It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 2291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 46  Next
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Genealogies of a Crime

I really need to prioritize this one.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Tue May 29, 2012 12:28 pm

dreiser wrote:
I really need to prioritize this one.
Yes! If you do, I'll rewatch it so we can talk.

Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Thu May 31, 2012 5:47 am
Post Maiden's Voyage: Casa de Lava

Image Image

Finally, proof that I don’t need to understand a film to love it! Casa de Lava is bursting with things to love: mysterious faces, music,
    mountains, glowing colors, rooms like paintings, laughter and life. But when I say I don’t understand, I mean it. I'm not even sure what
    it is I don’t understand. The lives on the island are complicated. People dredge up years of entanglements, resentments, and love with
    every remark. Impetuous Mariana arrives and thinks she knows what’s going on. Bassoe says, “You ate our food, you drank our wine.
    Maybe it turned your head.” But, by the end it’s clear, even to her, that she’s out of her depth. The men do what they like, when
    they like. The women are just as mysterious and unknowable as in the first enigmatic shots of the film. Maybe truly knowing another
    person is an unattainable fantasy. We can only see the places where the lava breaks the surface. One thing I do know, though: I did
    not want this movie to end.

Image Image

Note:
Love Costa? See my conversation with Circus Freak in the Abyss II thread, starting here!

Incredibles 2 ▪ Young Frankenstein ▪ The Lair of the White Worm ▪ The Blob ▪ A Quiet Place ▪ King Kong (1933) ▪ Atomic Blonde ▪ Raw ▪ Rampage ▪ Detroit ▪ Before I Fall ▪ The Levelling ▪ A United Kingdom

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Bookshelf

Thu May 31, 2012 5:47 am

It's a beautiful experience to view a film that you don't fully understand, yet still love. It says a lot about the strengths of the medium.

That's one Costa I've really wanted to see. I think I'm more interested in his early work than his later digital work.

Thu May 31, 2012 6:31 am

I'm surprised it took you this long to obtain such proof.

That looks like Costa, but not as I know it (him).

Thu May 31, 2012 7:04 am

Circus Freak wrote:
I'm surprised it took you this long to obtain such proof.
Well, I didn't mean that I always understand everything, or even that I hate what I don't understand. But, normally, if a film is completely baffling, I have to wrestle with it for a while until I can find an angle of approach that lets me feel like I might get there someday. I need a certain level of comfort to love something. Does that make sense? The plot of this one is completely inscrutable, though, and I don't care!

Quote:
That looks like Costa, but not as I know it (him).
It actually looks quite a bit like Ossos, but with volcanoes.

EDITED to add links to the Abyss II discussions Circus Freak and I had about Costa:

Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Yes! If you do, I'll rewatch it so we can talk.

Next couple of days.

Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 am

Haha, I didnt understand most of it either. I actually think it's his most difficult movie. I can't say I was too enthralled by it otherwise, as you were, though :(

Thu May 31, 2012 12:01 pm

dreiser wrote:
Next couple of days.
:heart:

I should have it Friday.

Trip wrote:
Haha, I didnt understand most of it either. I actually think it's his most difficult movie. I can't say I was too enthralled by it otherwise, as you were, though :(
I'm sure we're not supposed to understand. I mean, there are enormous pieces missing from the picture. But, the atmosphere was totally beguiling! There's some really funny stuff, too, like the kid who kept saying, "The dead man tried to kill me," and nobody seemed to know what he was talking about. :D

Thu May 31, 2012 12:15 pm

I thought more people around here had seen Casa de Lava. Can anyone weigh in? Am I missing something, or is it all about mood?

Also, I've seen the word "ominous" used, but to me, it felt strangely comfortable, like being handed a pair of shoes by a stranger and finding out that they're a perfect fit. :)

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:49 am

Did you search for Jedi's WCFII? He watched/reviewed it.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:53 am

Trip wrote:
Did you search for Jedi's WCFII? He watched/reviewed it.
I did. And I'm pretty sure that discussion is what put it on my list in the first place. Of course, Netflix didn't have it, so that's where it stayed. He mentions the "foreboding" atmosphere, too, which is sort of mystifying to me. Maybe you need to have seen the Tourneur to feel that?

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:38 am

Yeah.

Need to see a few more Costas.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:42 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Need to see a few more Costas.
Is that the only one you've seen?! At the moment, I might rank them like this

Casa de Lava
Colossal Youth
O Sangue
Ossos
In Vanda's Room

but, really, those top four are pretty interchangeable.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:53 am

I bet you still hear Vanda's coughing in your nightmares.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:35 am

Circus Freak wrote:
I bet you still hear Vanda's coughing in your nightmares.
Haha, pretty much. You need to see Casa de Lava!

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:41 am

really anxious to get into Costa.

almost arthouse

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:08 am
Profile WWW

pint of plain wrote:
really anxious to get into Costa.
Yeah, I thought you were going to watch the Fontainhas trilogy. Of course, O Sangue is a great place to start, too, as long as you know he's going to change pretty drastically. I like how Casa de Lava fits precisely halfway between O Sangue and Ossos, aesthetically and narratively. The jump between those two was sort of disconcerting when I watched them back-to-back. I'm rambling here, but I think what I'm trying to say is, watch them all in order.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:40 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Is that the only one you've seen?!

Nooo. I've seen Ossos, O Sangue and Casa de Lava.

Should really get to the rest, I suppose.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:10 am
Profile WWW

JediMoonShyne wrote:
Should really get to the rest, I suppose.
You don't sound too enthusiastic. :-/

Has anyone seen Where Does Your Hidden Smile Lie?

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:26 am

Genealogies of a Crime (Ruiz, 1997)

I was a bit sidetracked while watching this last night as the neighbor girl got caught locked outside without her security key. She needed to track through my apartment to get to the parking garage. Took me quite a while to get back into the movie afterward.

I'll hold my tongue until Maiden watches it.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:35 am

dreiser wrote:
Yook me quite a while to get back into the movie afterward.
I can understand that. It does take a while to get on its weird wavelength. I was on it all the way, though, up until the campy De Palma-like ending. That’s where I got off last time, too. I love it so much up till then, though. The dialogue is really fantastic. It’s a comedy of ideas – the rival psychological associations, the ‘narrative syndrome’ guy, her mother’s Freudian dream, her ex-husband’s book. For a film inspired by true events, it’s a stroke of genius to invent the universal narrative psychology to “explain” that she was acting out the original story. All the narrative games just tickled my fancy; I can’t help but love them. And, holy shit, the game of games, “I’ll be you and you be me.” So crazy. Also, I'd be happy to watch Mathieu Almaric and Melvil Poupaud read the phone book, so there's that, too.

I remember I got confused the first time by the switch between the diary narration and the present day. When the narrative syndrome guy shows up the second time, it was really disconcerting, like watching something in a mirror without realizing everything's backwards.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:16 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I can understand that. It does take a while to get on its weird wavelength. I was on it all the way, though, up until the campy DePalma-like ending. That’s where I got off last time, too. I love it so much up till then, though. The dialogue is really fantastic. It’s a comedy of ideas – the rival psychological associations, the ‘narrative syndrome’ guy, her mother’s Freudian dream dream, her ex-husband’s book. For a film inspired by true events, it’s kind of genius to invent the universal narrative psychology to “explain” that she was acting out the original story. All the narrative games just tickled my fancy; I can’t help but love them. And, holy shit, the game of games, “I’ll be you and you be me.” So crazy. Also, I'd be happy to watch Mathieu Almarac and Melvil Poupaud read the phone book, so there's that, too.

I remember I got confused the first time by the switch between the diary narration and the present day. When the narrative syndrome guy shows up the second time, it was really disconcerting, like watching something in a mirror without realizing everything's backwards.

I actually liked how the ending was foreshadowed at the opening by the old Chinese tale of a ghost seeking revenge on her killer. The recurring visual of the Gomoku game board lost me a little bit. Love to see Deneuve in a dual role as well. Agree with all the flourishes you liked.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:31 am

haha almarac

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:39 am

dreiser wrote:
I actually liked how the ending was foreshadowed at the opening by the old Chinese tale of a ghost seeking revenge on her killer. The recurring visual of the Gomoku game board lost me a little bit. Love to see Deneuve in a dual role as well. Agree with all the flourishes you liked.
Oh, good, you did like it then? Yes, I appreciated that she conformed to her narrative pattern. It was necessary; I just didn't like the way it looked, I guess. Speaking of which, I know there's a lot going on visually here that I missed, since I was focused on the dialogue. I'd have to watch it yet again to catch all that. I did notice that it's a very pretty movie, at least.

Image Image

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:46 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Speaking of which, I know there's a lot going on visually here that I missed, since I was focused on the dialogue. I'd have to watch it yet again to catch all that. I did notice that it's a very pretty movie, at least.

I loved the first time they show that window separating the two rooms when it had fish swimming in it over Deneuve's image (I think?). Also, Ruiz's films always look hazy to me, as if he has a hot cup of coffee sitting right below the camera lense. Gives it the dreamlike quality he obviously goes for.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:59 am

MrCarmady wrote:
haha almarac
Have you seen the movie, MrSmardypants? :P

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:00 pm

no, which is exactly why i had to assume the role of the smartarse :P it's on MUBI, though, and i've been toying with the idea of subscribing recently

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:02 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
haha almarac

Worst Bond villain ever, but he's all right in other pictures.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:07 pm

dreiser wrote:
I loved the first time they show that window separating the two rooms when it had fish swimming in it over Deneuve's image (I think?). Also, Ruiz's films always look hazy to me, as if he has a hot cup of coffee sitting right below the camera lense. Gives it the dreamlike quality he obviously goes for.
This one was remarkably crisp for him, although I think the flashback/diary part was deliberately different.

Image Image

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:11 pm

MrCarmady wrote:
it's on MUBI, though, and i've been toying with the idea of subscribing recently
No excuses, then. Watch it. It's fun.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
This one was remarkably crisp for him, although I think the flashback/diary part was deliberately different.

I see what you're saying about the contrast. There's so much flashback in the film, I somehow couldn't make the distinction upon reflection.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:15 pm

dreiser wrote:

Worst Bond villain ever

not even close

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:19 pm

dreiser wrote:
I see what you're saying about the contrast. There's so much flashback in the film, I somehow couldn't make the distinction upon reflection.
Ha, I only noticed when I was trying to get screencaps. I told you, I wasn't paying attention to the pictures.

About the go board, it was a good visual metaphor for how complicated the plot was getting. I don't think he could possibly have crammed one more plot angle into the run-time! I like overstuffed movies, though!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:23 pm

Genealogies of a Crime is wonderful. All of your criticisms are wrong.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:24 pm

B-Side wrote:
Genealogies of a Crime is wonderful. All of your criticisms are wrong.
What did I criticize? I love it!

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
What did I criticize? I love it!

I don't know! I just wanted to get that out of the way in case you guys were down on it. :P

| letterboxd

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:26 pm

B-Side wrote:
I don't know! I just wanted to get that out of the way in case you guys were down on it. :P
Reading is a valuable skill. :)

Actually, I did say I didn't like the murder at the end, where she turns into a different actress, wearing different clothes. I guess that must be some sort of homage, but since I don't watch horror movies I don't know what it refers to.

But, really, I love this movie. It was even better the second time.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
About the go board, it was good visual reminder of how complicated the plot was getting. I don't think he could possibly have crammed one more angle into the runtime. I like overstuffed movies, though!

I like that take.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Reading is a valuable skill. :)

Don't you condescend to me, woman.

Quote:
Actually, I did say I didn't like the murder at the end, where she turns into a different actress, wearing different clothes. I guess that must be some sort of homage, but since I don't watch horror movies I don't know what it refers to.

But, really, I love this movie. It was even better the second time.

Ah, been forever since I've seen it, otherwise I'd tell you why you're wrong to dislike it. :P

But seriously, I'm glad you loved it.

| letterboxd

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:37 pm

I'm making a film that's gonna be in Portuguese, despite me being from Chile and not knowing Portuguese.

Le pompier des Folies Bergères (28) (Unknown) The surrealistic equivalent of a cold shower.
Slaughterhouse-Five (72) (Hill) Life is but a fragmented, Tralfmadore non-chronological hop-scotch skip dance.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:46 pm

B-Side wrote:
But seriously, I'm glad you loved it.

But now I'm really curious. Can anyone tell me what movie he might be referring to when she briefly turns into another actress (during the stabbing scene)? Spoilering, because it's really ugly. :P

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:49 pm

lwilson85 wrote:
I'm making a film that's gonna be in Portuguese, despite me being from Chile and not knowing Portuguese.
Then it's sure to be great. :P

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:

But now I'm really curious. Can anyone tell me what movie he might be referring to when she briefly turns into another actress (during the stabbing scene)? Spoilering, because it's really ugly. :P

Could be a reference to Dressed to Kill, perhaps?

| letterboxd

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:57 pm

B-Side wrote:
Could be a reference to Dressed to Kill, perhaps?
Shieldmaiden wrote:
De Palma-like

Are you trying to make me look smarter than I am, or something?

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Are you trying to make me look smarter than I am, or something?

:P

Ruiz was a huge fan of doubles and mirrors and doppelgangers, so the occasion of an identity change isn't uncommon in his oeuvre.

| letterboxd

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:09 pm

B-Side wrote:
Ruiz was a huge fan of doubles and mirrors and doppelgangers, so the occasion of an identity change isn't uncommon in his oeuvre.

He was also a fan of Chilean women. I can't say he was sub-par there either.

Le pompier des Folies Bergères (28) (Unknown) The surrealistic equivalent of a cold shower.
Slaughterhouse-Five (72) (Hill) Life is but a fragmented, Tralfmadore non-chronological hop-scotch skip dance.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:15 pm

lwilson85 wrote:
He was also a fan of Chilean women. I can't say he was sub-par there either.

Have you seen any of his wife's films? I'm curious if they're any good.

| letterboxd

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:15 pm

B-Side wrote:

No sadly. I don't think any I've seen have any subs and my Spanish is pretty limited.

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:27 pm

lwilson85 wrote:
No sadly. I don't think any I've seen have any subs and my Spanish is pretty limited.

Yeah, none of the films of hers on KG have subs. Very disappointing.

| letterboxd

Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 46  Next