It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 47  Next
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

Circus Freak wrote:
I must conclude from this that you are unconsciously dissuasive.
Haha! That explains a lot, actually.

Like why I can't persuade Beau to call me Maiden when everyone else does. :P

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:55 am

Shield has a stronger, more bellicose sound to it, but at the same time seems to suggest protectiveness, nurture. "Shield, protecting us from bad films and worse discussion through enlightened forum habits." Maiden, by comparison, is too medieval and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio for my liking. And I don't mean her character in The Abyss.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:08 am

Beau wrote:
Shield has a stronger, more bellicose sound to it, but at the same time seems to suggest protectiveness, nurture.
Has any string of qualities ever sounded less like me, though? I admit Shieldmaiden's a silly name, but I'm stuck with it, and I've grown to like "Maiden" because people here call me that.

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:15 am

"I've stuck with it" would be more appropriate, considering the history of name changes around these parts.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:44 am

MrCarmady wrote:
"I've stuck with it" would be more appropriate, considering the history of name changes around these parts.
True. I have no desire to change it in any case. It's part of me now... part of the whole dissuasive persona. :)

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:02 am

I don't find Shield/Maiden/Shieldmaiden to be dissuasive at all. The contrary, actually. I wish she watched movies I actually felt I could discuss at any length. :P

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:03 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Has any string of qualities ever sounded less like me, though? I admit Shieldmaiden's a silly name, but I'm stuck with it, and I've grown to like "Maiden" because people here call me that.

Shieldmaiden is not a silly name! :x

I will call you Maiden from now on. That last thing I wrote was really me trying to have fun justifying why I would call you Shield. Truth is there was no thought process involved in the selection.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:03 am

Beau, :heart:

B-Side wrote:
I wish she watched movies I actually felt I could discuss at any length. :P
I wish I did, too. That's the whole reason I'm here – to discuss! What should I watch?

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:13 am

Speaking of discussion, Beau, did you like Enter the Void?

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:14 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
What should I watch?

Close-Up!

| letterboxd

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:19 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:

Wasn't able to catch it, in the end. :(

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:38 am

B-Side wrote:
Close-Up!
OK! I should have it Friday.

Beau wrote:
Wasn't able to catch it, in the end. :(
Aw. I watched it at home, though, and it was still amazing.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:54 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
OK! I should have it Friday.

:P

I hope I remember enough details to have a decent discussion about it. :oops:

| letterboxd

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:48 am

Beau wrote:
"Among other films" is like 99% of Trip's favorite movies.

:P

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:04 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:

That was my #1 for 2010.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 am

dreiser wrote:
That was my #1 for 2010.
I guess it was mine, too, though I haven't been making lists lately. I watched it twice, back-to-back. It was an unforgettable experience, and a lot more life-affirming than I expected.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:26 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I guess it was mine, too, though I haven't been making lists lately. I watched it twice, back-to-back. It was an unforgettable experience, and a lot more life-affirming than I expected.

And all the beautiful visuals... good enough to eat. So many memorable scenes.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:52 am

Hey Shield.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Don't you start again. :P

Hey, did the super-fast Korean internet crash? Bear hasn't posted in weeks. :(

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Haven't heard from him.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:22 pm

It's not the same here without him.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:25 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: Faust

Image Image

At long last, Faust! After the lackluster Alexandra, I almost didn’t dare to hope that this one would compare to my favorites by him, but I needn’t have worried. With CGI, puppetry, and some convincing makeup, this is big-budget Sokurov; a gorgeous, idiosyncratic fairy-tale that somehow manages to feel in tune with his previous work. It combines the squalor and desperation of The Second Circle, the ridiculous evil of Moloch, and the warmth and energy of Days of Eclipse, with a sort of muscular momentum I’ve never seen in his films before. And if it doesn't tug at my heartstrings like Eclipse, it's still satisfyingly dense and crazy. And, did I mention, gorgeous? It has the changing color filters and skewed, impressionistic pictures I’m used to, but with rich, muted colors that glow like a Pedro Costa film. It's a fascinating adaptation, very much Sokurov's own, but packed with allusions to the things left out, and enhanced by the best devil on film since Zulawski’s Diabel!

< Back | Next >

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:13 am

so gewd

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:15 am

Trip wrote:
so gewd
Yes! :)

Hey, how was the sound when you watched it? Instead of the overwhelming sound I expected, this was rather quiet, with only traces of the crazy aural collage I love.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:05 pm

Umm, I forget! It was typically at a remove from the images, for the dubbing. I'd like to go back and listen.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:08 pm

I think maybe there was just something wrong with my sound. It was way too quiet.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Well, mine wasn't quiet.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 pm
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage: Faust

Shieldmaiden wrote:
enhanced by the best devil on film since Zulawski’s Diabel.

YES! Man, I loved that devil.

Glad it didn't disappoint you. I've been eagerly anticipating this review.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:18 pm
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage: Faust

Derninan wrote:
YES! Man, I loved that devil.
Yeah, he was comic and disconcertingly evil at the same time. Really perfect. And how about that homunculus?!

I'm glad I had no idea what to expect. It was a series of delightful surprises. I really need this on DVD.

Quote:
Glad it didn't disappoint you. I've been eagerly anticipating this review.
:heart:

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:56 pm

The optimal length for a post about a film I haven't seen. Kind of like a teaser trailer. And you're using Pedro Costa as a comparison point now? That trip to Abyssinia was a fruitful one indeed. I just watched that other Costa film as well, so this is one of those paranoid's coincidences.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:14 am

I'll watch that this weekend.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:23 am
Profile WWW

Epistemophobia wrote:
I'll watch that this weekend.
Ooh, great! I was wondering if you'd seen it yet.

Circus Freak wrote:
The optimal length for a post about a film I haven't seen. Kind of like a teaser trailer.
:)

The colors... no, the lighting was sometimes strongly reminiscent of Costa. Just look at those bottom two pictures. Can you see it?

What did you think of Colossal Youth? It's certainly strange, but I ended up kind of loving it for its poetry – the beautiful repetition of language, of images, of ideas.

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:49 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
The colors... no, the lighting was sometimes strongly reminiscent of Costa. Just look at those bottom two pictures. Can you see it?

What did you think of Colossal Youth? It's certainly strange, but I ended up kind of loving it for its poetry – the beautiful repetition of language, of images, of ideas.

I can definitely see it in the last one. I really liked Colossal Youth, although I wouldn't know quite what to say beyond that. It's the sort of film I would have found incredibly boring a few years ago, or that I would have tried to convince myself was more interesting than it actually is, but now I don't need to. I appreciate the cinematic power of monotony.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:16 am

Circus Freak wrote:
It's the sort of film I would have found incredibly boring a few years ago, or that I would have tried to convince myself was more interesting than it actually is, but now I don't need to. I appreciate the cinematic power of monotony.
But you still call it monotony, haha. I know what you mean, though, and feel the same. Still, I'm not sure I would have appreciated Colossal Youth if it had been my first Costa. Watching them in order helped a lot.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:24 am

It was my first Costa and I inexplicably got into its groove. I almost never admire the first film I see by a distinctive director.

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Trip wrote:
It was my first Costa and I inexplicably got into its groove. I almost never admire the first film I see by a distinctive director.
How many have you seen now? I was pretty baffled by it at first, but it aged well. That letter he composes to his wife was beautiful. And once I figured out that it couldn't be "understood," that it was more about archetypes, and rhythms, and yearning for the irretrievably lost – I loved it. Plus, visually, it was always interesting, and sometimes truly beautiful:

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:31 am

Did you watch House of Pleasures again, Maiden?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:57 am

dreiser wrote:
Did you watch House of Pleasures again, Maiden?
Not yet. It's second in my Netflix queue. I'll definitely try to write something here when I do.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:59 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Not yet. It's second in my Netflix queue. I'll definitely try to write something here when I do.

Cool.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:04 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
How many have you seen now? I was pretty baffled by it at first, but it aged well. That letter he composes to his wife was beautiful. And once I figured out that it couldn't be "understood," that it was more about archetypes, and rhythms, and yearning for the irretrievably lost – I loved it. Plus, visually, it was always interesting, and sometimes truly beautiful:

About that letter, it's first heard in another Costa...I believe Casa de Lava. Connections! I still have to see In Vanda's Room. Seen 5 films and the Change Rien short.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:30 am

Trip wrote:
About that letter, it's first heard in another Costa...I believe Casa de Lava. Connections!
Whoa. That one just shot up to the top of my "list."

Vanda's the hardest one to watch, I think, since it's the least fictional. It's good though.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:38 am

The Ne Change Rien film is probably the least fictional :P
It's also a tough watch but really rewarding.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:42 am

Trip wrote:
The Ne Change Rien film is probably the least fictional :P
It's also a tough watch but really rewarding.
Oh, well, yeah. I meant, of the ones I've seen. Ne change rien's on the list, too.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:46 am

LIES

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:47 am

Trip wrote:
LIES
Ha. You made me doubt myself. But it's there. In the queue. I'm honest to a fault.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:51 am

I'm sure Sokurov's Faust was actually made in the 80s and the release delayed until now. Lovely madness captured by a gently floating camera wearing soft, glowing muted colours. Gorgeous. I want to see it in 3D.

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:24 pm
Profile WWW

Epistemophobia wrote:
I want to see it in 3D.
Ha. Me, too. I’d pay anything!

Tell me what you meant by your first comment. Are you talking about the 80s in general, or Sokurov’s 80s films? Because, aesthetically, this feels different from his other films to me, and it’s not just the colors. (Or, maybe it is.) Has he ever made anything as beautiful?!

Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:17 am

I see it more like the kind of films that Zulawski, Has, Szulkin, etc, used to make. Calmly disorientating. There's dialogue everywhere, minimal cutting, a spinning camera, constant momentum, and idea overflow.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:06 am
Profile WWW

Trip wrote:

It's Colossal Youth, though...

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:26 am

Epistemophobia wrote:
I see it more like the kind of films that Zulawski, Has, Szulkin, etc, used to make. Calmly disorientating. There's dialogue everywhere, minimal cutting, a spinning camera, constant momentum, and idea overflow.
Ah. I love the eighties, including many that don't fit that mold. But obviously I have a lot yet to see... (Has?)

Beau wrote:
It's Colossal Youth, though...
:heart:

I'm still pretty sure I wouldn't have "gotten it" if I hadn't approached it through the Fontainhas trilogy.

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 2328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 47  Next