It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Six Feet Under 
Post Six Feet Under

The HBO series. Never saw it, before; have long wanted to. Went out shopping. All 5 seasons for $83. I bought it. Blind-bought it. What am I to expect?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:23 am
Post Re: Six Feet Under

Trevor-Trevor wrote:
The HBO series. Never saw it, before; have long wanted to. Went out shopping. All 5 seasons for $83. I bought it. Blind-bought it. What am I to expect?

It's a solid show, and while it isn't as close to the greatness of say The Wire, it stands alone as one of HBO's best inventions. The acting is unbelievable.

almost arthouse

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:35 am
Profile WWW

plainview wrote:

Really, really good, but The Wire is better.

My only HBO viewings have been all of Ricky Gervais' Extras, and Seasons 1+2 of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

After Six Feet Under, I would like to watch The Wire.

And continue with Curb.

I might watch along in this thread and post some thoughts as I watch through in this thread by episode or something.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:37 am

Just curious, does Six Feet interest you more than The Wire?

almost arthouse

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:39 am
Profile WWW

plainview wrote:
Just curious, does Six Feet interest you more than The Wire?

Well, I've seen neither, and all I really know about each is very basic synopsis. The brief synopsis of Six Feet does interest me, more.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:40 am

Trevor-Trevor wrote:

Well, I've seen neither, and all I really know about each is very basic synopsis. The brief synopsis of Six Feet does interest me, more.

You will enjoy it, but The Wire, as you probably have heard, is THE best.

almost arthouse

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:41 am
Profile WWW

Nothing compares to that one other show. Nothing.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:43 am

LEAVES wrote:
Nothing compares to that one other show. Nothing.

nope

almost arthouse

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:45 am
Profile WWW

Expect greatness. Well, I can only vouch for the first season and the first disc of the second season since that's as far as I've made it in right now, but it's all been great.

The Ghost Writer B
Zodiac A-
Easy A B

Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:59 am
Profile WWW

plainview wrote:

nope
I'm talking about Robot Chicken.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 am

LEAVES wrote:
I'm talking about Robot Chicken.

I know...

almost arthouse

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:43 am
Profile WWW

Six Feet Under is great. You won't be disappointed.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:44 am
Profile WWW

Just finished episode one! There was so much to like from it. Having Nathaniel frequently appear and converse with the family is pretty cool. I generally like the characters. Good music.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:12 am

WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS BRINGING UP THE WIRE? THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOD-DAMNED WIRE!

Anyway, amazing show Trevor, I'm sure you'll love it. Post your thoughts when you get started.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:40 am

Three episodes in - I'm really getting into this. The contrasting of Dave and Nate I thought would lead to some expected conflicts, and it kind-of does. They're avoiding the stereotypes. The blending past events in present moments, along with Nathaniel's continued involvement with the family post-death give the series a kind of nostalgic supernatural feel, like I like.

There have been some stand-out moments I really enjoyed. Nate's "existential walks", as Sammael once referred to them, as. When Dave and Nate got aboard the bus, in episode 2. Claire's fantasy dance number in episode 3. I liked the parallelism of Claire's recent life events with that of the missing foot.

End of episode 3 was wonderful.
House burning down!? Will it be explained? Did Claire do it? Was it just some unexplainable mystery? Is the series trying to further show us the unpredictability of life?

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:32 am

Another show I need to watch in full.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:32 am
Profile WWW

Good show. And that finale. Wow.

I've never, ever felt a desire to rewatch it though.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:38 am

You'll more than likely love it. I don't know anyone that has started Six Feet Under and didn't love it. Exceptional acting, and the best series finale I've ever seen. It's a wonderful show.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:16 am

Amazing show. I'm in mid-season 2.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:18 am
Profile WWW

Oh and you will end up hating and loving each character at various points, the only show that I know of where your feelings swing to such extremes.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:18 am

It my favorite TV Show of all time. You're in for something special Trevor.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:00 am

Sammael wrote:
WHY IS EVERYONE ALWAYS BRINGING UP THE WIRE? THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOD-DAMNED WIRE!

Anyway, amazing show Trevor, I'm sure you'll love it. Post your thoughts when you get started.

Because

almost arthouse

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:28 pm
Profile WWW

I need to finish watching the Wire. Bought the complete set a while back but I've only seen the first season.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:29 pm
Profile WWW

I just finished all seasons of Six Feet over the past 2 months. It's really solid. As for the fire,
it's definitely not Claire...

The last 4 episodes hit like a ton of bricks. The characters will annoy you a bit but they are always 3-dimensional and human. And Rico is hot. I want Rico.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:35 am

Episode 4, Familia, was alright. The weakest I've seen so far, though.

5, An Open Book - was much better. Keith's character is really developed this episode.

6, The Room - I loved. Very philosophical. Nate's little fantasy of what his father could have been doing in this room was most glorious.

7, Brotherhood - The first episode to make me tear up
(it happened during the wake, when the guy found out what kind of funeral his deceased brother really wanted, and when he goes to sit down with his brother's friends.)

Billy's character is frightening, from his short little thing with Claire, to what he did at the end of Brotherhood, which I'm sure was intentional
(him going off his meds and making a scene to spoil Brenda's plans with Nate)

I'm now over 1/10th through the series.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:18 am

Trevor-Trevor wrote:
Episode 4, Familia, was alright. The weakest I've seen so far, though.

5, An Open Book - was much better. Keith's character is really developed this episode.

6, The Room - I loved. Very philosophical. Nate's little fantasy of what his father could have been doing in this room was most glorious.

7, Brotherhood - The first episode to make me tear up
(it happened during the wake, when the guy found out what kind of funeral his deceased brother really wanted, and when he goes to sit down with his brother's friends.)

I'm now over 1/10th through the series.

You're moving at a nice pace Trev.

almost arthouse

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:19 am
Profile WWW

Do all HBO dramas have hour-long episodes?

Also - does HBO air any breaks or commercials during their programming? I've never had the channel, so wouldn't know.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 am

Trevor-Trevor wrote:
Do all HBO dramas have hour-long episodes?

Also - does HBO air any breaks or commercials during their programming? I've never had the channel, so wouldn't know.

Most dramas are an hour, there are a few exceptions, In Treatment being one.

Also, no commercials, very nice.

almost arthouse

Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:32 am
Profile WWW

Episode 8, Crossroads: So-so; good

Episode 9, Life's Too Short: :shock: :shock: :(

Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:36 am

Trevor-Trevor wrote:
Episode 8, Crossroads: So-so; good

Episode 9, Life's Too Short: :shock: :shock: :(

Glad your digging it so far Trev.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Season 1 -finished. Favourite episodes: The Room. Life's Too Short. The Trip. A Private Life.

Began Season 2. Watched episode 2-1, In The Game. Awkward dinner table scene and Nate's hallucination were fantastic. Other than that, episode was merely good. A fun character episode, but no new progressions.

Tomorrow I'll probably give the Season 1 boxset to a friend. I hope he'll watch it.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:33 pm

I appreciate your speed, Trevor. I am the same way with watching television on DVD. Can't wait until you watch the finale - you will feel so many emotions. It's really well done. Just four seasons to go! ;)

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:41 pm

She shows finale is one of the best ever created, and probably the best HBO has to offer.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:41 pm

Dayz wrote:
She shows finale is one of the best ever created, and probably the best HBO has to offer.

correct.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:51 pm

I do warn you now Trev, that this show literally makes you depressed as you watch. So the faster you watch it the quicker you will get depressed. Also I found that I hated pretty much every character at some point or another in this shows run..but I think thats a good thing.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:09 pm

Dayz wrote:

:up:

almost arthouse

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:14 pm
Profile WWW

Excellent show with an amazing series finale.

Having said that, I will probably never rewatch it because it will just depress the shit out of me. I think this is a good thing, though.

Casualties of War (De Palma, 1989)
Book of Eli (Hughes Brothers, 2010)
Mister Lonely (Korine, 2007)

Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:33 pm

I watched episodes 2-2, 2-3, and 2-4, today. All good - none reaching the excellence of Season's One's bests. I'm sure this season will pick up.

This already appears to be taking a toll on me. Maybe [it could just be my depression]. I doubt I'll do again what I did yesterday and go through 9 episodes back-to-back. The heavy, often depressive thought-provoking material can get very draining, emotionally.

There's been no major developments made.
Nate's little seizure at the drive-in was unexpected and really sad to watch. Especially Claire's reaction.

Even though his presence was often harmful, I do kinda miss Billy, who hasn't yet appeared this season. He is a great character.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 am

Billy Billy Billy. Jeremy Sisto is hot. Good character too. :P He'll be back, don't worry.

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:52 am

I watched episode 2-6: In Place of Anger. Fine episode, as usual, but we finally get to see Ruth's sister! She's a good character, having a seemingly playful and outgoing exterior, but inside, just as tormented as Ruth is; and just an envious.

I'll be finishing Season 2 this weekend.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:31 am

Season two complete.

Not sure if I preferred it over Season one. There was noting in season two quite as enigmatically fun as The Room, or as devastating as Life's Too Short. But as a whole, it was probably more consistent.

Favourite episodes: "I'll Take You", "The Last Time"

Some of my favourite moments were from those last 2 episodes. David and Keith's shouting match. David helping Nate fill out his preneeds form. David and Claire, high together. Claire's flashdance dream.

Billy really took an interesting turn this season. Early on he seemed way too medicated and zombified, but he grew into a more comfortable groove. I liked his moments with Claire. Kinda creepy, yet tasteful and charming. I just hope it stays that way.

Also: goddamn Brenda. :x

Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:50 am

Trevor-Trevor wrote:
Also: goddamn Brenda. :x

won't be the last time you say this.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Vivacious J wrote:
Billy Billy Billy. Jeremy Sisto is hot. Good character too. :P He'll be back, don't worry.

Yes. When we first see him in the diving suit half down I almost came.

Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Trip wrote:

Yes. When we first see him in the diving suit half down I almost came.

So sexy. I like him in everything he's in. I had a feeling you'd like him. We sorta have similar taste. How do you feel about Gabe?

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:20 am

My favorite show.
And I'm going to say this for the first time, I really connected with the characters and cared about them. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:40 am

Vasco wrote:
My favorite show.
And I'm going to say this for the first time, I really connected with the characters and cared about them. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Who did you connect with/care about the most?

Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:53 am

Vivacious J wrote:

Who did you connect with/care about the most?

Claire and Brenda.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:23 am

Season three.

Episode 3-1.
Those first 12 minutes were crushing. And everything after - is this all a dream? We got a look into the multiple lives Nate could have lived. Nathanial mentioned that he and everyone exists in different plains of reality. So ...is everything in the later half of the episode in a different reality from the first 2 seasons? What the fuck happened to Nate? This is not him. Married Lisa? That child has changed him for the worse. He and Lisa are clearly lying to each other for the sake of their offspring. This'll build and build and blow up terribly, just like Nate and Brenda did. Keith and David also seem to be falling apart. Claire's not liking art school.

Episode 3-2.
What an intense, unexpected opening death scene. Rico's morals are annoying me. So much aggression in that little man. Nice little moment at the end of the episode with his kid, though. I'd like to see the return of Brenda and Billy. Kathy Bates ala Misery? Cool.

Also:

Wide-screen. Cool.

48 minutes and 50 minutes. Shorter episodes than usual.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:03 am

Trevor-Trevor wrote:
Season three.

Episode 3-1.
Those first 12 minutes were crushing. And everything after - is this all a dream? We got a look into the multiple lives Nate could have lived. Nathanial mentioned that he and everyone exists in different plains of reality. So ...is everything in the later half of the episode in a different reality from the first 2 seasons? What the fuck happened to Nate? This is not him. Married Lisa? That child has changed him for the worse. He and Lisa are clearly lying to each other for the sake of their offspring. This'll build and build and blow up terribly, just like Nate and Brenda did. Keith and David also seem to be falling apart. Claire's not liking art school.

Episode 3-2.
What an intense, unexpected opening death scene. Rico's morals are annoying me. So much aggression in that little man. Nice little moment at the end of the episode with his kid, though. I'd like to see the return of Brenda and Billy. Kathy Bates ala Misery? Cool.

Lisa = worst.

Rico's "morals" are annoying. He's very childlike and takes care of his own but sees life in a very simple context that just isn't there.

Vasco wrote:
Claire and Brenda.

Hmmm...Claire yes. Brenda can be like sand in an oyster and has so many issues, I can't say that I personally relate to her, but she's certainly a complex woman unique to television in a way. I have a fondness for David, not sure that I relate to him per say but I like the character a lot.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:40 am

Never cared for Lisa or Rico

almost arthouse

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next