It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 2291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 46  Next
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

That wasn't clear, sorry. I was trying to use it as a gauge... if you loved Noiseuse, maybe I won't like Marie and Julien, etc. I could just watch it and see! But I found a way to see Noroit, so that'll be first.

Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:34 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
That wasn't clear, sorry. I was trying to use it as a gauge... if you loved Noiseuse, maybe I won't like Marie and Julien, etc. I could just watch it and see! But I found a way to see Noroit, so that'll be first.

I didn't like Noiseuse much. Sure, for a guy it's cool to see so much onscreen nudity from Beart, but I admire the premise and conceit of Rivette's intentions more than his execution.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:42 am

Rivette :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Never made a bad film.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:43 am

Around a Small Mountain was pretty terrible :shifty:

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:46 am

Shhh

It was ok.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:47 am

Huh? Around a SM is wonderful.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am

i havent seen his 90s or other 00s work so i may have missed the progression but there wasnt much to play with in it

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:52 am

Nor'west is his best, obviously.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:55 pm

nah, but whatever

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Post Maiden's Voyage: Best of 2012

Best films first seen in

I saw 213 films for the first time this year. This post is an attempt to narrow that list to a completely arbitrary 30 favorites. I find I've already written about two thirds of them in this or the Female Gaze thread, so I'll add links. But, if you want to hear a defense of any film in particular, just ask, and I’ll see what I can do.

* link takes you out of thread

My other year-end lists: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010.

Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:25 am

wow what a great year!! i dont yet know A Casa but that's a formidable top 4, Holy Whore gets overlooked too often :)

Also so stoked to see love for Sawdust and Tinsel but i think we've spazzed about it together before

happy new year!!! i love this thread and can't wait to keep reading :D

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:37 am

It was an amazing year (for movies, anyway). Happy New Year, wigs. :)

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:55 am

Assimilation.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:26 am
Profile WWW

hey SHIELD im downloading one of these but not telling which one deal with it

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 am

I like seeing The Sacrifice so high on your list. The last 20 minutes of that film I think are some of the most powerful in the history of cinema.

I also like seeing The Treasure of The Sierra Madre on there too. I too often forget about that film.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Trip wrote:
hey SHIELD im downloading one of these but not telling which one deal with it
Ha. I'm always shocked to find that I've seen something you haven't.
A Casa?

Von Samuel wrote:
I like seeing The Sacrifice so high on your list. The last 20 minutes of that film I think are some of the most powerful in the history of cinema.
That's how I felt about the whole 2½ hours. It was in my all-time top ten for the Consensus Thread.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
A Casa?

I already have A Casa...somewhere.
Yeah but I don't watch "art" films anymore, so.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Trip wrote:
Yeah but I don't watch "art" films anymore, so.
:(

Actually, I think you haven't seen Chekhov's Motifs, Despair, Murder on D Street, The Bloody Child, or Ghare Baire...

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
A Casa?

That's how I felt about the whole 2½ hours. It was in my all-time top ten for the Consensus Thread.
I had a little difficulty with it at times early in the film, but that is par for the course with Tarkovsky. Sometimes I wish he would do more showing, rather than telling. But, that is my only problem with one of my favorite directors.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:26 pm

I quoted the wrong post, but you still know what I mean.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
:(

Actually, I think you haven't seen Chekhov's Motifs, Despair, Murder on D Street, The Bloody Child, or Ghare Baire...

All unseen! You know me so well <3

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Oh, no one's seeding this shit so I'll never see it hahahaha.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Von Samuel wrote:
I had a little difficulty with it at times early in the film, but that is par for the course with Tarkovsky. Sometimes I wish he would do more showing, rather than telling. But, that is my only problem with one of my favorite directors.
I loved the telling parts, too. :P
Trip wrote:
Oh, no one's seeding this shit so I'll never see it hahahaha.
Aw. What was it?

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:08 pm

D Street

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I loved the telling parts, too. :P
Aw. What was it?

The only films of his that I really get into the typical blocks of dialogue he has, are Stalker, and The Mirror, especially The Mirror.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Trip wrote:
D Street

I'm seeding it, dickface

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Also, nice list Maiden

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:16 pm

Bandy's seeding the D.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:23 pm
Profile WWW

Haha, actually... I'm not seeding it. My copy is an MKV from CG, and better quality.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:23 pm

The Surrealz one is still up, so it's all good.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Great list, Maiden! Lots of recs for me because there's a ton of stuff there that I haven't seen.

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:10 pm

The Turin Horse and The Sacrifice at #1 and #2. I approve of this.

My New Year's resolution is to watch more films, so that when I don't make a list at the end of the year it will be because I hate making lists and not because I didn't watch enough stuff to make a decent one.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:03 pm

sometimes i think i only watch movies in order to make lists

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 am

charulata wrote:
Great list, Maiden! Lots of recs for me because there's a ton of stuff there that I haven't seen.
Really? Awesome! I can't wait for you to see them all!

Circus Freak wrote:
The Turin Horse and The Sacrifice at #1 and #2. I approve of this.
:)

This top ten could keep me happy for quite some time on the proverbial desert island.

wigwam wrote:
sometimes i think i only watch movies in order to make lists
I guess it's the only reason to see bad films. :P

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 am
Post Maiden's Voyage: A Wolf Teeth Necklace

Image Image

What a great start to the new year! A Wolf Teeth Necklace was made for me... thanks, B-Side! There’s sweetness and life here, struggling for dominance in the midst of terrible things, the centerpiece being a boy's loss of his father to a sentence of hard labor in Siberia. The color filters and lens effects give an appropriately dreamy (sometimes nightmarish) tone to the childhood memories and fears. It all gets less surreal as he grows up, of course, as he comprehends more of what goes on around him, but the rooms are still hazy with sadness and the skies are tinged with agonizing regrets. Then the end wraps around to the beginning, but, instead of making sense of it, takes us deeper into a fevered mind with its confusion of nightmares, and then just... lets go. It's strangely beautiful!

As for its influences, I definitely saw some Sokurov and Bartas. But, I notice it came out the same year as Mother and Son and A Casa, so, many of the most blatant similarities are not straight quotes, as I'd assumed, although the influences are there, one way or another. And, of course it’s filled to bursting with The Mirror, with some Has and Kusturica thrown in for good measure. That ending even has a little Fellini in it. I'm definitely looking forward to more Puipa!

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:34 am
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage: A Wolf Teeth Necklace

Shieldmaiden wrote:
There’s sweetness and life here, struggling for dominance in the midst of terrible things, the centerpiece being a boy's loss of his father, who's been sentenced to hard labor in Siberia. The color filters and lens effects give an appropriately dreamy, sometimes nightmarish tone to the childhood memories and fears. It all gets less surreal as he grows up, of course, as he comprehends more of what goes on around him, but the rooms are still hazy with sadness and the skies are tinged with agonizing regrets. Then the end wraps around to the beginning, but, instead of making sense of it, takes you deeper into a fevered mind with its confusion of nightmares, and just... lets go. It's strangely beautiful!

Sold!

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:02 am

Yeah, that one is beautiful. It will almost make my 2012 list, whenever I get around to doing that.

Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:04 pm

charulata wrote:
Sold!

so it wasn't enough that it was in my top 10 of 2012

you're constantly breaking my heart

glad you liked the film so much, maiden of the shield

| letterboxd

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:02 pm

B-Side wrote:
so it wasn't enough that it was in my top 10 of 2012
I think it's clear who loves you more. :D

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:33 am

two of my top something films of all time in your sig there, maiden, what did you think of them?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:53 am

Loooved the Leone. I don't know why it took me so long to get around to it. The music, the story, that cast! :heart:

What's your other favorite? The Rohmer or the Skolimowski?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:28 am

The former. Succinct, glad you enjoyed it. Claire's Knee is wonderful, though his Moral Tales are quite a bit more male-centric and the voiceovers give them a different feel.
And yessssss on Leone. Have you seen Duck, You Sucker!?

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:35 am

MrCarmady wrote:
The former. Succinct, glad you enjoyed it. Claire's Knee is wonderful, though his Moral Tales are quite a bit more male-centric and the voiceovers give them a different feel.
Maud's is male-centric and I love it, too.

Quote:
And yessssss on Leone. Have you seen Duck, You Sucker!?
Not yet!

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:48 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Not yet!

It is so underrated; beautiful, beautiful movie.

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:58 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I think it's clear who loves you more. :D

and charmander thought we were gonna have a vegas-style wedding in toronto come september

| letterboxd

Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:58 pm
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage: Vertigo

A re-watch of Vertigo (thanks to dreiser) was one of my most rewarding film experiences last year, and would have made it into this thread for sure if the Consensus thread hadn't happened first. Because, mournful nostalgia, etc. etc. So, I hope no one minds if I include a link here to my writing on that thread.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:48 am
Post Maiden's Voyage: Three Days

Image Image

Three Days is my third Bartas, and, while not as insidious and heartbreaking as A Casa, was a very similar experience for me. Attempts at plot description are mere wishful thinking. The scenes don’t seem to connect, even rearranged or assuming ellipses. But, I was more than happy to wander through the fog with the characters, catching brief glimpses of parties I wasn't invited to and sorrows I wasn't privy to. I was constantly reminded of Costa in the beautiful ruins, and especially in the way both directors abandon narrative and show only the emotional trappings under the story instead. So, here we have friendships and rivalries, mercurial moods, and a foundation of strange desperation, all springing from—what? memory? dream? a story half-heard late at night? It doesn't matter. The images are rich and gorgeous, with reflections like liquid gold, trains like jarring anachronisms, faces like whole novels; and always the crumbling textures, faded colors tinged with a watercolor pink, the glow of lights under the muddy surface. Even the pollution is oddly beautiful! And through it all, I can just see the aimlessness and regret, missed opportunities and loss.

I need more Bartas!

More gorgeous screencaps here.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:48 am

Damn, well said.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:01 am
Profile WWW

Why does Vertigo only get better everytime ?! I THINK IT IS WITCHCRAFT!

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:02 am

Epistemophobia wrote:
Damn, well said.
:)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
Why does Vertigo only get better everytime ?! I THINK IT IS WITCHCRAFT!
It really is made for rewatches!

Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 2291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 46  Next