It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 48  Next
 Maiden's Voyage 
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage

elephant

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:16 pm
Profile WWW

some other men

light

trees

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:17 pm

You're both wrong.

Color.

Sorry to Bother You ▪ The Hudsucker Proxy ▪ The Boy Friend ▪ The Fearless Vampire Killers ▪ Mahler ▪ Zama ▪ Delores Claiborne ▪ The Ladykillers ▪ The Rider ▪ Annihilation ▪ At Eternity's Gate ▪ The Favourite ▪ Western

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:23 pm

Some pretty colors in that one.

Like Someone in Love (Kiarostami, 2012) 4/10
Killing Them Softly (Dominik, 2012) 2/10
The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm (Pal/Levin, 1962) 6/10
The Dark Past (Mate', 1948) 7/10
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara, 1998) 3/10

Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm guessing I'm the last person around here to finally see this? I have a question related to the final bit. It called to mind a story I can only hazily remember in which a man being ferried somewhere is tricked or trapped into being the ferry man. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Also, the most mysteriously horrifying moment:

Sorry to Bother You ▪ The Hudsucker Proxy ▪ The Boy Friend ▪ The Fearless Vampire Killers ▪ Mahler ▪ Zama ▪ Delores Claiborne ▪ The Ladykillers ▪ The Rider ▪ Annihilation ▪ At Eternity's Gate ▪ The Favourite ▪ Western

Voyage | Female Gaze | MACBETH | Sokurov | Fassbinder | Greenaway | Denis | Sono | my bookshelf

Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:48 am

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 am
Profile WWW

I liked that one.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 am

Epistemophobia wrote:
If that's in answer to my question, that is certainly not where I heard the story before. :P

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 am
Post Maiden's Voyage: Pastoral, To Die in the Country

Image Image

Pastoral: To Die in the Country – What an great film to watch right after The Hour-Glass Sanatorium! Both are surreal walks through one man’s memories of his most formative childhood years. But, where Sanatorium is full of sorrow and wistful humor, Pastoral's author is sardonic and bitter. But, even in his anger – in his hostility toward his youthful influences, in his failed attempt at a violent cinematic catharsis – there's beauty in thehaunting images of children in distress and tantalizing glimpses of the adult world of sex. And, with that, I realize he hasn't failed after all. Instead, he's channeled all that regret and frustration into a dazzling kaleidoscope of color and symbol, a playground for his memories and dreams, a daring high-wire act for everyone to enjoy. It’s perfect.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:34 pm

Colors.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Pastoral is fantastic. Have you seen Farewell to the Ark yet? I actually like that one even more.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:38 pm

dreiser wrote:
Colors.
Aren't they fantastic? All those circus scenes make me happy, for the colors alone.

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Have you seen Farewell to the Ark yet? I actually like that one even more.
No, I've only seen Emperor Tomato Ketchup and Fruits of Passion. That one's going to the top of my list, though. Thanks!

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:45 pm
Post Maiden's Voyage: Suspiria

Oh, Suspiria is lovely! A horror film I can really sink my teeth into, haha... ew. This may
well be the only horror film that will ever appear in this thread, but it deserves the honor.
I thoroughly enjoyed the Gothic sensibility and the creative kills, things that often leave me
cold. Jessica Harper is a perfect horror heroine, terrified but intelligent. And it's ridiculously
gorgeous, of course. Those colors, the red glow through the sheets, that light bulb shot!
But it's the sound – that crazy, layered, overwhelming soundtrack – that won my heart and
wouldn't let go. My ears are still ringing!

I’ve been giving some thought to why this is the only horror movie I’ve ever loved. I avoid
supernatural thrillers, but I love fairy tales, so putting the witch back into the enchanted
forest is somehow satisfying. I don't like blood and gore, but cleverness distracts me. Death
by stained glass window? My brain is way too busy appreciating that to be disgusted by a
little face slicing! And, oh! that barbed wire room!! I rarely enjoy being scared, but
here I was too drugged by the music and colors to care. The truth is, Argento could have
gotten away with a lot more, could have taken me in way over my head. I’m sorry he didn’t!

More screencaps here.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:29 pm

Film was meant to be played loud, you've not lived until you've experienced Suspiria in projection with blasting speakers. It's one of the great purely aural experiences in cinema.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Out of the Past

What did you think about that one, Maiden?

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:52 pm

fucking hell, was that the quality of the transfer you watched?

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Das wrote:
Film was meant to be played loud, you've not lived until you've experienced Suspiria in projection with blasting speakers. It's one of the great purely aural experiences in cinema.
I did the best I could, hence my "ears ringing" comment.

Trip wrote:
fucking hell, was that the quality of the transfer you watched?
It's the DVD Netflix sent me! It was horrible, yes.

dreiser wrote:
What did you think about that one, Maiden?
I'm still digesting it. I was planning to bump your thread. :P

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:03 pm

oy vey :\

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Shieldmaiden wrote:
I'm still digesting it. I was planning to bump your thread. :P

awesome

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:13 pm
Post Re: Maiden's Voyage: Suspiria

Best.

Profile WWW

You didn't watch it.

The first time I saw Suspiria, it was on vhs. Still amazed me. But then again, I was like, 8 years old.

Thus far, the anchor bay 3-disc and blue underground discs are really the only good copies of Suspiria out there, the blu-ray that came out a year or two ago is blown out to obnoxious levels of saturation and destroys a ton of the beautiful detail in the film's aesthetic design. I don't know if a newer HD rip has surfaced or not, I hope so though.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Trip wrote:
You didn't watch it.
I can see that. :(

EDITED to add: I updated my post with better pics, but I still need to see it like that somehow.

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Epistemophobia wrote:
Best.

Nice to see that your videos haven't been abruptly deleted. :(

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:28 pm
Profile WWW

I found a middle ground. It's not as sharp as Bear's clip (which seems oddly bright, actually), but it's way better than the Netflix disc!

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:33 am

Das, is the third picture above what you meant by the "blown out" blu ray? It's too bright for a spooky night-time scene, and I see that the texture in the wallpaper and the yellowish glow of the light bulb filament have been lost.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:51 pm

I prefer the bright copy, actually. It burns your eyes.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:09 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, bright is right. Or something.

WCoF I II IIIL'EtàL'Eau한국88ShadowsBerlin thırd ISOLATIONVistaVision

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:12 pm
Profile WWW

But the bright one makes it look like a hospital room, lit by an array of fluorescent lights. The one in the middle looks more like a bedroom, lit by a single bulb. I wouldn't be surprised if perfect were somewhere between two and three.

/overthinking

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Nah, the middle.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:45 pm

Trip :)

The sound is drastically better too! I'll (re)watch it tonight and see what I missed.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:55 pm

The Blue Underground DVD wins. This transfer is beautiful.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:03 am

Oh, wow.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:19 am

I believe that is the DVD I have. Back in New Zealand, though.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 am
Profile WWW

Epistemophobia wrote:
I believe that is the DVD I have. Back in New Zealand, though.
I will own it Monday. :)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:19 am

Suspiria < The Fifth Cord

But yeah, Deep Red and Suspiria are still my favorite Argentos. I wasn't even big on Opera.

Every time I see another film from him, I wonder why he bothered to try to tell stories, as he's awful at it. I love Amer, and that was clearly Argento inspired -- just with all the bullshit cut out.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:28 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:

But yeah, Deep Red and Suspiria are still my favorite Argentos. I wasn't even big on Opera.

Every time I see another film from him, I wonder why he bothered to try to tell stories, as he's awful at it. I love Amer, and that was clearly Argento inspired -- just with all the bullshit cut out.

hahahaha.

No. Suspiria's not really a giallo anyway. He only gets bad at about The Stendahl Syndrome.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:57 am

I never said he's a bad director, D-ASS; he's just an awful storyteller, and never seemed to be able to filter himself in that regard.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
I never said he's a bad director, D-ASS. He's just an awful storyteller, and never seemed to be able to filter himself in that regard.

I wouldn't really agree with that either. He's not graceful at it, but.. Tenebre/Tenebrae has some fantastic storytelling in it, subversive little jabs and such.

most of his stories are pretty secondary to everything else most of the time in his earlier films.

And Opera's probably the least effective of the major Argento films.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:01 am

Das wrote:
Tenebre/Tenebrae has some fantastic storytelling in it, subversive little jabs and such.

Not surprising then that one is my favorite Argento.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:05 am

Das wrote:
And Opera's probably the least effective of the major Argento films.

A boldfaced lie!

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:28 am

Colonel Kurz wrote:
A boldfaced lie!

I've seen every film Argento's made with the exception of 2 tv episodes and Dracula 3-d. Would you like to fight? Because j'accuse! You sir are the liar with a bold face. My opinion is super factual.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:03 am

Bandy Greensacks wrote:
Already at the top of my queue, though I don't see how it could beat Suspiria!

Das wrote:
Suspiria's not really a giallo anyway. He only gets bad at about The Stendahl Syndrome.
What? Everytime I watch a giallo, someone tells me it's not really a giallo. :?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:05 am

Shieldmaiden wrote:
Already at the top of my queue, though I don't see how it could beat Suspiria!

What? Everytime I watch a giallo, someone tells me it's not really a giallo. :?

Suspiria is a fairy tale. With throat slitting and dog attacks.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:08 am

Das wrote:
Suspiria is a fairy tale. With throat slitting and dog attacks.
Can't argue with that. :)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:21 am

Das wrote:
I've seen every film Argento's made with the exception of 2 tv episodes and Dracula 3-d. Would you like to fight? Because j'accuse! You sir are the liar with a bold face. My opinion is super factual.
I have an army of these:

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:30 am

I'll release my covens upon you.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:34 am

Das wrote:
I'll release my covens upon you.

All they can do is make me stumble.

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:48 am

Das wrote:
Because j'accuse!

:heart:

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:50 am

Opera is brilliant. Any opinions otherwise are empirically false and punishable by death.

next projection | twitter | frames within frames
| letterboxd

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 48  Next