It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:41 am



Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC) 
Author Message
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
the limits of my own intellectual capacity is my lack of vision and ability to create and embrace new ideas and ways of seeing the world. I am doomed to be average unless I transform myself.

there are worse things in life than being average.

also, didn't sontag criticize intellectualism in regards to art?


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:10 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
the limits of my own intellectual capacity is my lack of vision and ability to create and embrace new ideas and ways of seeing the world. I am doomed to be average unless I transform myself.


What's more important than that is being in the right place, right time, and knowing the right people and being matched up with the right opportunity. That's often the reason why so many "superstars" are only marginally better or equal to their competitors.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:13 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

ledfloyd wrote:
there are worse things in life than being average.

also, didn't sontag criticize intellectualism in regards to art?

Sontag criticizes over-intellectualization, which is just as corrupting and alienating as the opposite. She favours the deconstruction of form, rather than -ism related evaluations and interpretations. Emotions are paramount. I recommend reading her work, it's fascinating because it is at once intensely manipulative and incredibly detached and academic.

I can think of one thing worse than being average, not having enough sex.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:14 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Eva wrote:

What's more important than that is being in the right place, right time, and knowing the right people and being matched up with the right opportunity. That's often the reason why so many "superstars" are only marginally better or equal to their competitors.

I need to find me a Francois Truffaut, because I'm not saddling myself onto that artistic path.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:15 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I need to find me a Francois Truffaut, because I'm not saddling myself onto that artistic path.


That's right. Marry a director. :D


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:16 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Eva wrote:

That's right. Marry a director. :D

I'll marry Jacques Demy so I can be Agnes Varda.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:16 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
Sontag criticizes over-intellectualization, which is just as corrupting and alienating as the opposite. She favours the deconstruction of form, rather than -ism related evaluations and interpretations. Emotions are paramount. I recommend reading her work, it's fascinating because it is at once intensely manipulative and incredibly detached and academic.

I can think of one thing worse than being average, not having enough sex.

have you seen 'it should happen to you?' perhaps my recent viewing of it is making me look favorably upon being average. and it seems like something you'd like.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:18 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

ledfloyd wrote:
have you seen 'it should happen to you?' perhaps my recent viewing of it is making me look favorably upon being average. and it seems like something you'd like.

The George Cukor film?

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:19 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
The George Cukor film?

si.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:22 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

I'm actually very happy right now, apparently I don't appear to be, or it's a confused frenzy of perceptions. I've been told by one friend I seem happier than I've ever been, in the same day, had other friends tell me that I need to find happiness or passion in my life, because I seem so dissastied and frustrated by my current situation. I don't trust my own evaluation of my feelings towards the world for the most part, I can barely place my own existence within my family, circle of friends, or school... I can't see myself. I feel happy, more or less, I suppose... if not aimless. I believe the world is a fundamentally beautiful place, and that people are inclined towards doing the right thing... but we are dominated by fear, and weaknesses that we have very little control over.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:22 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

ledfloyd wrote:
si.

non, but consider it... mine.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:22 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

There's like three ways I can see going about this. You could dedicate yourself to changing the world to be more receptive to your greatness in whatever exact film thing your dream is, but changing the world is kind of a ful time job so you'd prolly get it to where you wanted it and then have nothing left in the tank to create the masterpiece that the public is now primed and ready to accept as the defining moment of their lives. Or you might just end up getting shot by a South American hit squad, revolution is an ugly business.

Two, completely reinvent yourself into what is acceptable and popular in this world today, Whore like you've never whored before (which is quite a lot of whoring) and hope that when you do finally get to the top you can finally do what you want to do. Again, the problem is you might be so pill addled and full of self hatred by that point as to be completely useless, and even if you were to crank out "the truth", there's nothing this world likes better than tearing people down after they have finally gotten to the top of the mountain, so yeah.

Third, just do what you want to do with the means available, strive for more and better but keep a certain essential sense of self and self respect in all things, maybe the mainstream will dance to your beat someday, maybe they won't, for all intents and purposes their wants and desires and zeitgeists are out of your hands.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:28 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I'll marry Jacques Demy so I can be Agnes Varda.


My mother is in her 50s and probably took a good six years to get her literary criticism finally published in papers. I'm too risk adverse for that sort of thing.

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I'm actually very happy right now, apparently I don't appear to be, or it's a confused frenzy of perceptions. I've been told by one friend I seem happier than I've ever been, in the same day, had other friends tell me that I need to find happiness or passion in my life, because I seem so dissastied and frustrated by my current situation. I don't trust my own evaluation of my feelings towards the world for the most part, I can barely place my own existence within my family, circle of friends, or school... I can't see myself. I feel happy, more or less, I suppose... if not aimless. I believe the world is a fundamentally beautiful place, and that people are inclined towards doing the right thing... but we are dominated by fear, and weaknesses that we have very little control over.


Maybe it's your mind telling you that you need to find a solution to this aimlessness and this could your next aim?


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:30 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Evil Prevails wrote:
There's like three ways I can see going about this. You could dedicate yourself to changing the world to be more receptive to your greatness in whatever exact film thing your dream is, but changing the world is kind of a ful time job so you'd prolly get it to where you wanted it and then have nothing left in the tank to create the masterpiece that the public is now primed and ready to accept as the defining moment of their lives. Or you might just end up getting shot by a South American hit squad, revolution is an ugly business.

Two, completely reinvent yourself into what is acceptable and popular in this world today, Whore like you've never whored before (which is quite a lot of whoring) and hope that when you do finally get to the top you can finally do what you want to do. Again, the problem is you might be so pill addled and full of self hatred by that point as to be completely useless, and even if you were to crank out "the truth", there's nothing this world likes better than tearing people down after they have finally gotten to the top of the mountain, so yeah.

Third, just do what you want to do with the means available, strive for more and better but keep a certain essential sense of self and self respect in all things, maybe the mainstream will dance to your beat someday, maybe they won't, for all intents and purposes their wants and desires and zeitgeists are out of your hands.

I'm way too lazy for one.

Two is too depressing, been there, done that.

Three I like, and I'd love to do. For all intents and purposes, I have no idea what I want in any capacity.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:32 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

how does one find a solution to aimlessness, if all the solutions are so mind-numbing.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:32 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
how does one find a solution to aimlessness, if all the solutions are so mind-numbing.

i've been aimless for most of my life. i think we have too many options today. a certain kind of mind shuts down in the face of such awe-inspiring freedom.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:37 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
how does one find a solution to aimlessness, if all the solutions are so mind-numbing.


But not all of them are though! What are your values? How lazy are you? I think someone like you needs intellectual stimulation- there are plenty of choices out there that can drive people to their breaking point in this regard.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

ledfloyd wrote:
i've been aimless for most of my life. i think we have too many options today. a certain kind of mind shuts down in the face of such awe-inspiring freedom.

THere's a book about this, I learned about it on Colbert

Eva wrote:

But not all of them are though! What are your values? How lazy are you? I think someone like you needs intellectual stimulation- there are plenty of choices out there that can drive people to their breaking point in this regard.

What do you mean values? I can be incredibly lazy, but if I am truly interested in soemthing, I can devote a ridiculous amount of thought and attention. It's been years since I've been so moved though.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:54 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
What do you mean values? I can be incredibly lazy, but if I am truly interested in soemthing, I can devote a ridiculous amount of thought and attention. It's been years since I've been so moved though.


There's plenty of time for you to discover new things..eventually some things will stick or you may decide to make compromises. I have made considerable compromises in this regard..if it was not for reality I would have wanted to become a historian or something of that sort.

1. freedom from physical/menial toil? freedom from intellectual toil? Family? wide circle of friends? social status? early retirement? And how would you rate them in order of importance?

Personally, I rate #1 extremely high.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:00 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

So, Rouge, what did you think of Frailty?

_________________
If you can't read and write you can't think. Your thoughts are dispersed if you don't know how to read and write. You've got to be able to look at your thoughts on paper and discover what a fool you were." - Ray Bradbury

- Total Recall - 6
- Ted - 6
- Dexter Season 7 - 9.5
- Homeland Season 2 - 8
- Skyfall - 9


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:07 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Eva wrote:

There's plenty of time for you to discover new things..eventually some things will stick or you may decide to make compromises. I have made considerable compromises in this regard..if it was not for reality I would have wanted to become a historian or something of that sort.

1. freedom from physical/menial toil? freedom from intellectual toil? Family? wide circle of friends? social status? early retirement? And how would you rate them in order of importance?

Personally, I rate #1 extremely high.

Art and creating is the most important thing in my life, that I know. At least from the perspecitve of a career, or what I want to do physically. What kind of art, and to what extent, I don't know...

1. I don't know. My father does that kind of work, and I don't think it's very rewarding in any sense. I've never even considered it an option, though I do see the value in a "physical" career in the sense of working within the fitness world. It has very limited interest to me, but I doubt it would make me truly unhappy. I would like to have a lot of intellectual stimulation, I would never want to escape that. A wide circle of friends is unimportant as long as I have a few good ones, I like meeting new people though. Social status means nothing to me. Early retirement is only of interest if what I am doing makes me unhappy.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Bang, the Earth is Round wrote:
So, Rouge, what did you think of Frailty?

Adored it beyond compare. I wrote about it,

http://houseofmirthandmovies.wordpress. ... xton-2001/

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:10 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
Art and creating is the most important thing in my life, that I know. At least from the perspecitve of a career, or what I want to do physically. What kind of art, and to what extent, I don't know...

1. I don't know. My father does that kind of work, and I don't think it's very rewarding in any sense. I've never even considered it an option, though I do see the value in a "physical" career in the sense of working within the fitness world. It has very limited interest to me, but I doubt it would make me truly unhappy. I would like to have a lot of intellectual stimulation, I would never want to escape that. A wide circle of friends is unimportant as long as I have a few good ones, I like meeting new people though. Social status means nothing to me. Early retirement is only of interest if what I am doing makes me unhappy.

That sounds eerily similar to my boat.

_________________
The Director's Cut + Light & Sound Are Ample Food
last.fmdvdsbooksicheck
It's a Wednesday night baby, and I'm alive


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
Adored it beyond compare. I wrote about it,

http://houseofmirthandmovies.wordpress. ... xton-2001/


One of the best of the decade by far.

_________________
If you can't read and write you can't think. Your thoughts are dispersed if you don't know how to read and write. You've got to be able to look at your thoughts on paper and discover what a fool you were." - Ray Bradbury

- Total Recall - 6
- Ted - 6
- Dexter Season 7 - 9.5
- Homeland Season 2 - 8
- Skyfall - 9


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Bang, the Earth is Round wrote:

One of the best of the decade by far.

I'm happy someone agrees. I actually just rewatched it two weekends ago, still love it. Bill Paxton should make more movies. Preferably horror.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:20 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
Art and creating is the most important thing in my life, that I know. At least from the perspecitve of a career, or what I want to do physically. What kind of art, and to what extent, I don't know...

1. I don't know. My father does that kind of work, and I don't think it's very rewarding in any sense. I've never even considered it an option, though I do see the value in a "physical" career in the sense of working within the fitness world. It has very limited interest to me, but I doubt it would make me truly unhappy. I would like to have a lot of intellectual stimulation, I would never want to escape that. A wide circle of friends is unimportant as long as I have a few good ones, I like meeting new people though. Social status means nothing to me. Early retirement is only of interest if what I am doing makes me unhappy.


You spend a lot of your efforts analyzing film, right? It's all about locating and clearly identifying your particular talents from your current and past efforts, knowing what to do to further adapt/develop it, and then leveraging it towards something of your choice. I'm good at quickly absorbing large quantities of information and distilling its essence and I have physical presence. I have artistic friends who have extended their talents into relationship management/advertising/high level sales. Creativity that delivers results is most cherished in market society, not the worker bees.

I mentioned #1 because physical/menial activity is often draining. Menial activity is numbing towards the spirit and physical activity decreases one's energy reserves.

Intellectual toil is similarily draining but in a different sense-your mind is always subconsciously working and burdened so it crowds out mental energy and focus for other things. The narrow area then starts to really dominate your life.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:28 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

In order to be a nonconformist, I didn't read any of this thread.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:29 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Von Samuel wrote:
In order to be a nonconformist, I didn't read any of this thread.

fuck you

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:29 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

I don't think I'd classify religious belief as a weakness, but I think ignorance plays an enormous part in faith. Statistics show that those who are more educated tend be be less religious, even the tiniest bit of upper education leads people away from traditional religious belief. The problem with personal experience as a form of support for any argument is just that: it's personal, it isn't empirical and therefore useless to another person. It can't be adequately communicated because I cannot adequately imagine my being you. Again, I don't think belief in the divine is a sign of weakness, but an evolutionary byproduct of our social and inquisitive nature, and so understandably commonplace. In fact, one might argue that it is a strength and a weakness considering its power to persuade humans to do both the horrid and the wondrous.

Oh, and excellent analysis of the film. :up:

_________________
If you can't read and write you can't think. Your thoughts are dispersed if you don't know how to read and write. You've got to be able to look at your thoughts on paper and discover what a fool you were." - Ray Bradbury

- Total Recall - 6
- Ted - 6
- Dexter Season 7 - 9.5
- Homeland Season 2 - 8
- Skyfall - 9


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:34 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
fuck you

I didn't read this either.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:42 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

I'm confused.

_________________
“Bisogna essere molto forti per amare la solitudine.” - P.P. Pasolini

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision


Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:23 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

JediMoonShyne wrote:
I'm confused.


I'm tired.

_________________
If you can't read and write you can't think. Your thoughts are dispersed if you don't know how to read and write. You've got to be able to look at your thoughts on paper and discover what a fool you were." - Ray Bradbury

- Total Recall - 6
- Ted - 6
- Dexter Season 7 - 9.5
- Homeland Season 2 - 8
- Skyfall - 9


Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:24 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Bang, the Earth is Round wrote:

I'm tired.


I just farted.

_________________
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd


Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:25 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Brightside wrote:

I just farted.


I was just twirling my cane around in the air and bonked myself on the head. :x *Rubs head*

_________________
If you can't read and write you can't think. Your thoughts are dispersed if you don't know how to read and write. You've got to be able to look at your thoughts on paper and discover what a fool you were." - Ray Bradbury

- Total Recall - 6
- Ted - 6
- Dexter Season 7 - 9.5
- Homeland Season 2 - 8
- Skyfall - 9


Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Bang, the Earth is Round wrote:

I was just twirling my cane around in the air and bonked myself on the head. :x *Rubs head*


This is what I do.

_________________
no longer on hiatus from movies(!)

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd


Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:28 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Bang, the Earth is Round wrote:

I'm tired.

That, too.

_________________
“Bisogna essere molto forti per amare la solitudine.” - P.P. Pasolini

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision


Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:29 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Would you want to be a critic for a newspaper? I would be excited if they would review films for an audience that gives a damn, but it's rare to find a critic who dares to go beyond a tour-guide approach to criticism.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:09 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

JediMoonShyne wrote:
I'm confused.

Me too.

But then again, it might be because I just woke up, looked outside and saw no snow at all. :shock: :shock:

_________________
"I'd prostitute my talents if it would further my cause, steal if there was no way out, kill my friends or anyone else if it would help my art."
Letterboxd.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:12 pm
Profile
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
2) The Internet is the key to revolution, and will be the deciding vehicle in any radical social or intellectual movement in the next few years.


And of course for downloading porn.


Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:19 pm
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Best thread I've found on here yet :up: (EDITED A FEW HOURS LATER TO SAY: and i think i just keeled it...)

Joss Whedon wrote:
...it's rare to find a critic who dares to go beyond a tour-guide approach to criticism.


This is due to notable publications not wanting controversial critics stirring up lawsuits or honest critics unwilling to praise the schlock the publication is in cross-promotion deals with.

_________________
we told you what to dream
twitter
letterboxd
last.fm


Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:50 am
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Philosophe rouge wrote:
9) If you study Political Science, the pinnacle of your profession is to become Jon Stewart. He is the Poli-sci equivalent of Roger Ebert.


Sadly, I hadn't actually read the entire first post in this thread, and because of my laziness I missed number nine. Well, at least now I know to what I am required to aspire: Jon Stewart.

_________________
If you can't read and write you can't think. Your thoughts are dispersed if you don't know how to read and write. You've got to be able to look at your thoughts on paper and discover what a fool you were." - Ray Bradbury

- Total Recall - 6
- Ted - 6
- Dexter Season 7 - 9.5
- Homeland Season 2 - 8
- Skyfall - 9


Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:43 am
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Well, I thought about it long and hard, and this thread is now responsible for me questioning my entire existence. Thanks, you bitch.


Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:13 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Evil Prevails wrote:
Well, I thought about it long and hard, and this thread is now responsible for me questioning my entire existence. Thanks, you bitch.

srry, if it makes you feel better, Id' suck your cocks.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:39 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
 

Evil has multiple cocks?! :shock:

_________________
Recently Ogled
The Road C+
Beetlejuice D
The Ghost Writer B
Zodiac A-
Easy A B


Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re:

Birdie Num Nums wrote:
Evil has multiple cocks?! :shock:

he's more man than you'll ever be.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:51 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

I do feel somewhat better, but still, you've driven me to drink, Rouge. Me, drinking! That's on your conscience.


Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:28 am
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Evil Prevails wrote:
I do feel somewhat better, but still, you've driven me to drink, Rouge. Me, drinking! That's on your conscience.

I'll whip myself.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:23 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvSMp7T2Kes&feature=fvst

_________________
Hehhehheh, Mule


Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:30 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Scarlet Letter

Joyful reading

NOT


Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:05 pm
Profile
User avatar
Reply with quote
Post Re: The Post-Star Wars Era and Why I Can’t be Roger Ebert (TBC)

Eva wrote:
Scarlet Letter

Joyful reading

NOT

they never made me read this.

_________________
Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger


Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:06 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.