, in the worst possible way.

So, just to codify the first lesson. Money=good. More money=gooder.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:
So, just to codify the first lesson. Money=good. More money=gooder.

Fuck yea bitch.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
It makes sense when you think of it, except Jon Stewart is really awesome...

Eh. I suppose both are fairly easily digestible figureheads in their respective fields.

| letterboxd

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:46 pm

:?

The Ghost Writer B
Zodiac A-
Easy A B

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 pm
Profile WWW

Philosophe rouge wrote:
Fuck yea bitch.

What are your thoughts on the gold standard? By which I mean the economic policy, and not a clever way to describe the way millionaire jet set engineers live.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 pm

what a libertarian question

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 pm

Brightside wrote:

Eh. I suppose both are fairly easily digestible figureheads in their respective fields.

I mean, if you want to look at the American perception of success, under those circumstance, I perceive each as being the most successful in their given "fields". My opinion means nothing though.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I mean, if you want to look at the American perception of success, under those circumstance, I perceive each as being the most successful in their given "fields". My opinion means nothing though.

I can't really disagree with that.

| letterboxd

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 pm

Are you saying that filmmaking is driven by the almighty dollar now? Bobbycock. Why, James Cameron was on Inside the Actor's Studio two weeks ago and told every student in attendence that if you go into a film thinking about how much money it could/should make then you shouldn't be making movies.

:-/

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 pm

Evil Prevails wrote:

What are your thoughts on the gold standard? By which I mean the economic policy, and not a clever way to describe the way millionaire jet set engineers live.

I don't think of it. I have neither the education, nor the will to begin to comprehend the actual value of money. My opinion would be absolutely meaningless, and for me to even attempt to even attempt to justify any opinion on it I may have, would be an exercise in conceit. The only thing in life I know remotely anything about is movies, and that my knowledge and opinion in film will mean nothing unless the society around me transforms.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:51 pm

Monsieur Red wrote:
Are you saying that filmmaking is driven by the almighty dollar now? Bobbycock. Why, James Cameron was on Inside the Actor's Studio two weeks ago and told every student in attendence that if you go into a film thinking about how much money it could/should make then you shouldn't be making movies.

:-/

You have to be an extremely dumb person to believe that you'll make money making movies. You have to be even dumber to think you can make movies that won't make money given the current climate. Why would someone give you money if they can invest in a multi-million dollar project that will earn you billions?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:52 pm

you're doing some soul searching today, Justine?

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 pm

Eva wrote:
you're doing some soul searching today, Justine?

Coca Cola

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
Coca Cola

Kidney stones

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Eva wrote:

Kidney stones

My kidneys are made out of leather.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:55 pm

This is why I hate Rouge.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:56 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
You have to be an extremely dumb person to believe that you'll make money making movies. You have to be even dumber to think you can make movies that won't make money given the current climate. Why would someone give you money if they can invest in a multi-million dollar project that will earn you billions?

I'm not overly worried about the filmmaking climate. Independent filmmaking is just as strong as ever and even our country, led by Quebec, is churning out smaller, quality pictures at a bigger clip.

*drinks Coke*

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:57 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
My kidneys are made out of leather.

Sweetheart, you need to hang out more with the megarich!

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:58 pm

but roger ebert has embraced the communal power of the internet and despises 3d technology. this manifesto needs a new name.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:00 pm

Monsieur Red wrote:
I'm not overly worried about the filmmaking climate. Independent filmmaking is just as strong as ever and even our country, led by Quebec, is churning out smaller, quality pictures at a bigger clip.

*drinks Coke*
We would have no Fellini without budgets. I miss Fellini. A lot.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:00 pm

Trip wrote:
This is why I hate Rouge.

This is why I hate her too.

Monsieur Red wrote:

*drinks Coke*

It's not juts as strong as ever... it really really isn't. REALLY.

Eva wrote:

Sweetheart, you need to hang out more with the megarich!

The megarich would never understand or accept me. I would feel like an unnattractive outcast.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:01 pm

also, do they still put cocaine in canadian coca-cola? cause that would explain alot right now.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:01 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I don't think of it. I have neither the education, nor the will to begin to comprehend the actual value of money. My opinion would be absolutely meaningless, and for me to even attempt to even attempt to justify any opinion on it I may have, would be an exercise in conceit. The only thing in life I know remotely anything about is movies, and that my knowledge and opinion in film will mean nothing unless the society around me transforms.

Well, huh, I am going to make a serious post. Have you thought about how the mechanism which has essentially made film criticism into a dead/dying institution, and all the other old media bastions and their related fields right along with it, is the same mechanism which has given you a 24 hour a day outlet to discuss and hone your views, technique and opinion, as well as the audience you do have, all those blog hits you were bragging on the other day? I mean, yeah, there prolly won't be anymore superstar film critics, legitimate intellectual critics anyways, but I mean the odds of that happening to anyone in the old days were on the same astronomical scale as being a movie star, regardless of talent. Now, the stakes may be smaller, but the ease of sharing information makes success (if you redefine the definition to the new reality) a lot more attainable.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 pm

ledfloyd wrote:
also, do they still put cocaine in canadian coca-cola? cause that would explain alot right now.

That and our Iced Tea.

ledfloyd wrote:
but roger ebert has embraced the communal power of the internet and despises 3d technology. this manifesto needs a new name.

I don't have a problem with Roger Ebert. I also explain this stance in point #8, which has yet to be addressed seriously.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I don't have a problem with Roger Ebert. I also explain this stance in point #8, which has yet to be addressed seriously.

i don't think either postulate is true.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:03 pm

I thought by moving away from RT we were also moving away from the name Roger Ebert. Rouge, die.

ledfloyd wrote:

I switched to Pepsi for a while but the Coke called me back.

Trip wrote:
I thought by moving away from RT we were also moving away from the name Roger Ebert. Rouge, die.

There is no escape. He's bringing back his show.

Evil Prevails wrote:

Well, huh, I am going to make a serious post. Have you thought about how the mechanism which has essentially made film criticism into a dead/dying institution, and all the other old media bastions and their related fields right along with it, is the same mechanism which has given you a 24 hour a day outlet to discuss and hone your views, technique and opinion, as well as the audience you do have, all those blog hits you were bragging on the other day? I mean, yeah, there prolly won't be anymore superstar film critics, legitimate intellectual critics anyways, but I mean the odds of that happening to anyone in the old days were on the same astronomical scale as being a movie star, regardless of talent. Now, the stakes may be smaller, but the ease of sharing information makes success (if you redefine the definition to the new reality) a lot more attainable.

You are allowed to be serious, because I respect your opinion (truly and seriously). I don't particular want to be a famous legitimate superstar critic, my dream is not even to become a film critic. It is just the easiest thing I can do, and it's not easy, and it's pretty mindless. I can't say I related the Internet with the 24 hour news or the death of film criticism, and it's probably the smartest thing I've heard all day... essentially key to the foundation of my coke fuelled manifesto. I can't expect the world to return to the way it was (or how I perceive it might have been... probably a more accurate assessment of the situation), but embrace the possibilities of a new future that is different and exciting.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:05 pm

the limits of my own intellectual capacity is my lack of vision and ability to create and embrace new ideas and ways of seeing the world. I am doomed to be average unless I transform myself.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:08 pm

Philosophe rouge wrote:
the limits of my own intellectual capacity is my lack of vision and ability to create and embrace new ideas and ways of seeing the world. I am doomed to be average unless I transform myself.

First step: lose the jaw. It's holding you back.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:09 pm
Profile WWW

Philosophe rouge wrote:

The Allspark can help you.

The Ghost Writer B
Zodiac A-
Easy A B

Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:10 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next