It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 46  Next
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

Here's a list off the top of my head:

The Turin Horse
Jeanne Dielman
Fat Girl
A Casa
On the Silver Globe
Syndromes and a Century
A Zed & Two Noughts
Liverpool
Trouble Every Day
Un Lac

It'll never be static, though.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:22 am
Profile WWW

Epistemophobia wrote:
Trouble Every Day

I recently watched this for the first time.

Gallo. <3

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:26 am
Profile WWW

Epistemophobia wrote:
The Turin Horse
Jeanne Dielman
Fat Girl
A Casa
On the Silver Globe
Syndromes and a Century
A Zed & Two Noughts
Liverpool
Trouble Every Day
Un Lac
I've seen 8 out of 10! :shock:

And I love 5 of the 8.

By the way, does the IMDb search bar work for anyone anymore? I just had to type "A Casa" into google search to find the IMDb page for it. :x

Isle of Dogs ▪ Eika Katappa ▪ Johnny Guitar ▪ The Devils ▪ Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told ▪ Sisters, or the Balance of Happiness ▪ The Thing ▪ Madame X: An Absolute Ruler ▪ American Ultra

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:31 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I've seen 8 out of 10! :shock:
By the way, does the IMDb search bar work for anyone anymore? I just had to type "A Casa" into google search to find the IMDb page for it. :x

A Casa shows up buried beneath 30 'popular titles'. I think it has always been like this. Google is much smarter.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:36 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
I recently watched this for the first time.

Gallo. <3

I re-watched it the other week. It makes me feel so disgusting. :heart:

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:37 am
Profile WWW

I've seen only one of those... loved it though.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:41 am

Yeah, try searching for A Casa on Karagarga.

Romanian Electronica, anyone?

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:45 am
Profile WWW

I've seen 7 off of Maiden's list and 3 of Epi's and pretty much love all of them...

*updates 'to watch' list*

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:46 am
Profile WWW

Epistemophobia wrote:
I re-watched it the other week. It makes me feel so disgusting. :heart:
The fantasy scene on the airplane was kind of hot, but after that?!? :(

Quote:
A Casa shows up buried beneath 30 'popular titles'. I think it has always been like this. Google is much smarter.
It's gotten much worse lately.

Isle of Dogs ▪ Eika Katappa ▪ Johnny Guitar ▪ The Devils ▪ Spider Baby or, the Maddest Story Ever Told ▪ Sisters, or the Balance of Happiness ▪ The Thing ▪ Madame X: An Absolute Ruler ▪ American Ultra

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:55 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Maybe you should rewatch it first?!

Of course I haven't watched nearly as much as you have, and I admit my "list" has gotten very fluid in the last year. But if I had to name the ten I love the most at the moment, it might look like sort of like this (in no order):
Love Exposure
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Days of Eclipse
Syndromes and a Century

Red Beard
Lady Vengeance
A Zed & Two Noughts
My Nights Are More Beautiful Than Your Days
Or maybe like this:
Still Walking
Transe
The Philadelphia Story
A Serious Man
In a Year with 13 Moons
The Bird People in China
Henry Fool
Beau Travail
Birds Orphans Fools
The Science of Sleep
Haha. I can't make lists anymore.

Woah, Bird People in China, there's a surprise. I think the film's lovely, but yeah, pleasantly surprised to see it on some kind of list.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:55 am

Good lists. I recently started putting together a list of my favorite films. Didn't know it would be so difficult. Just went along listing movies I love from directors I like in any given order. So many films. Need to keep adding to it, but also start parring it down. Oh well. Could maybe pick out a top 10 or so from it though :P

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 am

Hank wrote:
*updates 'to watch' list*
:)

Das wrote:
Woah, Bird People in China, there's a surprise. I think the film's lovely, but yeah, pleasantly surprised to see it on some kind of list.
:heart: Yeah, I love that one so much! It's seriously underseen I think.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:05 am

Magic Fister wrote:
Could maybe pick out a top 10 or so from it though :P
Do it!

I used to keep lists obsessively. But the more good films I see the more impossible it gets...

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:07 am

My list has basically looked like this for 2 years now.

Fallen Angels
The Long Goodbye
J'ai pas sommeil
Au hasard Balthazar
Until The End of the World
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
Don't Play With Fire
Eros + Massacre
Suspiria
Hiroshima mon amour

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:10 am

Yoshida!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:11 am

Das wrote:
J'ai pas sommeil
:heart:

I don't think my list will be static until I've seen all the movies.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:16 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
:)

:heart: Yeah, I love that one so much! It's seriously underseen I think.

Most people just tend to dismiss Miike's films outright after they see some of his more violent or weird films, but that one's pretty special, rather sweet, eccentric film.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:17 am

The Long Goodbye homage in Drive is probably the most effective moment of allusion in the film, I noticed upon rewatch. Really made me want to revisit the Altman. Is that on blu yet?

In a word, I think that, far from favoring directors’ formal inventiveness, widescreen, instead, stifles it. It is, I’m more and more persuaded, if not the only, at least the main culprit for the expressive poverty of the image today. - Eric Rohmer
Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:28 am

Das wrote:
Most people just tend to dismiss Miike's films outright after they see some of his more violent or weird films, but that one's pretty special, rather sweet, eccentric film.
Or they love his violent weird ones and this one doesn't meet their expectations.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:32 am

What homage are you referring to, Fister? I didn't notice that.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:33 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
What homage are you referring to, Fister? I didn't notice that.

The scene when Driver confront Nino on the beach at night and he runs into the breaking waves of the ocean. Even his suit looks exactly like my memory of the Altman film.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:35 am

Magic Fister wrote:
The Long Goodbye homage in Drive is probably the most effective moment of allusion in the film, I noticed upon rewatch. Really made me want to revisit the Altman. Is that on blu yet?

I don't believe so - It'd be an odd bird on blu though, one that'd need some care in updating, if some idiot removes the intentional filtering on the film, it'll be a pretty moot restoration.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:36 am

Hey, I've seen 3 films on your list, Maiden. That's suckier than I expected. The films are good, though I prefer a lot of Wes to Zissou and Unbelievable Truth to Henry Fool. Also probably Miller's to Serious Man. Unusually for me, I don't have any of those available to watch right now, but obviously going to prioritise the Sokurov, and then we'll see.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 am

MrCarmady wrote:
Hey, I've seen 3 films on your list, Maiden.
That surprises me. As Bear so kindly pointed out, it's not a very obscure list.

Quote:
...but obviously going to prioritise the Sokurov, and then we'll see.
I'm not sure what to believe anymore!
:heart:

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:38 am

I like 25% of the four films I've seen on Bear's list.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:50 am

dreiser wrote:
I like 25% of the four films I've seen on Bear's list.
:P

Fat Girl?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:05 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
:P

Fat Girl?

Jeanne Dielman

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:12 am

dreiser wrote:
Jeanne Dielman
:shock: But you like Breillat! Jeanne Dielman is a film I appreciate, but cannot love.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:16 am

Jeanne Dielman in the cinema. :heart:

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:17 am
Profile WWW

Shieldmaiden wrote:
:shock: But you like Breillat! Jeanne Dielman is a film I appreciate, but cannot love.

Same. Sometimes I feel like I'll get called out for being a philistine for holding this opinion. I really want to see other Akerman though.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:18 am
Profile WWW

I like the lists of everyone who has posted one here in the past few hours. I should prioritize the films I haven't seen.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 am
Profile WWW

Yeah, I've seen films by most of these directors, just not these ones.
I haven't seen anything off Bear's list :P

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:19 am

Other Akerman are quite different.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:21 am
Profile WWW

How would you even make a list? Or I mean to say that Miike being mentioned made me think that oh yes, of course, Gozu would make my list, but then I realised that I haven't seen it for three years or so and can't really remember as much of it as I should, and therefore putting it on any sort of list would feel like cheating the universe. Then I wept.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:21 am

Hotel Monterey!

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:22 am

Magic Fister wrote:

The scene when Driver confront Nino on the beach at night and he runs into the breaking waves of the ocean. Even his suit looks exactly like my memory of the Altman film.

Ooh, nice catch.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:24 am
Profile WWW

I've seen 6 on Bear's list, and have Turin Horse on my computer. I like all of then a great deal, aside from maybe the Zulawski, but I'm eager to revisit that one.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:24 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
But you like Breillat!

Haven't seen that one yet.

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Jeanne Dielman is a film I appreciate, but cannot love.

It was tough sledding at first. Then it sunk in where Akerman was taking me, and the last third of the picture was paid off beautifully by the long setup.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:29 am

Epistemophobia wrote:
Jeanne Dielman in the cinema. :heart:
That would make a difference, I imagine. I saw it on Netflix Instant.
Epistemophobia wrote:
Other Akerman are quite different.
Yes, and I appreciated La Captive, but didn't love it, haha.

Circus Freak wrote:
How would you even make a list? Or I mean to say that Miike being mentioned made me think that oh yes, of course, Gozu would make my list, but then I realised that I haven't seen it for three years or so and can't really remember as much of it as I should, and therefore putting it on any sort of list would feel like cheating the universe. Then I wept.
Lists are futile exercises in guesswork. But Gozu is awesome.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:33 am

Magic Fister wrote:
I like all of then a great deal, aside from maybe the Zulawski, but I'm eager to revisit that one.
That one (Silver Globe) could easily have been on my list, probably should be. You have to try it again!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:36 am

Circus Freak wrote:

I've seen everything on my list at least once in the last year, which helps.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:42 am
Profile WWW

I think I've seen 17 of the 20 in the last two years, and most of them much more recently. It's just a snapshot, afterall.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:49 am

Flight of the Red Balloon
-Three Times
-Flowers of Shanghai
In the Mood for Love
The New World
The End of Summer
Hiroshima Mon Amour
La Notte
Syndromes and a Century
The Long Day Closes
Friday Night
Taste of Cherry

Tentative top 10 I suppose, with two bonus films thrown in, since they're basically my top three all together and to close to inseparable in my mind right now to emit, which leaves room for a few more. Also nothing from the 70s quite reaches, but Jeanne Dielman is really close. So is The Passenger... or Barry Lyndon or something. Once Upon A Time in the West is another that should really be in there.

Vimeo / / / Flickr

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:55 am

Mine is much less interesting.

Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders, 1984)
Sherman's March (Ross McElwee, 1986)
Visitor of a Museum (Konstantin Lopushansky, 1989)
A Short Film About Love (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1988)
Naked (Mike Leigh, 1993)
Three Colors: Red (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1994)
Three Crowns of the Sailor (Raoul Ruiz, 1983)
Streetwise (Martin Bell, 1984)
Chinatown (Roman Polanski, 1974)
Tokyo.Sora (Hiroshi Ishikawa, 2002)

I think I might like the 1980s. Lots of stuff I've considered moving up recently, though.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 am

Magic Fister wrote:
The End of Summer
The Long Day Closes
Taste of Cherry
I really need to see these three.

elixir wrote:
Same. Sometimes I feel like I'll get called out for being a philistine for holding this opinion.
And I meant to answer this. If someone calls me a philistine, who cares? But I seriously doubt that anyone whose opinion matters to me is going to criticize me for an opinion, as long as it's not closed-minded or belligerent.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:17 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Tokyo.Sora (Hiroshi Ishikawa, 2002)
This sounds right up my alley.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:35 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
This sounds right up my alley.

In a lot of ways, it's similar to Roy Andersson's recent work, but with no sets and a distinct Japanese point of view.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
In a lot of ways, it's similar to Roy Andersson's recent work, but with no sets and a distinct Japanese point of view.
Ooh. I need to find a way to see this.

Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:04 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
For days I’ve been mulling over a fantastically strange movie from Estonia, and I’ve decided that if I wait until I fully understand it, I’ll never be able to share it here. The Temptation of St. Tony is a beautiful, funny, horrifying movie that feels sort of like a combination of Roy Andersson and David Lynch. The title character lives in a world of extreme economic disparity, surrounded by terrible people, and much closer than he’d ever realized to a scary underworld of pure evil. As he endures a series of disorienting trials, the world of the film gets crazier and crazier. Did I mention that it's beautiful? And the sound is amazing! As for what his temptation is… someone should watch it and then we can talk. So far, I’ve disagreed with everything I’ve read, which may mean I’m wrong; or, it may mean I understand guilt better than anybody else on the internet.

Is it a temptation to do bad? He's a symbol of a post-God clinging to goodness in Man and he suffers as a result, but you know how it ends. It's a terribly disturbing movie. I'm not sure I like it. I loved the first chapter, maybe more, when it was closer to Roy Andersson (or a light Tarr) sketches. When it delved into a Lynch/Grandrieux tone I actually started to lose interest, I think just because I was so enjoying the absurdity of the first few scenes that the more distressing absurdity (and even grim sincerity) that came felt disappointing. Maybe it's just that it started fleshing out the main guy's life; I found the wife and the new love interest really dull, even though by the end I saw how each figured into the narrative. Needs another viewing I think!

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:53 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: Discussion of Temptation of St. Tony

You watched it! I can’t remember all my reasoning now, but I thought he was being tempted to think he was good. The man who wants to sit in his car says, “You’re a good man.” He has sex with the girl because he’s ‘saving’ her. And there’s something the ‘priest’ says, too, that I can’t remember. It’s his weakness, because it’s easy to feel superior to the more obviously horrible people around him. (But he still kills the dog and fires the workers and cheats on his wife.) It’s a very internal kind of temptation, and he can slide into it without realizing at all. The road to hell, etc. And in the end, they have him.

I just love the way this looks and sounds. And that scene where they're all dancing drunkenly at the party? Hahaha! I had a similar reaction to the changing tone the first time I watched it, but on a rewatch it seemed inevitable. And that nightclub clings like a nightmare.

Image Image

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 46  Next