It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 ribbon says so 
Post Re: ribbon's rhapsody: a cinematic reckoning

Trip wrote:
Only two I've seen lol. I hear The Farmer's Wife is good!

You heard right about The Farmer's Wife.

And The Ring, just as you said, ribs, for me is the earliest of his films that has many clear "Hitchcock moments." Now, that may not be literally true. There could be some in earlier films, but they aren't in as great a number and so they aren't as evident. The Farmer's Wife, from the year after The Ring, shows that Hitchcock handles comedy very very well.

As long as you don't look for The Farmer's Wife to be Vertigo you'll be able to enjoy it. Al wasn't out from under the studio bosses' thumbs, yet.

"The wealthy and powerful always remind us that cream rises to the top.
What they fail to acknowledge is that pond scum also rises to the top.
And there is a lot more pond scum in the world than there is cream.
If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:54 am

That's good news! & you're right, there may have been clearer signs of his comfort in the medium well before this, but I was still rather surprised to see his distinctive flourishes throughout. Somehow even more evident than those in The Lodger, at least, which is something to be noted considering that particular film is in the same suspenseful vein as his later works, only without the more technical elements that make Hitch 'the master'.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 pm

some of these early hitchcocks sound much more interesting than his later, more renowned work

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:15 pm

B-Side wrote:
some of these early hitchcocks sound much more interesting than his later, more renowned work

You're just predisposed to thinking this way.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:20 pm

ribbon's thread will be the death of everyone else's, 3 pages already!!!

* The Sun in a Net / Uher
** The Seashell and the Clergyman / Dulac
The Tales of Beatrix Potter / Mills
* A Flood in Ba'ath Country / Amiralay
Times and Winds / Erdem
Most Beautiful Island / Asensio
* Japanese Girls Never Die / Matsui
* Birth Certificate / Różewicz
Bush Mama / Gerima
** Paris Is Burning / Livingston

TWEET1 | TWEET2 | FACE | BOXD | TUMBL1 | TUMBL2

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:21 pm

Mainly because I have too much free time to do tons of posting, :P.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:23 pm

B-Side wrote:

If you're referring to The Ring, while it's good, it doesn't touch most of his later work. But in my opinion, The Lodger can stand pretty strong next to his other films.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Fist wrote:
You're just predisposed to thinking this way.

predisposed to thinking more expressive and interesting form is more interesting than the opposite? yes, i am

| letterboxd

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:37 pm

ribbon wrote:
If you're referring to The Ring, while it's good, it doesn't touch most of his later work. But in my opinion, The Lodger can stand pretty strong next to his other films.

It's not just The Ring. It's much of his earlier work. It sounds more expressionistic and experimental, which I appreciate. Of course, this is all speculative. It's not meant as a catch-all assessment of his entire body of work.

| letterboxd

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:39 pm

B-Side wrote:

It's not just The Ring. It's much of his earlier work. It sounds more expressionistic and experimental, which I appreciate. Of course, this is all speculative. It's not meant as a catch-all assessment of his entire body of work.

Oh, of course. It is slightly more experimental until he finds his directorial voice. Very interesting to see the transformation, granted I've only seen two.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:46 pm

That initial search for a "voice" is almost consistently the most interesting aspect of a director's career. That doesn't make it the best or most accomplished, but it's often more fascinating to dissect. Most directors settle -- for lack of a better word -- as they age and become more experienced. They stop trying new things and discovering new ways to convey ideas and play with the form. I don't see this as a lack of confidence, or even a lack of their true directorial voice, but rather a valid search for cinematic truth. Some directors never stop experimenting, and they're often the best out there.

| letterboxd

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:53 pm

Nah.

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:54 pm

ur mom

| letterboxd

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:59 pm

I could agree with that to an extent. Not that their experimentation represents their best work, but certainly that it is a fascinating glimpse into the process of getting to the state they're in now (or where they ended). It's often refreshing to see a director go through a transformation of sorts rather than accept that they've always had the same static eye.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:01 pm

It's "interesting" sure, but I find most great filmmakers are most rewarding once they've found their "voice" and then usually a bit after that point as well. Not saying your above statement contradicts that necessarily, but I feel you've said in the past you generally prefer directors' early work for various reasons, maybe those same. Most of my personal favorite I find only tend to get better as they go on in many ways, sometimes even to the very end, but not always. Of course it depends on the individual always anyway.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:10 pm

yeh it varies w/ who it is but i love seeing someone w/ their voice find purer and more effortless ways of reaching that - Side Effects and To Rome With Love while neither are perfect or in danger of being my favorites are still so masterful and agile that I enjoy watching the filmmaking as much or more than the film (before that concept is criticized, what else do we mean by watching these early works where they're finding their voice?)

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:22 pm

more from today:

the great
5 fingers |mankiewicz, 1952|
a chilling spy caper in incredibly capable hands, swift in pace & allowing proceedings to flow organically through character developments.

the nearly great
what a way to go! |thompson, 1964|
absurd, bleak, lighthearted, hilarious, & tasteless... always all at once. gene's segment was absolutely ridiculous! <3
ceiling zero |hawks, 1936|
an airport drama comparable to only angels have wings, perhaps lesser, but not without plenty of merit.

the hope davis
last man on earth |ragona, 1964|
may i ask why these zombie vampires are dead yet coherent enough to speak in fully formed sentences with malice intent not only out of instinctive blood-hungriness but mainly because 'hey there's a guy who isn't dead yet'?
cabin fever 2: spring fever |west, 2009|
surprise! it was awful. how couldn't it be? i gagged, like, a lot. fist laughed, like, a lot. :(

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:54 pm

B-Side wrote:
ur mom

this

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:13 pm

All that pink.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:23 pm

Pinky Benson, more like Pinky Beston.

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:32 pm

wigwam wrote:
yeh it varies w/ who it is but i love seeing someone w/ their voice find purer and more effortless ways of reaching that - Side Effects and To Rome With Love while neither are perfect or in danger of being my favorites are still so masterful and agile that I enjoy watching the filmmaking as much or more than the film (before that concept is criticized, what else do we mean by watching these early works where they're finding their voice?)

Soderbergh is a perfect example of a chameleon filmmaker who never settles. All the way up to and including Side Effects, he never stopped tinkering with the medium and the ways in which he could imbue his work with his unique authorial voice.

Fist wrote:
It's "interesting" sure, but I find most great filmmakers are most rewarding once they've found their "voice" and then usually a bit after that point as well. Not saying your above statement contradicts that necessarily, but I feel you've said in the past you generally prefer directors' early work for various reasons, maybe those same. Most of my personal favorite I find only tend to get better as they go on in many ways, sometimes even to the very end, but not always. Of course it depends on the individual always anyway.

I prefer to begin with a director's early work as a way of framing their career as an auteurist trajectory and evolution. It does me little good to jump straight into a new filmmaker with their most famous work, which is often at least a handful of films into their career. I get no sense of where they started or how they came to be who they are/were. You can always go back after seeing these later works, but there's nothing quite like that first viewing and how it shapes your subsequent ones should you choose to view it multiple times. A truly great director will always leave you with something new to discover and appreciate, but there's nothing wrong with maximizing the pleasure one gets the first time around and using that framework for a better appreciation of their work a second or third time around.

| letterboxd

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Last Man is one of the finest vampire films ever made.

Fired.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:35 am

ribbon wrote:
more from today:

last man on earth |ragona, 1964|
may i ask why these zombie vampires are dead yet coherent enough to speak in fully formed sentences with malice intent not only out of instinctive blood-hungriness but mainly because 'hey there's a guy who isn't dead yet'?

Hmm. I see. You're asking a zombie/vampire film to make sense.

Fist, check her temperature. I think she must have a cold or something! :D

If you become rich and powerful, I hope that you will be cream rather than pond scum." --YTMN

Rematch Resurrection Catalog for Rounds 1-4 New post 180721 -- YTMN's Remake Rematch Thread.
Thread Resurrected 21 Jul 2018. Thread abandoned 1 Aug 2017. Thread COMPLETE 25 May 14 (2d time!)

The Future Unreels

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:14 am

Aren't vampires usually dead yet coherent and full of kind of impulses not related to that instinct?

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:25 am

theyre zombies but they call them vampires. i don't need it to make sense but not being the worst is preferable.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:19 am

ribbon wrote:
theyre zombies but they call them vampires. i don't need it to make sense but not being the worst is preferable.

You're free to dislike anything you want, as far as I'm concerned, and no explanation is necessary. ;)

The Future Unreels

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:23 am

ribbon wrote:
I think our modern concept of zombies as flesh-eating brainless ghouls in some state of decomposition that have risen from the grave only starts with Night of the Living Dead four years later, if that helps any.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 am

Gort wrote:
You're free to dislike anything you want, as far as I'm concerned, and no explanation is necessary. ;)

Haha, that was a half-hearted (because eating :oops: )explanation in response to both you & Kurz. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for a film like that, as Cabin Fever 2 destroyed any interest in horror right beforehand. :P

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 am

Ha! Which Lubitsch did you download?

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
I think our modern concept of zombies as flesh-eating brainless ghouls in some state of decomposition that have risen from the grave only starts with Night of the Living Dead four years later, if that helps any.

This checks with what I believe. But I think the brains as food deal came even later, because the NotLD zombies eat any human body part...livers, intestines, legs, they aren't particular.

The Future Unreels

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am

Gort wrote:
This checks with what I believe. But I think the brains as food deal came even later, because the NotLD zombies eat any human body part...livers, intestines, legs, they aren't particular.
I just said that they were brainless, not that they ate brains. :P

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 am

doubledutch wrote:

Recorded off TV during TCMs Lubitsch marathon.

That Lady in Ermine and The Merry Widow.

I watched The Loves of Pharoah which was frankly one of the best films I saw last year but only a bit survived out of the original 8 hour cut. What remained was incredible and probably the best silent film I've seen recently besides Lang's Spione.

Haven't seen the former, but love the latter. Hope you enjoy them!
We actually watched that Lang last week - such a handsome fucking film.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
I just said that they were brainless, not that they ate brains. :P

So you did. Damn painkillers.

The Future Unreels

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:42 am

doubledutch wrote:

Robert Osbourne commented that it's the grandaddy of all spy films. Hitchcock himself took a lot of his cinematic tricks from Lang. Very gorgeous film and it flys by so quick. The lead actress dated the guy who played the villain in Spies in real life.

I have the immensely long Dr. Mabuse saga to watch. That I had to download since they rarely show it on TCM. I did see The Last Testament of Dr. Mabuse but not the other ones. That was fantastic.

I have a Clement/Gabin to finish right now called The Walls of Malapaga so I gotta run. Will check in with you all another time and chat (until I'm banned again).

See, lovesexy isn't always a bad guy. :)

Ciao!

Awesome, we recently watched one of the Mabuse films as well. Very interested in seeing more, I know some are on Hulu so there's not much stopping me!

Never thought you were always a bad guy, myself. Pretty sure I've claimed this plenty of times. Keep it in mind, :P.

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:58 am

03.06.13 - 03.07.13
(no order)

casa de mi padre |piedmont, 2012|
undoubtedly ridiculous, often not in a great way. though being a sucker for will ferrell, this definitely showcased what i enjoy most about his screen presence - his off the wall comedic intuition masked behind a mainstream shell, & his dedicated veracity no matter how absurd his character may be.

comanche station |boetticher, 1960|
basically one long conversation on horseback or around the campfire, but a captivating one nonetheless, in the same general realm in which boetticher always displays his craft.

the spy in black |powell, 1939|
this was a movie. an alright one, i suppose.

oz the great & powerful |raimi, 2013|
contained every bit of Raimi's cinema that I adore - the winding, tossed around camera movements, absurd comedy, eerie personification of inanimate objects & nature (notably the wind), the raucous sound design. But best of all, the ode to the enchantment of cinematic illusion both aurally & visually. While it was every ounce a Disney film, he threw every bit of himself he could into it &, as far as I'm concerned, the opposition of his foreboding view of the story vs. Disney's lightheartedness almost compliments the film to a higher degree. Really enjoyed this one. (copied from my post in recently seen)

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Ribs, I'm reading Rohmer & Chabrol's Hitchcock book, and they highly recommend The Manxman, so let's get on that too. Also Downhill.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:04 am

i only laughed once in Casa de mi Pardre, when the guy cuts his name in cocaine lines

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:10 am

Trip wrote:
Ribs, I'm reading Rohmer & Chabrol's Hitchcock book, and they highly recommend The Manxman, so let's get on that too. Also Downhill.

Great, will do! Thanks.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:12 am

Also grabbed Blackmail, which I before only saw a bit of.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:42 am

ribbon wrote:
Also grabbed Blackmail, which I before only saw a bit of.

Ohh, it's great. Rouge hates it so you know it's good.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:44 am

wigwam wrote:
i only laughed once in Casa de mi Pardre, when the guy cuts his name in cocaine lines

Disappointing film. Couldn't seem to set a workable tone for itself. Turning into Standard Western Revenge Plot 1A in the third act didn't help matters either.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:13 am

Trip wrote:
Ohh, it's great. Rouge hates it so you know it's good.

Probably the best, even.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:10 pm

You seen Rich and Strange? Rohmer/Chabrol think it's one of the three best films of Hitch's British period! Get on that. Let us.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:19 pm

Trip wrote:
You seen Rich and Strange? Rohmer/Chabrol think it's one of the three best films of Hitch's British period! Get on that. Let us.

That's Young & Innocent's alternate title, yeah? If so, seen it. Really big fan. Those long takes <3.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:22 pm

ribbon wrote:
That's Young & Innocent's alternate title, yeah? If so, seen it. Really big fan. Those long takes <3.

It is not.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023395/

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Ha, wonder why I thought that. Excited now though! Let's. Let us. Lettuce.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:26 pm

ribbon wrote:
Lettuce.

This is why I need/love you.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:27 pm

You same twipston <5.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:30 pm

shut up

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:33 pm

OH back to this now. You same.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next