It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 47  Next
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

Trip wrote:
That Red Beard piece is kinda great.
Thanks! I was afraid it was sort of pointless, since no one here seems to feel about that one like I do.

MrCarmady wrote:
As a Kurosawa fan, I'm always glad to see you supporting this one, since no-one else seems to. Another one I must see.
What?! As a Kurosawa fan? Of course I would never advise you to neglect your studies to watch more movies, but... maybe you should neglect your friends and family. Just a little bit! :P

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:16 pm

I like how you navigate the film around your taste, if that makes sense.

I think I've told you this before, but Red Beard was one of the Kurosawas I admired. I saw most of his stuff like a decade ago so it's all kinda up in the air now.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:20 pm

Sure, it makes sense. That's how I know how great it is, since it had to work on me against my will, so to speak.

You admired it, but you were still shocked by how I high I rated it, I think. I love it unreservedly.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:27 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: A Wild Sheep Chase

The instant I entered the sheep house, all two hundred sheep turned in my direction. Half the sheep stood, the other half lay on the hay spread over their pen floors. Their eyes were an unnatural blue, looking like tiny wellsprings flowing from the sides of their faces. They shone like glass eyes which reflected light from straight on. They all stared at me. Not one budged. A few continued munching away on the grass in their mouths, but there was no other sound. A few, their heads protruding from their pens, had stopped drinking water and had frozen in place, fixing their eyes on me. They seemed to think as a group. Had my standing in the entrance momentarily interrupted their unified thinking?

It should come as no surprise that I like Haruki Murakami. Every book he’s written is filled with regret and longing and loss. Does he write about anything else? But while I’ve enjoyed many of them, I really love only A Wild Sheep Chase. The story of a man with untold regrets, a writer who doesn’t write, who has in one way or another lost everyone important to him; it's also a strange thriller involving gangsters, telepathy, and one very ominous sheep.

When I’ve had problems with Murakami before, it’s been because of the feeling that his oddball surrealism is spinning out of control. But this time, it’s balanced by an affecting and believable depiction of an old and very deep friendship. Likewise, the crazy plot right out of The Testament of Dr. Mabuse works surprisingly well when anchored by the weight of that relationship. The climax has a double logic, serving the thriller and providing catharsis. Though still all about loss and regret, it’s curiously satisfying on every level.

ImageImageImage

Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
What?! As a Kurosawa fan? Of course I would never advise you to neglect your studies to watch more movies, but... maybe you should neglect your friends and family. Just a little bit! :P

I used to be great at being an anti-social cinephile, but now I've lost that skill :(
Also, 'loss and regret' is a great unifying theme, I must say. I forget whether you've seen Once Upon a Time in America, but from my top list of films, this is the highest which fits into that category.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:03 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
Also, 'loss and regret' is a great unifying theme, I must say. I forget whether you've seen Once Upon a Time in America, but from my top list of films, this is the highest which fits into that category.
I haven't seen that! Soon.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:34 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:46 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: The Sacrifice

I have a new candidate for the most beautiful film I’ve ever seen! The Sacrifice took my breath away many
times: that pale sunlight, the wooden floors, the color changes, the reflections, the dream sequences, the fire. I’m
raving, I know... and of course it’s far more than just pretty pictures. It’s a film that seems tailor-made for my
preoccupations. Not that I sit around talking about Nietzsche or worrying about the end of the world, haha. But this
mix of despair and hope, sacrifice and gain, love and madness, faith and doubt is as mysteriously satisfying as the
mournfullest mournful nostalgia. In addition, I’m a huge fan of Chekhov, so I loved the echoes I picked up from this
crazy family. But, primarily, I think I fell in love with the ambiguity. Mystical miracle or tragic insanity – for once, I
feel no need to choose a side; both interpretations can coexist peacefully in my head. Either way, Alexander has
sacrificed everything for love of his son, and I’m filled with awe.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 pm

I agree a.k.a. I should post something but have nothing to say.

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:11 pm

I haven't seen The Sacrifice yet, but I read a beautiful little thing on Tarkovsky from Michel Chion's Audio-Visual (17).

Quote:
So sound temporalized the image: not only by the effect of added value but also quite simply by normalizing and stabilizing film projection speed. A silent film by Tarkovsky, who called his cinema "the art of sculpting in time," would not be conceivable. His long takes are animated with rhythmic quiverings, convulsions, and fleeting apparitions that, in combination with vast controlled visual rhythms and movements, form a kind of hypersensitive temporal structure. The sound cinema can therefore be called "chronographic": written in time as well as in movement.

Everything around me is evaporating. My whole life, my memories, my imagination and its contents, my personality - it's all evaporating. I continuously feel that I was someone else, that I felt something else, that I thought something else. What I'm attending here is a show with another set. And the show I'm attending is myself. Fernando Pessoa

Live. Laugh. Love. - Freddy Krueger

Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:20 am

Circus Freak wrote:
I agree a.k.a. I should post something but have nothing to say.
I'm glad you're reading.

Philosophe rouge wrote:
I haven't seen The Sacrifice yet, but I read a beautiful little thing on Tarkovsky from Michel Chion's Audio-Visual (17).
That's awesome, thanks! Sound is so important in films as it is. I never thought about the effect it had on film projection speed.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:23 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:

Derninan wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I'm glad I'm still able to recommend films to you people :P Don't let the length discourage you, BTW, it's one of these films where it only makes the experience better. Still waiting for the 6 hour version...

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:29 am

MrCarmady wrote:
I'm glad I'm still able to recommend films to you people :P
You seem to be confusing me with some other people around here. I haven't seen much at all! Books, now, are another story. :)

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:37 am

I used to be well-read once, now I've fallen way behind. I've got enough movie knowledge to coast on for a while, but wanna see so much more...

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 am
Post Maiden's Voyage: Effie Briest

Despite a healthy dose of hopeless longing and regret, Effi Briest is not quite up there with my favorite Fassbinders. Still I’m full of admiration for its beautiful, Brechtian approach to the costume drama; we’re given just enough historically accurate dress and scenery to set the tone, just enough dialogue and plot detail to set the stage, and the rest is left to our imagination. We cooperate in building climactic scenes barely sketched in through passionless narration, and, in a very literary way, our participation increases the emotional resonance. I love the layering effect of the techniques here: narration on top of dialogue; symbolism and contradiction in the sets and statuary; blinding fades to white; caustic intertitles. And, always, our expectations are thwarted, our attention caught by what we don’t see, our interpretations challenged as we go. The story skips and lunges forward, as if it were a book read many times and only picked up again to savor favorite passages.

But while I'm impressed by the literary nature of the film, I don’t mean to imply that it isn’t visually stunning. The pictures do more than their fair share of the work. I don’t think it’s exaggerating to say that every single shot is meticulously arranged to squeeze in the greatest possible amount information about the characters and their relationships. In other words, those mirror shots aren’t just fun, they’re fundamental.

Image Image

ImageImage

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:34 am

I thought that one was excellent but now I'm not sure why. But look at it!

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 am

Trip wrote:
I thought that one was excellent but now I'm not sure why. But look at it!
Yeah, it's gorgeous. Maybe this is silly to say when I haven't read the book, but I think it's a remarkable literary adaptation.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am

One can make such a remark when it's clear we register it all cinematically, I suppose!

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:49 am

Looks beautiful.

The cinematography too.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:23 am

Trip wrote:
One can make such a remark when it's clear we register it all cinematically, I suppose!
Well, there's that, yes. And, what I love about Fassbinder – one of the many things I love, I mean – is how clear it is that he loves these books (Effie Briest and Berlin Alexanderplatz) deep down. And from the little time I've spent with those books, I'd say that Effi is the truer translation of the author's tone. And that's not a criticism of his Berlin. I think that particular book shaped him and became interchangeable with him in a way that makes such criticism irrelevant, if that makes sense.

dreiser wrote:
The cinematography too.
Haha. She's stunning in this.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:25 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Haha. She's stunning in this.

:P

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 am

dreiser bone

get

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:28 am

Trip wrote:
dreiser bone

get

Heh.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:32 am

dreiser wrote:
The Weeping Meadow (Angelopoulos, 2004) 8/10
I just noticed this! :heart:

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:06 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I just noticed this! :heart:

It's my favorite Angelopoulus thus far. Supposed to be part of a trilogy, right?

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:17 pm

dreiser wrote:
It's my favorite Angelopoulus thus far. Supposed to be part of a trilogy, right?
Mine, too, by far. He only got two of them made. :(

I have The Dust of Time here to watch. I should get on that.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Mine, too, by far. He only got two of them made. :(

I have Dust of Time here to watch. I should get on that.

Bummer. The other one is in my Netflix queue.

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Hey, if anyone wants to check out the way I reorganized the link section in the original post, I'd appreciate feedback.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:53 am

Practical and aesthetically appealing. Looking at that list of directors...truly awesome. Makes me want to reread everything. :D

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:55 am

Thanks! :heart:

Would anything be gained by adding dates to the chronological lists?

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:02 am

I love the list layout. Personally don't see myself using the dates and I like how clean it is right now. Going to be easier now for me to find all your Fassbinder posts as I watch more of them :).

Podcasts: Cinema on the Road (Ep #29: CHENNAI EXPRESS et al) | They Shot Pictures (Eps #25 & 26:2013 In Review) (w/ roujin, fist & Sean) *NEW

Blog |Twitter |MUBI
Char's Cinematic Caravan | Female Gaze | We Like to Watch | Czechoslovakian New Wave | Charulata's Directors' Throwdown | Director Marathon 1: Jean Renoir

"Life affirming doesn’t mean good things happen." - James Gray

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:07 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Thanks! :heart:

Would anything be gained by adding dates to the chronological lists?

Nah, what you've done is plenty, I'd say.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:33 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Hey, if anyone wants to check out the way I reorganized the link section in the original post, I'd appreciate feedback.

Very cool. Also reminds me I could stand to organize the OP in my journal thread as well.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:11 am

charulata wrote:
I love the list layout. Personally don't see myself using the dates and I like how clean it is right now. Going to be easier now for me to find all your Fassbinder posts as I watch more of them :).
Thanks. And, ooh, Fassbinder. I can't wait till you get to Berlin Alexanderplatz!

B-Side wrote:
Very cool. Also reminds me I could stand to organize the OP in my journal thread as well.
I think you just need to update it. :P

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:20 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I think you just need to update it. :P

I totally plan to review every film in my little competition. You know, the one you didn't even participate in. :x

| letterboxd

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:26 am

B-Side wrote:
I totally plan to review every film in my little competition. You know, the one you didn't even participate in. :x
Aw. I wasn't around, and didn't even see it till you had your 10. But you have a really interesting list, and I can't wait to see what you think of The Gold Diggers. :P

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:35 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Aw. I wasn't around, and didn't even see it till you had your 10. But you have a really interesting list, and I can't wait to see what you think of The Gold Diggers. :P

I'd be more than happy to throw your rec on top of the rest. It was an arbitrary number. :P

| letterboxd

Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:36 am

The list made me realise that I had really lost track of how much stuff this thread has in it.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:01 am

It's a lot of movies, but not much writing about each one. I seem to be stuck in "book-jacket blurb" mode. Probably why LEAVES doesn't like me anymore. :(

But, hey, look! Pretty pictures!

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:15 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Maybe this is silly to say when I haven't read the book, but I think it's a remarkable literary adaptation.
Just realized I'm going about this all wrong. This is a message board, after all! Has anyone read the book and seen the movie? I'd love to hear an informed opinion. (Talking about Effie Briest here, by the way.)

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:00 am

I've heard bad things about Effi Briest the book from both people on the Internet and 'in real life', but I really wanna see the film, along with 25000 other Fassbinders.
I really like that first post.
Anyway, since I'm pretty sure I expressed my embarrassment about not having seen Otto e mezzo in here, it's pertinent to say I was recently swept away by La dolce vita, despite the gargantuan expectations I brought to the table.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:27 am

So many Fassbinders! I'll be truly sad when I run out of them.

MrCarmady wrote:
I really like that first post.
Thanks.

Quote:
Anyway, since I'm pretty sure I expressed my embarrassment about not having seen Otto e mezzo in here, it's pertinent to say I was recently swept away by La dolce vita, despite the gargantuan expectations I brought to the table.
I watched La dolce vita right after being swept away by , and maybe that was part of the problem, but it didn't have the same effect at all. Great ending, though.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:47 am

La Dolce Vita is my favorite Fellini.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:01 am

Ha, I know. I'll give it another try someday.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:25 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Ha, I know. I'll give it another try someday.

:up:

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:28 am

and La dolce vita are the same film to me, one that I know I've seen but remember so little of that my brain can't even separate it into its constituent parts.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Circus Freak wrote:
and La dolce vita are the same film to me, one that I know I've seen but remember so little of that my brain can't even separate it into its constituent parts.
Hmm. Obviously, I found them quite different, primarily in the type of humor and Fellini's affection for his characters. La dolce vita is much more cynical about humanity than .

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:02 pm

La dolce vita is indeed very cynical (it's hard to accuse it of misogyny since the characters are uniformly vacuous) but it's cynical in a poignant, even heartbreaking way, so I don't mind. And the interlude on the beach provides a wonderful respite from the vitriol spewed towards religion, media, aristocracy, and so on.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:02 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
And the interlude on the beach provides a wonderful respite from the vitriol spewed towards religion, media, aristocracy, and so on.
A respite, maybe, but it's more evidence of failure and hopelessness.

I hope you come back here after you watch , because I'd really like to talk to someone about the ending of that one.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:28 am

Can you please convince me to buy this?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 2328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 47  Next