It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 47  Next
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

MrCarmady wrote:
Can you please convince me to buy this?

That’s quite a fantastic dose of Fassbinder, at a great price. I’d buy it if I could watch PAL format. Ranked:

I’d watch Maria Braun over and over if I owned it.

Chinese Roulette is absurdly fun.

Effie Briest and Satan’s Brew – Both remarkable experiences, from opposite ends of the Fassbinder scale.

Fear Eats the Soul, Mother Kusters, and Fox and His Friends – All good, but bleak. Don’t watch them back to back!

I don’t have much to say about Fear of Fear. It’s not bad.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:35 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I’d watch Maria Braun over and over if I owned it.

QFT

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:44 am

I'm more enthusiastic about Fear of Fear.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Trip wrote:
I'm more enthusiastic about Fear of Fear.
Yeah, that was unduly harsh. I enjoyed it while I watched it.

I think I watched the whole thing under the impression that it was asking one question, and then it turned out it was asking some other question, but I was too lazy by that point to figure out what the question was.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:37 pm

I've already seen Fear Eats the Soul, but the fact that between you two, every single one of these has been endorsed makes me happy and motivated (and 25 pounds worse off). I wouldn't call it too bleak, though, it ends on a sad but hopeful note.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:11 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
I wouldn't call it too bleak, though, it ends on a sad but hopeful note.
Was it hopeful? I was too deeply depressed to notice I guess. And Fox and His Friends is worse. :P

I'm having a Fassbinder double feature this weekend: The Stationmaster's Wife and Despair.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 am

What's with all the regret, longing, sadness, melancholy, and despair? I feel like buying Shieldmaiden an ice-cream or something.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:16 am

Ha, that’s what attracts me in film. Speaking of which, I was just reading this quote from Fassbinder:

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful...it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.”

I dug deep, and it turns out I’m like a matryoshka doll of sadness, all the way to the tiniest one. I don't think ice cream would help much. :P

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:10 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Ha, that’s what attracts me in film. Speaking of which, I was just reading this quote from Fassbinder:

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful...it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.”

I dug deep, and it turns out I’m like a matryoshka doll of sadness, all the way to the tiniest one. I don't think ice cream would help much. :P

Oh!

Although I shouldn't be one to speak, obsessed as I am with depressing or disturbing music. I almost skirt away from anything that sounds remotely happy.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:16 am

I'm like that with music, too! But I hope you don't take me too seriously. I don't.

Also, it's nice having you around more lately, even though it gives me one less thing to regret. :D

Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:23 am

Wistful art is the best.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 am

MrCarmady wrote:
Wistful art is the best.
Yes... Wistful sounds almost pleasant, though. I like my regret a little more painful.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:25 am

So why do you prefer 8 1/2 to La dolce vita, then?

Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:40 am

Beau wrote:

Oh!

Although I shouldn't be one to speak, obsessed as I am with depressing or disturbing music. I almost skirt away from anything that sounds remotely happy.

I'm the opposite with music, hah.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:02 am

MrCarmady wrote:
So why do you prefer 8 1/2 to La dolce vita, then?
ends on a much sharper note of longing for the impossible. The life and love Guido regrets is infinitely more desirable than anything I saw in La dolce vita. And death (if he is dead) is sort of the ultimate case of unattainablity. :P

Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:14 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Yes... wistful sounds almost pleasant, though. I like my regret a little more painful.

Masochist!!!!

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:39 pm
Profile WWW

Shieldmaiden wrote:
ends on a much sharper note of longing for the impossible. The life and love Guido regrets is infinitely more desirable than anything I saw in La dolce vita. And death (if he is dead) is sort of the ultimate case of unattainablity. :P

I also prefer it. I find it more visually accomplished as well...I still love LDV though

Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:41 pm
Profile WWW

elixir wrote:
I also prefer it. I find it more visually accomplished as well...I still love LDV though
Yeah, is perfect. On every level, not just the mournful nostalgia, etc.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:31 pm

I can stop feeling left out now, haha. My thread finally got spammed.

Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:46 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: More Fassbinder

I’m up to twenty-three Fassbinders now, and, though I’ve featured several in this thread, it feels like a good time to pause for more
highlights. The truth is I’m more addicted than ever, and it's tempting to simply submerge myself in his crazy universe. Who needs other
movies when Fassbinder made everything, including costume drama and sci-fi? I may not fully understand why his films have such a hold
on me, but I know I have absolute confidence in his fevered brain. Has anyone ever made as much greatness in such a short period of time as he did 1978-80? Despair, 13 Moons, Maria Braun, Third Generation and 15½ hours of Berlin Alexanderplatz; all so fantastic!

Image Image

Chinese Roulette isn't a recent discovery, but I needed to rewatch it before I could describe it. The first time I was overwhelmed by the style and crazy comedy, and that's certainly a big part of what I love about this one. Gabriel, the plagiarizing, eavesdropping theologian/servant, is a fantastic character, a constant source of black-comic dissonance. And the climactic parlor game with its absurd amounts of hostility and suspense is always fun to watch. But this time I was struck more by the sadness consuming every character. Their shared histories may be unexplained, but the emotional baggage is plain for everyone to see – the regret, hate, anger, and, perhaps, even love.

Image Image

The Stationmaster’s Wife is such a pretty film, and it starts off so sweetly: newlyweds in love, in a beautiful house with lots of murals and mirrors… What more could anyone want? Even as it became obvious that they were real human beings with some rather big flaws, I was totally unprepared for what would follow. “They still have each other,” I thought. “Everything can be worked out, forgiven, discussed, at least, like civilized people.” But 'flaws' become betrayals, people turn out to be vicious, actions are tragically irreversible. And that ending is one of the saddest I’ve ever seen.

Image Image

Why did no one tell me that Fassbinder made a film starring Dirk Bogarde and adapted by Tom Stoppard from a Nabokov novel?! I had to find it for myself, after all this time – time that could have been better spent watching and re-watching Bogarde plotting murder in ridiculous pajamas, mmm! Despair is a comedy that’s almost as broad as Satan’s Brew, but with a much more serious, political edge. It has a terrific, over-the-top performance by Bogarde and plenty of other pleasures as well. It looks scrumptious, like the candy they’re always eating, and, with the pastel colors and plentiful nudity, it’s impossible not to be reminded of Greenaway. Plus I love all the little games played on the theme of perception and mis-identification: the movie with the twins, the insurance salesman who looks like Freud, the worker mistaken for an actor, the employee with the same name as the Chancellor, the mis-remembered painting, the merged reflections. It’s the best blind-buy I’ve made in forever!

ImageImage

Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 am

Maiden, have you seen Only Yesterday? I just watched it, was bowed over, and it certainly fits the painful regret stuff you like so much.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 am

Heh, Bogarde is really fun to watch in that one.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:31 am

Derninan wrote:
Heh, Bogarde is really fun to watch in everything.

Fixed.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 am

MrCarmady wrote:
Maiden, have you seen Only Yesterday? I just watched it, was bowed over, and it certainly fits the painful regret stuff you like so much.
It's been on my 'list' for a long time. I'll try to get a hold of it.

Derninan wrote:
Heh, Bogarde is really fun to watch in that one.
What MrCarmady said. Bogarde is the best. :heart:

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:34 am

Maiden: choose my next Fass for me, bitte.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:19 am

dreiser wrote:
Maiden: choose my next Fass for me, bitte.
What have you seen? (I know Maria Braun, Berlin, and Herr R.)

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:40 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
What have you seen? (I know Maria Braun, Berlin, and Herr R.)

Seen these:

Veronika Voss
Lola
Marriage of Maria Braun
Berlin Alexanderplatz
Why Does Herr R. Run Amok?
The Bitter Tears of Petra Von Kant
Love Is Colder Than Death

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:13 pm

For you, Effi Briest definitely. But I don't know if you have access. I think you'd like The Stationmaster's Wife also.

How crazy do you like your comedy?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
For you, Effi Briest definitely. But I don't know if you have access. I think you'd like The Stationmaster's Wife also.

How crazy do you like your comedy?

A crazy comedy that I love would be Ace Ventura: Pet Detective. A crazy comedy that I hate would be Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me. Does that give you some parameters to work with?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:33 pm

But what about Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Derninan wrote:
But what about Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls?

It had some good gags, but it doesn't touch the first for consistency. Plus they went way over the top with the gross factor.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:40 pm

ban dreisenan

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:43 pm

I prefer When Nature Calls, myself.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:44 pm

dreiser wrote:
Does that give you some parameters to work with?
I haven't seen either one! Forget comedy then, haha. My best guess (from Netflix) is In a Year with 13 Moons.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Derninan wrote:
ban dreisenan

ribbon wrote:
I prefer When Nature Calls, myself.

Die.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:48 pm

dreiser wrote:

Die.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:53 pm

"... and a clean pair of shorts."

In a Year with 13 Moons is in my queue, Frau Maiden.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:59 pm

dreiser wrote:
In a Year with 13 Moons is in my queue, Frau Maiden.
Ooh! Another risky recommendation. :) But this one's my favorite, so it's worth it.

Just remember, I wanted to recommend Effi.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:15 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
For you, Effi Briest definitely.

Oh man, he will loathe it :D

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:21 pm

I've seen no Fassbinder. :)

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Trip wrote:
Oh man, he will loathe it :D
He can't watch it, anyway. But, why? It's a beautiful performance by Schygulla.

Hey, have you seen Lili Marleen? It's so... strange. And un-Fassbinder-like. The way it jumps from scene to scene with a heavy-handed score reminds me of Zulawski, and the weird, low-budget montage of war footage reminds me of Sokurov. And yet, none of it in a good way! Plus it has the worst subtitles I've ever seen. "Let's eat. I'm dying of hungry."

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
"Let's eat. I'm dying of hungry."

Worst...or best subtitles?

I have not. I have heard that it is lesser Fass, which you've further confirmed.

As for Dreiser...Effi is just too arch, laborious.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Trip wrote:
Worst...or best subtitles?
Ha. "So they haven’t refrained form using one of the most famous and loved German singer for one of there lie campaigns."

Quote:
As for Dreiser...Effi is just too arch, laborious.
But it's lovely, and literary, and melodramatic around the edges. Oh, well. We'd need him to see it to find out who's right.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:53 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Ha. "So they haven’t refrained form using one of the most famous and loved German singer for one of there lie campaigns.

Lie campaigns! It's the cutest.

Quote:
But it's lovely, and literary, and melodramatic around the edges. Oh, well. We'd need him to see it to find out who is right.

Haha, now I want to know what he makes of it!

I'm basing this on his extreme distaste for Hou's Flowers of Shanghai, among other films.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:55 pm

"Among other films" is like 99% of Trip's favorite movies.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 pm

haha

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Beau wrote:
I've seen no Fassbinder. :)
How did I miss this last night?

No Fassbinder!?! I must not be very persuasive. :(

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:20 pm

I've seen some Fassbinder, but not for a while. I must conclude from this that you are unconsciously dissuasive.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
How did I miss this last night?

No Fassbinder!?! I must not be very persuasive. :(

I've been not watching Fassbinder long before you came along, Shield. :P

Should get to him eventually.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:38 pm

Beau would adore Fassbinder. Frankly blows my mind he's not seen any yet.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 2328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 47  Next